Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

vibratingsheep posted:

Yeah, when it comes to author spelling, sometimes it's best to take things with some healthy grains of salt.

Haha I really thought this was gonna link to Togashi's romanized names for Hunter x Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Juvia has a shocking amount of female fans.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

... and also will hopefully lead to less creepy Juvia ... Doing things with a Grey doll chapters.

gently caress you. <:mad:> I managed to completely forget that ever happened.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Reiche posted:

Haha I really thought this was gonna link to Togashi's romanized names for Hunter x Hunter.

I actually had the same thought.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I kinda liked Natsu with crazy hair, I thought after his adventure he turned Tarzan or a feral boy like Donald from Thornberrys.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In the newest chapter, Natsu gets a haircut! Now he looks and acts exactly the same! It's like the timeskip never actually meant anything at all!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I started reading this. I'm in the middle of the Galuna Island arc.

I like this manga! Like, a lot! I hope it doesn't self-destruct in a horrible way later on.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

So I started reading this. I'm in the middle of the Galuna Island arc.

I like this manga! Like, a lot! I hope it doesn't self-destruct in a horrible way later on.

It doesn't really self-destruct, but it gets gradually dumber in certain respects over time

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Honestly, I feel like it more or less maintains a consistent level of what it is. There are some times here and there where it falls flat, but it continues to be a manga where you see a guy punch things with a flaming fist because they made him angry. That's pretty much what I expect and what I get out of Fairy Tail.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nahxela posted:

Honestly, I feel like it more or less maintains a consistent level of what it is. There are some times here and there where it falls flat, but it continues to be a manga where you see a guy punch things with a flaming fist because they made him angry. That's pretty much what I expect and what I get out of Fairy Tail.

So far I think Natsu's the least interesting of the main group. Maybe that'll change later but I'm way more into Lucy and Erza and Gray's poo poo than his.

e: that said I do love how Natsu's reaction to every villain plot thus far is basically "that's stupid, you're stupid."

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 15, 2015

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Blockhouse posted:

So far I think Natsu's the least interesting of the main group. Maybe that'll change later but I'm way more into Lucy and Erza and Gray's poo poo than his.

e: that said I do love how Natsu's reaction to every villain plot thus far is basically "that's stupid, you're stupid."

No that bit never changes so be prepared to be interested in other characters more then the main one, but that is pretty much par for the course when it comes to shonen manga.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The main element that changes is that Erza eventually peels back the scary big sis facade and reveals that she's a billion times weirder than everyone else in the guild.

She is still the best character though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Fairy Tail has managed to stay at about the same level in terms of quality for most of its run. It gets a tad boring here and there and obviously we don't need to discuss the fanservice element for the thousandth time, but compared to Naruto and Bleach which I felt were notorious for having these insane swings between interesting/cool and tedious/lame (though I guess most people would suggest the interesting/cool parts were much fewer and far between than I would) Fairy Tail is just a fun punchmans story with some neat characters.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
okay up to tower of heaven

this is the real poo poo right here

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
New chapter is up. And uh, Carla has a human form now. Dammit Mashima.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
end of tower of heaven choked me up a little bit

I sure hope no one minds me commenting on five+ year old story arcs in this thread!

e: yeah let's let the guy who crucified people into the guild that's fine

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 16, 2015

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Astro Nut posted:

New chapter is up. And uh, Carla has a human form now. Dammit Mashima.

It makes sense, if Pantherlily has one, I don't see why the other cat's can't

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Carla's form is a literal catgirl though. If Pantherlily followed the same logic he'd be a naked man with cat ears.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

sharktamer posted:

Carla's form is a literal catgirl though. If Pantherlily followed the same logic he'd be a naked man with cat ears.

I'm guessing you forgot this series is full of blatant fanservice, of course he would add something that would increase it. Carla being a catgirl fills in one of the fetish slots as well, which would be a bonus.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Myurton posted:

I'm guessing you forgot this series is full of blatant fanservice, of course he would add something that would increase it. Carla being a catgirl fills in one of the fetish slots as well, which would be a bonus.

I know I'm being bad and looking at spoilers I really shouldn't given my point in the series but there's already a catgirl in FT :colbert:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Myurton posted:

Yeah don't worry, I didn't forget. He's also made sure not to lose his large underage girl fetishist contingent by making Wendy not even look slightly different after 2 years.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wendy and Carla are terrible, pointless characters, so this sounds entirely true to their natures.

