Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Gypceros playing dead and then 1-shotting me when I foolishly tried to carve him is the best and funniest thing I've seen in a Monster Hunter game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo plates exist in low rank

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is the forward dashing attack for the LS being talked about in the OP? Is it hitting R after your fade slash because that doesnt result in a net gain in forward motion, it just puts you back where you were before.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fauxtool posted:

what is the forward dashing attack for the LS being talked about in the OP? Is it hitting R after your fade slash because that doesnt result in a net gain in forward motion, it just puts you back where you were before.

That's the one. It's more for better positioning and a good spirit combo starter than forward movement.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Is there some way to change the skills my cats have? Or equip skills to my ace at least?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Thoom posted:

Gypceros playing dead and then 1-shotting me when I foolishly tried to carve him is the best and funniest thing I've seen in a Monster Hunter game.

I had a quest to fight two of those and forgot that when you kill one monster it says "1 monster left" and I got two carves off of him before he freaked me the gently caress out. it looks really deranged once you smash it up a bit.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Thoom posted:

Experienced this today and it was the most incredible thing. It completely blindsided me.

On the other hand, Gypceros can also be a complete arsehole. PSA: If you're doing the "Capture Gypceros" multiplayer quest, BRING A PITFALL TRAP OF YOUR OWN. Apparently the bastard can steal your items. And yes, that includes the EZ Pitfall Trap the quest gives you. There doesn't seem to be a way to get it back either (I checked the cat colony area). But it was okay, because my partner brought along a Shock Trap! Oh... it's immune to Shock Trap. :suicide: We had to abandon and restart.

Apart from that experience I've been having an absurd amount of fun with this game. The monster variety even this early on is absurd! And being able to hold a charge on the hammer while climbing up and down small ledges just feels so good.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
New-ish player with a quick (and probably stupid) question.
Still on the first town so this isn't really a factor yet, but the OP was a little unclear: do Gunlances share regular Lances' "blunt OR cutting (for purposes of specialized drops)" trait?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Fauxtool posted:

cant you just wait in the same place for more to spawn?
They never did. I timed out the quest gathering in every area waiting for more to spawn. Ah well.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Still on the first town so this isn't really a factor yet, but the OP was a little unclear: do Gunlances share regular Lances' "blunt OR cutting (for purposes of specialized drops)" trait?

They did in the previous games, so most likely.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Zaras posted:

Good lord getting Gore Magala Feelers is a pain in the rear end, it seems like half the time he gets knocked out of frenzy or dies before the horn thingers even break.

Are you using pitfall traps? Because they put them right there for you to bust.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

muike posted:

This is my first monster hunter game and I'm still working my way through the weapon tutorials (i'm going to have this motherfucker on lock when i find him in the wild) and what're some good tips for not making other peoples' experiences worse when I play online? I'm sure it's not to the same extent as a DOTAlike but a noob has got to be a loving burden in MH.

Also dont go into multiplayer with a bunch of mismatched armor unless you've gemmed it out to give you relevant skills.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also dont go into multiplayer with a bunch of mismatched armor unless you've gemmed it out to give you relevant skills.

LR and most of HR a mismatched armour set is fine, unless it's giving you some nasty negative skills. There's no need to farm out a set early in the game, just play and have fun. Focus on upgrading your weapon and make whatever armour you can with the parts you have left.

My advice is: don't use a weapon which trips other players unless you REALLY know how to use it to minimise tripping (Charge Blade, Longsword, Insect Glaive), don't attack monsters which are being mounted by other players, be aware of whether it's a kill or capture quest, keep your health bar in good shape so you don't cart.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Thoom posted:

His intro video is also fantastic.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

AccountingNightmare posted:

Experienced this today and it was the most incredible thing. It completely blindsided me.

On the other hand, Gypceros can also be a complete arsehole. PSA: If you're doing the "Capture Gypceros" multiplayer quest, BRING A PITFALL TRAP OF YOUR OWN. Apparently the bastard can steal your items. And yes, that includes the EZ Pitfall Trap the quest gives you. There doesn't seem to be a way to get it back either (I checked the cat colony area). But it was okay, because my partner brought along a Shock Trap! Oh... it's immune to Shock Trap. :suicide: We had to abandon and restart.

Apart from that experience I've been having an absurd amount of fun with this game. The monster variety even this early on is absurd! And being able to hold a charge on the hammer while climbing up and down small ledges just feels so good.
Capture quests are those sort of things that will make everyone really upset, until they just accept that hard pass/fail nature of the quest means you should bring extra traps and materials to make more traps. It's still frustrating when you're solo and plant a trap, only to have the monster leave, since you have no alternative but to wait it out at that point.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Whenever doing solo capture quests, I always bring the proper type of trap (or both if both will work) + the stuff to craft a new one on the fly in order to maximize chances of actually getting the cap.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm guessing unstable expeditions aren't supposed to be done solo cause drat. I was not expecting a kut-ku to just show up out of nowhere when I'm trying to fight a ketcha.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I built a hammer out of the new HIV Dragon.

Yet I don't really notice anything new with the disease debuff. I seem to be able to walk through it fine and stand in it and suffer no ill effects and the dragon dies before even leaving the zone.

Also my hands hurt like hell because of how small the Original 3ds is. I never had this problem playing MH on the PSP.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I can't beat the Gypceros, he swings around too fast not to get hit with melee weapons, and his poison just destroys me when I try to use ranged.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

The Taint Reaper posted:

I built a hammer out of the new HIV Dragon.

