Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Less Fat Luke posted:

When you drop a summon sign does your Steam name show up or your character name?

nope, it's your char name

also now that i actually bothered finishing up my sm 150k twink char, drakeblood armor is insanely stupid at that level

other guys do so little damage to you, it's like you're basically a boss. combined with pyromancy it sure feels like dark souls 1 up in here while i shoot fire snakes at people using basic buster armor and blue longswords or rapiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Character name

gently caress, beaten

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Less Fat Luke posted:

When you drop a summon sign does your Steam name show up or your character name?

The character name. There's a ridiculous censorship system in place too that will censor your name for others if ti contains certain words or parts of words.
For instance Knight will be K***ht because the syllable nig is evil beyond understanding.

E: Oh hey, look, I missed the fact that there was another page, oh well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SHISHKABOB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg3vnui8OyQ

If the whole game gets as changed up as this video shows fotfg, then I am totally gonna get it.

That's a bit more thorough than I thought it'd be. The troll at the start though, :laffo:

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Someone warned me about the porcupines in Eleum Loyce and I thought he was referrring to the soldiers with the ice crystals on their back. Nope. Its actual loving porcupines playing bonewheel.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

This PC port's a mess.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

This PC port's a mess.

I don't believe this game qualifies as a port. But if you mean the keyboard mouse controls, then yeah I probably agree.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is the durability bug still in the game? I've only had the warning of a broken weapon once but I've noticed I'm getting close

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yes the durability bug is still around. You still have to disable double-click input every time you start the game up as well.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't believe this game qualifies as a port. But if you mean the keyboard mouse controls, then yeah I probably agree.
I'm probably being too harsh without giving it a shot. I tried Dark Souls 1 a few years back, but it crashed on launch. I gave up after failing to fix it. I tried sequel today. It launches, but it feels wrong. The graphics look dated, my controller doesn't work despite trying the workarounds online, and there's no way to make the mouse sensitivity not super fast. It has the cheesiest opening and cut-scenes I've seen in a decade.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 14, 2015

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

IGgy IGsen posted:

The character name. There's a ridiculous censorship system in place too that will censor your name for others if ti contains certain words or parts of words.
For instance Knight will be K***ht because the syllable nig is evil beyond understanding.

E: Oh hey, look, I missed the fact that there was another page, oh well.

I do like that they took the time to include "yourgay" in the ban list.

Apparently you can modify the text file on your side to bypass the filter and it will carry across to the other player's games. Something to do with the censorship being applied before sending your character name down the wire.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Radio Paranoia posted:

Apparently you can modify the text file on your side to bypass the filter and it will carry across to the other player's games. Something to do with the censorship being applied before sending your character name down the wire.

"http://mod.gib.me/darksouls2/ngword/english.txt posted:

angrypenguins
I don't even need to scroll to find the first unnecessary instance of censorship. Is there some horrible meaning to angry penguins I'm not aware of?
I'm a filthy foreigner so I wouldn't know.
(I mean, I don't get angrydragon either but what the gently caress were they up to)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think they just got their entire censor list from urbandictionary

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IGgy IGsen posted:

I don't even need to scroll to find the first unnecessary instance of censorship. Is there some horrible meaning to angry penguins I'm not aware of?
I'm a filthy foreigner so I wouldn't know.
(I mean, I don't get angrydragon either but what the gently caress were they up to)

An angry penguin is when a guy and a woman are having sex and then when the guy is about to cum, she gets up and walks away, and then the implication is that he waddles after her like an angry penguin because his pants are around his ankles (thanks, urban dictionary). Most of that list is just hilarious.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Radio Paranoia posted:

That's not true. The censorship is done after they receive your name.

This said, there is a way to bypass the censor so that everyone can see it, but I'm the only one I've ever seen use it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can also just make the text file containing the censor words blank and it'll stop replacing the words with ***'s, but it'll only show up for you.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Tallgeese posted:

That's not true. The censorship is done after they receive your name.

