Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Whoever approved that grill insert should loving hang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Whoever approved that grill insert should loving hang.
Oh but a giant nose flying down the highway is always an attractive sight, what crime is there in tha

...ok alright I'll get the pitchfork

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't see what's wrong with it - being big and ugly is the whole point of those trucks isn't it? It's not as though the competition has what you'd call 'subtle styling'

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

dissss posted:

I don't see what's wrong with it - being big and ugly is the whole point of those trucks isn't it? It's not as though the competition has what you'd call 'subtle styling'

I don't think the Chevy is to ugly. Maybe a little heavy on the chrome but otherwise it's fairly clean and simple.
The Ford isn't exactly what I'd call pretty, but at least it's got consistent styling. That is to say, it's clear that the designers put some thought into how all the elements of the design work together, despite it maybe not being the prettiest truck on the road.
The RAM on the other hand looks like it was designed by focusing groups and surveys of "potential customers". It's a mashup of various elements and styling cues that appear to have just been picked and slapped together because "that's what customers want" :airquote:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pretty sure the only reason you think that is you're more used to the other two.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mariguana posted:

The RAM on the other hand looks like it was designed by focusing groups and surveys of "potential customers". It's a mashup of various elements and styling cues that appear to have just been picked and slapped together because "that's what customers want" :airquote:

Isn't that pretty much every Chrysler at this point? Just a mashup of various crap?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

As someone that's lived in Texas for the past sixteen years... the people that buy trucks like those aren't the kind of people that hang out in these forums. The guys that buy those tend to have their whole identity wrapped up the truck they drive. A big, garish piece of poo poo like that is gonna have those black lone star wheels with big meaty tires, a minor body lift, aftermarket halo lights(bonus HID action!), truck nuts, and a salt life sticker on the back window.

AKA: A BroDozer

Found a pic of the typical driver of those [0 RAM 0] drivers:

I know this because I see these douchebags riding 2 inches off my back bumper on the freeway trying to punk out 'that human being driving the miata'

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 15, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mariguana posted:

I don't think the Chevy is to ugly. Maybe a little heavy on the chrome but otherwise it's fairly clean and simple.
The Ford isn't exactly what I'd call pretty, but at least it's got consistent styling. That is to say, it's clear that the designers put some thought into how all the elements of the design work together, despite it maybe not being the prettiest truck on the road.

Isn't that just a special trim? Those people will be doing it to their trucks anyway

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

MrChips posted:

That hideous new Ram is going to put places like AutoZone out of business, coming with all that garish trim from the factory.
The hideous Ram is going to make AutoZone a ton of money as owners of older/lower trim level Rams buy shiny plastic chrome bits to dress their trucks to match.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not to mention the chevy guys looking for a foot tall chrome "CHEVROLET" to stick on their tailgate.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Saw a new level of brotruck lighting douchebaggery the other night at my school's parking lot. Was a 90s Chevy, they had a panel of sun-bright LEDs running the whole width of the truck, about 3 inches wide. We were walking to our cars and we actually had to turn away in pain when it drove by, no exaggeration, it was that bright. Lit up the whole side of the school building like a stadium.

Where the hell do people even buy this stuff is my question.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fucknag posted:

Saw a new level of brotruck lighting douchebaggery the other night at my school's parking lot. Was a 90s Chevy, they had a panel of sun-bright LEDs running the whole width of the truck, about 3 inches wide. We were walking to our cars and we actually had to turn away in pain when it drove by, no exaggeration, it was that bright. Lit up the whole side of the school building like a stadium.

Where the hell do people even buy this stuff is my question.

SoCal via China, usually.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

From a detailing POV, gently caress cars & trucks with mesh grilles. They take forever to clean, and the chrome always get pitted & chipped from bugs/rocks/whathaveyou.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Taco Box posted:

and a salt life sticker on the back window.

Those are everywhere around here, my buddy and I have talked about getting stickers made saying "Jerk Life" in the same font and putting them on our cars.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Every time I see the salt life sticker, I see slut life.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Recently drove from ATL to Savannah and back in a Kia Sportage. Never again.

Taco Box posted:

As someone that's lived in Texas for the past sixteen years... the people that buy trucks like those aren't the kind of people that hang out in these forums. The guys that buy those tend to have their whole identity wrapped up the truck they drive. A big, garish piece of poo poo like that is gonna have those black lone star wheels with big meaty tires, a minor body lift, aftermarket halo lights(bonus HID action!), truck nuts, and a salt life sticker on the back window.