FT was at its best when it was basically just Lucy, Erza, Natsu, and Gray going out on adventures, and I was hoping this arc would go back to that. Sadly they had to pick up the worst characters first.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 16, 2015

Thoren
May 28, 2008
drat it give Natsu his hair back.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Mickey Chickentiger"

get the gently caress out of here mashima

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

chumbler posted:

Wendy and Carla are terrible, pointless characters, so this sounds entirely true to their natures.

On the other hand, Wendy does have some good battle scenes.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

chumbler posted:

FT was at its best when it was basically just Lucy, Erza, Natsu, and Gray going out on adventures, and I was hoping this arc would go back to that. Sadly they had to pick up the worst characters first.

Lucy and Erza are already noncharacters - the last time Erza won a fight was after the last timeskip in the arena (and hasn't used magiquip since the parallel world arc,) and Lucy is just there to provide saturation fatigue over how much rear end she has dripping out of her booty shorts/miniskirts. Tie that in with the retconned rivalry of demon vs. demon-slayer with Natsu and Gray, and Wendy is already the least one-dimensional character. Gazeel and lightning dude are cool too

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

pinegala posted:

Lucy and Erza are already noncharacters - the last time Erza won a fight was after the last timeskip in the arena (and hasn't used magiquip since the parallel world arc,) and Lucy is just there to provide saturation fatigue over how much rear end she has dripping out of her booty shorts/miniskirts. Tie that in with the retconned rivalry of demon vs. demon-slayer with Natsu and Gray, and Wendy is already the least one-dimensional character. Gazeel and lightning dude are cool too

Chapter 403: Erza vs Kyouka

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have no idea how anyone could call erza and lucy one dimensional or non-characters. thus far in my reading they're the ONLY protagonists with emotional arc and development.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Thunderbro posted:

Chapter 403: Erza vs Kyouka

fails to stop face

Blockhouse posted:

I have no idea how anyone could call erza and lucy one dimensional or non-characters. thus far in my reading they're the ONLY protagonists with emotional arc and development.

Erza hasn't changed as a character since Jellal was revealed
Lucy has all these supposed power-ups and developments, but turns into a sad sack as soon as Natsu pops up or disappears. She'll pull these big sacrifices for plot, but they're inconsequential when they just get written over in the next arc. See drunk girl

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

They are, but they don't unequivocally win arcs to my specifications so they don't have character

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

pinegala posted:

Erza hasn't changed as a character since Jellal was revealed
Lucy has all these supposed power-ups and developments, but turns into a sad sack as soon as Natsu pops up or disappears. She'll pull these big sacrifices for plot, but they're inconsequential when they just get written over in the next arc. See drunk girl

Maybe Erza's arc will be about her finally moving on from Gerald. Also if this whole thing isn't a lead up to Lucy being the new guild master I'll be disappointed.

I am prepared to be disappointed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
who the gently caress is gerald

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blockhouse posted:

A mistranslation of Jellal.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
His name is actually Geraarudo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gerald and his good friend Blaine

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blockhouse posted:

He's literally everybody. everybody is secretly gerald in this manga

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fabricated posted:

He's literally everybody. everybody is secretly gerald in this manga

I'm glad I can understand this joke now

e: I don't know how Gajeel became my favorite character but its happened

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 17, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just watching on Netflix. Who knew there were that many comedic applications for a pit trap?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Remember when Wendy had the big character moment cutting her hair off and literally got it back in like 1 chapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

KoB posted:

Remember when Wendy had the big character moment cutting her hair off and literally got it back in like 1 chapter?

Again all these regularly known facts about fairy tail; almost everyone has a big character moment then goes right back to normal. Laxus, Gajeel, and whatever that one Dragon Slayer is who Mashima completely forgot about until he remembered he made them way way important to the story and brought him back for 5 minutes all have more of a character arc than the rest of the guild. Like people get married and 7-8 years pass and you don't really notice.

remember when Lucy came back from the time skip and find out her dad became semi-successful again through sleepless work and spent a lot of his new fortune trying to find if she was alive, only to die like a year or two before she came back? That was actually pretty well done and super sad.

Or when she "permanently" broke one of her keys to summon the spirit king thing and was also devastated by that?

Then she was pretty much exactly the same after both of those things. And the break up of their guild.

• Locked thread