Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing those two things up. I'll edit that into the post at some point.

tomanton posted:

Thanks again for seeing through another LP.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it always stood out to me that this game's "bad" endings were much harder to get than the good ones. IIRC in vanilla, in order to side with LaCroix you have to complete the Elizabeth Dane and the museum without once being spotted and can't ever be rude to him. Is it even possible to lock yourself out of the Anarch ending?

You can gently caress your way out of every ending if you so wish, bar the independent one. In most cases, it suffices to simply be a dick - sometimes in multiple occasions.

Be a dick to Strauss, lock yourself out of the Camarilla ending. Be a dick to LaCroix, lock yourself out of the LaCroix ending. Be a dick to Nines, lock yourself out of the Anarch ending. Be a dick to Ming-Xiao, lock yourself out of the Kuei-jin ending.

Getting the endings is a more complex affair with some, yes, but the Ming-Xiao ending is pretty simple, since it only seems to involve dialogue. Here's a full list, courtesy of the GameBanshee walkthrough that I followed for this LP:

quote:

If you have been pleasant toward the Anarchs by helping them with the A Plague For the Angels, Attention Whore, and Fun With Pestilence quests, then you will have the choice to take their side and experience the Anarchs Ending.

If you finished the The Regent's Riddle quest and didn't reveal Maximillian Strauss' secret to Isaac during the Gargoyle Removal Service quest, then you have the option to experience the Camarilla Ending.

If you believed Ming Xiao when you spoke with her at the end of the Hell at the Hotel Hallowbrook quest and were pleasant to her during your time in Chinatown, then you have the option to experience the Kuei-jin Ending.

If you haven't questioned the demands of Prince LaCroix and have completed his quests to specification (not killing guards, etc), then you will have the choice to experience the Prince LaCroix Ending.

Regardless of your actions throughout the game, you always have the option to renounce all of the city's factions and take the No Allegiance Ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I'm actually a little sad I voted for the gently caress everything ending now. The Camarilla/Raiders of the Lost Ark ending is pretty rad, and I'd never seen it before.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

TheRagamuffin posted:

I'm actually a little sad I voted for the gently caress everything ending now. The Camarilla/Raiders of the Lost Ark ending is pretty rad, and I'd never seen it before.

Yeah, Strauss gives the coolest endings.....and havens.....and he's just cool.

I always liked him.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

mauman posted:

Yeah, Strauss gives the coolest endings.....and havens.....and he's just cool.

I always liked him.

He has the best coat in the city. Of course he's cool.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
So is there a specific term/race for vampires that only feed on other vampires, aside from the andedeluvians? I'm thinking something like the hinge-jaws from Blade 2.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't think so. I mean the Methuselahs end up at that point too but it's really just a thing that happens as the curse progresses.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Congrats on finishing the LP with style! :toot:

So, how many endings are original and which one are Wesp/modified by Wesp?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kulkasha posted:

So is there a specific term/race for vampires that only feed on other vampires, aside from the andedeluvians? I'm thinking something like the hinge-jaws from Blade 2.

It's not really in the mechanics for OWoD, just a thing that is in the setting. It's a consequence of a high power stat in NWoD, but they don't look any different.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pierzak posted:

Congrats on finishing the LP with style! :toot:

So, how many endings are original and which one are Wesp/modified by Wesp?

From memory the only ones he added were the werewolf ending and the Sabbat ending.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
This didn't get posted but in the unlikely case any of you hadn't seen the ending credits already, here's the closing track. I think the instrumentals sound similar enough to the game's OST and the lyrics could be seen from a few different characters perspectives such as IMO LaCroix at the end looking back. Overall a good choice but decide for yourself. Lyrics in description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMDI2G9CMsY

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

This didn't get posted
Yes it did, and I even linked to the official music video. But it's good enough to warrant posting again. :v:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

From what I read the Assamites have a stronger urge to drink blood of vampires and have a spoiled aura even if they don't engage in diablerie but even they only occassionally snack on other vampires if I remember things correctly.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It was some WoD goon who posted about Assamites in this thread. Baali cursed them first with that appetite, Tremere came in later. Ur-Shulgi woke up, went "lolnope" at Tremere but because Baali were around his time, that curse is much harder to break.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
The man with the crest is Isaac. He's a Baron and there's crests all over the walls of his office.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love that they put a prophecy in the early game that was actually pretty accurate.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Welcome to the next installment of Bloodlines Mysteries! This time, we'll take a look at a topic that has been discussed quite a bit, but still bears looking at: Who is the taxi driver?

