Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Quick clarification question for Final Attack: The Spiral Knuckle arms system. If I put two EN on it, but dont have the 3x barrier for the MAX BREAK, I still get the Boost bonuses, right? It's the only system I saw with MAX BREAK in the Power quadrant instead of the Boost quadrant, so I wanted to doublecheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Ropes4u posted:

Thanks for posting that video. To be honest I wasn't sold on the idea until I watched it :)

Genuinely glad to hear this. Every time I playtest FA!, it occurs to me just how much it would benefit from the automatic setup and cleanup that would be inherent in an electronic format, like the vidja game versions of MtG, for example... but then I remember that doing it that way would completely remove the social aspects which are honestly the most fun part of the game. Besides, the housekeeping aspects of running the game continue to get more and more streamlined as time goes on, and after you've played a couple of games it becomes almost unconscious.

For any of those who are still on the fence, seriously, bust out a copy of the PnP and give it a try. FA! is ridiculous in the very best of ways, and genuinely fun once you get past the brief learning curve.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Unfortunate Final Attack news: I think I may have found an incredibly degenerate strategy. Correct me if I'm entirely off base, but it seems like there's no reason for the machines to not include Drill Unicorn. You can pop a Mystery Hologram in Stage 1, face tank whatever you'd need energy for, and walk into Round 2 with 18 energy... or even more if you luck into a way to trigger either Rainbow Flash or a Second Wind. From that point, energy just stops being a concern and you can put all your efforts into holding and paying back.

Is there some nuance I'm missing that makes this less of a FOOS than it seems like? Because X -> 2X-1 is REALLY good.

Edit: Specifically my preferred solo team for the strategy is Magic Knight, Drill Unicorn, Ice Wolf. It's a very fun team, don't get me wrong, but I just waltzed through my second Difficulty 8 game with that strategy. The worst thing that happened was that I was sweating for dodge symbols in the mid game, but even that was solved by the guaranteed Flywheel Greaves as soon as you Final Combination.

Edit 2: If I'm not just talking out my rear end, I think I have an idea for a possible nerf that doesn't kill the card entirely.

Change the Boost quadrant to "Max Break, Lose 1 Energy: Gain 3 Energy". This would reduce the Energy gain from x2 to x1.5, depending on how "simultaneous" quadrants are handled. Still quite respectable.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 15, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rivensteel posted:

I've done a little bit of gaming with my girlfriend, and I was hoping to get her something that she might like. We tend to play 2-player, and she's liked iOS Pandemic, Hanabi, 2-player Love Letter, and Forbidden Desert. She hasn't much enjoyed Sentinels of the Multiverse or Robinson Crusoe for the many bits to track and card piles to manage. I think the features we're looking for are scales well to 2 players + plays in 60-90 minutes or less + fewer fiddly bits to set up/track +/- cooperative.

Are there any recommendations you can think of? I was thinking Roll/Race for the Galaxy, LoTR LCG, Shadowrun: Crossfire. Alternatively, fiddly/complex games are ok if there are iOS or otherwise electronic versions that will set up and track the bits for us (and reduce the likelihood of cats messing the board up)

iOS Alien Frontiers has been working well for my wife and I, we trade the pad back and forth while doing something else. Add in an AI player or two and you're off to the races.

Pandemic and the new Pandemic: The Cure have both gotten a lot of playtime with us. Straight Pandemic works much like a co-op puzzle game (which is very much up my wife's alley). The Cure sets up and plays faster and more straightforwardly than the original.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Just spend the last hour reading the rules, and watching that sample video you posted BL. Why did it cut off, I wanted to see the Final Attack!

That video really helped show what it's like, though if I played it, it would be with 4 or 5 people. Would be nice to see a larger group have a go.

Liked it on Facebook, commented on one of the posts for it somewhere on BGG... Should encourage us goons to post threads and such about it on its BGG forum, and post images of it and such. Isn't that how it gets in "The Hotness" bar on the left?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Board game club day trip report!

