Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Pretty much everything goes to poo poo for all the real powerful people if he loses and Cersei is taken out of the picture, so they're all shutting up for now. Pretty sure one or more of the Lannisters have said as much out loud for themselves. The kingsgaurd as an institution has already kind of taken a dive under the latest line of kings anyway.

There's also relatively little time between him showing up and the end of what's written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I'm also looking forward to the resolution of the current K's L situation, about the only cliffhanger among the dozen or so from ADWD I actually give a moderate gently caress about at this point.

First quarter 2016 can't get here soon enough!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Boy are you guys going to feel silly when it turns out that Robert Strong is actually Geoffrey.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I now want Robert Strong to be a zombie frankestein of literally every dead character whose fate is slightly ambiguous. Robb's head, Syrio Forel's arm, Benjen's legs, the series completion status, the Hound's ears, somehow Rhaegar's eyes, and Jon's soul(through tree based time travel somehow).

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

kaworu posted:

The interesting question is what'll happen now that Kevan's been murdered, and who is going to fill the power vacuum and seize control of King's Landing? That's honestly one of the most interesting cliffhangers..

Jesus I forgot about those stupid sparrows and that whole plot arc. His books are like a D&D campaign - each new book brings a loving expansion packs worth of new characters, classes, races and monsters to fight.

Book peeps: Is there the suggestion of incest between Margary and Lancel? I seem to recall something about them being too close, or spending too much time together, or something - as if there was a secret they were hiding.

edit: Robb's head being on Robert Strong actually makes a lot of sense, and I'm casting my vote that it is true. I always figured it would be Ned, but Robb works even better. Could it be King Robert? What ever happens with his stinking corpse? there would be some irony there too with him defending cercei, and you know she would get a more perverse pleasure out of that.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 12, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hopeford posted:

I now want Robert Strong to be a zombie frankestein of literally every dead character whose fate is slightly ambiguous. Robb's head, Syrio Forel's arm, Benjen's legs, the series completion status, the Hound's ears, somehow Rhaegar's eyes, and Jon's soul(through tree based time travel somehow).

Ned's dick. Don't forget they lost his body!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Ned's dick. Don't forget they lost his body!

I thought they sent his bones back home?

edit: King Roberts dick for shizzle... and a beard made from Cersei's shaved pubic hair.

Zinc Teeth posted:

I don't understand how all the bigwigs at King's Landing are cool that a member of the Kingsguard is a literal undead monster. They sent Gregor's head to Dorne, right? There's no way he's surprise! alive or anything. Nope, just a zombie monster protecting the king, that's cool with everyone?

My impression was they didn't really know what was up - whether through willful ignorance or not.. I don't think they were like "Oh hey, undead guy made from Gregor's corpse? No worries mate!"

3Romeo posted:

Marge sends Cersei and Qyburn to the wall after Robert Strong turns out to be an abomination. Val the Wilding? Her last name is Onqar.

SaviourX posted:

Oh, and the stair that kills Cersei? Its nickname is valonqar.

In Bakker's prince of nothing series - he has the same lovely habit GRRM does of finding a new phrase and running it into the ground. In his last one it was "Little Brother" in reference to a person's own penis. And I got confused a little while back and thought it was GRRM who used that phrase, and I came up with the wonderful theory that she would have "Death by Cock" or something.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 12, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

kcroy posted:

Jesus I forgot about those stupid sparrows and that whole plot arc. His books are like a D&D campaign - each new book brings a loving expansion packs worth of new characters, classes, races and monsters to fight.

Book peeps: Is there the suggestion of incest between Margary and Lancel? I seem to recall something about them being too close, or spending too much time together, or something - as if there was a secret they were hiding.

Do you mean Loras? Lancel is a Lannister.

Loras is gay so I don't think so, unless I'm misremembering.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There was a lot of hinting about Loras and Margarey spending too much time together earlier on, but that was just Margary helping cover for her brother's incredible fabulosity.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ross posted:

Do you mean Loras? Lancel is a Lannister.

Loras is gay so I don't think so, unless I'm misremembering.

Yes Definitely meant Loras, thanks. In the books, his gay-ness is implied.. we don't have the obvious scenes we get in the TV series. So while he might have had a sexual relationship with Renly, I don't think we can say exactly what is up with his sexual identity. When I was reading uh.. maybe the part about the Blue Harper guy they torture? I thought there was some insinuation she spent too much time alone with Loras or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Loras is gay as all hell. The book isn't exactly subtle about that.

The only reason we didn't get a sex scene is GRRM can't get himself off to that.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Loras is gay as all hell. The book isn't exactly subtle about that.

The only reason we didn't get a sex scene is GRRM can't get himself off to that.
I didn't realize Loras was gay after reading the first 3 books. Of course I also didn't realize R+L=J...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Had to check your username to make sure you weren't GreenBuckaneer.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 12, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

kcroy posted:

I didn't realize Loras was gay after reading the first 3 books. Of course I also didn't realize R+L=J...

I also missed it on my first read-through so you're not alone there. Then I watched the show and was like "...eh?" and read the books again and yeah it is pretty heavily implied, at least if you're looking for it.

Ross fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 12, 2015

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

kcroy posted:

Yes Definitely meant Loras, thanks. In the books, his gay-ness is implied.. we don't have the obvious scenes we get in the TV series. So while he might have had a sexual relationship with Renly, I don't think we can say exactly what is up with his sexual identity. When I was reading uh.. maybe the part about the Blue Harper guy they torture? I thought there was some insinuation she spent too much time alone with Loras or something.

