Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I can not fathom how in the world the same Scott Snyder who writes Batman that I enjoy is writing this crap.

He's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Ugenesis posted:

It's going to be Talia Al Ghul at the end. They haven't brought her back into play yet and didn't the first issue open with a shirtless Batman chained up somewhere?
She's actually been revived at the end of Robin Rises Alpha and has no memories of anything, even her own name. So yeah doubting it's her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Well, okay, he's not writing every individual issue, but he's credited for "Story", which I presume means he, at some point, drafted up this labyrinthine wheels-within-wheels plot and said "Yeah this is definitely good".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Gordon goes to jail. There's a new commissioner who's really bad. Batman faces a series of baddies. Alfred has a daughter. Harper becomes Bluebird. Spoiler something something. There's the story. Go write it. Snyder out." - Scott Snyder.

e: I think in some interview I watched when it started he really downplayed his authorship. I'd surprised if Tynion 4 wasn't more of the main showrunner.
Not that I'm trying to cast blame. I think the progression generally works in it's TV show format. There have been more issues of Eternal now than Batman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 12, 2015

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003

lotus circle posted:

She's actually been revived at the end of Robin Rises Alpha and has no memories of anything, even her own name. So yeah doubting it's her.

I must have missed that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Ugenesis posted:

It's going to be Talia Al Ghul at the end. They haven't brought her back into play yet and didn't the first issue open with a shirtless Batman chained up somewhere?

Are you assuming that's a sex thing?

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003

HitTheTargets posted:

Are you assuming that's a sex thing?

I was but if it's not Talia I don't know anymore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ugenesis posted:

I was but if it's not Talia I don't know anymore.

Didn't you read Odyssey? It's obviously Alfred or Superman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I found this exposition on Mexico's City downtown

Batman: Through Mexican Creativity

In it, multiple mexican artists were provided with Batman's cowl and they decorated at their leasure. There are some pretty neat designs:

I uploaded pictures of every cowl here:

http://imgur.com/a/qnN9s

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I found this exposition on Mexico's City downtown

Batman: Through Mexican Creativity

In it, multiple mexican artists were provided with Batman's cowl and they decorated at their leasure. There are some pretty neat designs:

http://imgur.com/a/qnN9s
These range from silly to absolute great.

Not this though what the gently caress is it even

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flameingblack posted:

lovely pic aside, it was a cowl made with forged iron (not that different to a fence) with a light bulb inside. Thus the "light through darkness" title.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Flameingblack posted:

Thats one of the cooler ones actually despite the "Team Neko"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It looks like he's going to explode into Kirby dots. Like something from Final Crisis or Robin Rises.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Cover for Batman Eternal 50 by Cliff Chiang

Pretty cool but. Why the hell you gave a loving mouth to Jason's helmet, Rocafort? :argh:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's so you can kiss him through the mask.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Because how would you know if he were scowling without an expressive hood?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Batman and Robin this week was amazingly good. More dialogue heavy than last month's and had a perfect scene of Bruce and Damian having a heart-to-heart moment...while fishing because Alfred forced Bruce into it.

I'm going to be heart-broken if Gleason's writing for Robin Son of Batman won't be as good as this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

lotus circle posted:

Batman and Robin this week was amazingly good. More dialogue heavy than last month's and had a perfect scene of Bruce and Damian having a heart-to-heart moment...while fishing because Alfred forced Bruce into it.

I'm going to be heart-broken if Gleason's writing for Robin Son of Batman won't be as good as this.

I never knew how much I wanted a book of Damian and Captain Marvel just being kids, and Damian being an rear end in a top hat.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

Because how would you know if he were scowling without an expressive hood?

Yeah, that was Rocafort's explanation back when RHATO launched. A stupid logic since it defeats the point of the helmet in the first place.

Hopefully Medry will use the featureless helmet on RH/Arsenal.

lotus circle posted:

Yeah, it was pretty fun. I'm really looking forward for more interactions between Damian and Shazam. Bruce being more of a father was also a most welcome change, but still, I rather have Damian's superpowers not being permament.

Eternal wasn't that bad this time but is kind of tiring to see Batman just beating people for answers and mostly being led on by his enemies.

I don't know what to think about Batgirl's cliffhanger.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Prediction: A.I. Barbra is going to stick around in some form for a while afterward and be called Oracle. Maybe Barbra's dark secret about how her legs are working again is that she's actually a clone or something. And the computer Barbra is the original.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The idea of "Oracle" being incorporated as an A.I. is pretty neat. It also lets DC have it's cake and eat it too -- they keep Barbara as Batgirl and fans of Oracle have her in a different restyled capacity. It isn't the same obviously, but DC sort of wrote themselves into a corner and can't really make Barbara into Oracle proper without doing more bad than good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

lotus circle posted:

The idea of "Oracle" being incorporated as an A.I. is pretty neat. It also lets DC have it's cake and eat it too -- they keep Barbara as Batgirl and fans of Oracle have her in a different restyled capacity. It isn't the same obviously, but DC sort of wrote themselves into a corner and can't really make Barbara into Oracle proper without doing more bad than good.

I suppose if you tilt your head, they could have the neural map be from when she was still paralysed, so the AI's self-image is Babs in the wheelchair? I mean, that's the real issue with getting rid of Oracle, the loss of disabled representation. If the issue was just 'hey, we want our hacker chick', they've already resolved that by bringing the TV version of Felicity Smoak into mainline continuity.

