Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mad Lupine posted:

I was going to make a joke about how this thread's opinion of Bob would flip as soon as it was mentioned that GGer(s?) had said anything disparaging about him. I didn't make it because I felt it was too inflammatory and unnecessary.

I wish I made that joke.

Ah yeah man, look at all the Moviebob dick sucking going on here, what with people giving extremely qualified compliments to him, and generally outright disparaging him while saying he sometimes makes good videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cubey posted:

I'm not sure many people have particularly high hopes for a new Star Wars tbh

A lot, you're confusing the internet cynics with actual people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Escapist has been imploding for a while now, and the big issue seems to be the people upstairs. Jim Sterling quit after his boss at the Escapist willingly let the Gamergate debacle engulf the site, and then even hosted the opinions of a developer/journalist/somebodycan'trememberproperly who had publicly slandered Jim. Recently, they had a huge number of layoffs at the site for longtime employees, and they have been bleeding content for years without replacing it. There is almost nothing on the site anymore that hasn't been rehosted somewhere else first. Any time one of their big draws leaves or gets shitcanned, they just throw more Top Ten lists or repeats of old Game Theory episodes. Most of LoadingReadyRun's stuff is on Youtube already, and even the Critical Miss guy, douchebag he can be, is considering leaving the site and just going to patreon.

If there's a trend I've noticed over the past year it is content producers striking out on their own. People breaking away from Machinima, The Escapist burning off all its talent, and Channel Awesome being pretty much irrelevant anymore, these hosting sites are on their last legs.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The Escapist isn't "apolitical", it's just better at hiding the fact that general manager Alex Macris supports GG and hides behind a veneer of neutrality to give GG legitimacy. I'm totally not surprised that Alex would shoot his own website in the foot for political reasons.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Escapist has been imploding for a while now, and the big issue seems to be the people upstairs. Jim Sterling quit after his boss at the Escapist willingly let the Gamergate debacle engulf the site, and then even hosted the opinions of a developer/journalist/somebodycan'trememberproperly who had publicly slandered Jim. Recently, they had a huge number of layoffs at the site for longtime employees, and they have been bleeding content for years without replacing it. There is almost nothing on the site anymore that hasn't been rehosted somewhere else first. Any time one of their big draws leaves or gets shitcanned, they just throw more Top Ten lists or repeats of old Game Theory episodes. Most of LoadingReadyRun's stuff is on Youtube already, and even the Critical Miss guy, douchebag he can be, is considering leaving the site and just going to patreon.

If there's a trend I've noticed over the past year it is content producers striking out on their own. People breaking away from Machinima, The Escapist burning off all its talent, and Channel Awesome being pretty much irrelevant anymore, these hosting sites are on their last legs.

You think part of this sort of thing is Patreon and such making it easier for small content producers to get compensation for things? I don't know what places like Machinima, Escapist, or CA pay or how easy it is to replicate that money with Patreon or independent ad revenue - although lots of guys seem to be able to do okay without being managed these days. Look how few fucks the Two/Super Best Friends give about the Machinima gig these days.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

You think part of this sort of thing is Patreon and such making it easier for small content producers to get compensation for things? I don't know what places like Machinima, Escapist, or CA pay or how easy it is to replicate that money with Patreon or independent ad revenue - although lots of guys seem to be able to do okay without being managed these days. Look how few fucks the Two/Super Best Friends give about the Machinima gig these days.

Pretty sure CA only paid their non-Doug talent with "exposure". Everything the content makers got came from ad revenue, which was why Linkara made that one video asking people to not use adblock on his videos.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Spiritus Nox posted:

I guess every case is different, but Ursa actually made a video about her case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsg8HhM_k00

tl;dr Patreon seems to be a game changer for many

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Alacron posted:

Pretty sure CA only paid their non-Doug talent with "exposure". Everything the content makers got came from ad revenue, which was why Linkara made that one video asking people to not use adblock on his videos.

