Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vancouver delenda est

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

sauer kraut posted:

Why don't you just put a washing machine in your kitchen, is that a crime in North America or something?

There are regulations about proper drainage for flooding and venting that make that impossible. You can't use existing shower vents because the dryer fluff is a fire hazard and you have to have an industrial drain underneath in case your washing machine explodes and water goes everywhere or whatever. Believe me I looked into it, communal laundry sucks even in an owners/adults-only building.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just do your laundry during the middle of week.

(just don't think about what's in everyone else's blankets and laundry)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I moved to an apartment I was really worried about dealing with a laundry room but it's seriously fine, never had any problems at all. There's a big board and people stick their apartment number on a time slot and you then have those 2 hours. No one stepping on anyone's toes, machines are always clean and working. It's a slight pain walking down 3 flights of stairs to get to the laundry room as we're about as far away as possible but if shared laundry is a deal-breaker for anyone they're a spoiled princess. (or have lived in a building with 20-somethings)

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Building laundry really depends on the building. In my girlfriend's old building there was only one washer and dryer for 16 suites and it was in the basement. It was horrible, but that building had plenty of other problems. In our building now, there's laundry on every other floor and it can be used 24/7 since it's a concrete building. Oh did I forget to mention, concrete buildings are great.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OhYeah posted:

I'm betting most jail cells in the Western world have more space, because to constrict someone in such a small space would be considered inhumane.

Yeah tell that to my slumlord landlady while I was doing a four-month studentship in Cambridge. I rented a box room for 400 pounds per week. It was about the size of the one in the photo. The house was a two-up, two-down. Usually the two downstairs rooms are the living and dining rooms, but in this case they were all bedrooms. There were no common areas besides the kitchen and bathrooms, and one bedroom had an entire Estonian family in it (mom, dad and teen-aged daughter). The heating thermostat had a lock box over it, and she didn't turn the heating on until November.

When I left, she gave me a lift to the bus. In her car, she had polo gear, and I'm pretty sure she was basically a rich housewife managing properties. She learned that I was South African, and began a horrifying racist rant about immigrants, punctuated with "you're from over there, you know what I'm talking about", while I smiled and nodded, not wanting to miss my bus.

Also, potentially, the future for Vancouver.

Baronjutter posted:

When I moved to an apartment I was really worried about dealing with a laundry room but it's seriously fine, never had any problems at all. There's a big board and people stick their apartment number on a time slot and you then have those 2 hours.

That's how they do it in my father-in-law's apartment block in Sweden. I didn't think it would have caught on in Canada.

Of course they also have crazy awesome things like a drying room, where you hang clothes on a line and a giant fan/heater gently blows them dry.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

OhYeah posted:

I'm betting most jail cells in the Western world have more space, because to constrict someone in such a small space would be considered inhumane.

I have a bed set up in one of my apartment's unused walk-in closets that is about that size (actually, I think my closet is bigger than that flex space) because I work the night shift so I have to sleep in the day, and there is a noisy busy road right outside. It's not bad if you are just using that room to sleep. 600 thousand for that small space is out of this world though and I feel like I am on another planet when I read the prices on condos in this thread. I don't even know how normal people operate in a place where it can cost that much for housing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Reverse Centaur posted:

There are regulations about proper drainage for flooding and venting that make that impossible. You can't use existing shower vents because the dryer fluff is a fire hazard and you have to have an industrial drain underneath in case your washing machine explodes and water goes everywhere or whatever. Believe me I looked into it, communal laundry sucks even in an owners/adults-only building.

They do sell special washers you can run into your sink bits its generally a space issue.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/jury-finds-calgary-men-guilty-in-multi-million-dollar-ponzi-scheme/article23004620/

quote:

Jury finds Calgary men guilty in multi-million dollar ponzi scheme

A Calgary jury has found two men guilty in what authorities have called the largest Ponzi scheme in Canadian history.

After a five month long trial and three days of deliberations the jury came back with guilty verdicts Saturday against Gary Sorenson and Milowe Brost in an elaborate scheme where investors were brought in and promised unrealistic returns.

Sorenson, 71, and co-accused Brost, 61, had pleaded not guilty to two charges each of fraud and theft. Brost was also charged with money laundering. The two men were arrested in 2009.

Ponzi schemes involve taking funds from new investors and using them to pay old ones.

Police said investors around the world lost between $100 million and $400 million in the scheme. The Crown says many lost their life savings, retirement plans, even equity in their homes.