Basically, as far as I can tell, there are two ways of looking at this: The Troika way, and the White Wolf way. We'll start this off by looking at it the Troika way - what can we see from the evidence given to us in the game?

First, let's check out the taxi driver's aura using Auspex. It's purple! And that means... actually, I have no loving clue what that means. I can't find any information on what aura color means in this game. Plenty of information regarding regular VtM Auspex, but a cursory glance reveals that most characters have a white aura (meaning "innocent"), even those that you could kill with no Humanity loss. Furthermore, I don't think the VtM rules don't mean "innocent" as in "hasn't done any wrong" but more "like a child would be", untainted by the darkness of reality or some bullshit like that, given that the other colors also all mean different emotions. I'm pretty sure that the prostitutes are anything but innocent. Purple, in this case, means "aggressive", and I'm really not sure the taxi driver falls under that.

I took a quick check, and the other character with a purple aura I found was Bruno Giovanni, but only while he's behind the locked doors in the mansion. If you incite combat, his aura changes to... orange (meaning "afraid")? Well, good to see that at least somebody gives Melissa some respect, even if it's Malk!Melissa. Still, I'm really not sure what to make of that, just that it's something that bears pointing out because it's fairly unique.

Anyway, the most telling thing about the taxi driver is the conversation we have with him while trying to decide who to side with. There's a few interesting things here that bear pointing out. First, the conversation we've already had as Ventrue!Melissa has these tidbits:

1) He says there is no need to keep up the Masquerade, since he's also Kindred. Might not sound like much, but it's still something.
2) More importantly, he mentions Enoch - in this case meaning the First City, not the person that ruled it for a while and then got Embraced by Caine, who then went on to rule the city and name it Enoch - as "not having lasted forever either", comparing it to the Anarch Free State experiment that would come to an end with LaCroix retaking LA for good. A short primer on the city and the poo poo surrounding it:

Basically, it was a city ruled by mortals that Caine wandered into after bopping around the Land of Nod for an "eon" alone to be amongst mortals again. Being powerful, the king of the city, Enoch, passed his title to Caine, and the city thrived. Enoch, seeing the power of Caine, wanted to be like him and wished to be Embraced. Caine did so, and eventually Embraced two other people after Enoch wanted some Kindred companions. He also renamed the city (previously named Ubar) Enoch in honor of the previous king.

Enoch (the person), Irad and Zillah then made up the Second Generation and went on to sire the Third Generation - the Antediluvians that would go on to form the basis for the clans. Caine then basically went "stop that poo poo, no more siring please" and they obeyed. Enoch (the city) thrived further, displaying an unique degree of Kindred cooperation, until eventually God eventually got really pissed and flooded the world - check your local Bible for more details.

Now, why would a taxi driver vampire know about the city of Enoch and why it's an apt comparison to the Anarch Free State (being a utopian society where Kindred just get along)? The Caine mythos is mired in mystery, the Anarchs don't really give a poo poo about it (having bigger problems), and the Camarilla deny the existence of Caine and make materials about his mythos hard to come by. Three options here that make sense come to me:

A) He's Sabbat - the Sabbat believe that Caine will return and help them take over the world, and probably have some material regarding the mythos at hand. Still, how would a taxi driver end up with historical artifacts describing the Caine mythos - that kind of stuff is usually locked up with the higher-ups, isn't it? Furthermore, the Enoch story probably isn't that interesting to the Sabbat - they're more interested in the part with the killing and stuff.
B) He's friends with a historian - like Beckett - and picked that up in a discussion over politics and stuff. I'm not quite sure what would speak against this theory beyond it being a fairly contrived situation - and there's plenty of contrived to go around regardless, so that's not really a point against it. I guess the point is that the next option is one that has more things speaking for it:
C) He knows because he was there, ruling the city himself. The taxi driver is Caine, basically. Sounds out of left field, but actually makes sense, going over the next few bits of information. For this, we go through the taxi conversation again, this time as a Malk!Melissa. The Malkavian, given her Insight, has a certain feeling regarding the taxi driver once she actually gets into his taxi with an uncertain destination. That feeling leads to a certain reaction:

A mixture of making GBS threads herself in fear and a strange clarity in just exactly who she's dealing with.

Oh, no... I don't want to know... I don't want to know.
I'll drive... if you figure out where you want to be taken, tell me.
But you've made that mistake before.
Yes.
I want to get out. This isn't happening.
No.
Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop.
WHAT DO YOU WANT? HELP ME!
There is something troubling you?
You know... you know... don't you?
In your voice, there is desperation... certainly there is an exit out of your predicament?

And from there we segue into the regular conversation about just who to side with. Other choice gems of this early part of the conversation include "Is it? No, it can't be...", "FOOL! DON'T YOU SEE? WE'VE ALREADY BEEN JUDGED!", "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" and just completely breaking down, presumably crawling into the fetal position and just sobbing. The basic gist boils down to "this guy is Bad News with capital letters, but only the Malkavian can see it". Now, that could also apply to Antediluvians and the like, but those wouldn't be taxi drivers. Caine, on the other hand, is less hosed up in that way and more hosed up in others, particularly in being cursed to wander eternally without a home (sounds like being a cabbie would go well with that sort of problem, right?). He's not going to go and destroy the world because he just awoke from a really loving long Torpor and is really hungry, but is more viable to just gently caress around in strange ways.

Furthermore, think about what's been going on in the city. Everybody you talk to has been feeling something off. Something powerful going on. Most assume that it has to do with the Ankaran Sarcophagus, since its arrival coincides with the feeling. But as we've seen, there's just explosives in there. So what caused every Kindred in the city to perk up? Possibly the arrival of a very powerful vampire? As we've previously established, it's not probable that it's an Antediluvian or the like, since those are way past hosed and would probably eat the city, if not the world. If they were causing this tension, something would have happened. So, how about Caine showing up? Also, let's just assume that the taxi driver is Caine. We know that the taxi driver has been working together with Jack, meaning that Jack would know about Caine being in town and causing this feeling of dread. Perfect opportunity to put that scheme with the sarcophagus into play, right? Too many things just fall right into place if you assume that Caine has shown up to town and is going around with his cab.

Also, recall one of Rosa's prophecies from last time - she also pointed towards Caine being the cabbie.

Of course, this is still just wild theorycrafting. No, no real hard evidence just yet. He could just be a mysterious dude. But here's the clincher, and the reason why I referred to "what Troika says" before. If you go into the game files, particularly into the sound files for the dialogue, and check out the "main characters" folder, you'll find this.

And you guessed it, the "caine" folder contains the audio files for the taxi driver. From Troika's point of view, the taxi driver is Caine, end of story.

And then a big can of worms is opened, because surprise, surprise, it turns out that Caine is actually doing something different at that time in White Wolf canon! I'm not entirely sure what the exact problem is, and sources are conflicting, but what it comes around to is that the official White Wolf word is that the taxi driver is not Caine, and instead a Malkavian that believes himself to be Caine that travels around with Jack. This opens another can of worms regarding the main company's word vs. DM Fiat, and a whole bunch of other stuff goes on that I don't even want to get into.

I'm just going to say that from the story Troika wanted to tell, disconnected from everything else in the WoD canon that might contradict it, the taxi driver is Caine. Everything else that comes into contradiction is the result of the massive clusterfuck that ensues when you allow a pivotal character to be used in a story you're not directly supervising and it suddenly turns out your own story goes out the window because of that.

