Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, barons currently don't have a council, but they do have courtiers.

Pretty sure they don't, AFAIK they're considered part of their liege's court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I just bought this and have never played a Paradox game before. What's a good kingdom to start as that's not too difficult and not too complicated to play as?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hadaka Apron posted:

I just bought this and have never played a Paradox game before. What's a good kingdom to start as that's not too difficult and not too complicated to play as?

Munster, Ireland 1066 will teach you how to play from the ground up.

Glasgerion
Jul 25, 2007
Strike on strike on

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yup, he's using it in this SA LP.

Oh I had no idea. All this time I thought that was some sneak preview.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Volkerball posted:

So long as they fix archers being the one true army base, I'm cool with that.

Except, of course, they really WERE in that time period. That and cavalry.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Hadaka Apron posted:

Bjorn Ironside or Haraldr Yngling if you have the Old Gods start. Two pretty powerful characters, easy to form kingdoms and just a tonne of fun poo poo to do. Most folks say Ireland, but Catholics are boring as gently caress.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DStecks posted:

Pretty sure they don't, AFAIK they're considered part of their liege's court.

I believe a baron's immediate family is considered part of his "court" (if you hover their portraits they say they're at court wherever the baron is) but they never have courtiers otherwise.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodly posted:

Except, of course, they really WERE in that time period. That and cavalry.

Even cavalry is a joke compared to archers commanded by a welshman. Go through all the effort to make bad rear end war elephants and they suck dick.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I always periodically comb characters looking for Welshmen with 10+ Martial willing to accept an invite to my court. They're that awesome.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

ninjahedgehog posted:

A puppy? For me?! Thank you so much, I love him!

....where the hell did you find it?

Speaking off, why does my prison constantly have kids in it? When am I capturing kids?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

dj_clawson posted:

Speaking off, why does my prison constantly have kids in it? When am I capturing kids?

They might be born to pregnant prisoners and automatically imprisoned.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

AdjectiveNoun posted:

"Your child must serve the rest of your sentence in Medieval Alcatraz"

And so Gregor Clegane became The Mountain that Rides.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

I always periodically comb characters looking for Welshmen with 10+ Martial willing to accept an invite to my court. They're that awesome.

I breed them. For the holdings in your county that you won't personally hold that you will keep personally vassalized, throw a welshman on it. Once you find one that has a high enough martial, marry him off, then give him the barony or whatever. He'll educate his own kids most of the time. If you can get him into your dynasty, it's even better. Then you just have your best welshman train welshmen.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I don't even capture women! I don't know how they end up in there.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

dj_clawson posted:

I don't even capture women! I don't know how they end up in there.
How? Do you never besiege anywhere? Odds are you picked up a few somewhere. Check your cells.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
You imprison children when you win a siege, you've probably just turned off the notification

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
How viable is it in ironman to start off as a Northern European feudal catholic, go to was with some pagan neighbours to try and capture a woman, marry her, convert to paganism and wreak havoc on the world as an early feudal Norseman?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't think Catholics can marry women they're holding as prisoners, or do anything else with them besides what you can usually do with prisoners.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm about to reform my tribe! If I choose republic, will the other tribal vassals give me the wrong government type bonus or will they turn into cities?

I didn't get my achievement for reforming Romuva, is that a known issue?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 15, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gough Suppressant posted:

How viable is it in ironman to start off as a Northern European feudal catholic, go to was with some pagan neighbours to try and capture a woman, marry her, convert to paganism and wreak havoc on the world as an early feudal Norseman?

I've still never seen a decision to convert to your spouses religion. I don't know what you're supposed to do to trigger that or whatever. But anyways, it wouldn't be hard at all if you have a Germanic educate your heir. Not sure how it would work with Germanic being unreformed, but it wouldn't take but a couple hours to try it out and see what happens. Your safest bet would probably be Brittany or somewhere shattered in England at the CM start. Offer to join France's wars against Saxony and go siege some poo poo til you find a dude.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You have to have Rajas to have the decisions to change culture/religion, I think?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think Catholics can marry women they're holding as prisoners, or do anything else with them besides what you can usually do with prisoners.
- Since you are my guest and I am your host, what's your pleasure? What do you like to do?
- Oh, I don't know. Play chess... screw...
- Let's play chess. :catholic:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Porkface posted:

I'm about to reform my tribe! If I choose republic, will the other tribal vassals give me the wrong government type bonus or will they turn into cities?

They won't turn into cities until they have town infrastructure at level 1 and a level 4 large market town. So yeah, they'll be wrong government type and they'll hate your guts because you have absolute tribal organization, unless you're pressing +100 relations from giving them titles and such. There's a building in the republic tab you can build. Think it's called a warehouse. Upgrade that poo poo quick, as it's the fastest way to raise your retinue cap and raise a force that can cover your rear end.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

You have to have Rajas to have the decisions to change culture/religion, I think?

I have Rajas. I've seen convert to lieges religion/culture, and convert to capitals religion/culture. I think that's it, aside from Indians being able to change religions whenever because gently caress it. And I've been married to pagans of different flavors before iirc. Maybe I'm just not marrying women from different backgrounds often enough to notice.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You can convert to a spouse or concubine's religion if you are unreformed pagan and they are from a reformed religion. E.g Erik the Heathen has a Catholic wife and you can convert to catholicism at game start. I'm fairly certain it doesn't work the other way around.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can convert to a spouse or concubine's religion if you are unreformed pagan and they are from a reformed religion. E.g Erik the Heathen has a Catholic wife and you can convert to catholicism at game start. I'm fairly certain it doesn't work the other way around.

What about the guardian for his heir idea? I don't see how that wouldn't work.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

What about the guardian for his heir idea? I don't see how that wouldn't work.