(It's sorta depressing going back to the reboot press blitz and the damage control Simone had to do for that decision, when it was in no way her call. And the "Oh, we'll have plenty of diversity!", which amounted to that one character from Paul Cornell's medieval book.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 19, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I never knew how much I wanted a book of Damian and Captain Marvel just being kids, and Damian being an rear end in a top hat.

Next: Superfriends! Is a great loving way to get me interested in the next book.

Damian and Captain Marvel need to have a super powered ping pong contest.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Gaz-L posted:

I suppose if you tilt your head, they could have the neural map be from when she was still paralysed, so the AI's self-image is Babs in the wheelchair? I mean, that's the real issue with getting rid of Oracle, the loss of disabled representation. If the issue was just 'hey, we want our hacker chick', they've already resolved that by bringing the TV version of Felicity Smoak into mainline continuity.

(It's sorta depressing going back to the reboot press blitz and the damage control Simone had to do for that decision, when it was in no way her call. And the "Oh, we'll have plenty of diversity!", which amounted to that one character from Paul Cornell's medieval book.)

Don't forget that it was dropping Oracle in all the Batman books and attempting to fill the void with Horsewoman in Paul Cornell's one medieval book that only BSS read.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Now I'm depressed that Demon Knights isn't set to make a comeback anytime soon :smith:

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

lotus circle posted:

Now I'm depressed that Demon Knights isn't set to make a comeback anytime soon :smith:

It was too good for this world.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you don't wanna pay $5 for the Batgirl story in Secret Origins,

Barbara gets a brain scan map thing before her super walk-again operation and meets her room mate from the new run for the first time in the hospital (she has muscular dystrophy.) Later she's using the brain map for her thesis thing, which is some sort of analytical crime prevention program (so yep, A.I. Oracle.) It turns on with sentience, sees Barbara's post-operation life on the internet and goes "Who's this living as me? I'm getting my life back!"
There's flashback up till the Killing Joke scene (the brain scan's memories (notice the computery text boxes!) so we still don't get to see the magic miracle operation) but it's mostly the Batgirl issue #0 stuff again.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 25, 2015

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Batman 39 was pretty great. I'm digging the callbacks to the start of their first issue.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh my God, Gotham Academy continues to be amazing.

Croc winds up hanging out with the kids & tells his 'I THREW A ROCK AT HIM!' story.

And Warren McGinnis (father of Terry) shows up as a student.

The mysterious student turns out to be a were-man-bat, who Olive shoots with a crossbow (provided by Maps)

It continues to be the greatest thing. :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Maps in her adorable little suit! I want to see her take on the Riddler now.

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you don't wanna pay $5 for the Batgirl story in Secret Origins...

*stuff*

So Oracle, by way of the digital Batgirl idea Morrison had. An ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place. Bravo, DC, another instance where creators fix editorial's messes, rather than editors cleaning up sloppy writing.

EDIT: How was the Poison Ivy story, actually? I really like Sejic's art, so I could maybe be persuaded to drop £3 for an Oracle origin and a cool Ivy comic.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 25, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Yvonmukluk posted:

And Warren McGinnis (father of Terry) shows up as a student.
Holy poo poo I completely missed that the first around. That's so neat.

This whole comic has a BTAS/DCAU feel to it though. They're using Croc's design from the show, having Simon Trent of Gray Ghost fame as a teacher and even this. It's really awesome to see.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It also has Aunt Harriet and Bookworm from the 60's TV show in it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well Batman continues to ramp up the insanity. As much as I dislike the omnipotent take on the Joker, I am really digging this story. Saying that though, hopefully this will be the last use of the Joker for a while.

Also poor Alfred

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was all excited to see the Court of Owls again and then as soon as it started it was over :(

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I like how it's completely glossed over how Joker singlehandedly removed that loving huge t-rex, giant penny, and hanging card from the Batcave. I mean, that is Loeb levels of dumb. I love Snyder, but c'mon.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Madkal posted:

Saying that though, hopefully this will be the last use of the Joker for a while.
Snyder said in interviews this would be his final Joker story, so I'm guessing he won't be making any appearances for as long as Snyder in on Batman.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

redbackground posted:

I like how it's completely glossed over how Joker singlehandedly removed that loving huge t-rex, giant penny, and hanging card from the Batcave. I mean, that is Loeb levels of dumb. I love Snyder, but c'mon.

If Joker is literally the devil as they've been hinting at, or at least an immortal monster from beyond reality or whatever, I don't mind this at all. I haven't read the issue yet, but that doesn't seem to be much crazier than anything else that has happened. I still like all of this leagues better than the dumb rear end "LOOK AT HOW GRITTY WE ARE NOW, JOKER AIN'T GOT NO FACE!" bullshit.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Still really digging Gotham Academy, although that Tristan revelation was weird.

The school's supposed to cure him?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Was Taters posted:

Still really digging Gotham Academy, although that Tristan revelation was weird.

The school's supposed to cure him?

I read it more as "I got put somewhere where no one is going to find having bat shaped figures flying around at night weird."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Wasn't the main appeal of Oracle that it was an established character proving that a disability didn't preclude them from being useful or effecting great change? Turning Oracle into an AI so you can keep walking Bab's seems to miss the point of the character.

• Locked thread