The prosecution has indicated it will seek the maximum sentence of 14 years in prison. Both men had remained free on bail but were ordered kept in custody prior to a sentencing hearing expected next week.

During the trial the Crown argued that the money invested was never really safe and new money was used to pay out the earlier investors.

One set of fraud and theft offences took place between 1999 and 2008 and involved companies named Syndicated Gold Depository SA, Base Metals Corporation LLC, Bahama Resource Alliance Ltd. and Merendon Mining Corporation Ltd.

More wrongdoing took place between 2004 and 2005 with a company called Strategic Metals Corp.

Investors were promised a 34 per cent annual return on an investment of $99,000 which was supposed to grow to $1,035,000 within eight years.

They were told that the business involved selling gold for refining and that the deal was “low risk.”

It seems like a lot of Canadian Ponzi schemes have been falling over lately. There's these shitheads and then we have:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/110m-ponzi-scheme-winners-become-losers-1.2947023
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/william-wise-gets-22-years-in-prison-for-130m-ponzi-scheme-1.2954456
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rcmp-allege-ponzi-scheme-afoot-at-seaquest-capital-1.2938388

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"The Crown says many lost their life savings, retirement plans, even equity in their homes."

I love the ranking going on in that sentence. Oh, some people lost their life savings and their entire pensions, and times are gonna be tough for them. But some people lost equity in their houses. :supaburn:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's interesting how the Madoff scam blew up before the 2009 recession.

I guess during bubble conditions gullible people are more tempted to believe in alternative investments.

On a more related note TD bank sees the energy and maritime provinces being the first to see big price drops:
http://business.financialpost.com/2015/02/12/canadas-oil-capitals-are-headed-for-their-first-housing-correction-since-2008-td-warns/

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 15, 2015

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
"Investors were promised a 34 per cent annual return on an investment of $99,000 which was supposed....."

Lol, how insane do you have to be to fall for this? I mean, there is dumb and then there is just plain insane.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jet sanchEz posted:

"Investors were promised a 34 per cent annual return on an investment of $99,000 which was supposed....."

Lol, how insane do you have to be to fall for this? I mean, there is dumb and then there is just plain insane.

People did the same thing with Madoff somehow believing that he could give them real 15%-20% returns year after year.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jet sanchEz posted:

To quote something I read somewhere but I can't remember where: "You can almost always short-circuit the three braincells humans use for reasoning by appealing to their greed."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

To quote something I read somewhere but I can't remember where: "You can almost always short-circuit the three braincells humans use for reasoning by appealing to their greed."

Canadians seem to have lots of greed right now, like all the articles in which they can't wait for their parents to die so they can collect their inheritance money and solve their money problems

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

Canadians seem to have lots of greed right now, like all the articles in which they can't wait for their parents to die so they can collect their inheritance money and solve their money problems

The Waiters

Also kids asking for an advance on their inheritance lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cultural Imperial posted:

The Waiters

Also kids asking for an advance on their inheritance lol

I wonder if, when parents hear that, they have some conception of what a lovely loving job they did raising their kid.

EDIT: "I wonder then, as I wonder now, if they wouldn't have turned out very differently indeed if you had administered a few fatal beatings early on," to quote the Rowan Atkinson sketch.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 15, 2015

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

etalian posted:

Yeah, there is probably something inherently wrong with Canadian culture when you're asking your parents to kick the bucket early so you can grab their estate.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Whoops wrong thread

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 15, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't giving your inheritance to your kids before you die way better from a tax perspective or is that just a myth being spread by boomers trying to get out of debt asap?

I know if I was old and rich I'd slowly give my kids all my money over the last decades of my life so I could see them enjoy it, not have to deal with lawyers, and maybe save some money on taxes. Unless they were idiots, then I'd give most of it to charities helping people with way bigger problems.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't giving your inheritance to your kids before you die way better from a tax perspective or is that just a myth being spread by boomers trying to get out of debt asap?

I know if I was old and rich I'd slowly give my kids all my money over the last decades of my life so I could see them enjoy it, not have to deal with lawyers, and maybe save some money on taxes. Unless they were idiots, then I'd give most of it to charities helping people with way bigger problems.

