Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Tracula posted:

With Patreon being such a big thing I'm astonished Yahtzee hasn't gone independent like Jim Sterling did. I'm sure he'd do pretty drat good for himself.

Doesn't Yahtzee own a bar? I think at this point his web stuff, while likely being a significant source of side-income, is something he's not interested enough in or reliant enough on, to maintain on his own. I think he's perfectly happy having a publisher do all the marketing and webpage updating for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

At least now he has more time to choreograph his ninja fight scenes.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mad Lupine posted:

At least now he has more time to choreograph his ninja fight scenes.

More time to talk with himself, himself, a bunny, and himself.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's probably brilliant and people just aren't getting it.

Or it sucks. But I'm gonna lean on the former til I see it myself.

It's also that I feel like The Wachowskis are artists that need more support even though their only "Good" movies are the first Matrix and Speed Racer(It's everything I wanted from a live action adaptation of a 70's poorly dubbed anime :colbert:). Even if they do suck, they are the only ones making these kinds of big films.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 14, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Speed Racer is one visually incredible film. The first time I saw the film I didn't much care for it besides the impeccable casting and visual effects but the second time around I really enjoyed it and each time I see it I like it even more.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Cloud Atlas is really good. It's not a straight adaptation of David Mitchell's book; it has its own distinct creative vision that you don't see in a lot of movies. The Wachowskis actually own because they've got some seriously lofty ambitions in a lot of their work. Even when it turns out bad, they take way more risks than other sci-fi directors.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jimbot posted:

Speed Racer is one visually incredible film. The first time I saw the film I didn't much care for it besides the impeccable casting and visual effects but the second time around I really enjoyed it and each time I see it I like it even more.

I have a really hard time hating anything with John Goodman in it personally and my god did he elevate the gently caress out of that movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
John Goodman is in Speed Racer? poo poo I might have to stop ignoring that movie. Wachowski-fied anime featuring one of the biggest hams this side of Brian Blessed sounds crazy enough to watch.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Can someone summarize what happened with MovieBob and why he's fired?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

senae posted:

That kind of came later actually. Some stuff went down during Wolf3D, where Hall and Romero were trying to convince Carmack to invent push walls, and he refused (he actually got around to it nd didn't mention it to anyone until a few weeks before launch iirc) but Carmack apparently didn't do much WRT design until Quake because that's not what he was good at. Quake and Quake 2 ruined everything. though, and according to Masters of Doom it's around that time Carmack started to become impossible to work with.

:ughh: OK I need to reread Masters of Doom. I even just bought it on the Kindle app for my tablet, I just need to finish Anthony Bourdain's book first. :shobon: (also a very fun read)

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"Masters of Doom" is a very fun read. Its funny how much its subject matter could be applied to the creative process behind music, movies, TV, etc. People from humble beginnings with all-too-human flaws rapidly gain massive fame and success, get giant egos, and strain everyone around them to the breaking point.

Also I am kind of curious about "Jupiter Ascending". Not curious enough to seek it out in the theaters, but it sounds crazy and weird enough (a lot of people are describing it as 'a light novel anime got a $200 million budget') to be worth a rental. The Wachowskis are nuts, and I think "The Matrix" sequels were godawful, but there's something I kind of like about their projects even if I don't quite buy into their ideas of freedom and expression. They very much reconstitute any adaptations they do to fit their ideals, especially "V for Vendetta" and to lesser but still noticeable extent "Cloud Atlas". At the very least, they're always interesting to talk about.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

Can someone summarize what happened with MovieBob and why he's fired?

Not really, this seems like it came out of nowhere even for him. I skimmed the comments on his blog and there was at least one gamergater claiming this as a victory but who knows really. :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://blip.tv/sagereviews/anime-abandon-ninja-resurrection-7160063

Sage reviews an anime where Jesus is reborn in Japan, turns into a Terracotta dragon, fights an historical figure and proceeds to be reborn as Satan by ripping himself out of a woman's womb.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

They very much reconstitute any adaptations they do to fit their ideals, especially "V for Vendetta" and to lesser but still noticeable extent "Cloud Atlas". At the very least, they're always interesting to talk about.

I felt V for Vendetta was about as faithful as you'd want a V for Vendetta movie to be. I didn't love the comic, or the movie, but I fully enjoyed both of them and didn't think much was lost in translation. I still can't believe people got pissed that the then-contemporary takedown of Thatcher got updated to a then-contemporary takedown of Bush for an American film. Like oh no, they didn't maintain the specific political undertones that most people watching the movie would have 0 context for, the butchery!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

John Goodman is in Speed Racer? poo poo I might have to stop ignoring that movie. Wachowski-fied anime featuring one of the biggest hams this side of Brian Blessed sounds crazy enough to watch.

The movie justifies itself with it's first scene where Speed races the ghost of his dead brother. That the rest of the film is also good is just a nice bonus.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

What exactly are you talking about?

