Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

De Nomolos posted:

Polls said the same thing this early about O in 2012. Basically, the D vote has already coalesced and all the undecideds are Republicans who claim they want to "wait and see" but are just gonna vote for the white guy Republican no matter what.

Do you have anything to demonstrate that this is true? Totally willing to believe you, but it's very counter-intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Obdicut posted:

Do you have anything to demonstrate that this is true? Totally willing to believe you, but it's very counter-intuitive.

NBC/Marist, South Carolina, December 2011

Obama 45
Romney 42

(Obama ended up getting 44% in SC, so it was entirely a question of the Republican vote choosing "undecided" instead of Romney)

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

computer parts posted:

One point does not make a trend.

Yes except this is part of a continuing trend in a decline of voter participation, and saying 2014's results are meaningless completely discounts the idea that other factors could have influenced the results in a way that could affect future elections such as the sudden inrush of voter ID laws or the Dems having trouble pushing things that get their base enthusiastic.

I'm not saying a women voter split of 51D/47R is the new normal especially with Hillary likely on the ballot but for Democrats to assume that 2014 happened in a vacuum and not study possible causes for it would be really irresponsible on their part. The election after your core constituencies failed to turn out is a really bad time to take their votes for granted.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Yes except this is part of a continuing trend in a decline of voter participation

I see a consistent trend.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

It's important to notice that much of the high turnout of the 19th century traces to things like only wealthy white men being able to vote, and that the low turnout at the end of the 18th and beginning of 19th has to do with the fact that there was simply no popular vote for president in most states for quite some time, nor were there popular votes for senators.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, if the parties were still offering free beer for your vote at the polls, I bet we'd get that turnout back up.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Also, if the parties were still offering free beer for your vote at the polls, I bet we'd get that turnout back up.

Damnit, Joe, why is this illegal?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
How do you think the Reps will try to define Hillary in the general?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bpower posted:

She's an out of control ambition elemental who will say or do anything to get elected.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

bpower posted:

"BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI!"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alkydere posted:

"BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI!"

I won't say you're wrong, I will say that I think there will be more, 'OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!' than there is Failghazigateistan.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ewe2 posted:

How significant is the Hispanic vote to the primaries now? Is Rubio representative enough, and/or the Republicans clueless on how to appeal to that demographic? Are the Democrats much better? Is my intuition that they are and the Republicans useless good enough or is it more complicated?

It is pretty much meaningless in IA, NH and SC and incredibly important in Nevada. After that who gives a gently caress.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

bpower posted:

Well, y'know, you don't want to give power over the button to someone who gets so emotional in, y'know, "that time of the month." :smug:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JonathonSpectre posted:

Well, y'know, you don't want to give power over the button to someone who gets so emotional in, y'know, "that time of the month." :smug:

It's 3 AM. The phone rings at the white house. The Russians have deployed tactical nuclear weapons against the Ukranian forces.

Do you trust Hillary to man up and take decisive action to prevent nuclear war? Vote Bush '16, a man who can look Putin in the eyes and see the soul of a communist.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Obdicut posted:

Its historically proven to be the case when one side has its field all sown up and the other has a competitive primary. For instance the only time where McCain was polling anywhere near Obama was after he had won his nomination fight but Hillary still had a shot at beating Obama. There's tons of keep lower level examples of this being true too, including a few where the primary occurs so late that the competitive primary winner is unable to reconnect with his primary opponent's supporters before the general election.

Keep in mind too that Hillary Clinton is basically a known quantity while the Republicans aren't. For instance I made a Scott Walker reference at work the other day (we were visited by Trek representatives and I was coming up with ways to piss them off) and one of the guys I was talking to did not know who he was. At this point for Jeb Bush the poll results were probably more akin to finding the answer to "do you want W to come back?" than what it was actually asking.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's going to be incoherent screaming and misogyny all the way down. They'll be bouncing between "Benghazi!" "Obama!" "DemocratDEMONRAT" and "TIME OF MONTH" and anything else that comes up on the desperate hope that something they say will stick outside of their base.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

I'm sure they will have no problem ultimately winning the state in the general election, but that kind of number is a pretty lovely indicator of how the general election will go, and it suggests she will likely win important states like VA pretty easily.

Nah it's an indicator nobody in SC knows who the lower tier GOP candidates are. Polls this far out are just checking name recognition.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

bpower posted:

Anyone but Jeb and it will be "the OLD politics of Washinton don't work any more, elect a new (YOUNG) face instead of the same old (OLD) Washington name that's been around forever (SHE'S OLD)"

A direct attack won't work though and will just alienate a lot of women and elderly voters.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, I give you this--I'd be willing to vote to send Bill back to the white house, and that desire trumps my disdain for all things Hillary.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I think it's pretty obvious that they will suggest Obama's policies didn't work but over the last 2 years while they've been in control of Congress look at how well the country is doing and we'd all be doing better with a Republican in office and not someone who will continue Obama's legacy (e.g. Hillary) of preventing Republicans from getting things done.

