Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Some screenshot game I found on reddit for content:

edit: here's the cheatsheet for the coal-industry stuff: http://www.simpeg.com/forum/index.php?topic=10358.msg207986#msg207986

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The first one is absolutely stunning and I wish I had that kind of level of industrial zoning lots/brushes. I just can't get over the awful, awful hill airport in the second screenshot though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

The first one is absolutely stunning and I wish I had that kind of level of industrial zoning lots/brushes. I just can't get over the awful, awful hill airport in the second screenshot though.

:eyepop:

Here's more from the dude with the cole mine:

(HOLY poo poo)

The rest of his CJ: http://www.simpeg.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=67dad3a742c59354c2ae292ee35d06b9&topic=7498.0

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

That waterfall and coal mine are awesome.

Poizen Jam posted:

I just can't get over the awful, awful hill airport in the second screenshot though.

An awful hill airport that launches the planes directly into the downtown skyscrapers. How unrealistic :spergin:

Maybe it's actually an Al-Qaeda training center, not a normal airport.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Paeng's CJ is just like one of the best online.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Do any of these city journals actually feature viable cities? Because my experience with even the biggest swathes of suburbia is that they barely break even — and that's after I set the equivalent of a $30 gas tax on road usage (it's in the NAM settings). If you remove that, then even providing only power and water, and letting your citizens stay stupid and die young, there's no way in hell any of the more rural cities are actually making money.

(Unless of course, I'm the fool for thinking this is SimCity 4 and not ScreenCapture 4?)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Functional and profitable small cities are absolutely possible as long as you offload their services and amenities to the larger centers like one should and only buy what you need.

Kind of like real life- small towns and rural communities survive by sucking the teat of their city overlords. And farms.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009
Hey Tusen Takk, thanks for all your work compiling the mac pack - it seems way more stable than my clusterfuck of mods I was using before. I did find another box though:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

pmMike posted:

Hey Tusen Takk, thanks for all your work compiling the mac pack - it seems way more stable than my clusterfuck of mods I was using before. I did find another box though:

Yeah, I found that one too. Thanks man!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I found a Terrain mod that is significantly more stable on Mac, i.e. you can actually use the terrain controller and not have it crash and the texture dats are smaller(The Columbus Terrain Mod for the curious). The colors are quite a bit brighter than the Appalachian but it gives you snowcapped mountains and imo is easier on the eyes

:dance:

edit: Bad news though, it appears that even with dat packing the Aspyr version is capped at about 2500 files and/or a max folder size of ~2.5GB. I'm investigating whether or not the Steam version suffers from the same thing, and if it doesn't I will release an Aspyr MacPack that has more goodies than MacPack 1.0 along with a Steam MacPack that has everything from MP1.0 + OF3.0 so that way everyone can have what they need. Based on what I've read, the Steam version was done by Aspyr as well, however I've also read that people have significantly less problems with it so I'm not really sure what's up with that yet.

Tarkus (one of the NAM dev) had this to say on Reddit:

quote:

There isn't really an absolute limit, at least, not one easily reachable one. Certainly, once you pass a certain threshold, things will bog down a ton, but at least in the Windows environment, virtual memory starts to fill in the gap. I don't know how OS X treats virtual memory, but I'd imagine there's something similar in place.
The Mac limit is not a hard file size limit, either--it's a number of files limit, and it can be reached by simply stuffing a couple hundred blank folders in the plugins folder.
I think a more likely scenario is that you may have some conflicting plugins mixed in there--particularly after dumping 1000 more in there before DatPacking--and those might be causing your beachballing.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 11, 2015

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
This game is like a drug. I keep coming back to it :psyduck:
What megapack are you goons currently using?

Edit: The link to Tai's pack is gone. File is unavailable.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 11, 2015

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm going to have to try recover my SC4 files and saves off my old C drive. Thank god I didn't wipe it, but god knows if I can't recover anything from it! :psyduck:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

I think I have it on my Windows and can rehost it if needed since Tai was somewhere with dialup for the next little while.