AKA: A BroDozer

Swap the "salt life" sticker for a Confederate flag sticker and add a pre-2003 Georgia flag plate up front and you'll have your prototypical Georgia BroDozer. Maybe add a tacky Mossy Oak wrap on the rocker panels for the redneck who doesn't want to go full-on bro just yet.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 16, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that rocker panel wrap poo poo you see is usually what's holding the rocker panels on

e - Dodge has figured out how to stop rocker rot but their bedsides go instead :iiam:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't really know anyone who buys new trucks so it's kind of a mysterious demographic to me. Everyone I know who works in the trades has some old beater truck/SUV, absolute latest is like the 2007 model year. Is it like construction managers/owners or lawyer yuppies or someone else buying the new F150?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't really know anyone who buys new trucks so it's kind of a mysterious demographic to me. Everyone I know who works in the trades has some old beater truck/SUV, absolute latest is like the 2007 model year. Is it like construction managers/owners or lawyer yuppies or someone else buying the new F150?

Soccer moms, guys in the military, guys who have been neutered by life and want a big truck to offset it

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pryor on Fire posted:

In the trades, it's usually the head honchos (owners, managers) who buy brand-new trucks (and immediately write them off on their taxes). The vast majority of small-time tradesmen I've seen buy ten-year-old trucks and vans from auction houses, govt surplus or private owners.

Everywhere else, it's a mixture of BroDozer aspirants, retired guys who'd otherwise be driving Town Cars and Sedan deVilles if it was still 1991, guys flush with oil sands/oil rig money and people who actually need to tow stuff (trailers, fifth wheel campers, etc).

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 16, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pryor on Fire posted:

Some people tow boats/campers/etc. Some people just like trucks.

I work in construction in an engineering position, and have a new F150 as a company car. I don't "need" a truck as I have an office job, but most people in my position have trucks because, uh, it's just what we drive.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

eyebeem posted:

I work in construction in an engineering position, and have a new F150 as a company car. I don't "need" a truck as I have an office job, but most people in my position have trucks because, uh, it's just what we drive.

Plus a brand-new truck is the modern-day equivalent of a body-on-frame car from the 1970s/1980s, only with better amenities and a metric fuckton more power. I've sat behind the wheel of last year's RAM Longhorn and it was opulent as hell.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

eyebeem posted:

Some people tow boats/campers/etc. Some people just like trucks.

Yeah all the yuppies I know who are affluent enough to tow boats/campers buy new Tacomas or Tundras as their 2nd/3rd car. I just absolutely never see anyone buy new American trucks, obviously they are out there I just haven't met any yet.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You definitely don't live in Texas. The Quad Cab truck is the defacto family vehicle of choice here.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well considering that the top 3 selling vehicles in the US are all trucks and light trucks (pickups + big SUVs) now outsell cars by a significant margin, it's hard to really stereotype new truck buyers beyond "have money" and "are American"

Here have some mostly uselss infographics:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-auto-sales/

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 16, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah all the yuppies I know who are affluent enough to tow boats/campers buy new Tacomas or Tundras as their 2nd/3rd car. I just absolutely never see anyone buy new American trucks, obviously they are out there I just haven't met any yet.

Here in Southern California it's almost all new Raptors and Tundras in my neighborhoods. The occasional Ram and Silverado.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

drgitlin posted:

Supercapacitors won't ever replace conventional batteries because they have different properties. Capacitors charge very quickly, but they also discharge very quickly. I've spoken about this exact topic with Kinoshita-san (President of Toyota Motorsport GmBH, whose race car, the TS040, uses supercapacitors) about whether and when we might see them fitted to a road car, and he told me it would be in conjunction with traditional batteries, because the former would be good for things like overtaking on the motorway (when you need a burst of speed) but that batteries are still much better for low speed driving (ie traffic).

I do some work with high energy supercaps, and I pretty much agree with that guy. The current best candidates for supercapacitors that would feasibly have energy density similar to li-ion batteries (using an electrolyte with wide voltage window and probably carbon nanomaterial electrodes, or carbon nanomaterial psuedocapacitors with something like MnO2 on the surface of a mesh) will have a nasty self discharge curve, so if you left the car out for a month, it'd drain and need a charge.

