Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Actual question, I'm told from the video in the op that 80% of bowgun usage is knowing where and what monster weaknesses are. Is that knowable in game besides through experimentation or am I gonna need to FAQ it up?

Shoot it until it dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Actual question, I'm told from the video in the op that 80% of bowgun usage is knowing where and what monster weaknesses are. Is that knowable in game besides through experimentation or am I gonna need to FAQ it up?

Most monsters are fairly weak to shot damage on their heads, barring a handful of exceptions like the metal 'los subspecies and whatnot. You can do it through trial and error in-game but if I'm not sure I just pull up the wiki and take a look at the damage chart. Generally if you're not reduced to Normal 1 by the end of the fight you're doing something right.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For elemental weaknesses, the best way to tell in-game is by looking at its armor and seeing what kinds of weaknesses you'd get from putting it on. Otherwise, yeah FAQs.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
in what way is the charge blade not the best thing

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

muike posted:

in what way is the charge blade not the best thing

It is lacking on demand explosions. Gunlance is the best.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
How do you upgrade Meat at the kitchen? All my other ingredients are at 1 or 2 stars, but meat is still at base level. I found some guide that said it was a HR2 quest for popo tongues, but I don't seem to have it. Is that the right quest and if-so, what's the pre-requisite?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Charge blade seems really fun and cool but idk its not nearly as satisfying as running around with a gigantic fuckoff sword that cuts off tails in one fell swoop

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

jymbojones posted:

How do you upgrade Meat at the kitchen? All my other ingredients are at 1 or 2 stars, but meat is still at base level. I found some guide that said it was a HR2 quest for popo tongues, but I don't seem to have it. Is that the right quest and if-so, what's the pre-requisite?

It's a guildhall/online quest

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Charge blade seems really fun and cool but idk its not nearly as satisfying as running around with a gigantic fuckoff sword that cuts off tails in one fell swoop

I've decided that running around with the biggest gun you can't possibly carry is the only correct way to hunt monsters. Fairness be damned. :colbert:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Basically every weapon is the best weapon

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

Teddles posted:

It's a guildhall/online quest

Yeah but which one/ how do I unlock it? I'm HR2 online.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still think the Insect Glaive is the best thing. Mounting on demand means I can't go back to anything else.

And the charged up insect shot is hilarious. Really everything about it is great.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I dunno, I'm starting to fall out of love with the insect glaive. It's flashy and cool, but it doesn't feel like the kinsect/glaive relationship is handled very well. Granted, I'm not sure how you'd improve it, but I'm unimaginative.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
Holy hell, Gypceros is like Purple Ludroth and Qurupeco's annoying love child. >:( At least its armor is super easy to make.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Colapops posted:

I dunno, I'm starting to fall out of love with the insect glaive. It's flashy and cool, but it doesn't feel like the kinsect/glaive relationship is handled very well. Granted, I'm not sure how you'd improve it, but I'm unimaginative.

Yea I loved the glave in the demo but...I'm not feelin it now. Maybe it's because I'm still real low (I got stomped on the first urgent quest so now I'm doing some farming to, ya know, get armor and junk for a change) but the bug just feels really random and the glave...I dunno if I want fast slashing damage and fast movement, why would I not just go Dual Blades? The only thing I'm missing going that way is the vault which I'll admit is really nice but there's so much climbing and jumping points in most maps it's hard to see that as a must.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I really wanted to love the glaive, but I felt like it was too fussy for the way I play. I'm not exactly a button-masher, but the aiming the bug then charging up and blah blah stuff just felt like it was a lot more work than I want to do when I'm trying not to be squashed by a monkster.

On the other hand, I love the hunting horn, so maybe I just need to play the glaive a bunch more and get used to it like I've done with the horn.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I've decided that running around with the biggest gun you can't possibly carry is the only correct way to hunt monsters. Fairness be damned. :colbert:

My current go-to gun is covered in bright pink Congalala fur and I love every second of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What do I gotta do to get different Insect Glaives? I can forge an assortment of all other weapons, but the only option of Insect Glaive is the staring Bone Club.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Maybe a dumb question -- can you do expedition quests with others, or is it just guild quests?

Zaras
Mar 11, 2013

Okay.

Internet Friend posted:

Are you using pitfall traps? Because they put them right there for you to bust.

Yeah, eventually I changed from insect glaive to hammer and trap/pounded the poo poo out of his face.