That has always worked, though I don't know if they penalty to pagan conversion affects the guardian conversions or if it is just for councillor proselytising.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That has always worked, though I don't know if they penalty to pagan conversion affects the guardian conversions or if it is just for councillor proselytising.

Even if it did, worst comes to worst, I can't imagine 10 years with a norseman as a guardian would let the kid leave a Catholic. He may have lovely stats, but all his kids would be Germanic. So long as the game would let him go from Catholic to unreformed pagan that route, I think he'd be fine.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Just the court chaplain or godi.

I think the easiest way to accomplish the goal would be to start somewhere in Saxony in 869, get conquered, then eventually push south with claim fabrications into feudal lands. Requires some inheritance fuckery to move your capitol, but doable within a generation.

edit: forgot one thing... you're gonna need a tonne of ransom money. Charlemagne will lock you up every few years, regardless if you're his marshall or have a one-hundred green opinion rating. It's difficult to do, but if you can hold out long enough to get a prepared invasion off it's pretty cool.

upgunned shitpost fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 15, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jfood posted:

Just the court chaplain or godi.

I think the easiest way to accomplish the goal would be to start somewhere in Saxony in 869, get conquered, then eventually push south with claim fabrications into feudal lands. Requires some inheritance fuckery to move your capitol, but doable within a generation.

My experience with attempting to keep a religion alive as a vassal of another religion in ironman has led me to believe that this is not a fun or advisable thing to do. Especially since all of France would be Catholic. Except you. With the moral authority of unreformed germanic, :lol:, I don't see you maintaining the old ways for very long.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Volkerball posted:

My experience with attempting to keep a religion alive as a vassal of another religion in ironman has led me to believe that this is not a fun or advisable thing to do. Especially since all of France would be Catholic. Except you. With the moral authority of unreformed germanic, :lol:, I don't see you maintaining the old ways for very long.

Aside from the random bouts of prison, it's not that tough. You lack the cash to upgrade your holdings, since you're kicking it up el jefe as blood money, but if you stay out of factions and move your diplomat between claim fabrication and rear end-kissing totally doable. Most of the time, every now and then you're just gonna get straight up executed.

You only gotta hang on until 893, then you can really start setting your own terms.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Even if it did, worst comes to worst, I can't imagine 10 years with a norseman as a guardian would let the kid leave a Catholic. He may have lovely stats, but all his kids would be Germanic. So long as the game would let him go from Catholic to unreformed pagan that route, I think he'd be fine.

Why are you telling me this.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jfood posted:

Aside from the random bouts of prison, it's not that tough. You lack the cash to upgrade your holdings, since you're kicking it up el jefe as blood money, but if you stay out of factions and move your diplomat between claim fabrication and rear end-kissing totally doable. Most of the time, every now and then you're just gonna get straight up executed.

You only gotta hang on until 893, then you can really start setting your own terms.

When I was Shia under the Umayyad, it was terrible. I hauled rear end to form a republic out of Marrakech before Umayyad could invade me so I could swear fealty as a vassal republic instead of having it usurped and turned feudal. What, 10% of Hispania is Sunni at the 769 start? Didn't stop him from sending his Imam at me and nobody else but me. All 4 of my rival patricians were converted one by one, then I was converted, then I died and my Shia son inherited, and HE converted. All within the span of like 15 years. It was stupid.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why are you telling me this.

Because I doubt it would be much of an issue if the conversion penalty affected guardian conversion. So he could still do it.

Anyways, I totally forgot Ragnarr's son pulled this off after his fathers untimely death in my current game.

I'm not allied with them, but I happened to notice Flanders gaining its independence and Svipjod promptly holy warring it while I was out on a raid. Wouldn't have pulled it off if I hadn't said "Oh hell yes," and joined in, as France and a bunch of other dudes came to their defense. I also gave him some help in becoming Fylkir, but still cool.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Well, I just found probably the shittiest event ever:

The top choice was a 50% chance to become celibate, and the bottom 25%. Thank loving Christ I already had a couple of sons at that point.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Volkerball posted:

I've still never seen a decision to convert to your spouses religion. I don't know what you're supposed to do to trigger that or whatever. But anyways, it wouldn't be hard at all if you have a Germanic educate your heir. Not sure how it would work with Germanic being unreformed, but it wouldn't take but a couple hours to try it out and see what happens. Your safest bet would probably be Brittany or somewhere shattered in England at the CM start. Offer to join France's wars against Saxony and go siege some poo poo til you find a dude.

This can work--make sure the tutor you send him to is Gregarious or Diligent or, preferably, both. Those drastically increase the chance the child picks up the tutor's religion/culture.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SelenicMartian posted:

- Since you are my guest and I am your host, what's your pleasure? What do you like to do?
- Oh, I don't know. Play chess... screw...
- Let's play chess. :catholic:

Ofaloaf, please make ATE's Duchy of Arizona a Blazing Saddles parody. Capital: Rock Ridge. All courtiers named Johnson.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It is settled, I will launch a daring raid to capture one of these "vy-kings" to tutor my heir in the old ways :black101:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I know 867 nantes start is the comedy culture/religion shift shenanigans start, but I tried to do a serious nantes start in order to form a Breton empire and couldn't get anywhere without being killed by absolutely gigantic liberation revolts.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

It is settled, I will launch a daring raid to capture one of these "vy-kings" to tutor my heir in the old ways :black101:

You can start in Nantes if you want to be a feudal Norseman...just err, convert culture or just smash your way through the Breton King in a hurry before liberation revolts kill you instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

As a reformed pagan with primo, some vassals had the option to go independent on my rulers death, why?

• Locked thread