Yeah, no one is directly employed by CA. You could call them independent contractors, kinda sorta. Except they're not paid by the company that publishes their work, but a different company.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Loading Ready Run does just fine on their own. iirc, only about four of them are actual full-time this-is-our-job employees, the rest are just their mates helping out for individual videos. Their last year of weekly videos was done off a Kickstarter just so they'd have a decent budget on them for once, and the only reason they're stopping them (aside from going ten years strong) is because they do a bunch of other projects as well now.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I only went to the Escapist only to see Jim Sterling in the last year, but he have been putting out mush better work since he started patreon and i assume the same can be said for Moviebob when he put up a patreon. so i could care less when escapist belly up, even moreso now since their main guy is a GGer.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 15, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spiritus Nox posted:

Unless you're crazy popular Patreon is probably going to beat ad revenue every day of the week. Especially if you're only somewhat or medium popular. My sister in law does youtube videos and gets a few hundred to a few thousand hits per video, with which gets her somewhere in the neighborhood of jack poo poo revenue wise. Her Patreon on the other hand pays her several hundred dollars a month.

With Patreon a couple hundred fans can far outstrip ad revenue from thousands of views. So unless you're getting super high views, and that's sustained from video to video, Machinima and other platform providers just can't compete. Of course if you're getting that many hits you can also open up a Patreon and get crazy money that way. Platform providers are becoming more and more useless as ad revenue falls and external support systems grow. Assuming they're large enough they probably do provide some level of protection from dickbag take down requests though.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

It occurs to me that Moviebob's firing from The Escapist was entirely motivated by Gamergate for a few key reasons.

The Escapists new Editor in Chief says. posted:

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events." -Robert A. Heinlein

11 years ago, I got my first office job working as a Game Master for a small local company here in Durham, NC called Themis Group. I was hired to work on support tickets for the Saga of Ryzom Beta and I've been with the company ever since. It wasn't long after I joined Themis that The Escapist was born, founded with the dream of offering compelling, relevant, and entertaining coverage of all things game-related. It would, however, be some time before I got involved in The Escapist directly.

From 2005 to 2009, I led our CS teams in supporting various online games, acted as Community Manager for Nokia's N-Gage Arena (after the side-talking fiasco, mind you; this was the N-Gage QD era) and served as a QA consultant focusing on MMO testing for game developers. Eventually, I moved over to assist The Escapist's Business Development team.

From there I began writing and editing our Magic: the Gathering column, Hexproof. When Alloy Digital acquired Themis, I finally made the move into the Editorial team as News Manager under Susan Arendt. I'd been writing columns for almost a year at that point, so becoming a full-time editor seemed a natural fit--and it was. I've now had over two years to refine my skills in managing teams, directing and producing great online content, and, of course, maintaining the most robustly nerdy lifestyle imaginable.

Around this time last year, we broadened the focus of The Escapist. Where once this was a site dedicated exclusively to video games, with occasional forays into other aspects of geek culture, The Escapist grew into a bastion of full-spectrum geekiness. We're no longer just a video games site. We are a site for geek enthusiasts of all stripes, be they Magic players, Dungeon Masters, TV aficionados, comics fans, or technophiles. That one little word, "enthusiasts," embodies precisely what The Escapist should be all about now and going forward.

The name The Escapist evokes precisely what we love about our hobbies. We may turn to games, movies, and comics for any number of reasons, but the end result is invariably the sense of leaving behind the world we know and exploring the vastness of an entirely new universe. We are Escapists, freeing ourselves from the bonds of day-to-day reality in favor of something more fanciful, more fantastic, and, frankly, more palatable. This sense of freedom and joy, of exploration and discovery is what I see as the brightest part of The Escapist's future.

Moving forward, The Escapist is eschewing the "curmudgeon" mentality that is so pervasive these days in favor of the "enthusiast" mentality that we want to foster among our community, and geek culture at large. We want to focus on finding the good in the geekspace, rather than focusing on the bad. We want to facilitate enjoyment, rather than disparagement. We want to talk more about the things we love, and less about the things we hate.