Detective No. 27 posted:

What do I gotta do to get different Insect Glaives? I can forge an assortment of all other weapons, but the only option of Insect Glaive is the staring Bone Club.

There seem to be very few LR Glaives for whatever reason, I just got into High Rank offline and I still only have three glaives I can really craft.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I loved the glave in the demo but...I'm not feelin it now. Maybe it's because I'm still real low (I got stomped on the first urgent quest so now I'm doing some farming to, ya know, get armor and junk for a change) but the bug just feels really random and the glave...I dunno if I want fast slashing damage and fast movement, why would I not just go Dual Blades? The only thing I'm missing going that way is the vault which I'll admit is really nice but there's so much climbing and jumping points in most maps it's hard to see that as a must.

With the three part buff (and to a lesser extent the red white buff) it looks like you out damage the dual swords. Also never not front vault/ back vault over every tell you see.

E: marking is lackluster/ useless. Use unsheathed send as well.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I actually can't beat the Gypceros

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wozbo posted:

With the three part buff (and to a lesser extent the red white buff) it looks like you out damage the dual swords. Also never not front vault/ back vault over every tell you see.

E: marking is lackluster/ useless. Use unsheathed send as well.

Yea I don't HATE it, just need to learn to use it better than I did in the demo I suppose.

Also speaking of bugs, I totally forgot how I'm supposed to get carves off those tiny bugs that explode when you hit them? I need one of their stomachs to make my sweet rear end bug machine gun.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Do I need to get the circle pad pro for this game or would I be fine without it?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also speaking of bugs, I totally forgot how I'm supposed to get carves off those tiny bugs that explode when you hit them? I need one of their stomachs to make my sweet rear end bug machine gun.

Poison them.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I don't HATE it, just need to learn to use it better than I did in the demo I suppose.

Either you kill them and there's a small chance they don't explode into a million pieces. Or you use a poison smoke bomb. If the poison kills them it will be a 100% chance for a carve.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

ambushsabre posted:

He's nowhere near as hard as he was in the first Monster Hunter game. In that quest, 3 Bullfango were in every zone the Gypceros was. You could barely move one step without being knocked flying across the map.

I love Gypceros now that I can actually beat him. He's so goofy and his playing dead gimmick is great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mr E posted:

Do I need to get the circle pad pro for this game or would I be fine without it?

It's nice to be able to look around the environment at will, but I wouldn't call it crucial with monster camera lock. You'll just be pushing L a lot to retrain the camera. There are a couple of monsters so far where it's definitely come in handy, but there's always the virtual D-pad for that.

Celery Face posted:

I love Gypceros now that I can actually beat him. He's so goofy and his playing dead gimmick is great.

I spoiled that for myself thanks to this thread :-( Even still, I knew something was up, but I bet I still would've fell for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Every weapon is the best weapon, but you should use the one whose gimmick you can best take advantage of.

If you're using great sword, you need to land charge attacks. If you're using LS, you need to build up your charge to yellow or red levels. If you're using insect glaive, you need to maintain red color. If you're using bowgun you need to attack the right area / use the right ammo. Etc. Etc.

Failure to do so doesn't mean you're terrabad, but it means you're not taking the full advantage of that weapon, you could be doing more. Use whatever you can pull off the special condition for best.

I'm sad I haven't seen anybody using Hunting Horn yet online. My friends and I pretty much broke 3U by having one guy play the stamina song over and over while the other 3 of us unloaded dual sword special attacks for crazy damage.

Mr E posted:

I think this is actually the best 3D game for playability without the CPP. The on-screen d-pad works surprisingly well. Combine that with the lock-on feature and the fact that there's no more underwater fighting means its just fine. :thumbsup:

CPP is a nice to have, same with the new 3DS nub. But its very playable without. (Bowgun may be an exception, I don't play bowgun so I have no idea)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Are there 2 damage points for the jaw of the Tetsucabra? I'm trying to get some tusks but I can only manage to break one side of the jaw before it dies. Can I just wallop on the already broken side or do you have to specifically aim for the other part?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Are there 2 damage points for the jaw of the Tetsucabra? I'm trying to get some tusks but I can only manage to break one side of the jaw before it dies. Can I just wallop on the already broken side or do you have to specifically aim for the other part?

I can confirm I've broken both jaw tusks for Tetsucabra. I think you have to specifically hit each, but I'm not sure. It may just be total facial damage.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are you guys who're getting hit by Gypceros' gimmick not playing single player first? Because his intro cinematic gives it away. :v:

Finally to the point where I'm going after Gore. I think it was a mistake adding him to the demo, because I know everything he does and he's absolutely not threatening anymore. He's big and fast and loud, but I can slap him out of the air and break his parts super fast.

The few bits of him I've picked up along the way have opened a couple weapons to me. The Long Sword needs a Plate and that is not okay!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I remember ages ago when it was just out in japan hearing that you could unsheath the glaive into a vault, but I just haven't been able to using any combination of buttons, was this just bad info? Because it would be super useful.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I used switch axe during p3rd and 3u. Used gunlance in mhfu. Not sure what to use now. Been using the switch axe so far and it's decent, I love the new moves, but I'm not sure if I should try out something new, like chargeblade or greatsword. I'd go hammer but my Monhun bro is already a hammer user and being able to cut tails is kind of important imo. Is greatsword still only worth using with the unsheath charge3?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
mini Dah'ren Mohran guide

His back has three zones; for the purposes of the guide I'm going to call them back/middle/front. When you start the quest you can almost immediately mount his fin to access the largest back area, which has three mining nodes. The ridge separating the back area and middle area can be partially broken. Once you do this defenestrate yourself back onto the ship.

From the ship you can access three break points: his left and right fin, and his tusk. Use cannonballs/ballista shots/weapons with long reach to break the fins. Once you break the fins the mount point changes so you can access the middle section of Dahren. This section has 0-1 mining nodes and two break points, a hole that he uses to shoot spikes at your ship (this can disable the Hunting Gong and maybe the Cannon Ammo node) and after that the ridge separating the middle and front portions of Dah'ren. This ridge has a LOT of HP so it's likely you won't be able to break it in the first phase of the battle. His tusk can be broken with ballista shots.

When you enter the final showdown, let Dah'ren wander closer to your ship a bit before engaging him. If you kill him before he fully enters the area, you'll miss out on half his carves. In this phase, his fins are the main points of damage you focus on; whenever you get a "break" on the fins they become mountable again and you can start damaging the front ridge again. When you break it you gain access to 1~2 mining points (there are a total of 5 overall I think), one of which is a rare node. You can also Hunting Gong him when he gets close and is about to attack; when this happens he flips over and you can enter his mouth for two carves. After you kill him there are two carving points in the back and front that give four carves each. You MUST crouch carve in order to max out on carves, otherwise you'll run out of time.

TL;DR an ideal run would be:
Phase 1: mine back points -> break back ridge -> break fins -> mine middle point -> break spike -> break tusk (when he's not in range to be mountable) -> work on breaking middle ridge
Phase 2: damage fins -> break middle ridge -> hunting gong -> 2x mouth carve -> kill -> 4x front carve -> 4x back carve

this poo poo is a lot less complicated than it sounds; my group figured it out by trial and error.

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 15, 2015

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

AndroidHub posted:

I remember ages ago when it was just out in japan hearing that you could unsheath the glaive into a vault, but I just haven't been able to using any combination of buttons, was this just bad info? Because it would be super useful.

You can't. The only 2 unsheath attacks it has is the default one (A with the glaive out) and throwing the bug into an unsheath (R+X+A while sheathed).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Maleh-Vor posted:

I used switch axe during p3rd and 3u. Used gunlance in mhfu. Not sure what to use now. Been using the switch axe so far and it's decent, I love the new moves, but I'm not sure if I should try out something new, like chargeblade or greatsword. I'd go hammer but my Monhun bro is already a hammer user and being able to cut tails is kind of important imo. Is greatsword still only worth using with the unsheath charge3?

I've been soloing Low rank without critical draw or any draw skills at all. I've had no issues what so ever cutting off tails and keeping the DPS up.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Didn't realize there was no loving underwater combat, gonna pick up the game later today then.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mr E posted:

Didn't realize there was no loving underwater combat, gonna pick up the game later today then.

Welcome to the future. Verticality is hopefully here to stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Detective No. 27 posted:

the first new one I have been able to make is nerscylla's. it's poison and the base damage is higher than the upgraded starter staff :)

ambushsabre posted:

which attacks seem to be killing you the most

• Locked thread