Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oracle was announced as part of the Titans TV show, so they won't be having Felicity in that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Aphrodite posted:

Oracle was announced as part of the Titans TV show, so they won't be having Felicity in that role.

Or could they RIP in peace, Felicity's spine :(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aphrodite posted:

Perhaps. My thinking is that it's more likely DC would allow a brand "new" character like Felicity to become Oracle, especially in a show that already featured Black Canary and Huntress, than to let Barbara Gordon have the role again. But I suppose we'll see.

Mostly I just want Felicity to be interesting again instead of constantly pining for Oliver or dispensing fortune cookie advice to his team.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Guggenheim discusses ATOM

Personally hoping that Ray busts out the suit and gets his rear end kicked on the first night out. If anything it'd be funny as hell for a guy with a (possibly) multimillion dollar exosuit to get his rear end kicked.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Bad Moon posted:

Uhhhh didn't he cheat on Laurel and have a one night stand with his baby momma this producing said baby?

Yeah. That guy gets around. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the real dad to half the kids in the town including Diggle's daughter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Perhaps. My thinking is that it's more likely DC would allow a brand "new" character like Felicity to become Oracle, especially in a show that already featured Black Canary and Huntress, than to let Barbara Gordon have the role again. But I suppose we'll see.

Mostly I just want Felicity to be interesting again instead of constantly pining for Oliver or dispensing fortune cookie advice to his team.

The Titans show isn't by the Arrow people, and it's already confirmed to be Barbara.

Making Felicity Oracle would also be an enormously stupid idea because Oracle is a big deal to fans with disabilities. DC already stupidly made her Batgirl again once.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
I've said it before, I'll say it again: David Ramsey has made the character of Diggle into something that resonates so much that they wrote him into comic canon. Doing a handwave retcon to make him John Stewart would be a step back, and would also totally loving disrespect all the choices that he and the writers have made into breathing life into Diggle as we know him. Give him powers or not, I really don't care. He's interesting either way. But don't throw 3 seasons worth of character development under the bus by shoehorning him into another pre-existing identity. Black Driver deserves better than that, god drat it.

Senerio posted:

I also preferred Gabel to Stormare as Vertigo. Gabel earned my eternal loyalty by approving my high, ipso facto Gabel.

:respek:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The Titans show isn't by the Arrow people, and it's already confirmed to be Barbara.

Making Felicity Oracle would also be an enormously stupid idea because Oracle is a big deal to fans with disabilities. DC already stupidly made her Batgirl again once.
If they make Felicity Oracle, obviously she would be in a wheelchair.

What does the show not being made by the Arrow people have to do with anything? Both shows are ultimately licensed by DC Entertainment. You know this.

In any case, the only confirmation is still the Nerdist article describing the pilot, and even back then I'd asked if that site was a reliable source of TV news. No one gave any answers. And even then, pilots are subject to change at any point anyway, so considering the fuss they made to un-Oracle Barbara, I'll believe the casting when I see it.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crunk Abortion posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: David Ramsey has made the character of Diggle into something that resonates so much that they wrote him into comic canon. Doing a handwave retcon to make him John Stewart would be a step back, and would also totally loving disrespect all the choices that he and the writers have made into breathing life into Diggle as we know him. Give him powers or not, I really don't care. He's interesting either way. But don't throw 3 seasons worth of character development under the bus by shoehorning him into another pre-existing identity. Black Driver deserves better than that, god drat it.

:respek:
____________________________/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

If they make Felicity Oracle, obviously she would be in a wheelchair.

What does the show not being made by the Arrow people have to do with anything? Both shows are ultimately licensed by DC Entertainment. You know this.

Felicity will not crossover with a separate production crew's show, and DC will not have 2 different Oracles at once on TV.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Crunk Abortion posted:

I think he's done such a great job on the show that it's reasonable to want him to have a bigger role. If retconning him into John Stewart is the way to do that, and we get a kickass Green Lantern that we know is played by a capable guy, then it's all good. It'd be less shoehorning him into an existing identity than giving us a new take with plenty of established background on a character that has only seen one appearance outside of the comics (JL cartoon). Not like he's going to suddenly start acting differently or have his character change entirely just because he gets a green ring.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Felicity will not crossover with a separate production crew's show, and DC will not have 2 different Oracles at once on TV.
:confused: I haven't suggested either of those things. I'm saying it's unlikely that Barbara Gordon will be Oracle in the TNT Titans show at all considering that our only source for the news is a low-rep website reporting on a "leaked" "script" for a pilot that's months away from pre-production at the very best and subject to change even if accurate. Impossible, no. Unlikely, yes. This is the case whether anyone has any similar plans for Felicity or not.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Aphrodite posted:

I just saw on Facebook they announced some Funco Pop vinyl figures for the show. Ollie, Slade, Sara (you can tell because her costume shows her chest and Laurel's doesn't) and hoodless Ollie.