This said, there is a way to bypass the censor so that everyone can see it, but I'm the only one I've ever seen use it.

Gotcha - I wasn't too sure how it worked, only the anecdotal evidence of a buddy of mine who got invaded by one "Anus Avenger".

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Can I still get Loyce Souls if I kill the Ivory King?

I'm scared of going in there and getting the four knights killed and not getting enough souls :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, is it a display error, or are my L1's with a powerstanced Espada Ropera +9 and Estoc +10 actually doing less damage than my R1's from the same Estoc? It sure looks like it when I'm trying to beat Fume Knight, and feels that way too. I've got the Flynn's Ring, RoB+1, and Old Leo Rings on, in case that makes a difference. Its pretty consistent, too, so I don't think its from the Old Leo only popping up consistently when I just use the Estoc.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Can I still get Loyce Souls if I kill the Ivory King?

I'm scared of going in there and getting the four knights killed and not getting enough souls :(
Yes, i got 45 of the 50 souls as a coop phantom after killing the king. As a summon the drop rate for them is much higher, and you can pump it a bit further with the proper gear. Just don't be a dick to the host and jump off the arena as soon the actual boss shows up (unless that's what the host does).

Disclaimer: that was after the DLC launched, the pool of summoning hosts could be much lower now. Also getting 50 of them isn't really worth it if you don't enjoy the fight.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 15, 2015

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

You can also jump back down to the Old Chaos after killing the Burnt Ivory King and kill the Charred Loyce Knights over and over. There'll only be one for each portal, though, so you'll have to travel back and forth a lot to make them respawn.
Getting summoned is the more ideal way of doing it due to higher drop rates, though.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I recently decided that a great use of my time would be to farm loyce souls, and I can confirm even at pretty high soul levels there's a pretty steady influx of people who either need help with the boss or are also farming.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Do the friendly loyce knights respawn for each attempt if you die?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
They do! They won't go anywhere until the boss has been defeated.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Needing to farm loyce souls just seems really stupid and pointless. Why the hell was this implemented? Its making one of my favorite fights in the game bad because I have to keep grinding for these stupid loving things.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
You don't need to. What are you doing it for?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
OCD

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

IGgy IGsen posted:

You can also jump back down to the Old Chaos after killing the Burnt Ivory King and kill the Charred Loyce Knights over and over. There'll only be one for each portal, though, so you'll have to travel back and forth a lot to make them respawn.
Getting summoned is the more ideal way of doing it due to higher drop rates, though.

The evil knights spawn continuously if you just wait, its about the duration of a warmth give or take. Also hilarious fun fact if you drop your sign, drop into the hole and get summoned, returning from being summoned spawns another set of dudes in. So you'll have 6 to deal with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When/where is it best to do the DLC?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

When/where is it best to do the DLC?

Before you take the true Throne
bearer of the curse

They're designed as post-game content, I believe. So let the credits roll and jump in. You can do it earlier, tho, soon as you've unlocked them. I usually go a bonfire or two in. Get some hot loot.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Not really.
The ideal/maybe intended time to do it is right before Giants memories.

But you can do them a after you kill the last old one. At that point youd probably have enough levels and equipment to go through any of the DLCs just fine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I started using the large club and its durability is atrocious

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

I started using the large club and its durability is atrocious

yeah lots of the big weapons have poo poo durability after last patch.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Someone get working on a Dark Souls 2 list of enemy falling animations please
http://imgur.com/a/pyTAK

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

holy canolie

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

This album is fantastic please click on it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Wait are there vagrants in this game? Not sure I've ever seen one.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Leper Residue posted:

Wait are there vagrants in this game? Not sure I've ever seen one.

The images are from DkS1. There are no vagrants in 2.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Do the models on those animations look better than the enemies in the actual game, or am I insane?

They just seem... crisper, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think the assets and textures are the same, so could just the lack of post processing messing with you.

YAAAAAAY!
                                                              /

:3: