Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unless you're willing to bend and play Portable (I don't really feel like the presentation issues are that much of a problem, especially in exchange for how much better the female route is, and The Answer is terrible so really you're better off not playing it anyway) you'd kind of need to play FES first because 4 changes so much that going backwards is a nightmare. I played FES after 4 and it was hard, but going from Golden to FES sounds almost impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
If you play P3 at all, play P3 Portable. You can directly control party members in that version and that is a big plus for me. Just Youtube The Answer like everyone else is saying.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Giving Strange Journey another try. I put about six hours into it back around when it came out and just kinda forgot about it. Any tips before starting a new game?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Unmature posted:

Giving Strange Journey another try. I put about six hours into it back around when it came out and just kinda forgot about it. Any tips before starting a new game?

Stop playing Strange Journey and play another, better game.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Unmature posted:

Keep playing Strange Journey it's a really good game. If you get stuck in a dungeon don't be afraid to check a guide. The game can get pretty dickish about that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Stop playing Strange Journey and play another, better game.

That is very difficult, because Strange Journey is an awesome game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i don't understand how anyone who likes megaten games can dislike strange journey

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

i don't understand how anyone who likes megaten games can dislike strange journey

A lot of people got into Megaten games with Nocturne or later which are a lot less pure dungeon crawler. SJ is a lot more pure dungeon crawler than a lot of the games released these days.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Strange Journey is about a hundred thousand hours long and that's a bit much especially considering the plot doesn't so much move as sit there and wait for you to move past it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

hubris.height posted:

It's kinda tedious and has poorly designed dungeons?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

hubris.height posted:

For me Strange Journey has the same kind of problem as Persona Q where like, it's not a poorly made game, it just ceases being fun long before the game actually ends. Except in Strange Journey's case you still have a bunch of bullshit dungeon areas to go at that point. Also the demon co-op system is bad and the story's a really poor implementation of Law vs. Chaos even by series standards and gently caress some of the bosses, Captain Jack is utter bullshit to name just one. I disliked Strange Journey enough that it kinda surprised me that I enjoyed Etrian Odyssey at all.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Dunbar posted:

I'm getting ready to start my first MegaTen game and it's going to be Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 Golden.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's better to start with the more-accessible game (P4) and take the opportunity to learn about the series, systems, etc. and then move on to Persona 3 to use what you've learned in the game that might be a little harder to pick up, or will the gameplay enhancements and improvements in Persona 4 make it too tough to go back to 3 once you've played the newer (arguably better) version?

Hope that even makes sense, but I don't have a ton of time to play JRPGs so I want to make sure my massive time investment is worth it.

Personally, I played Persona 4 Golden then played Persona 3 Portable afterwards. I found it okay going from one to the other. The loss of some conveniences was a little irksome (mainly no longer being able to choose fusion skills), but not really anything more than that. I'd definitely say P4G was the better game, but P3P was very enjoyable too. My recommendation would be to play P4G first if you're not sure you're going to like or play them both, seeing as if you don't enjoy P4G, I'd reckon it's really unlikely you'd like P3P. If you're pretty sure you're going to play them both though, go ahead and play P3P first, and then you'll appreciate the changes in P4G a bit more.

I haven't played vanilla P3 or FES, so I couldn't tell you about them, I'm afraid, but hopefully this helps nonetheless.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Unmature posted:

Always get a demon's source, Charge is completely useless, the main roadblock bosses are in sector E and H, pretty much every boss has a weakness you should abuse, and having Energy Drain is vital.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also don't save Demon Sources unless they have a skill which scales really really well. (Usually a buff/debuff.) You'll have ten billion useless pieces of poo poo with Agi in your inventory if you try to save it for when you REALLY need it.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

alcharagia posted:

For me Strange Journey has the same kind of problem as Persona Q where like, it's not a poorly made game, it just ceases being fun long before the game actually ends. Except in Strange Journey's case you still have a bunch of bullshit dungeon areas to go at that point. Also the demon co-op system is bad and the story's a really poor implementation of Law vs. Chaos even by series standards and gently caress some of the bosses, Captain Jack is utter bullshit to name just one. I disliked Strange Journey enough that it kinda surprised me that I enjoyed Etrian Odyssey at all.