Yet I don't really notice anything new with the disease debuff. I seem to be able to walk through it fine and stand in it and suffer no ill effects and the dragon dies before even leaving the zone.

Also my hands hurt like hell because of how small the Original 3ds is. I never had this problem playing MH on the PSP.

Disease gives you a bar that slowly fills (fills more when hit with more disease attacks) and you either:

1) Attack enough that it removes the bar and gives you an temporary attack boost (not sure on numbers here)
or
2) The disease bar fills and leaves you with a debuff that makes disease attacks hit for way more damage and also removes your ability to heal red HP

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm guessing unstable expeditions aren't supposed to be done solo cause drat. I was not expecting a kut-ku to just show up out of nowhere when I'm trying to fight a ketcha.

Sudden second monster out of nowhere quests are kind of a series staple. If you haven't played 3, look up "Deviljho". Don't worry, they're soloable, you just have to be pretty careful.

A good way to deal with it is to use Bomb Casings and Dung to make Dungbombs, then toss the poop at one of the monsters. It speeds up the chance that they'll separate into different areas.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
There's two things I don't actually like about this game, but they're quite small.

The first is you can't put account items into the red box any more.

The second is how Palico morale works. I wish there was a way to keep the hired ones coming with you permanently jazzed like your Ace palico.

The rest of the game is nothing but a bunch of amazing improvements so far. It's so good.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 15, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Haquer posted:

Disease gives you a bar that slowly fills (fills more when hit with more disease attacks) and you either:

1) Attack enough that it removes the bar and gives you an temporary attack boost (not sure on numbers here)
or
2) The disease bar fills and leaves you with a debuff that makes disease attacks hit for way more damage and also removes your ability to heal red HP

Oh so It looks like I did option 1.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Haha holy hell I forgot how amazingly fun Hammers are. I decided to craft the drill hammer and when I did I saw that I would need another two horns from the stupid bug to upgrade it, So I equipped the Drill and had at him. I went from 10 mins of frustration chasing him around to an absolute SLAUGHTER, killing him in 2 minutes flat taking 0 damage. It felt a bit like bullying to be honest...

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh so It looks like I did option 1.

Also when you failed the virus challenge, standing in those swirly black pools deal damage over time to you.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Yeah, virus attacks are just a more direct means of a pattern check, as opposed to, yaknow, just not getting hit- you have to also be able to keep up the pressure instead of playing super defensively. If you can't, you get punished. If you can, you get rewarded with extra attack at the cost of a bit of hp.

Also, to be more specific the "Immunity" status increases your affinity, not your direct damage.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 15, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also all of gore Magalas weapons are metal as gently caress. I'm surprised they have skulls on them but I guess that's only a taboo in china, not japan

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

What makes rare expeditions different from regular ones? Better drop rate on weapons/armor?

Also, what are cathangea seeds/plants for? Wycoon brings them up sometimes, but I can't tell if they're just for selling or not.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Armor-Piercing posted:

Also, what are cathangea seeds/plants for? Wycoon brings them up sometimes, but I can't tell if they're just for selling or not.

Cathangea seeds increase the number of stuff you get for multiply items. When you put in a request, there's an option to drop one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Bring dung bombs. A monster hit with a dung bomb or two will leave the area after a few moments.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The addition of monster cutscenes is a great touch

E: especially because I made my dude look smug as gently caress. "greeting zinogre heh you cant get me behind this wall heh he heh"

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ignimbrite posted:

Holy poo poo plates exist in low rank

Plates have always existed in low rank as far as I know, it's just easier to get them in the higher ranks cause better drop rates.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

After like a billion Great Jaggi hunts I think I'm finally done harvesting frills. Got my full suit of Jaggi Armor, a Jaggi Mask (which looks fuckin' boss but breaks my set bonus, RIP) and the weapons I wanted that required frills.

Guess it's finally time to move forward to another monster that I can hunt obsessively for days.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's a good early game Babby's First Gunner Set? Jaggi has Reload+, but none of the other sets at 2*/3* seem to have anything useful by way of skills.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

There's two things I don't actually like about this game, but they're quite small.

The first is you can't put account items into the red box any more.

Please tell me this is how you send items back to your stash while on a quest, because I'm tired of running out of room 5 minutes into a hunt.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

404GoonNotFound posted:

Tyskil posted:

They did in the previous games, so most likely.
I'm fairly certain that they don't and never did.

It's also worth pointing out that the lance cutting vs. impact damage thing only happens if I think it's something like (0.7)*(Impact Damage) > Cutting Damage, so you're not going to find yourself hitting impact all that often. I don't remember the exact fraction, but do note that it's not the full value of the impact damage equivalent.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Casnorf posted:

They never did. I timed out the quest gathering in every area waiting for more to spawn. Ah well.

I ran into this too, the last four spawned in area 9 for me only after I killed the first four. Before that 9 only had those pill bugs.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
3 Gore tails carved and I get 3 Gore Magala Scales.

DESIRE SENSOR! :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got a kill on a Yian Kut Ku at the last possible moment before it disappeared after takeoff with one last hail mary shot. Feels fuckin' good, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Actual question, I'm told from the video in the op that 80% of bowgun usage is knowing where and what monster weaknesses are. Is that knowable in game besides through experimentation or am I gonna need to FAQ it up?

• Locked thread