Next time, we're going to look at another clusterfuck - just what the gently caress happened at Grout's mansion?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Right, so this is the point where I'd like to particularly invite the thread to join in (those of you that are still there, that is), because this is where things get more vague. Rosa's prophecies were fairly straightforward once you know the bigger picture, and it's pretty clear Troika intended for the cabbie to be Caine, but the next few topics are more mysterious. The first one I want to start with, as mentioned, is:

What the gently caress happened at Grout's mansion?

There's a regular narrative you could assume (Ming shows up disguised as Nines, kills Grout because LaCroix wants him dead, leaves, then you show up to provide a witness account to frame Nines), but there's a few questions I have that lead me to think there's more behind this (Grout knew there was an assassin on his rear end, why would he just take it? Grout was missing for several days, does that mean that Ming-Xiao just stayed there for several days to make sure you see her as Nines walking out of the building? Why was she clearly flustered when you talk to her when this was a planned thing?). Here's what I think happened - I'll try to bring as many factors in as possible to create a full picture:

Prologue - before Grout's disappearance:

- Grout is spending time in his madhouse, doing experiments and having friendly chats with the voices in his head. Being in a position of power as the Malkavian Primogen and being paranoid thanks to the voices revealing secrets about other vampires to him, he further secludes himself, though not to the point of outright disappearance.
- Ming-Xiao is looking for an "in" to the Kindred society to try and gain the upper hand somehow.
- Meanwhile, at Casa de la Croix, Seb is pissed. He's heard through his informants that Grout knows things he shouldn't know and is becoming mistrusting, potentially to the point of rebellion of some kind (which goes along with his further seclusion). Furthermore, he's still seething from when Nines hosed him over in the theatre and ruined his display of power. If only there was a situation that could allow him to just remove these nuisances...
- Also, the Society of Leopold and Bach are still searching for Grout's lair after having a run-in with some Malks, but have had no success so far.

Act I - Grout disappears:

- LaCroix, having some sort of constant surveillance on Grout, hears that Grout has completely retreated into his mansion. He sees this as an opportunity to strike. Surely, the other Primogen of the city will come to him soon, asking him to find out what happened to him. Now what if it just happened to turn out that somebody killed him, maybe somebody high up in the local Anarch community (after all, they hate the Camarilla)?
- Knowing that the Kuei-jin have shapeshifting powers, LaCroix goes to Ming-Xiao, who gladly agrees to help, given that that gives her the "in" she wanted. Both parties will continue to exploit this "alliance" for all it's worth.
- The plan is simple: Eventually, the Primogen will show up and ask for an investigation into Grout's disappearance. At that point, Ming-Xiao will go out, infiltrate Grout's mansion while disguised as Nines, kill Grout, then leave in such a way that Melissa will be sure to run into her.
- Meanwhile, Grout is aware of the plan against him (thanks to the voices) and is making preparations. He records the audio logs for Melissa to hear (trying to turn LaCroix's agent against him), chains a skeleton to the bed in his inner sanctum, stakes it and puts some ashes over it (to fool the assassin coming) and releases the crazies and gives them some weapons (to make it look like he was holed up and trying to defend himself).
- The Society of Leopold finds the location of Grout's mansion and plans their assault.
- Sure enough, the Primogen show up, ask for an investigation, and LaCroix sends Melissa.

Act II - The plan goes into action:

- Grout makes his escape through a hidden passage that has to be somewhere in this crazy house and leaves to chill with some Malk (because he obviously has a fallback prepared, being paranoid and all).
- Ming-Xiao goes out to Grout's mansion and takes a shorter route (through an upper window or something, she probably got the plans from LaCroix for a quicker entry and exit). She makes it to the inner sanctum, finds the staked skeleton with the ashes and assumes somebody already got to him. Confused, she makes her exit.
- Melissa arrives at the mansion and runs into the confused Ming-Xiao, disguised as Nines.
- Bach begins his assault on Grout's mansion and prepares setting fire to the place.
- Melissa makes her way through the mansion, listening to the audio logs, and eventually finds the skeleton.
- Bach sets fire to the place, destroying all the evidence of the faked death and the audio logs showing Grout's distrust against LaCroix.