On this cold snowy Valentine's Day, we opened with 5-player Sushi Go to wait for other people to show up. It was taken pretty well as "7 Wonders Lite" and things were pretty even until the last round, when the guy who'd slowly been stockpiling pudding got one hell of a power turn.

Nobody showed up, so we sat down for a longer 5-player game of base Hansa Teutonica, a game about getting influence as a member of the Hanseatic League. It's basically like if Ticket To Ride took a long swim in the euro. You have five level-up-able stats: longest route multiplier, maximum relocation, number of actions, office privileges, and maximum refresh from stock. You spend cubes to complete routes and they go into stock, and you kick extra stock into knocking out someone blocking your route (and they get to re-place on an adjacent one). The level ups take place in remote corners of the map, and some people opted to forego leveling and stick dudes in them, who got points every time the place was scored by anyone. I took a more balanced power-up approach, but by the time I realized how far ahead everyone was (end of game triggers at 20 points and then end-game scoring can tack on a pile) it was too late to shift gears.

And THEN five more people showed up, so everyone factored off into a game of Tichu, a game of Terra Mystica... and I sat down with somebody to teach and play a few rounds of BattleCON Devastation. We had three consecutive matches with different characters from Flight 1, and I swept them thusly:

Match 1: My Alexian vs. his Karin & Jager. I had a couple good range counters with Steeled and a couple good range boost negations with Mighty. I did not actually dodge a Howling by standing directly on top of Jager with Mighty, which I think might be the ultimate insult?

Match 2: My Marmelee vs. his Shekhtur. He punched through a Meditation with Combination but I managed to play a nail-biting range game and drop the occasional pile of damage with Petrifying. It ended with a time-over when his Shekhtur retreated to try and tag me with a Burst, but I dashed right inside the range. Marmelee wins! Friendship?

Match 3: My Eligor vs. his Pendros. The terrain tiles really seem to be more of a threat than a central gimmick for Pendros, who will drop a loving train on you more or less any time he wants. I made good use of Vengeance and soaked up a lot of punishment but delivered just a bit more. Despite getting Aegis clashed out from under me twice, I think by use of Tectonic both times, I managed to land the killing blow when I was on 1 life myself, so basically eligor.txt for that one.

We ended the night with a three-player game of base standard layout Argent: The Consortium. I kind of ran away with influence, getting a lot of influence supporters and making frequent use of the catacombs, also taking the pity influence from the infirmary and using a divinity spell to get back up and moving. I was Larimore Burman but I picked it up first turn. I got Influence, Diversity, and Mana outright (marks on those last two), and Influence broke ties for me on Natural Magic (which I saw early and the Nature player saw late, taking supporters from the three other schools of magic he saw), Divinity (which had really bad luck in terms of available spells/supporters), and 2nd-most Supporters, which I never even saw.

Verdicts:

Sushi Go was light and quick and I have a pile of poker chips to keep score with, so no problems there.

Hansa Teutonica... really seems to assume players will power up a decent amount and not try to burst to 20 to end the game. Also the bumping mechanic basically relies on other players really wanting specific routes, which you can't really rely on them taking the bait for, especially if you do a lot of powering up and "look like you're ahead" despite having 0 points.

My first time playing BattleCON live and even with the simplest Flight 1 characters there was a decent amount of complexity there.

Everyone had a good time with Argent. I aggressively ended the final round because I didn't want to get spells dropped on me, and even with the meager variety of rooms available there was a lot of jockeying for position.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
All of this Argent talk makes me really want it, but international shipping costs more than the game itself [$71 for a $60 game.] and my two local board game stores haven't even heard of it. :britain:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We have started to think that Machi Koro with the expansion is really luck-driven. I'm wondering if we're setting this up right. We took all the cards other than the free ones and shuffled them all together. We then made it so that only 10 unique cards are out at a time for purchase. If we had less than 10 after a purchase, and the next card was for one already out there, it just got piled on top until we got a unique one for the market at that time. Purple cards that everybody had already bought were also flushed out.

Everybody now thinks it's very arbitrary. I suspect a lot of it is based on us accumulating cards to the point that basically one-shot to victory. I think that happens because people don't want to pile money, roll poorly, and give it all away to their opponents. So everybody will blow a fortune on cards that are out there so that they end the turn with nothing, while hoping that they accumulate enough for their one-shot. So I'm wondering if instead we should have, say, a 20-turn limit and whoever has the most money invested into the victory cards + surplus money wins.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We have started to think that Machi Koro with the expansion is really luck-driven. I'm wondering if we're setting this up right. We took all the cards other than the free ones and shuffled them all together. We then made it so that only 10 unique cards are out at a time for purchase. If we had less than 10 after a purchase, and the next card was for one already out there, it just got piled on top until we got a unique one for the market at that time. Purple cards that everybody had already bought were also flushed out.

Everybody now thinks it's very arbitrary. I suspect a lot of it is based on us accumulating cards to the point that basically one-shot to victory. I think that happens because people don't want to pile money, roll poorly, and give it all away to their opponents. So everybody will blow a fortune on cards that are out there so that they end the turn with nothing, while hoping that they accumulate enough for their one-shot. So I'm wondering if instead we should have, say, a 20-turn limit and whoever has the most money invested into the victory cards + surplus money wins.

You've stumbled upon the big secret behind Machi Koro:

... it's not very good.

It's either a easily solved engine game (with the fixed market of the base game) or it's like every market row deckbuilder in which victory is huge dependant on getting lucky with what cards are available for sale at any given time.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ravendas posted:

Just spend the last hour reading the rules, and watching that sample video you posted BL. Why did it cut off, I wanted to see the Final Attack!

It's because one of them said "I", causing the rules-enforcing app to break the camera.

There definitely looks like there's more to the game than my first impression suggested, I've moved up from "not getting, hope to try sometime" to a "maybe", so if nothing else Broken Loose is good at selling here. I'll see if I can get the PnP made and played before the campaign ends.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

Unfortunate Final Attack news: I think I may have found an incredibly degenerate strategy. Correct me if I'm entirely off base, but it seems like there's no reason for the machines to not include Drill Unicorn. You can pop a Mystery Hologram in Stage 1, face tank whatever you'd need energy for, and walk into Round 2 with 18 energy... or even more if you luck into a way to trigger either Rainbow Flash or a Second Wind. From that point, energy just stops being a concern and you can put all your efforts into holding and paying back.

Is there some nuance I'm missing that makes this less of a FOOS than it seems like? Because X -> 2X-1 is REALLY good.

Having a single hugely overpowered and obvious strategy that comes out in every game is strongly thematic.

(And what's a FOOS? Don't use acronyms only you ever use.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Archenteron posted:

Quick clarification question for Final Attack: The Spiral Knuckle arms system. If I put two EN on it, but dont have the 3x barrier for the MAX BREAK, I still get the Boost bonuses, right? It's the only system I saw with MAX BREAK in the Power quadrant instead of the Boost quadrant, so I wanted to doublecheck.

MAX BREAK only affects its quadrant. Spiral Knuckle is basically considered to have an empty POWER quadrant until you pay the MAX BREAK.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Edit: Specifically my preferred solo team for the strategy is Magic Knight, Drill Unicorn, Ice Wolf. It's a very fun team, don't get me wrong, but I just waltzed through my second Difficulty 8 game with that strategy. The worst thing that happened was that I was sweating for dodge symbols in the mid game, but even that was solved by the guaranteed Flywheel Greaves as soon as you Final Combination.

Edit 2: If I'm not just talking out my rear end, I think I have an idea for a possible nerf that doesn't kill the card entirely.

Change the Boost quadrant to "Max Break, Lose 1 Energy: Gain 3 Energy". This would reduce the Energy gain from x2 to x1.5, depending on how "simultaneous" quadrants are handled. Still quite respectable.

Try it on higher difficulties and get back to me. Changing the ratio from 2x to 1.5x has come up before, but Mystery Hologram is as strong as it is as one of many measures to make Difficulty 0 possible to win. In fact, I had to buff Drill Unicorn's other systems recently.

If Difficulty <=4 becomes a cakewalk with current Mystery Hologram, then I'll look into it again. Note how in the 2P video I posted, me and Full Metal Boxers got 15 EN on Stage 1 and pissed it all away just surviving. Then we did it again.

Jedit posted:

Having a single hugely overpowered and obvious strategy that comes out in every game is strongly thematic.

(And what's a FOOS? Don't use acronyms only you ever use.)
First Order Optimal Strategy. Also, I'm 70% sure it's somewhat less gamebreaking when you're not playing on one of the easiest settings.

edit: If anything, I'd nerf Shield of Vega. Lack of Barriers is a dominating factor in games without Magic Knight, and not at all a factor in games with. I also believe Rainbow Flash is more busted than the Hologram.

I am pleased to inform that this is not the first "Is this broken?" concern brought to me in the last week, although it's a lot better than the last one ("What's the downside of crushing both your starting Generics and doing a turn 1 Combination?" "You just crushed the 2 most important Generic Systems you will ever have, and your Drive Keys are gonna be hard to get back."). FA! is full of weird tricks that range from obvious (Mystery Hologram is a dominating EN resource which seems abusive until it starts being necessary) to esoteric (tanking Hits to alter whether an Attack hits on odd or even Impacts is an important mechanic to understand).

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 15, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if I'm going to be able to back Final Attack (even though I very much want to) but I just wanted to let you know I appreciate how much work and how incredibly well organised it is. Good work man.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I really want to play Final Attack!, but my friends are way lame and probably wont like it :(
But also, I have a question: How language-specific are the stage rules? For instance, is "no contractions" a rule? Because that's really English-specific. Same with stuff like "no pronouns", which for an Arabic speaker would be hella easy, since you practically never use full pronouns (as far as I know). I also want to know if you prefer "let's final combination" in English, native language or Japanese (because anime)?

Actually, make "have all the in-game words translated into Japanese" be a stretch goal anyway, because shouting "Sore ga moeru!!" (says Google) after every statement can only lead to even more fun!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Bought lords of water deep plus scoundrels of skullport as a valentines gift.

We played 2 rounds of standard and one with both expansions.

This game is tons of fun, though I think more players will decrease our scores substantially. We also played a few rules incorrectly but with the expansions our final scores were something like 240 to 200. Corruption will mean a lot more with more players going for those big resource piles.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Any opinions on Fresco? I initially dismissed it as probably being too similar to Dungeon Lords to be in my collection but I figure I should ask. Does it play out as similarly as it looks? Is it any good?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Bubble-T posted:

Any opinions on Fresco? I initially dismissed it as probably being too similar to Dungeon Lords to be in my collection but I figure I should ask. Does it play out as similarly as it looks? Is it any good?

I have used this game as the first step up from carcassone/dominion for my parents and my girlfriend. It's fun enough, but if you just pay the base set (without pink + brown or the other mini-expansions), it's a bit of a degenerate strategy to just get money with your workers. I haven't played dungeon lords, but I really don't think they're very similar. For one, fresco doesn't have blocking outside of market buys or tiles to paint. I would classify it as a light-medium, so if you have dungeon lords (or dungeon petz, as I got in real life) it's easily outclassed if you're looking for depth.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Try it on higher difficulties and get back to me. Changing the ratio from 2x to 1.5x has come up before, but Mystery Hologram is as strong as it is as one of many measures to make Difficulty 0 possible to win. In fact, I had to buff Drill Unicorn's other systems recently.