In other news, things are looking good for the SC4 Mac Crew:

User at Simtropolis posted:

I am only up to 3100 files in a very well sorted and organised (many folders) steam version and as of yet not encountered issues. What happens when I add another 600 files I am yet to find out. Hopefully someone has a definitive answer, but the steam version I have is very stable and playable (at present).
With the Aspyr version as it stands, if I had any sort of organization to my plugins folder the game would crash and I currently have around 3100 files in there as well (when I added another 600-1000 files the game would no longer work) so I kind of have my fingers crossed :ohdear:

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

This is the current upload of Tai's pack, posted on page 51ish:
https://mega.co.nz/#!PslTRYhC!IQT10f_24a6un3M0ehbEFjlyXucQyDU_8L57HY6gYms

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
OP link is dead and waiting on Punch to add the new one in his PM box (the one above). And yes, I'm on
lovely sat Internet so I have no plans to upload in the near future.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ok, so I downloaded the old fashioned pack, among other stuff a while ago, and now my cities are full of Coit Towers. Is there a growable landmarks file in there? I'd like to stop these things from growing without nuking my whole plugins file.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Ok, so I downloaded the old fashioned pack, among other stuff a while ago, and now my cities are full of Coit Towers. Is there a growable landmarks file in there? I'd like to stop these things from growing without nuking my whole plugins file.

Search "coit" in your plugins folder and look for a files with CO$$$ in it, and delete it

Or, bulldoze them after adding more CO$$$ plugins

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ok, I think I found the problem. I guess it's some CAM related bug, and someone was kind enough to make a blocker for it.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I'm getting this weird problem where taxis are replacing most of my automata. My bus stations spawn the ugly default Maxis blue taxis. My waste-to-energy plant has taxis driving up to it instead of garbage trucks. There are still a few buses and garbage trucks appearing, but for the most part they've been replaced somehow. It's driving me nuts and I have no idea how to fix it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Some smartass (I assume the one who made the less pollution-heavy Modern Waste-to-Energy plant) made this the query for the maxis W2E plant:

Literally scared the poo poo out of me even though I'm on a Mac

edit: regarding brown boxing for the PaddyShack farm: I can't find any trace of it on the internet nor can I find it in my plugins, idk if one of you guys know where it comes from but this is what I get for downloading farm megapacks I found on some japanese website

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 14, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I Pop my head in this tag read every 500 posts are so to see if there's any rumblings of a patch for the crashing.

After hearing that the Mac version is pretty stable I have been waiting eagerly for news.

I doubt we'll get a stability patch/update which is a shame because I love this game but the rampant crashing is annoying. I regularly save but the crashes ALWAYS catch me after an important zoning / game progress

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

simosimo posted:

I Pop my head in this tag read every 500 posts are so to see if there's any rumblings of a patch for the crashing.

After hearing that the Mac version is pretty stable I have been waiting eagerly for news.

I doubt we'll get a stability patch/update which is a shame because I love this game but the rampant crashing is annoying. I regularly save but the crashes ALWAYS catch me after an important zoning / game progress

I'm on Mac with about 3000 files in my plugin folder and only get CTDs when I go crazy planting trees in godmode and accidentally go over the edge of the map ( which I suspect is from the tree controller plugin)

Other than that, it never crashes and I never have to worry about saving every five minutes. If you haven't bought it on Mac already, I would definitely wait for a steam sale and get it from there since it is looking like that version is more stable.

Edit: if you're waiting for a Windows patch, I think you'd be better off using the auto saver addon instead :/

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm on Mac with about 3000 files in my plugin folder and only get CTDs when I go crazy planting trees in godmode and accidentally go over the edge of the map ( which I suspect is from the tree controller plugin)

Other than that, it never crashes and I never have to worry about saving every five minutes. If you haven't bought it on Mac already, I would definitely wait for a steam sale and get it from there since it is looking like that version is more stable.