Act III - Aftermath:

- Ming-Xiao reports to LaCroix that Grout is dead (no reason to stir the poo poo with a guy you're going to backstab later anyway) and Melissa spotted her as Nines. Ming-Xiao is happy, she now has a working agreement with the Prince, giving her several advantages.
- Melissa returns, reports that Grout is dead and she saw Nines coming out of the mansion, prompting LaCroix to call the blood hunt. LaCroix is happy, thinking he got rid of both a troublesome Anarch and a troublesome Primogen.
- Grout's still chillin' with some Malk.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Regarding the Cabbie as Caine bit, one thing I think is glossed over a bit is the overall timeline of when the game takes place. Namely that Gehenna's going to happen soon.
The only evidence that has all of the vampires thinking towards that end (even if they don't believe in it) is the bad mojo going around and tying it to the Antideluvian in the Sarcophagus.

Since the ending reveals it's just a regular sarcophagus that ties the uneasy feeling to Caine being in town. Which means that 'Gehenna is coming' is also something of DM-Fiat in this case. So if you think of that as being a giant false-alarm, it solidifies Caine being the cabby and discounts White Wolf's say on the matter since I doubt they have his entire history mapped out.

As for Grout, there's two ways I think it can go down. One is the way that TheMcD put it with Grout being Malkavian-prepared and getting out of dodge while the getting was still good.

The other way is that he semi-committed Suicide. Why? To join his wife of course. Following the other thread that's developed in the audiologs he finally realizes/gives up hope on bringing her back from the dead. He then gets word to Grout where he's at, cuffs one hand to his bed and uses the other to stake himself so he can't do anything, even unintentionally, to save himself when Grout shows up.

Ming Xiao as Nines shows up then either trips up/intentionally release Grouts subjects for Melissa to handle, finds Grout, goes :psyduck: and offs him easily before getting out.

That's my take on the mystery at least.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, they were really working the Malk's angle, weren't they?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I still like the Melissa is Grout explanation.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

EponymousMrYar posted:

Regarding the Cabbie as Caine bit, one thing I think is glossed over a bit is the overall timeline of when the game takes place. Namely that Gehenna's going to happen soon.
The only evidence that has all of the vampires thinking towards that end (even if they don't believe in it) is the bad mojo going around and tying it to the Antideluvian in the Sarcophagus.

Since the ending reveals it's just a regular sarcophagus that ties the uneasy feeling to Caine being in town. Which means that 'Gehenna is coming' is also something of DM-Fiat in this case. So if you think of that as being a giant false-alarm, it solidifies Caine being the cabby and discounts White Wolf's say on the matter since I doubt they have his entire history mapped out.
Actually, if Messerach is a methusulah in torpor, then it is quite possible they have access to a high end presence power that they can use to create that eerie feeling over the area.

As for Grout, you are all reading way too much into it. The Malkavian clan curse ensures they always have a dementation. Should their existing one be cured, they immediately develop a new one. His original one was a relatively mild manifestation, believing that he was diseased and not a supernatural monster and manifested in his endless search for a cure. Meeting others changed that slowly. It then flipped to paranoia along with the malk insight. Until very recently, relatively speaking, Grout had not been in contact with the rest of vampire society and had no knowledge of them. There is also absolutely no evidence to suggest that Grout had any form of martial training.

Grout knew that Lacroix was up to something unspeakably evil, and he knew that an attempt would be made on his life. So he arranged for Bach to know of him, in the hope that even if he did die, Lacroix would be killed too. Just because a malk has insight does not make them omniscient. Ming Xiao walked in over his defences which were woefully inadequate to protect from most vampires and other creatures (See audio log where he mentions how the house was built with defence in mind).