With that in mind, The Escapist's mothership, Defy Media, has a number of other gaming properties that we're eager to ramp up coordination with, including GameFront and GameTrailers. Fostering better collaboration between our existing geek-oriented sites is going to be a major step forward in our ability to offer the breadth of content that geeks and gamers alike are browsing, given the oft-eclectic tastes of our group and the staggering array of exciting content being created for us nowadays

Of course, even the most positive changes always come with a cost, and this is no exception. Our restructuring has cost us a number of amazing writers, editors, and contributors in this process. Working with these talented individuals over the last 12 months has been an incredible honor and privilege for me personally, and for the team at large. I know we will see great things from all of them in the future.

It is therefore with a mix of both sadness and optimism that I officially announce that I am moving up from Managing Editor to Editor in Chief here at The Escapist. I've been working diligently for years now to ensure I was prepared to handle the inherent struggles of the position, but there really is no way to prepare for saying goodbye to comrades-in-arms. It is certainly true that their talents and dedication will be sorely missed, but I'd rather say this: Their dedication to the team, to the cause, and to the things we all cherish so dearly will be remembered, always fondly.

With that, I would now like to turn my attention to you, our faithful readers. Many of you have been with us since the inception (and to each and every one of you, I offer my personal, heartfelt thanks for your ongoing support) and I urge you all, new and old members of the community alike, to band together to support the positivity that is intrinsic in our hobbies, in our lives. Don't be afraid to call out the bad, but temper it heavily with the things you love to affirm your place as an enthusiast, not a curmudgeon.

On that front, we're also very happy to announce that Ron Whitaker, previously Managing Editor at our sister site GameFront, will be taking over as Community Manager here at The Escapist. Ron's been a PC gamer from the 80s through the 90s PC gaming renaissance, and continues to this day. We expect that he'll fit right in, given the prevailing penchant for PCs among The Escapist's community.

Any change like this will inevitably create confusion, raise questions, and even draw some ire, so I would encourage everybody who has questions or concerns to contact me on Twitter, in the forums here on this post, or through The Escapist's PM system, where I'll be happy to discuss what this means for your favorite website and mine, Escapist Magazine dot Com.

Thanks for reading, and I hope we'll see every one of you here on The Escapist in the coming weeks, months, and years.

Kind Regards,
Joshua Vanderwall
Editor in Chief

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeesh. That is Propaganda as poo poo.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Sounds like a bunch of bullshit, i think Jim saw the writing on the wall and left as soon as possible. i don't like moviebob but it sucks that he got fired for some bullshit PR stunt.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 15, 2015

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Will Bob continue to make money off the videos he produced for the escapist? Or will he have to make do with an income generating back catalog consisting almost entirely of Game Overthinker episodes?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Cubey posted:

I'm not sure many people have particularly high hopes for a new Star Wars tbh

New Star Wars actually looks really good so far. Like, it could still end up terrible, but almost everything they've shown/announced has been good. More practical effects, real sets, puppets, no EU bullshit, relative unknown actors, female and black leads, screenwriter from Empire Strikes Back, fight choreography done by the guys who did The Raid movies, Andy Serkis, and an outright REFUSAL to accept George Lucas's script suggestions. It's definitely going to play it safe; it won't bring the series in a new direction, and it won't equal the original trilogy. There's gonna be a lot of references and fanservice, just like the Abrams Star Trek, but honestly, Abrams was more cut out to make a Star Wars movie than a Trek movie anyway. I've got high hopes.

Jurassic World, on the other hand...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

High Warlord Zog posted:

Will Bob continue to make money off the videos he produced for the escapist? Or will he have to make do with an income generating back catalog consisting almost entirely of Game Overthinker episodes?