The real implication is that Cersei is projecting her own incestuous leanings onto Margaery, and also that she's clueless about Loras being gay and just kind of an idiot in general, possibly becaue Taena Whatsherswamp is doing to her what Cersei did to King Bob, basically taking advantage of a pre-existing alcohol problem.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Ross posted:

I'm also looking forward to the resolution of the current K's L situation, about the only cliffhanger among the dozen or so from ADWD I actually give a moderate gently caress about at this point.

First quarter 2016 can't get here soon enough!

Heh.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...se-9572923.html

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nate Silver employs people to sit around and speculate on when Bantam hits the panic button again and "publishes" whatever there is of TWoW that they manage to get their hands on.

Wow.

Still, if they're right with the 2017 pub date, it'll make for a hell of a tie-in promo with the show: "Celebrate the series finale of the most popular show in the history of television... by reading a prose recap of a bunch of stuff that happened two years ago!"

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
A this point tbqh I'm not expecting there to be another book.

Maybe it's best to keep expectations low and thus be perhaps pleasantly surprised.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
At this point the best thing to happen wpuld be for him to no longer be able to write the books, and his executor up and decides :gently caress it I want money, I'm going to have someone finish it."

Then they pass it to Patrick Rothfuss and we get a 900 page novel about Sam going to school in Oldtown. :suicide:

kcroy posted:

Pretty sure their closeness was more her covering for him being gay and not them screwing in private.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ross posted:

A this point tbqh I'm not expecting there to be another book.

Maybe it's best to keep expectations low and thus be perhaps pleasantly surprised.

Yeah there won't be another book. poo poo is over man.

I'm not even joking this series is never going to be finished and I doubt they publish another complete book.

They might publish a bunch of half done poo poo, but not a book.

Edit: wait the gently caress on... Why did I never see this?

http://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-books-6-7-writers-release-date/

The fat gently caress actually brought in other people to write the books for him.

THERE IS HOPE YET!!

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 13, 2015

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Are you not seeing the giant [APRIL FOOLS] in the title there?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

various cheeses posted:

Are you not seeing the giant [APRIL FOOLS] in the title there?

Why don't you let me gently caress with people?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

nine-gear crow posted:

Nate Silver employs people to sit around and speculate on when Bantam hits the panic button again and "publishes" whatever there is of TWoW that they manage to get their hands on.

Wow.

Still, if they're right with the 2017 pub date, it'll make for a hell of a tie-in promo with the show: "Celebrate the series finale of the most popular show in the history of television... by reading a prose recap of a bunch of stuff that happened two years ago!"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
average conventions per week, average calories per day, average fucks given per career-making epic fantasy series, average pubehairs per neckbeard

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

nine-gear crow posted:

That's gonna be a tough sell.

Think about it. The TV series watchers aren't going to read the books. Most of the fans of the original books will be too pissed at the author to buy the book(s). They've waited since 2000 for a conclusion to the story which will be delivered by the TV adoption instead.

I mean who is going to buy these books?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Unless the show's writers/producers come out and say something to the effect of "we're out of published material so we're moving in our own direction now separate from the books or any info George has given us on his plans", I don't see how the show passing the books on the series timeline isn't an extinction-level disaster for book sales.

Maybe these are popular enough that people will buy them in droves regardless? Not really sure. I probably would to be honest.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That's exactly what I've been hoping for for years TBH. It allows the show to wrap up in a couple of seasons in a manner that's appropriate for its TV budget and won't spoil the books that are never going to be released.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what sales of the next book are like though*. Millions read GoT after watching season 1, but of course that was because they wanted to see the continuation of the story.

*The answer is zero sales.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Should they change the credit where it says "based on the novels by GRRM" soon and just put "gently caress you, this is HBO's poo poo now"?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Martin should have just been honest with himself and became one of the writers for the show or a full time consultant or something. It would have pissed everybody off especially the people who publish the books but purely from the motivation of trying to tell the best story in the best way he should have (and might have, honestly) put all his eggs in the shows basket.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hunky Joe posted:

Should they change the credit where it says "based on the novels by GRRM" soon and just put "gently caress you, this is HBO's poo poo now"?

"Originally/Loosely based on the incomplete series A Song of Ice and Fire."

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
A book based on a television event based on a book.

Sound as delicious as lemoncakes!

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I wonder who they'll tap to write the novelizations of the later seasons when it's competely divergent.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I always love people who act all outraged when I vent my GRRM anger, telling me things like, "He doesn't owe you anything!" or, "He is writing at a normal pace for an author!" Because every once in awhile I convince them to read the books, and when they reach the end and there are no more books they suddenly understand.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's hilarious that GRRM had all this time to write the next book and he completely hosed it all up. He KNEW back in 2011 that the show would catch up to the books by 2016 and be done by 2017/18. So he had 6/7 years to write two books. Not a terribly unreasonable task. He knew exactly what he needed to do and said 'No'.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if we'll get any blogs from the GRRM about how this season did things wrong.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's hilarious that GRRM had all this time to write the next book and he completely hosed it all up. He KNEW back in 2011 that the show would catch up to the books by 2016 and be done by 2017/18. So he had 6/7 years to write two books. Not a terribly unreasonable task. He knew exactly what he needed to do and said 'No'.

I think he knew it would happen, he's not delusional.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think he knew it would happen, he's not delusional.

He said in at least a dozen interviews that he had plenty of time and was confident he would finish before the show caught up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rosscifer posted:

He said in at least a dozen interviews that he had plenty of time and was confident he would finish before the show caught up.

I have a feeling his true impression of his chances were less optimistic than his messaging, but fair enough, maybe I'm overfitting.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The GRRM isn't delusional, just lazy. It is known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Blind Sally posted:

The GRRM isn't delusional, just lazy. It is known.

He's delusional in that he sincerely believes that anyone is going to care about his lovely book series once the TV series is finished.