Honestly, the speculation about Grout is entirely based on him being an omniscient super-Malkavian in the face of evidence that shows that he has always been a shut-in and, more recently, a paranoid lunatic. It attributes to him skills, disciplines, knowledges, and abilities not in evidence, and directly contradicts a bunch of the established facts about him.

He was a troubled, paranoid Malkavian who knew too much, and was killed as part of a greater game. There's nothing more to it.

That being said, it is a pet theory so people will defend it to the death. :shrug:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Who is the guy that sends chess tips throughout the game?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

theory seems to be Jack or Beckett, Jack seems to be the more popular one. I don't think it's Jack, he's sneaky and manipulative, but I think if he's giving hints out, he's not going to be using chess metaphors - not the way his dialogue is written, he seems more direct about telling you what you need to do, but not telling you the real reason.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 21, 2015

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Pickled Tink posted:

As for Grout, you are all reading way too much into it.

This is kind of where I'm at on this whole Grout thing, too. I didn't think much of him when I played the game so I was kind of surprised to see the level of interest in him in the LP, he was just some dude who was dead by the time we got to him. LaCroix used him as a means to an end, we just got to see the aftermath of it (dude is dead, house is infested with crazies) instead of the setup or execution.

What I always thought was that Grout's paranoia got bad enough that he hid himself away in his house, LaCroix noticed his disappearance and arranged for his murder because he's a bastard and a primogen that wouldn't heel made him look weak as a leader and could weaken his hold on LA, he tapped Ming-Xiao to get Grout and frame Nines for it to further solidfy his position by removing a rival to power in the area. I'm not sure where the big mystery thing comes from other than wishful thinking, there's not a lot there to support the idea that Grout got away to go do something else. After finding out that Ming-Xiao can shapeshift that pretty neatly tied any leftover questions up for me - it explains who killed Grout before you or Bach got there, it explains "Nines" weird behavior when you ran into him, and that was that.

Grout was just another pawn in the game, not some kind of all-knowing dude with Batman levels of prep in case poo poo went sour.

Iretep posted:

Who is the guy that sends chess tips throughout the game?

I always assumed it was the Cabbie/Cain being a mysterious dude and nudging the player a bit here and there. The conversation near the end about who you're gonna side with reminds me a little of those emails, the guy has a particular way of speaking that makes it feel like he could start making chess metaphors at any point. Nobody else really comes close to that kind of thing except maybe Strauss with his silly note telling you where to find him but even then he doesn't really seem to have a macro view of what's going on and is instead pretty focused about issues close to him when you talk to him (plague, gargoyle). Mister Cabbie, though, already knows the score when you scramble into the cab at the end to make your decision for the endgame.

But I've never really thought about it farther than that so it's not even a pet theory as much as it is an assumption. Maybe somebody else has a better idea.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Yeah, I'm also with Traxus and Pickled regarding Grout. Dude's dead guys. Only the jokes remain :pseudo:

About chess mail, I always thought that it was Strauss, but it being Cain sounds much better.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Disco Infiva posted:

About chess mail, I always thought that it was Strauss, but it being Cain sounds much better.
I am not certain that Strauss knows how to send an email.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ephemeron posted:

He probably employs some 15 year old zit faced kid to deal with those COM-PU-TERS. :corsair:

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
What about Messerach? We don't see him move or speak, but he has spoken to Jack and he has a vested interest in the player.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Do Kindred shrink up like that? General theory is that he was Lamastu's ghoul, her being the blood-drinker Lilith in the sarcophagus.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Disco Infiva posted:

He probably employs some 15 year old zit faced kid to deal with those COM-PU-TERS. :corsair:
Oddly enough, this is the case for a lot of older vamps. Etrius--one of the most powerful and learned Tremere and vampire mages on the planet--needs to have neonates or ghouls handle his mundane communications because he can't fathom the electrical spirits in phones or computers. That being said, Strauss strikes me as old-fashioned, but not so old that he can't adapt to modern living. Look at the man's coat--he knows what's going on.

motoh posted:

What about Messerach? We don't see him move or speak, but he has spoken to Jack and he has a vested interest in the player.