Edit: if you're waiting for a Windows patch, I think you'd be better off using the auto saver addon instead :/

I tried that auto-saver thing but it never worked for me for some reason

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

The autosaver stopped working for me when I stuck the custom resolution/1 CPU stuff in the shortcut for SC4 so it probably gets confused by buttons not being in the same screen coordinates as it expects or something?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My first try at a smaller city:

I kinda like the smaller cities, you can put more character into them :3:

(except for all the repeat buildings :()

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That button with the two people? The third one you never use? There's an option to hide those car thingies in the game under there.

(Seriously, finding that out was such a relief)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Taeke posted:

That button with the two people? The third one you never use? There's an option to hide those car thingies in the game under there.

(Seriously, finding that out was such a relief)

Holy poo poo yes Yes YESSSS

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a fix for the awful super saturated green trees in TAI's pack by default. What was the issue? is it dat packed or can I fix it? (I kind of like the mix of seasonal and pine in Fhuzo)

Also the trees appear to grow and spread, is that normal?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 15, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013
If you mean these:

Subyng posted:

You're not getting any of these monstrosities popping up?

It's JRJ street mod.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
That helps for another issue, but I'm talking about the trees themselves, not where they appear. The really unrealistically saturated ones. Trees also won't appear in Fhuzo when loaded up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

That helps for another issue, but I'm talking about the trees themselves, not where they appear. The really unrealistically saturated ones. Trees also won't appear in Fhuzo when loaded up.

When you render a map it doesn't put trees anywhere, you have to do that yourself afaik

Also yeah I believe trees spread and they definitely grow and get bigger after like 20-50 years

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Tusen Takk posted:

When you render a map it doesn't put trees anywhere, you have to do that yourself afaik

I mean the pre-rendered Fhuzo map in the OP, not one generated from scratch. That one has trees already placed, but they're nowhere to be found when I load up the map.

Edit:

kinnas posted:

I tinkered around a bit and realized I had an outdated version of those trees and the ones in Tai's pack are actually much more agreeable.

This was the post I was talking about- but he doesn't explain what 'tinkering around' he actually did.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

This was the post I was talking about- but he doesn't explain what 'tinkering around' he actually did.

Kinnas!! Explain!!!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Actually, just go download the latest version of JRJ Street mod and see if the new dependancies will paste over the old one

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
the paint tool in God mode also paints those awful bright trees though. Besides I think I'm using the JPN sidewalk mod.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

the paint tool in God mode also paints those awful bright trees though. Besides I think I'm using the JPN sidewalk mod.

You can use a sidewalk mod and the JRJ street mod at the same time. I just checked it out and the JRJ SM has the old dependancies crossed out and the new ones replaces, so you should be able to chase down the .dat you need to

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today I tried creating 22 small dats to compress into one large dat in an effort to compress the files as much as possible to see if I could get OF + MacPack working on the Aspyr version. It didn't work, though it did bring the folder down from 3.5GB to 2.83GB :negative:

Hopefully Steam has a springsale on SC4, I'd love to see if that version is able to use virtual RAM, since it's looking like that's what the problem is. Is there any other way of compressing the files?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
I think the superugly trees might happen because you have an older version of this file:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2790

Seems like in 2012 a lot of the old trees got redone.

edit: Tusen Takk small towns all the way! Post more shots of tiny settlements!

kinnas fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 15, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kinnas posted:

I think the superugly trees might happen because you have an older version of this file:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2790

Seems like in 2012 a lot of the old trees got redone.

edit: Tusen Takk small towns all the way! Post more shots of tiny settlements!

I installed the JRJ Streetmod with the JRJ sidewalk mod and it looks really, really good in my small town :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
It seems like there are lots of nice mods for European or Japanese housing. This isn't super important to me or anything but has anyone seen something with the sort of typically wooden housing we have around here?

• Locked thread