Oh poo poo, I hadn't even thought of that. That would be a near-total-disaster for him if Escapist is keeping his old work revenue.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Gyges posted:

Unless you're crazy popular Patreon is probably going to beat ad revenue every day of the week. Especially if you're only somewhat or medium popular. My sister in law does youtube videos and gets a few hundred to a few thousand hits per video, with which gets her somewhere in the neighborhood of jack poo poo revenue wise. Her Patreon on the other hand pays her several hundred dollars a month.

With Patreon a couple hundred fans can far outstrip ad revenue from thousands of views. So unless you're getting super high views, and that's sustained from video to video, Machinima and other platform providers just can't compete. Of course if you're getting that many hits you can also open up a Patreon and get crazy money that way. Platform providers are becoming more and more useless as ad revenue falls and external support systems grow. Assuming they're large enough they probably do provide some level of protection from dickbag take down requests though.

For a fun look at the numbers, my YouTube videos have received 11,852 views in the last month, probably around half of them on monetized videos. Estimated revenue in that time: $3.88

I'm raking it in

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reminder that The Escapist tried to claim the majority of Extra Credit's profits from a charity drive intended to help pay for their artist's surgery.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reminder that The Escapist tried to claim the majority of Extra Credit's profits from a charity drive intended to help pay for their artist's surgery.

Oh holy poo poo, I totally forgot about that.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Jay O posted:

Yeah, no one is directly employed by CA. You could call them independent contractors, kinda sorta. Except they're not paid by the company that publishes their work, but a different company.

Wait, what about the two amateur actors that appear in Doug's videos? Don't tell me they are doing that for free...

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Tarquinn posted:

Wait, what about the two amateur actors that appear in Doug's videos? Don't tell me they are doing that for free...

Malcolm and Tamara are on payroll, yes. None of the producers are, though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Miss Wallace posted:

Phelan and I did a Valentine's episode of Movie Nights on the Love Bug reboot starring Bruce Campbell:
http://phelous.com/2015/02/14/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-love-bug-1997/
Its gotta be weird watching anything John Hannah now after he played Batiatus in Spartacus

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

quote:

Moving forward, The Escapist is eschewing the "curmudgeon" mentality that is so pervasive these days in favor of the "enthusiast" mentality that we want to foster among our community, and geek culture at large. We want to focus on finding the good in the geekspace, rather than focusing on the bad. We want to facilitate enjoyment, rather than disparagement. We want to talk more about the things we love, and less about the things we hate.

...and yet Yahtzee remains onboard.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

...and yet Yahtzee remains onboard.

While I'm thinking about it, has he ever commented on the whole GG shitstorm?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Spiritus Nox posted:

He's commented on it along with his friend-that-I-can't-remember-the-name-of in a couple of his Let's Drown Out videos, dunno if he's talked about it anywhere else. Near as I could tell, he's a "moderate" that still unironically uses "skeleton warrior" as derogatory slang and equates moderation to censorship, as well as saying some other fairly ignorant but run-of-the-mill brogressive silliness here and there ("why can't everyone stop being so sensitive and just laugh at jokes about everyone's race/gender/sexuality/identity regardless of societal, political or social context", that sort of thing). Basically most of what he's bothered to say about it boils down to "I choose no side anyways here's several minutes of affirming the views of one side".

As far as I know, he hasn't completely dropped the act and gone full TotalBiscuit (link always obligatory, especially since that he's recently proven to be even more of a whackjob than that post implies, good thing he has influence over literal millions of sycophantic followers!), but Yahtzee's expressed views line up pretty neatly with the views that the Escapist holds beneath the ever-disingenuous inherently-contradictory always-hilarious veneer of being apolitical.

Make of that what you will.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Beefstew posted:

New Star Wars actually looks really good so far. Like, it could still end up terrible, but almost everything they've shown/announced has been good. More practical effects, real sets, puppets, no EU bullshit, relative unknown actors, female and black leads, screenwriter from Empire Strikes Back, fight choreography done by the guys who did The Raid movies, Andy Serkis, and an outright REFUSAL to accept George Lucas's script suggestions. It's definitely going to play it safe; it won't bring the series in a new direction, and it won't equal the original trilogy. There's gonna be a lot of references and fanservice, just like the Abrams Star Trek, but honestly, Abrams was more cut out to make a Star Wars movie than a Trek movie anyway. I've got high hopes.