Kindred in torpor can get pretty gamey. They're corpses, after all, so they are remarkably preserved but after centuries with no vitae they can shrivel up. They generally don't get past the point where they can't move (so messerach's condition would fit that mold). Once they wake up in that state though, they're understandably ravenous and frenzy-prone until they've guzzled a few dozen gallons of blood.

That being said, I think Jack was talking to the cabbie behind him and not Messerach in that final scene when he said the "just like you said it would" bit. Messerach is just a body that Jack likes playing dolls with that he found in the sarc. If it was Lillith in the sarcophagus, Jack would be dead. She kinda has a hate boner for Caine and the rest of his get.

Concur with the rest. Grout's dead. Out of all the fan theories, Grout-as-"Friend" was at least remotely plausible, but the fact that he's otherwise completely absent from the game (hints or otherwise) more or less points the finger at someone else...the friendly cabbie being the best bet there.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 21, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, the big problem with the theory I've got going is that it's born from the conclusion - "well, I think Grout is the 'friend', so obviously that has to mean he survived" - and built from there. That, and I don't want to believe that loving everything is traced back to Caine. That, and I really don't find him to be the type to be writing cryptic e-mails. Same with Jack - is he really the type to be busting out chess metaphors of all things? Strauss is viable, but seems fairly content just being the Tremere Primogen - you practically have to convince him to revolt against LaCroix, so he wouldn't be the one stringing you along since the beginning.

Given the motif of the e-mails and the prophetic nature, I found Grout to be the best fit for who would be writing them, and that requires him surviving, so that's where the wild theorycrafting starts.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jack's smart enough to create a fake antedeluvian and set the city at its own throat, he could write some chess-themed emails.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

wiegieman posted:

Jack's smart enough to create a fake antedeluvian and set the city at its own throat, he could write some chess-themed emails.

Just how smart is Jack, though? He's an elder, so he's smart, but on the other hand, he's riding around with Caine, so pretty much anybody could conjure up a scheme like this when you've got that much help. Seems like he implied the whole scheme with the sarcophagus was Caine's idea in the ending scene.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheMcD posted:

Just how smart is Jack, though? He's an elder, so he's smart, but on the other hand, he's riding around with Caine, so pretty much anybody could conjure up a scheme like this when you've got that much help. Seems like he implied the whole scheme with the sarcophagus was Caine's idea in the ending scene.

I think it's mostly down to Caine, on the basis that he seems to enjoy loving with modern vampires for his own amusement. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Caine had a hand in the PC's Embrace simply as another step in making life entertainingly interesting for the LA vampires.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

wiegieman posted:

The problem isn't Jack's intelligence, it's his style. Even if he spent a couple decades mastering chess, he doesn't strike me as the sort of fellow who would send a neonate a bunch of uselessly cryptic messages. He'd at least have the courtesy to be uselessly cryptic to your face.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Ephemeron posted:

If I recall correctly, one of the computers in the game strongly hints that he plays the WoD's equivalent to World of Warcraft.

Fittingly enough he plays an undead warlock.

I bet he knows how send an email.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

mauman posted:

If I recall correctly, one of the computers in the game strongly hints that he plays the WoD's equivalent to World of Warcraft.

Fittingly enough he plays an undead warlock.

I bet he knows how send an email.

really? that's hilarious.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Incidentally, Caine's childer were Zillah, Irad and Enosh (not Enoch) :p

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mauman posted:

I wouldn't have thought the WoD would have such a thing. The computer technology seems too backward for that. All text-based interfaces in 2004?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Vicissitude posted:

Incidentally, Caine's childer were Zillah, Irad and Enosh (not Enoch) :p

Enoch, Enosh, Enosch, Ynosh, take your pick. They're all Biblical figures, so their spelling is dependent on how your source translated it from Hebrew. Though the Bible tends to disagree with the oWoD about what exact shenanigans these folk got up to.

• Locked thread