SJ was a great way till about 2/3 of the way in dungeons got really terrible. Yeah, I could have looked it up in the faq step by step, but the dungeons were still BS even with that. Meh...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Harrow posted:

SMTIV feels custom designed to gently caress over completionists which is pretty much my main complaint against it. I really, really wanted to fight all the Fiends but after spawning one I realized I'd never have the patience to find even one more. Hiding your best and most fun optional bosses behind insane RNG is utterly baffling to me.

I loved the game otherwise, but the RNG needs to be toned down for SMTV.

It's almost like Cavia is back in spirit. :allears:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Play FES over any other version of P3. I feel the game loses something when it gives you control of your team, it isn't balanced for that. The lack of control was a really definitive aspect of the original version, and it changes how you approach the game and battles in general. I think it's an experience worth having and P3 is perfectly fun with it retained. It will also help emulate the rush of relief you felt in Persona 4 when you found you could directly control your team for the first time.

I also rather liked the Answer, even though it's quite hard. There's a very distinctive series of boss battles near the end that are really cool and force you to rely on proper preparation and strategy over brute force. In general I liked the boss battles in that game, and felt it was a fun little boss rush pseudo hard mode expansion pack that does some interesting things with the game's characters.

In truth, I hope they bring back Aigis for later Persona games. She's the one character whose development beyond P3 I'm really interested in, because there's several possible directions her character could go. The fighting games don't really delve too deeply into that, so I want a proper follow-up with Aigis to see how the events of the Answer ultimately played out for her.

EDIT: Strange Journey owns

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
holy poo poo batman those are some bad opinions

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

P3P is the best version

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Play FES over any other version of P3. I feel the game loses something when it gives you control of your team, it isn't balanced for that. The lack of control was a really definitive aspect of the original version, and it changes how you approach the game and battles in general. I think it's an experience worth having and P3 is perfectly fun with it retained. It will also help emulate the rush of relief you felt in Persona 4 when you found you could directly control your team for the first time.

It's a cool idea that was implemented horribly and personally I don't think the game loses anything by being able to control your party. Also the FeMC owns

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Also I think the AI is on by default in P3P if you're into that weird poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I also rather liked the Answer, even though it's quite hard. There's a very distinctive series of boss battles near the end that are really cool and force you to rely on proper preparation and strategy over brute force. In general I liked the boss battles in that game, and felt it was a fun little boss rush pseudo hard mode expansion pack that does some interesting things with the game's characters.

In truth, I hope they bring back Aigis for later Persona games. She's the one character whose development beyond P3 I'm really interested in, because there's several possible directions her character could go. The fighting games don't really delve too deeply into that, so I want a proper follow-up with Aigis to see how the events of the Answer ultimately played out for her.

EDIT: Strange Journey owns

It's like I've stepped into an alternate dimension where down is up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The AI is dumber than a box of rocks in P3/FES. Hm, yes, let's spam status attacks nonstop. That's the ticket. Doing damage? That's for scrubs!

If it was a little better than it is? The lack of control would be easier to deal with. I've beaten P3 FES multiple times, but after having played P3P? I wouldn't go back to it, unless I had to.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Saagonsa posted:

It's a cool idea that was implemented horribly and personally I don't think the game loses anything by being able to control your party. Also the FeMC owns

Oh I had totally forgotten about FeMC. Yeah, then, the PSP version is cool, it gives you both versions of the story and full party control, so yeah, I reverse my ruling and submit to the bandwagon that yes, the P3P version is the best.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

P3P is the best version

My only complaint about P3P is the visual novel style. I was surprised at how much I missed the 3-D models for cutscenes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Not having control over your party members really doesn't add anything. Yukari firing off a Wind Break every time she loving gets a whiff of a wind resistance will always be bad and not having control kinda makes Mitsuru unusable because the AI can't make heads or tails of her diverse movepool.

Play the Answer if you want I guess, but it's kinda grindy and pretty different from the core game and if you don't like it, no shame.