Gamergate. Say what you will about the man, but nobody save Sarkeesian got under Gamergate's skin more than Moviebob. If you put his name in youtube, half of the hits that come up are MRA types angrily denouncing him. I think even Aurini even dedicated a few videos to him being a traitor beta male or something. I know a bunch of gamergaters we're trying to get him fired from the site, and I know they are going to be slapping their dicks together over this announcement and take credit for it.

I wish him the best either way. He might put his foot in his mouth half the time, but for the most part his heart seems to be in the right place, aside from the Weird Judy Blume and Other M stuff.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

I felt V for Vendetta was about as faithful as you'd want a V for Vendetta movie to be. I didn't love the comic, or the movie, but I fully enjoyed both of them and didn't think much was lost in translation. I still can't believe people got pissed that the then-contemporary takedown of Thatcher got updated to a then-contemporary takedown of Bush for an American film. Like oh no, they didn't maintain the specific political undertones that most people watching the movie would have 0 context for, the butchery!

I've honestly never heard that criticism for V for Vendetta; the main criticism I've always heard is that the original comic painted V with a more questionably-moral brush, while he's more blatantly positioned as the protagonist in the movie.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
It's almost like The Escapist is trying to self destruct. I hope Bob continues his movie reviews and The Big Picture on his site (because yeah, his Overthinker stuff is godawful).

And yeah, you guys missed the point of his ASM2 review. It's not that the movie was so bad (it was). It was that it represented Sony cynically carving up the Spiderman character and his stories into an easily marketable, totally soulless 6 year plan of more bad movies that do a disservice to the source material. Does "This movie made me want to throw away my Spiderman toys and quit" go a little too far? Sure, but it's hyperbole.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MonsieurChoc posted:

The movie justifies itself with it's first scene where Speed races the ghost of his dead brother. That the rest of the film is also good is just a nice bonus.
For me, the movie justified itself with the lines "Was that a ninja?" "More like a non-ja. Terrible what passes for a ninja these days."

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'd still almost defend his ASM2 review, having not seen the movie myself, simply because I hated the prior Kurtzman/Orci film to death; and at that point there was no end in sight with Sony constantly making more passionless Spider-Man films just because. The studio couldn't have been more transparent with the cynicism of their Spidey plans; which could have been forgivable had the two films been decent (which they weren't). I only stop defending Bob when I remember how he righteously mocked other geeks' nerd rage.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mars4523 posted:

It's almost like The Escapist is trying to self destruct.

If they wanted to do that they'd fire Yahtzee. Until then they'll have enough site traffic to keep themselves afloat, though yeah, losing the two other big names that draw in traffic isn't painting a rosy picture for the site's future. What else do they have, Unskippable?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

I remember it came out and a bunch of grognards were all having a whinge about how they were furious that it wasn't the Speed Racer equivalent of The Dark Knight even though they deserved "edgier fare" (:qq:).

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
People really wanted an "edgy" Speed Racer?

Just... :wtc:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alacron posted:

Nerds will never be satisfied. No matter what.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Phelan and I did a Valentine's episode of Movie Nights on the Love Bug reboot starring Bruce Campbell:
http://phelous.com/2015/02/14/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-love-bug-1997/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If they wanted to do that they'd fire Yahtzee. Until then they'll have enough site traffic to keep themselves afloat, though yeah, losing the two other big names that draw in traffic isn't painting a rosy picture for the site's future. What else do they have, Unskippable?

At this point I think Yahtzee sticking around officially qualifies as an act of charity. He could go independent without missing a step and has other business ventures to make up any lost revenue. Maybe he feels obligated to the place that gave him his first big break.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Idran posted:

I've honestly never heard that criticism for V for Vendetta; the main criticism I've always heard is that the original comic painted V with a more questionably-moral brush, while he's more blatantly positioned as the protagonist in the movie.
Exactly. The Wachowskis turn him into a vehicle for their ideals about expression and freedom and it feels a little weird given how outright brutal he is in the comics.

Alacron posted:

Ah yes, because something as batshit and laughable as this needs to be dark and edgy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think Speed Racer came out at the tail end of when darker and edgier was still very hip and trendy. Now we're starting to see an actual mainstream backlash against it, but at the time it wouldn't have been out of place amongst the other movie adaptations being made. It would have been a terrible decision, but that's somewhat hindsight.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Miss Wallace posted:

Phelan and I did a Valentine's episode of Movie Nights on the Love Bug reboot starring Bruce Campbell:
http://phelous.com/2015/02/14/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-love-bug-1997/

Fake edit: Sorry for the length; this became more of a brain dump than I thought.

Saw it on Patreon (patreonbrag). Really enjoyed the third episode of Movie Nights. Of course, I am a self-admittedly biased fan of you & Phelan's crossovers. (Phelons? Phallisons? Ælan?)

Funny comments, good insights, everything you're really good at. There was just one thing that, I dunno, felt off and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I was giving it some thought, and I think I know what it was (with the obvious caveat that this just may be me).