That, and if somebody makes a zinc/air battery or a lithium/air battery that is actually rechargeable, it'd blow the supercaps out of the water in terms of energy density, which is the all important issue. I'm actually wondering why we don't use disposable Al plate batteries with that neat electrolyte that prevents the oxide layer from forming on them, since 1000 km on a battery set would probably be pretty nice for most people, when all you got to do to go the same distance is about as involved as changing an air filter.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Seems like more Tundras sell in the urban areas, and in rural areas it's all American trucks. Tundras and Titans are fairly rare here in Iowa compared to the Ram/F/Silversierra.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Pryor on Fire posted:

The engineering manager where I work has a fully loaded RAM that's about a year old, cost somewhere around $65k. The interior smells wonderful with all that leather in it.

I think he got a hell of a deal on it though, before he came here he worked at Chrysler and had some connections or a huge employee discount or something. He got it right before he left Chrysler.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

You definitely don't live in Texas. The Quad Cab truck is the defacto family vehicle of choice here.

California too (10 miles in from the coast where it turns into Nevada/Arizona/Texas). Most are obviously not used for actual truck stuff except for Costco runs to get more Fireball and Coors Light.

I actually did some manly man stuff in muh truck today! :clint:

I do miss having my old Chevy Tahoe around for stuff though, so I'll eventually get another giant SUV for hauling drunk golfers and other dirty stuff.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 17, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I see lots of new American trucks on the road here in Wisconsin. There is never anything in the bed. I think most people buy them because half the towns can't plow worth a poo poo so the extra ground clearance and knobby tires help you get around. Also, at least here in Madison, the city won't even bother to plow many side-streets, so people get fed up of driving on packed snow and buy a truck to plow their own way out of the neighborhood.

I personally wouldn't ever drive a pickup, but I totally understand the reasoning. You wanna drive something that will resist the effects of salt, and ride high enough to A) get through poorly plowed streets and B)See over the enormous snowpiles in the middle of the road when you're trying to make a turn. It does make it harder on me, a Miata driver, however to see anything at all over all these trucks :(. Stop pushing me into the curb guys!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Well considering that the top 3 selling vehicles in the US are all trucks and light trucks (pickups + big SUVs) now outsell cars by a significant margin, it's hard to really stereotype new truck buyers beyond "have money" and "are American"

Here have some mostly uselss infographics:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-auto-sales/

Porsche is a 'super luxury' brand now?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Augmented Dickey posted:

Makes more sense than putting crossovers and minivans into the 'light duty truck' category

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

angryhampster posted:

Seems like more Tundras sell in the urban areas, and in rural areas it's all American trucks. Tundras and Titans are fairly rare here in Iowa compared to the Ram/F/Silversierra.

This could be a legacy of the old American dealer network, where the big 3 tried to have a presence in nearly every small town, and surely every county, across the country. Even my little tiny desert town 100 miles away from anything and with a very small population has a Chevrolet dealer, and it had Ford and Chrysler dealers until 10 or so years ago. Toyota never attempted to compete in this way.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Augmented Dickey posted:

The average transaction price for Porsche is like $90-100k, I'd say that qualifies. Compare to Mercedes or BMW at $55k/50k

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

That's high luxury. Super luxury is a Ferrari, lambo, pagani, koenigsegg etc

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This could be a legacy of the old American dealer network, where the big 3 tried to have a presence in nearly every small town, and surely every county, across the country. Even my little tiny desert town 100 miles away from anything and with a very small population has a Chevrolet dealer, and it had Ford and Chrysler dealers until 10 or so years ago. Toyota never attempted to compete in this way.

This could be true. I live in a metro area of ~200k though it's hard to judge.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Good news everyone!

My annual "Skoda released a new car you can't even buy in NA" post!

It's the new Superb! (Basically Skoda's take on the Passat)

Images grabbed from a app here here http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/

Compared to the current generation, its hell of an improvement. can't wait for the wagon version later this year.

e: vvvvv This one is even bigger :v:

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 17, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I know someone with an earlier year Superb and gently caress me it's so comfortable. The back is like a loving limo, there's so much room. I think I remarked that I could get down behind the driver's seat and sit down on the floor with room to spare if I wanted. Really nice car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Kerrow posted:

Good news everyone!

My annual "Skoda released a new car you can't even buy in NA" post!

It's the new Superb! (Basically Skoda's take on the Passat)

Images grabbed from a app here here http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/

Compared to the current generation, its hell of an improvement. can't wait for the wagon version later this year.

e: vvvvv This one is even bigger :v:

It strikes me that maybe the 4 door sedan is a 'solved' shape with hardly anything left to differentiate one make from another.

Either that or safety restrictions/regulations confine design so much that everything anyone designs just comes out homogenized.