Play FES if you have to, but there's really nothing that puts it above Portable. I played FES my first time and hell yeah I bought Portable because if I ever want to play Persona 3 again, I do not want to be tethered to a console that doesn't let me control my dudes. The 3D models are kinda cool, but all they do is do an animation and have an emote. I miss the 3D environments the most honestly

e: I wanna try Strange Journey because of all the poo poo I hear about it. I smashed my head against SMT I and II and went through Lucifer's Castle like four times so I feel could prooooobably handle it? Maybe whenever I actually loving beat Nocturne

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

smenj posted:

Personally, I played Persona 4 Golden then played Persona 3 Portable afterwards. I found it okay going from one to the other. The loss of some conveniences was a little irksome (mainly no longer being able to choose fusion skills), but not really anything more than that. I'd definitely say P4G was the better game, but P3P was very enjoyable too. My recommendation would be to play P4G first if you're not sure you're going to like or play them both, seeing as if you don't enjoy P4G, I'd reckon it's really unlikely you'd like P3P. If you're pretty sure you're going to play them both though, go ahead and play P3P first, and then you'll appreciate the changes in P4G a bit more.

I haven't played vanilla P3 or FES, so I couldn't tell you about them, I'm afraid, but hopefully this helps nonetheless.
This is exactly the kind of logic I was looking for but couldn't quite come up with in trying to decide. I'll get P4G started tomorrow. It's supposed to be -20 with wind chill, so the timing is good.

Now to look up some beginning tips since I've never played one of these games before :v:

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Play FES if you have to, but there's really nothing that puts it above Portable.

The presentaion, if nothing else.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I agree, I also hope there's more robots introduced as well. I really liked P4A for the new robot and the backstory of their development, which was hosed up and awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PypDgqOkZDo
I think Aegis should go emancipate any remaining robots or dig up their robot corpses and reanimate them or something.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Snowcow posted:

The presentaion, if nothing else.
You can't see the MC's dumb hands in pockets run on P3P so there's another reason for FES.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Persona 3 doesn't lose nearly as much as people like to claim from the change in presentation, the cutscenes are pretty static.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The Answer isn't very good. It's locked to hard mode and there's no compendium, so it's pretty much on Lose The Will To Live difficulty level. It is pure dungeon crawler (and a bad dungeon crawler at that) with a story dressing. It is Persona without the Persona.

If you are going to play P3FES, do not play The Answer. Just look up some videos or something. But do check out the added soundtrack songs, though, they're alright.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the answer sucks and the story is dumb

it was worth it for hearful cry though

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Color Printer posted:

The Answer isn't very good. It's locked to hard mode and there's no compendium, so it's pretty much on Lose The Will To Live difficulty level. It is pure dungeon crawler (and a bad dungeon crawler at that) with a story dressing. It is Persona without the Persona.

If you are going to play P3FES, do not play The Answer. Just look up some videos or something. But do check out the added soundtrack songs, though, they're alright.

Is this in the op already? Can we put this in the op already? Seriously just play portable people. Even Atlus is pretending The Answer doesn't exist.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

FauxGateau posted:

Even Atlus is pretending The Answer doesn't exist.

Except for Elizabeth's entire motivation in P4A, of course

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saagonsa posted:

Except for Elizabeth's entire motivation in P4A, of course

I don't know what you're talking about Elizabeth is blowing up random mobs in order to satisfy her kill-lust that may or may not be shaped like a door.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 15, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

MrAristocrates posted:

Persona 3 doesn't lose nearly as much as people like to claim from the change in presentation, the cutscenes are pretty static.

I think 4 would've been pretty badly hindered by it, but not 3, because P3's actually got a lot of emotion and movement in the portraits. 4's portraits are all just facial differentiations, it pushes a lot of the actual motion on the character models.

And honestly, I'm on the side of actually liking the AI controlling my party in Persona. It makes them feel more like actual characters in battle, which is huge for a character-driven game like Persona. Granted, it is let down by the AI being dog-rock stupid, and you kinda have to babysit them anyway, but I did fairly well with my team of Junpei-Aigis-Ken. They didn't have much for the AI to screw up.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Dunbar posted:

This is exactly the kind of logic I was looking for but couldn't quite come up with in trying to decide. I'll get P4G started tomorrow. It's supposed to be -20 with wind chill, so the timing is good.

Now to look up some beginning tips since I've never played one of these games before :v:

nanako is the killer :whatever the gay devil emoticon is:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If it makes them feel like actual characters those actual characters are completely retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
You know, on one hand, I can see why they made Persona 3 have AI-controlled teammates. It was a narrative device used to reinforce that you were the Main Character. Not just playing as him.

On the other hand, Marin Karin.