I'm most interested in seeing where things fall with respect to PPACA during the primaries, because that poo poo will translate into the general election platform for Republicans. Will repeal be a winnable platform in 2016?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The ACA is an entirely predictable and boring issue in 2016. Every Republican will be against it and run on a platform of repealing it fully. A few of them might come out with their own plans. Look for this to be a thin proposal to protect people with preexisting conditions and introduce tort reform and not so much on the whole "how we're going to pay for this" part.

Hillary will run on a platform of expansion and improvement of the existing law, again, without many details.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

The ACA is an entirely predictable and boring issue in 2016. Every Republican will be against it and run on a platform of repealing it fully. A few of them might come out with their own plans. Look for this to be a thin proposal to protect people with preexisting conditions and introduce tort reform and not so much on the whole "how we're going to pay for this" part.

Hillary will run on a platform of expansion and improvement of the existing law, again, without many details.

Right, Hillary will run on a pro-Obama campaign while everyone else runs on an anti-Obama campaign. No way this could fail for her at all, nosiree.

Jeb '16: Surrender yourself and face the carnage

alternatively, Biden '16: Save us Joe, you're our only hope

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

bpower posted:

How many ways can you say "shrill harpy" or "castrating bitch" without actually using those words?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Right, Hillary will run on a pro-Obama campaign while everyone else runs on an anti-Obama campaign. No way this could fail for her at all, nosiree.

IDK, man, there was a guy who was pretty pro-Obama and he won the last two presidential elections pretty well?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

computer parts posted:

Out of curiosity, when did women get the vote on that chart?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Macys posted:

Out of curiosity, when did women get the vote on that chart?

1920 was the first election year women could vote.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's kind of a mystery why Hillary Clinton (D) has taken up a position so different from that of Jeb Bush (R), Chris Christie (R), Rand Paul (R), Scott Walker (R) and Mike Huckabee (R).

Is only there were some kind of differentiating factor that could explain this discrepancy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"It's snowin'. It's cold. But ahm fahred up." ~ Rick Perry, in New Hampshire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxbtpRhdwjs

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

How many ways can you say "shrill harpy" or "castrating bitch" without actually using those words?

Castration tests pretty well in Iowa, iirc.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Joementum posted:

"It's snowin'. It's cold. But ahm fahred up." ~ Rick Perry, in New Hampshire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxbtpRhdwjs

"Live free or die. Amen." ~ Rick Perry, as I roll my eyes hard enough to permanently affect my vision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxbtpRhdwjs&t=24s

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

IDK, man, there was a guy who was pretty pro-Obama and he won the last two presidential elections pretty well?

Oh, really? Is this dude running for a third term, while the party base runs as far away from him as they can?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Are you proposing that Hillary Clinton will run pro-Obama while Vice President Joseph "Literally Obama's Vice President" Biden won't?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ZeeToo posted:

Are you proposing that Hillary Clinton will run pro-Obama while Vice President Joseph "Literally Obama's Vice President" Biden won't?

Worked for Gore! Oh wait never mind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Oh, really? Is this dude running for a third term, while the party base runs as far away from him as they can?
The party base is running away from him? My impression is that by and large they are on board with the outlines of B-Rock's Islamic Shocks, if different on implementations.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

The party base is running away from him? My impression is that by and large they are on board with the outlines of B-Rock's Islamic Shocks, if different on implementations.

No, but see, a bunch of Congresspeople up for re-election in deep red areas tried to distance themselves from him and all lost so what they think doesn't matter anymore, therefore he's toxic and the whole party hates him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Lindsay Graham train is leaving the station and it's time to hop on board - you don't want to be left behind!

I do declare this to be the finest mint julep car I have ever seen

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
If graham handed out mint juleps at campaign stops he'd probably do better than he's actually going to.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

My Imaginary GF posted:

More like My Imaginary Talking Points

SLAM JAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Daduzi posted:

It's kind of a mystery why Hillary Clinton (D) has taken up a position so different from that of Jeb Bush (R), Chris Christie (R), Rand Paul (R), Scott Walker (R) and Mike Huckabee (R).

Is only there were some kind of differentiating factor that could explain this discrepancy.

Women's issues. Barack is playing dirty by having Oprah shill for him. Hillary never stood a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's really not a bad plan if turnout doesn't suck.

• Locked thread