Jurassic World, on the other hand...

I was cautiously optimistic before the second Abrams Star Trek movie. Into Darkness was so lovely, however, that it really dulled any optimism I had.

It can't possibly be anywhere near as bad as the prequels, but I dunno. Maybe I've just outgrown Star Wars or some poo poo, but I cannot even force myself to look forward to it.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Spiritus Nox posted:

He comes closest in one of his Extra Punctuation columns, wherein he proclaims neutrality and says he tries to keep a distance from the whole thing because he doesn't care for the drama surrounding it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cubey posted:

I was cautiously optimistic before the second Abrams Star Trek movie. Into Darkness was so lovely, however, that it really dulled any optimism I had.

It can't possibly be anywhere near as bad as the prequels, but I dunno. Maybe I've just outgrown Star Wars or some poo poo, but I cannot even force myself to look forward to it.

Wasn't it more on the writers making JJTrek 2 awful than Abrams himself?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tracula posted:

Wasn't it more on the writers making JJTrek 2 awful than Abrams himself?

It was a Kurtzman and Orci script, the guys also responsible for the Transformers movie scripts and the Amazing Spiderman Series. Abrams is a good director, but he gets saddled with bad writers and his own writing is mediocre at best. That's why I'm cautiously optimistic for Episode 7. While Abrams co-wrote it, I'm hoping that Lawrence Kasdan (Empire Strikes Back and Co-EP7 Writer) slapped the pencil out of Abrams's hand whenever he wrote something stupid.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Any of yoos intae that Jim Trinca?

Here he is as Detective Inspector Tam McGleish getting fired intae Duck Tales and Flashback. He works for Videogamer.com now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th7Mx2B4sXg

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I loved Star Trek Into Darkness and thought it pantsed Trek09 despite its messy script. :shrug:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Spock really should be jumping around on flying cars like an action hero in order to punch the bad guy while screaming lots. That's who Spock is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DStecks posted:

I loved Star Trek Into Darkness and thought it pantsed Trek09 despite its messy script. :shrug:

We must get a sample of Khan's blood and not one from the 72 people we have readily available!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We must get a sample of Khan's blood and not one from the 72 people we have readily available!

DStecks posted:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Allow me to set the scene for you:

Orci: gently caress me, the script's due tomorrow morning! We need to figure out how to heal Kirk.

Kurtzman: Ah poo poo man, leave me the gently caress alone. I'm trying to watch True Blood.

Orci: Hmm... {shits out the rest of the script}. Done.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
What got me about Into Darkness was the overall sense of hubris. It was like watching an artist painting the Mona Lisa right next to the original and declaring his version to be equal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The movie as a whole would have been improved if one of the 72 other people were the ubermench running around while Khan continues to sleep. Torpedoes full of genetic supermen and you insist on going with the one guy specified as Indian for your most English of English actor to play.

Though you could sort of half argue from a drunken stupor that they needed Khan's blood because the other blood was frozen and they needed unfrozen blood. Ignoring all the super science tech and transporters and stuff.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Benny the Snake posted:

What got me about Into Darkness was the overall sense of hubris. It was like watching an artist painting the Mona Lisa right next to the original and declaring his version to be equal.

That's what bothered me in a way too. Can we just do something loving new and not rehash old ideas or pseudo-remake classics? Part of me feels that when/if there's a third JJtrek film they're gonna somehow cram the Borg into it because of brand recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Gyges posted:

The movie as a whole would have been improved if...

... they'd written an original plot that wasn't a dumbed-down action movie grafted onto a Star Trek film with a hot-solder slurry of melted nostalgia and fanservice?

• Locked thread