If Difficulty <=4 becomes a cakewalk with current Mystery Hologram, then I'll look into it again. Note how in the 2P video I posted, me and Full Metal Boxers got 15 EN on Stage 1 and pissed it all away just surviving. Then we did it again.
...holy poo poo, that was intentional? I was quite impressed by how much thought you put into the game design before, but now I'm completely blown away.

Broken Loose posted:

edit: If anything, I'd nerf Shield of Vega. Lack of Barriers is a dominating factor in games without Magic Knight, and not at all a factor in games with.
I can see that. Maybe moving the barriers to the boost quadrant only? (The question then becomes what the other symbol in the Power quadrant would be. Melee? Edit Stability would make sense.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 15, 2015

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

Speaking of which, my favorite stupid loving mission story in Imp rear end is one mission where the two sides are basically playing football, trying to get a macguffin into the endzone/goal to win the mission, but both players' endzones/goals are in the same place so when you run the ball towards it and the other player suddenly gets possession, you've done most of their work for them.

This mission illustrates that FFG learned essentially nothing from Descent 2e (indeed FFG may not have learned anything, ever). When I saw exactly that poo poo in the recent Manor of Ravens for Descent, I got fearful for ImpAss, and then whelp. Extremely poorly balanced scenarios with wildly variable scenario-only rules married to hefty doses of luck are all too common. And, as is common for "dungeon crawlers," it's a 1 v 1 game sold as a 1 v up-to-4 game because dungeon crawlers, leaving one Overlord to match wits against four heroes. Good luck, Overlord, if your heroes have any sense of character optimization and teamwork. Dungeon crawlers have a way of being pretty bad games.

HOWEVER

I freakin' love ImpAss and if you can remember posts from people without avatars you might recall I've said very nice things about Level 7 Omega Protocol, also a "dungeon crawler," as well. The key with these things is to treat them like a Dungeons & Dragons that does all the prep work for you and can be played in just a couple of hours. Your Overlord's real job is to pressure the heroes and make their accomplishments come from some real effort, only fighting as hard as the heroes do. Just like a roleplaying gamemaster. An Overlord that tries to take the gloves off and go for the throat is going to run into an unsatisfying result of some kind. Most likely I expect him to lose, and lose in a profoundly frustrating way because his players are competent - so why should he bother? If he wins, he's one triumphant human being lording it over a team of up to four. He's gonna have an unhappy table that outnumbers him*. And it's gonna be real bad if he won because he played viciously against a table of, ahem, "story-minded" heroes. These things are supposed to be stories you play out and who wants to hear a tale of the bad guys squashing the plucky protagonists? A good Overlord pressures the heroes but accepts that they're gonna win, and just has fun on the ride, reading his flavor text and hamming it up. Maybe winning a mission irregularly if he can actually see a non-bullshit opportunity and a little setback would improve narrative flow.

In sum, the secret to dungeon crawlers is realizing that they're really co-ops where the group can control the adversity on the fly - not entirely unlike, say, Fiasco.

FURTHER HOWEVER

The above does not apply to the ImpAss campaign played truly 1v1, where I figure lovely scenario design is still present but at least it's one human competing against one human. No experience with that personally, maybe it's better. Nor does the above apply to ImpAss's skirmish wargame mode. I have no experience with that at all but expect it does not have any of a pseudo-RPG's problems because it's not a pseudo-RPG!

*I believe this situation is distinct from a normal free-for-all game of many combatants like Chaos In the Old World, where one player winning is perfectly cool, because while in Chaos you will have 1 victor and N>1 losers, the losers were not all on a team together, working as friends and sharing the experience of the game the same way.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ravendas posted:

That video really helped show what it's like, though if I played it, it would be with 4 or 5 people. Would be nice to see a larger group have a go.

I'm sort of surprised people keep saying that. When I watch these videos I find them fairly impenetrable, given that it's impossible to see what's going on beyond "people are fiddling with cards and chips and sometimes they get excited". Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't already memorized all the components.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I guess I'm not the only one! I'm more than casually interested but I still don't feel like I know how the game actually works in a way that would let me judge whether I or anyone in my group would enjoy it (I don't think it's my, well, let's just call it my thing but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise and I still find it interesting regardless.)