It depends on your inheritance tax rate. It looks like in Canada there actually isn't a separate rate but you're considered to have sold everything you own to an "estate" with your name on it immediately before death.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Meanwhile in Australia:

quote:

MULTIPLE lenders have eased requirements on borrowers’ deposit sizes making it easier to buy a home…

New data from comparison website Finder.com.au shows lenders including Homeloans, HSBC, loans.com.au, Macquarie Bank, RAMS and Westpac have moved their LVRs on some mortgage products, relaxing the size of the deposit needed to secure a loan…

Finder.com.au spokeswoman Michelle Hutchison said borrowers who had small deposits and were taking out a loan at a time when interest rates were at record lows was a “recipe for disaster”…

According to the financial comparison site, almost half of all home loans on their database had a maximum LVR of 95 per cent or higher.

This rise in high LVR lending of course comes at a time when investor mortgage lending has surged to unprecedented heights, whereby nearly one in two new mortgages are going to investors (see next chart).

Regulators have been debating whether to implement macro-prudential controls on high risk mortgage lending for nearly two years now. Seriously, how much more evidence do they need that housing speculation is out of control?

Get off your arse APRA, do your job, and curb this fiasco before it takes the economy down.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/02/return-high-lvr-mortgage/

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
jumpingmanjim, anecdotally, what are your friends and associates doing about real estate? Myself, I am friends with a couple, both of which are accountants who have just bought a house in Melbourne. I mean, they're loving accountants. How the gently caress does this make sense to accountants?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

jumpingmanjim, anecdotally, what are your friends and associates doing about real estate? Myself, I am friends with a couple, both of which are accountants who have just bought a house in Melbourne. I mean, they're loving accountants. How the gently caress does this make sense to accountants?

Honestly most people I know seem to be renting. The trend seems to be people buying later and later in life, unless you're from Mainland Chinese new money. Or maybe I just hang around with losers.

E: from reading the People bad with money thread, accountants can be really bad with money. In fact accountants in Australia would probably be the first to recommend investing in housing for the tax advantages. In any case, is there something about accountants that would make them more likely to see a bubble forming? Cause if so, I don't see what it could be.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 16, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
excuse me but you're all rentailures.

What's the % of Australia's GDP subsumed by Finance, Real Estate and Insurance industries?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

excuse me but you're all rentailures.

What's the % of Australia's GDP subsumed by Finance, Real Estate and Insurance industries?

lol

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/09/australia-on-fire-once-again/

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That's way better than Canada. We're at what? 30% FIRE?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That's way better than Canada. We're at what? 30% FIRE?

well in terms of TSX sector composition finance is 35%

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

One of the floorplans

I mean gee whiz, how could you not want a living room smaller than your tiny rear end bedroom with no closets for $600,000?

I also should note that their ad on the back of the Georgia Straight said "prices starting at $300K", and that one is the second-smallest condo they're selling (barely larger than the studio). I'd expect that it's going for $300 to $350K, not $600K. It's still too much for it to be worthwhile as an investment (rent income would fall a bit short of covering even the mortgage payments, let alone maintenance, tax, utilities, etc), but nowhere near the "$600K studio" strawman we've all been hyperventilating over for the past day.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

It's almost like some people make decisions about housing that are based on emotion.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

^ From the bloomberg article you linked. 70 year olds carrying debt equal to 100% of disposable income? :laffo:

Oh well, I guess creditors can't pursue you beyond the grave.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Saltin posted:

It's almost like some people make decisions about housing that are based on emotion.

A lot of bubble behavior can be explained by irrational crowd behavior, "you don't want to miss out by renting do you?"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

cc: @conorsen Six weeks into 2015, and housing inventory looks like it's going to be super tight again this year. http://blog.altosresearch.com/housing-market-still-super-tight-should-be-a-good-year-for-sellers/

https://twitter.com/mikesimonsen/status/567346597437386752

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's not surprising the Eurozone still has a bubble given how ECB driven QE drove interest rates to new lows.

Why invest in bonds/savings accounts, when real estate is a better investment in low rate environment?

quote:

The Post-2009 Northern and Western European housing bubble is proof that we are living in the era of The Bubble Bubble (a bubble of bubbles) as well as an era characterized by the most outrageous arrogance and hubris that humanity has ever experienced.

The 2008 global financial crisis should have taught everyone their lesson once and for all, but we are clearly living in a world filled with excruciatingly slow-learners

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 16, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1714514/canada-extends-millionaire-migration-deadline-scheme-appears-flop-rich

quote:

Canada extends millionaire migration deadline as scheme appears to flop with rich Chinese

Canada’s new millionaire migration scheme appears to have flopped amid doubts about its suitability for rich mainland Chinese, forcing authorities to quietly issue a lengthy extension to an application window which was supposed to have ended last week.