Great, now I have to buy one of those stupid things.

Oliver also had a decent relationship with that cop in season 1

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Did that cop die in a fight?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No, moved to another town. Got injured in a fight by Huntress and decided Starling was to dangerous.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Crunk Abortion posted:

This is a good argument for not making him into JS/GL. At the same time, I feel like Diggle represents so many of the ideal GL values, that perhaps he could become his own GL pretty organically, without becoming John Stewart to do it. I don't really have a preference for which direction they take him, but what I do know is I would like to see him spend more time in the field, and less starring over Felicity's shoulder as Team Arrow's project manager.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The thing is that so many of the comics characters were changed so drastically for the show in so many ways (I mean, Dinah -> Laurel is the gobsmacked extreme example, but even comics Oliver -> show Oliver was pretty drastic) that Stewart -> Diggle would've been a comparatively mild, subtle adaptation if had turned out to be the case. He's more like John Stewart than Oliver is like himself.

Of course, it's a moot point now that it's been debunked...

...for now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

greatn posted:

No, moved to another town. Got injured in a fight by Huntress and decided Starling was to dangerous.

Smartest thing a cop in Starling ever did.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My wife spent the whole episode yelling at Laurel given she gets he rear end kicked and is a danger too everyone around her due to her limited training. Roy even had to train for 7 months before Oliver let him go bit he's cool with Laurel.

Also the fact the Det. lance hasn't said in public Oliver is the Arrow makers him dumb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sbaldrick posted:

My wife spent the whole episode yelling at Laurel given she gets he rear end kicked and is a danger too everyone around her due to her limited training. Roy even had to train for 7 months before Oliver let him go bit he's cool with Laurel.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when Ollie asks Laurel to come with him because he can't find Roy, and the whole time they're fighting the bad guys, Diggle is back at the Arrow Cave just standing uselessly around next to Felicity (who I thought quit last week!).

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Totally unrelated, but does anyone else think Willa Holland would be absolutely perfectly cast in a Buffy reboot?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Crunk Abortion posted:

Totally unrelated, but does anyone else think Willa Holland would be absolutely perfectly cast in a Buffy reboot?

Only if Giles is played by Paul Reuben

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jerusalem posted:

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when Ollie asks Laurel to come with him because he can't find Roy, and the whole time they're fighting the bad guys, Diggle is back at the Arrow Cave just standing uselessly around next to Felicity (who I thought quit last week!).

Diggle did say he didn't want to do field work because of his daughter as much anymore so I can accept that

While Laurel is only about the common street this as a fighter, Felicity ranks last sadly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Only if Giles is played by Paul Reuben

That's a weird way to spell Alan Cumming.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

sbaldrick posted:

Diggle did say he didn't want to do field work because of his daughter as much anymore so I can accept that

Hm, yeah, there was that...

All the more reason to put on a mask and suit the gently caress up!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess I'm in the minority in not wanting Diggle or Felicity to suit up or adopt secret identities. It seems totally unnecessary to me. They're established characters in their own right and the fact that they're not masked vigilantes basically sets them apart. Diggle is a family man who has stated he doesn't want to be risking his life nightly and he's also a soldier with ties to Argus that come up semi-regularly. Felicity has her skill set and invaluable role with the team and I don't see what you'd accomplish by naming her "Oracle" other than appeasing a few comic geeks (while almost certainly pissing off a bunch of comic geeks).

I'm good with them as they are. Could they use some more story? Sure, maybe. But you don't need to give them a mask and morph them into an established comic character to do that. That seems like a weird crutch comic fans fall into. Someone could just be a good character created by the show.

Besides I'm still completely convinced Thea is going to become Speedy so Team Arrow will have enough masked members in the field. That basement is getting crowded and there's not that much room for glass cases.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I don't want Diggle to get a secret ID or a costume, but it feels like he should have some manner of outfit/mask for missions. Maybe some cool-infrared goggles
that help for long-range shooting but they also hide his secret ID?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Does he really need to hide his secret identity? He's rarely out there and its not like he's a famous ex-billionaire who was presumed dead for five years. Or he's not hanging out with his detective father pretending he's not actually himself. He just occasionally grabs a gun and shoots and some random criminals. He's not out there enough to really worry about someone recognizing him, I think.