I checked out the cutoff video but all it is to me is talk I don't understand while two guys move chips around cards on a table.

I watched the intro video (the "This isn't a How To Play but an overview" one - which unlike the other videos Google's captioning works on because there's only one speaker clearly enunciating) which got the basic points across nicely. But the other gameplay videos and the chatter in this thread, I don't really follow any of it because it's always about, involving, or based around specific cards and gameplay or terms the intro didn't cover.

Sure in videos I can see how much :frogsiren: FUN :frogsiren: people are having but not much else.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Does anybody have pro Archipelago strats? I've been trying to focus more on getting a resource engine going with the market to generate money for cards and such, but I still feel like there might be more to the game. It seems like we're still always short of key resources, so there isn't much in the way of building going on. I try not to spend actions harvesting single resources or moving single guys, maybe I'm too squeamish in that regard.

Edit: I'm also always unsure about how many workers I should be birthing/hiring.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 15, 2015

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm sort of surprised people keep saying that. When I watch these videos I find them fairly impenetrable, given that it's impossible to see what's going on beyond "people are fiddling with cards and chips and sometimes they get excited". Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't already memorized all the components.

After reading the book twice over and watching the video, I can follow it, but of course since we can't see exactly what cards they're using, I'm not getting every single bit of their strategy. Drive keys are used to play cards from your hand, willpower gets the keys back into your hand so you can get more out later, green tokens turn systems on, and they provide their icons (if needs are met), which is what they're fiddling with at the top with the tokens on the number line.

Each attack needs a certain icon to stop it, so they're just basically yelling out what they need to get the icon to stop it, and powering the systems needed.

Though, a slow-mo version that's more top down so we can actually see what the cards are, and what the thoughts are, would be nice. As is, it's the creator and a friend that obviously played it a million times playing it at a breakneck pace without explaining anything, so it's understandably hard to follow.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

crosspost:
I was just finishing up the reviewer version of the Final Attack! Print & Play package, when it hit me how much you guys have absolutely spoiled me and blown me away.

Enjoy! I hope this pushes some indecisives over the edge. Otherwise, I hope it hypes up a lot of those already backing.

You will need: Poker chips and cardstock.

For the "print on label paper" sheet, it would be nice if the default layout worked with address label sheets or something similar. Could you fix it for the public PnP release? If you can't find a way to make that work, then at least leave more space and coloured border around each component to make an imperfect cut look OK (like they do on punchboard sheets).

Also, "Knockdown" and "Restore" being indistinguishable except by red/green colour seems bad (the up/down direction won't be preserved after making a token).

rchandra fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 15, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rchandra posted:

Also, "Knockdown" and "Restore" being indistinguishable except by red/green colour seems bad (the up/down direction won't be preserved after making a token).
That is a very good point. R/G colorblindness is the most common type, isn't it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

That is a very good point. R/G colorblindness is the most common type, isn't it?

It is.

BL, if you think you're going to be getting this much feedback about your game throughout the project it might be worth starting its own thread.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jedit posted:

It is.

BL, if you think you're going to be getting this much feedback about your game throughout the project it might be worth starting its own thread.

On BGG even, get that Hotness going.

Then again, the PnP is supposed to be a goon secret for now it seems.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

For Valentine's Day we played a bunch of Android: Netrunner and watched Adventure Time. Best Valentine's Day ever

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

For Valentines I've played Dungeon Petz + Dark Alleys (awesome) and Powergrid.

I'm starting to get to the stage where I can appreciate Powergrid, but I have to say that I don't find the game enjoyable in the least. It's just a counting exercise in the end and I just can't be bothered to math up how much I should spend in order to bid and so on. I don't think it's a bad game but when I play games I like to play instinctively (I do the same in 18XX to an extent, which is why I don't find the game has as much an issue as Powergrid). It feels like the sort of game I should enjoy, but I just don't :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Bubble-T posted:

Its good. Stelas ran some PBF games with it a while back. PM me if you want the latest version of the expansion mod, don't think its widely available.