So the show format seems to pretty much be "Opening music => Intro movie => Talk about movie". I think there isn't enough of a transition from intro to discussion. There's no clear demarkation point.

I think why it stands out is because the intro tends to be a very rough overview of the movie, and some teasers of what you're going to talk about. Example. "This movie has one of the weirdest toaster scenes I've ever seen. But it also has some sweet moments between a monkey and a wrench." It's kinda a promise to the viewer "hang in there, we'll get to these things", setting up an expectation. The viewer (or at least while I view it =) ) is watching those parts going "that's cool! that's cool!" getting pumped up, and just can't wait to get into it.

The discussion is actually talking about it, resolves those promises, pays off the viewer. Showing the monkey making sweet tender love to the wrench and talking about it. (Sidenote: I really want to see this movie now).

What I think is that "I couldn't put my finger on it" was the intro and the discussion would kinda get blurred together; there'd even be some points where you flip back and forth between them. So you'd into a point {interest piqued} then discuss part of the movie {okay, we're in the discussion part now, what about point 1} then intro another point {wait, I thought we were discussing the movie} talk about another. It's a bit of mental whiplash, and it confuses the expectation of "when does the review actually start?!?"

I suppose the nearest analog I can think of is RLM's Best of the Worst. They do an intro (reading the back of the box), set up some expectations (30-ish seconds of them watching the movie), then explicitly transition into a discussion. And even in the discussion, they have an intro (we watched XXX... a movie about YYY... so Jay, what did you think?)

Obviously not saying "copy RLM" or have a giant title card with "NOW WE TALK!!!" =) Just using an example.

tldr: I never got why these go at the end instead of the beginning of a post. If you aren't reading it, you wouldn't read this part, would you? Summary (of opinion) "intro => clear break point => discuss". =)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I'll definitely try to be clearer with the summary beforehand; thanks for the advice. :)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Miss Wallace posted:

I'll definitely try to be clearer with the summary beforehand; thanks for the advice. :)

My favorite part of this post: the fact that it implies more episodes! {celebration smiley face if I knew how to insert them}

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Was Moviebob the guy who wrote that god awful book about Mario 3?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Yup.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
It occurs to me that Moviebob's firing from The Escapist was entirely motivated by Gamergate for a few key reasons. First, Bob is a regular contributor. He provides content twice weekly on Tuesdays and Fridays every week in a year, even on holidays. Second, Bob's an outspoken and self-identifiying progressive. How progressive he is is up for debate since he's vehemently defended both Metroid: Other M and Sucker Punch which were both overtly objectifying towards their respective female characters. But then again, I disgress. Third, he's been a stanuch supporter of Ms Sarkeesian from the moment she announced her "Tropes vs Women" series which preceded the Gamergate shitstorm. As a producer and host, Thee Escapist would be really, really stupid to let go of a regular contributor like Bob unless his views and content were to come in direct conflict with the views of their key demographics. Most persons who play videogames aren't supporters of Gamergate, of course, but the ones who do are especially vocal ones. It makes entire sense that the powers that be at The Escapist act like sheep and give into the demmands of the mob by unceremoniously throwing him off their site.

Personally I dislike Bob. I find his...let's say thoughtlessness towards minorities (women and dark-skinned persons like myself) infuriating and symptomatic of the larger problem with self-identified progressives/liberals. Bob and I are both very political minded persons and that's the source of my dislike of Bob--I feel like he's so close to being right but he won't let go of certain immaturities and misconeptions that he's so used to. That and he looks like a funhouse reflection of myself--an older manchild Benny, if you will. In any case, I still feel really bad for Bob being sacked. Bob if you can read this, I hope you find work elsewhere. Don't listen to the GG'ers. Get a Kickstarter/Indiegogo/Patreon and go from there. Heck, I from time to time enjoy your videos. You've got a good head on your sholders, buddy. Keep it up :unsmith:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 15, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Alacron posted:

Wouldn't a edgy Speed Racer just be Death Race?

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I kinda dig Moviebob because of his idiosyncrasies. He can be a dumb, but also a notdumb. Escapist tries to be apolitical and he joined the "Leftists Embarassing Themselves" bandwagon with the Hebdo thing. He seemed to fall into a rut, too, and was just Marvel Hype Man for a while and it was tiring. Maybe someone at the Escapist noticed.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Alacron posted:

It's made Warner/DC billions and they aren't going to change, unfortunetly :smith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

Despite everyone saying Jupiter Ascending sucked, I still want to see it. The Wachowskis are almost the only people making big sci-fi, space operas these days (Besides Guardians of the Galaxy)

Sure, there's a new Star Wars movie out at the end of the year.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, there's a new Star Wars movie out at the end of the year.

I'm not sure many people have particularly high hopes for a new Star Wars tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I was going to make a joke about how this thread's opinion of Bob would flip as soon as it was mentioned that GGer(s?) had said anything disparaging about him. I didn't make it because I felt it was too inflammatory and unnecessary.

I wish I made that joke.

• Locked thread