The Immigrant Investor Venture Capital (IIVC) pilot programme, which will grant permanent residency to immigrants who are worth a minimum of C$10 million (HK$62 million) if they hand over C$2 million for Canada’s government to invest on their behalf, will now take applications until April 15. That extends the application window from two weeks to a total of 11 weeks, suggesting the scheme has fallen well short of the worldwide cap of 500 applications.

Immigration industry sources had doubted the costly scheme would hit the application cap during the original window, and questioned whether the government was sincere about the programme. They said the scheme’s strict requirements - applicants must speak English or French, have a Canadian tertiary qualification or equivalent, and undergo a financial audit - would deter mainland Chinese millionaires.

Canada’s defunct Immigrant Investor Programme (IIP), which the IIVC scheme replaces, was the world’s most popular wealth migration scheme, thanks mainly to rich Chinese applicants.

The IIVC extension was made via new instructions from immigration minister Chris Alexander which were published in the government gazette on Friday, two days after the initial window ended. The amendment was noted on Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC) website, but no other public announcement appears to have been made.

There was also no explanation why the extension was needed. The initial ministerial instructions had said the scheme, which opened on January 28, would only accept applications until February 11 “or until a maximum of 500 applications are received, whichever comes first”. Only a maximum of 60 randomly drawn applicants and their families will be allowed to immigrate.

Jean-Francois Harvey

Prior to the extension, The South China Morning Post asked CIC whether the number of applications received by February 11 would be made public and whether a breakdown of the nationalities of applicants would be provided. “If or when we have something to announce, we will,” CIC’s entire emailed response said.

Hong Kong immigration lawyer Jean-Francois Harvey said he doubted whether the extension would have much effect.

“From what I have seen from the market reaction, I do not think that the extra time will make a big difference. Once the client learns about the criteria and conditions, the conversation switches quickly to other destinations that are available,” Harvey said today.

“I stated before that CIC will get their [60] cases, well, I may have to review this statement by April 15.”

Vancouver immigration lawyer Richard Kurland said the initial two-week application window had stymied would-be immigrants. “CIC kept the new rules secret, and so no surprise to see prospective millionaire applicants scrambling to get their language tests done, and education credentials assessed from a small list of authorised providers, all before Chinese New Year,” he said on Sunday.

Richard Kurland

The prospect of a financial audit would also give many would-be applicants pause. “Given the matrix of information-sharing agreements between Canada and many countries, including China, millionaire applicants will need to be squeaky clean,” Kurland said.

Fellow Vancouver immigration lawyer Ryan Rosenberg had said last month that “CIC is either vastly over-estimating demand, for what is a very expensive programme, or is genuinely disinterested in filling their quota.”

Kurland said the need for the extension “was definitely foreseeable”. “I expect IIVC applications to begin arriving at CIC only in late March, because there is no advantage to filing early, when the system is designed as a lottery, instead of ‘first come, first served’,” he said.

Canada’s former IIP was the world’s most popular vehicle for wealth-based migration before it was axed last year. In 2010 alone, the scheme attracted a peak of 12,675 applications representing 42,312 wealthy would-be immigrants. More than 80 per cent were mainland Chinese who lodged applications via the Hong Kong consulate, creating a vast backlog that contributed to the scheme’s demise.

The axing of the 28-year-old IIP was followed by Hong Kong’s decision to shut down its own Capital Investment Entrant Scheme last month. The schemes had been criticised for helping drive up property prices in Vancouver and Hong Kong respectively, the two most unaffordable housing markets in the world.

From 2007 to 2013, 81 per cent of all Chinese applicants to the IIP said they planned to live in British Columbia, representing 61 per cent of applicants worldwide. About 37,000 investor immigrants are known to have activated permanent residency in BC from 2005 to 2012, nearly all settling in Vancouver. Many others likely arrived after landing elsewhere in Canada.

tl;dr Mainlanders aren't interested in the revamped investor immigrant program because the corruption and financial controls are too stringent.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I love it. Did anyone actually think these people earned their money legitimately?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ceciltron posted:

I love it. Did anyone actually think these people earned their money legitimately?

It is not for you to judge lest you deign to suffer unto the wrath of SJWs

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can we please not push imperialistic euro-centric ideas of "corruption" (a western concept) on other cultures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good. All my Chinese friends in Canada have had to deal with a poo poo-ton of racism from white Canadians for "invading" their country. Even if those mainlanders have money, their kids will still have to deal with a ton of hatred from mainstream Canadian society.