Pmd!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a Goon Kickstarter thread for that type of thing in general. At the same point, I guess the existing Kickstarter thread is enough anyway, and Lowtax would probably prefer people buy banners.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tekopo posted:

I'm starting to get to the stage where I can appreciate Powergrid, but I have to say that I don't find the game enjoyable in the least. It's just a counting exercise in the end and I just can't be bothered to math up how much I should spend in order to bid and so on. I don't think it's a bad game but when I play games I like to play instinctively (I do the same in 18XX to an extent, which is why I don't find the game has as much an issue as Powergrid). It feels like the sort of game I should enjoy, but I just don't :(

I feel much the same about Power Grid. It's too much maths and bookkeeping, too little interest, and WAY too many high-stakes many-options decisions for our ludicrously-AP-prone group to play with any semblance of speed. I don't mind playing it but I'd far rather play something quicker and tighter with a little less maths. First Sparks is a decent alternative, as is Factor Manager, both by the same company, though neither is that much like PG.

It also bugs me that the game ends when it does, because I feel like being virtuous and running clean power without waste should be rewarded better, but the game frequently ends JUST before shortages start horribly loving over the winners.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I played Power Grid by instinct but what really turned me off of it was that I won a game by getting a really lucky plant draw when I was last in bid order and then I steamrolled everyone. I haven't played since. I also don't think it's a bad game but I'd rather play 1830 (the only 18xx I have access to) for the more stimulating route building or Chicago Express for more demanding bidding. I do really like the resource market but I wish it was bolted on to something a bit more interesting.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I picked up Kemet at my local store's sale yesterday, and quick question on the rules: the rulebook specifies that two creatures (owned by the same player) can't be within the same location - can they move through locations with a friendly creature, though? So long as they don't end movement on that space, of course.

Also, any general tips for rules or playing that we should know about before we dive in?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I picked up Kemet at my local store's sale yesterday, and quick question on the rules: the rulebook specifies that two creatures (owned by the same player) can't be within the same location - can they move through locations with a friendly creature, though? So long as they don't end movement on that space, of course.

Also, any general tips for rules or playing that we should know about before we dive in?

The faq on BGG says:
Can a troop with a creature pass through a friendly space containing another creature?
No. There can never be more than one friendly creature in a space.

So, not even passing through is fair game apparently.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poison Mushroom posted:

...holy poo poo, that was intentional? I was quite impressed by how much thought you put into the game design before, but now I'm completely blown away.

I can see that. Maybe moving the barriers to the boost quadrant only? (The question then becomes what the other symbol in the Power quadrant would be. Melee? Edit Stability would make sense.)

rchandra posted:

For the "print on label paper" sheet, it would be nice if the default layout worked with address label sheets or something similar. Could you fix it for the public PnP release? If you can't find a way to make that work, then at least leave more space and coloured border around each component to make an imperfect cut look OK (like they do on punchboard sheets).

Took the responses to these to the Board Game Design thread! Where, I guess, input and design discussions can stay.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

rchandra posted:

I'd just put pips on one of them, two dots below the arrow part on say, restore and then have Knockdown be dotless.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
So is Final Attack! currently only in KS? I ask because that's the only mention I find of it, yet people are talking about playing already. I've been checked out of the thread for a month or so... I feel very behind.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sicarius posted:

So is Final Attack! currently only in KS? I ask because that's the only mention I find of it, yet people are talking about playing already. I've been checked out of the thread for a month or so... I feel very behind.

Yes, but there's a sekwit goon Print and Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
played El Grande and Tigris & Euphrates for the first time and :vince:

e: actually El Grande was familiar (but still very cool) because I have/love CioTw but man loving T&E is a rowdy game I really really enjoyed it