And I'd possibly argue that the second he puts on a costume then he becomes a topic of conversation and mystery like The Arrow, The Canary, and Arsenal (or the guy in red who isn't the Flash). As long as he's just some dude with a gun he probably gets easily forgotten amidst all the craziness of masked super heroes. After all, there's a bunch of dudes shooting at each other. There's only a couple of freaks with masks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think that's logical if you're just going around busting down regular mooks who you'll probably never see again, but not up against the influential psychopaths like Vertigo or Brick who would like nothing more than to find out every detail of your lives and hold all your family members hostage.

And that's just the bad guys. What if non-Lance cops see Diggle running around with a sidearm shooting guys without a badge? They'd be obligated to arrest him or worse. I mean, Waller and Argus would probably pull rank in that case, but why should she have to?

And then there's the issue that if enough people know Diggle is running around with the Arrow, Arsenal, Canary, Flash, ATOM, etc and so forth, they'll be able to figure out those guys' identities.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but again I think that goes back to him not really being out there that much. If he was out there every night than maybe he should get a mask but since he just kind of hangs back in the basement (the very complaint many people seem to have about how he's used) and only goes out there when there's an emergency then it seems ok. Plus I feel like the odds of a random criminal, even one like Vertigo or Brick, recognizing him even if they do see his face seem kind of slim. The bigger concern would seem to be people starting to talk about "Black Driver" and looking for him and taking pictures and stuff. You know? If someone TRIED to find out who "Black Driver" was then he might be in trouble or his family might be risk (even though, you know, his wife is an Argus agent so Waller will just kill the guy) but as long as he's not "Black Driver" he's just not someone you notice or care about.

What I'm really saying is that Diggle is a big black dude with a gun. Casual racism is his secret identity.

I mean, even this thread confuses him with another random black dude with the same first name.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Crunk Abortion posted:

Yeah, the first few episodes of Arrow, I kept having that nagging feeling of "who does she remind me of?" Not that I ever want to see a Buffy reboot, but Willa's definitely got some moments/mannerisms that are freaky reminiscent of Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Diggle is also a semi-active member of ARGUS (and will be fully in the future), I don't think hiding his identity is a big deal.

Also because I want to rip on Laurel more, here's my crazy nerd list of fighters of the Arrowverse.
1)Ra
2)Merlyn, Nyssa, Yao Fei
2b)Oliver and Slade. Both could be better but Oliver won't kill anymore (and mentally may not be able too even if he says so) and Slade hasn't fought anyone without his superpowers in 6 years.
3)Sara, Other high-ranking League members, Digger, Sando
4)Diggle, Other high-ranking ARGUS agents, general League members
5)Roy, Thea, Ted Grant to be nice.
6)Laurel, common street thugs
7)Felicity

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Where would Barry fit in?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He's probably like a 5.5 on that list, but the goes fast lets him fight way out of his league.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Plus I feel like the odds of a random criminal, even one like Vertigo or Brick, recognizing him even if they do see his face seem kind of slim.
All it takes is a vaguely clear camera or video shot. Felicity's not the only one who ever uses technology.

The thing is, dedicated bad guys don't have to want to know who this random black guy is. All they have to want to know is the Arrow's identity, and the easiest way is through his associates. Unless Diggle is so utterly, cleverly discreet whenever he goes out and shoots people that the criminal underworld literally does not know that the Arrow and Arsenal have another accomplice (and this seems unlikely considering that Brick flat-out fought him face to face and even exchanged repartee with Diggle), the fact is that he doesn't have to have a dedicated crimefighting identity for his association with Ollie to be a big liability.

I mean...that being said, obviously the fact is that it'll only be a big liability if the story wants it to be a big liability. Otherwise the narrative will just go on handwaving and ignoring it as it has done to this point. Doesn't mean that we the audience can't recognize that Diggle not hiding his identity isn't a very practical or realistic thing.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Whizbang posted:

He's probably like a 5.5 on that list, but the goes fast lets him fight way out of his league.

Let's be real, he's like an 8. But he moves so fast he should be above Ras

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I feel like that list overstates Nyssa and especially Yao Fei's skills. I feel like Nyssa is more or less on the same level as Ollie (maybe Sara, actually), and Yao Fei is on the same level as an Elite League member at most.

Wezlar posted:

Nah, Ra's would probably trip and kill Barry in a single motion. In the crossover event, Ollie managed to beat Barry in a fight (granted Barry wasn't in his right mind at the time), and Ra's made Ollie look like a rookie.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Wezlar posted:

Come on, he's not this bad:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I dunno. Remember that some guy beat him up with Iris' laptop in the first episode. Laurel's got a ways to go, but she's (probably) way beyond being beaten up by a laptop at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Diggle isn't a good fighter. That's why he carries a gun.

• Locked thread