Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

It's one thing to go a few days without shaving and get all stubbly, but it's another thing entirely to just have that look permanently. I mean to keep the look you have to trim your stubble to keep it down, and if you do that it looks too "clean" and you just wind up looking stupid. Plus you aren't saving time or effort or anything, which to me is a big part of the whole point. I don't get it. I know a guy that does it and it's terrible.

It's called "designer stubble" and it's actually a relatively common and popular look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set shows off.

Working Daze makes a Valentine's Day joke a day late, which is also the joke.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Except this is based on real things a guy from Uber really said at a party... and journalists really did talk a lot of poo poo about him after, so... Ok, Scott Adams, he's a brilliant puppet-master much like you yourself. Whatever you say.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 4, 1959)

Not sure what's up with the substitution this time, since the one that would've gone in sequence is another one with Snoopy skating. Are we scared to talk about Grenoble these days?

Funky Winkerbean, in which Mason Jarr proves his profound inner intelligence by slipping out of Westview while nobody's looking.

Classic Popeye Sunday (c. 1940)

Pogo shows the value of knowing your audience on Valentine's Day. (February 14, 1971; click through to embiggen)

And for those of you who are into original art, I've been sitting on this one for a long time.

Everything else will be along later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, in which Mason Jarr proves his profound inner intelligence by slipping out of Westview while nobody's looking.

Wait, didn't Mason just get there like a day ago in-comic?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That bike looks like the one Jamie built on a recent Mythbusters.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Mister Kingdom posted:

That bike looks like the one Jamie built on a recent Mythbusters.
Water bikes exist. They're about as clumsy and slow as they look.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

The only way this could be a more Funky Winkerbean Valentine's Day was if Mason left her because he was dying of cancer.

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

I recently heard that Phantom was originally printed in women's magazines* and I gotta say it makes sense to me. Phantom Classic is mostly shmoopy sappy romance with stripy panties and the occasional fistfight thrown in.

*ok, yes, I read it in a Cracked article. Take that as you will.

Big Ben Bolt

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I let a lot of things pass in this strip but every time they go " Oh lemme just grab this DNA to transform into X" I just go :argh:
It is just ..JUST SO drat WRONG.

This is my summary of Safe Havens:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Petey is the best.

And for fun: BC

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 15, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Midnight Moth posted:

Better than the original IMO :)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Sam probably thinks that drunken gunfire is an everyday occurrence at the trailer park.

9 Chickweed Lane

Who among us hasn't broken into someone's home just to watch them sleep?

Pibgorn

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Midnight Moth posted:

Water bikes exist. They're about as clumsy and slow as they look.

Here's what Jamie built.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"My free luxury car isn't perfect! Why have you forsaken me, Lord?"

To be fair, while she's acting like a spoiled brat here, Rex Morgan did act like a complete shitlord about the formaldehyde smell. All he had to say was, "Tomorrow I'm going to ask [the old lady who would be a serial killer or art forgery ring leader or something in a more interesting comic] to get it cleaned." instead of taking the car away from her immediately with no timeline of returning. As people have noted, if there was enough formaldehyde in that car to cause acute poisoning effects it would hit you like tear gas. You can smell it at chronic exposure levels, but she's only been driving the car for like a few days at this point.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Midnight Moth posted:

This, unlike the original, made me laugh!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Tambaloneus posted:

This, unlike the original, made me laugh!

And the art is WAY better too!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

Restaurant Chateau Doigt:
- What's all this then?!
- My friend said this is a place everyone goes to.

"Everyone goes to" also means "where everything goes". Meh, I liked the art though.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/15/2004

Ha. Haha.

If ever there was a face in need of a fist it's Amos. Are we not supposed to cheer for the goon? 'Cause I'm kinda on his side here.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts, in which Snoopy's disappointments are small ones. (February 17, 1968)

Confirmed: Charlie Brown is a dog psychic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

LtStorm posted:

To be fair, while she's acting like a spoiled brat here, Rex Morgan did act like a complete shitlord about the formaldehyde smell. All he had to say was, "Tomorrow I'm going to ask [the old lady who would be a serial killer or art forgery ring leader or something in a more interesting comic] to get it cleaned." instead of taking the car away from her immediately with no timeline of returning. As people have noted, if there was enough formaldehyde in that car to cause acute poisoning effects it would hit you like tear gas. You can smell it at chronic exposure levels, but she's only been driving the car for like a few days at this point.

Additionally, she's a teenager. They aren't known for moderation and level-headedness. And while it's incredibly easy to forget with the storylines she's getting these days, when her character was introduced she was actually a Rebellious Teen Girl character. A tantrum from time to time doesn't push the lines of believability all that much. If anything, today's strip makes more sense than anything else that has happened in this storyline so far.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

The answer is usually someone's hogging the bathroom.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Hey now's your chance to beat them up for that snow ball the other day.

On the Fastrack

Well that has to be embarrassing.

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Because well...there's a raccoon, and you know how they steal everything that's not tied down...

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Cleanliness is godliness.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Lockhorns

Mark Trail

2015-01-24 - Mark survived the explosion and was rescued by this guy we saw earlier. Mark's prisoner didn't make it.

2015-01-28 - But that's OK because now Mark has a willing helper.

2015-01-30 - And now we're basically back to where we were before the explosion.

Mandrake the Magician (Oct 18th and 25th, 1942)

Well, that's over then. And we're almost caught up with Comics Kingdom now as well. I'll post another tomorrow, and then we're back to one a week.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tiggum posted:

Mandrake the Magician (Oct 18th and 25th, 1942)

Well, that's over then. And we're almost caught up with Comics Kingdom now as well. I'll post another tomorrow, and then we're back to one a week.

Laughing pretty hard at Major Gallant just letting Jimmy walk out of the war like that, considering all the jingoism in the strip.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

LtStorm posted:

Also to be fair, most parents would probably be pretty strident about their young kid riding in a car with formaldehyde fumes. Smaller body mass and all that.

But also also to be fair, as the guy whose daughter is the cause of the whole thing, the better thing for Morgan to do would have been to say "Hey, free car so you can cart my daughter around, so I'll pay to get it cleaned."

I'll try to bring Classic Funky back tomorrow. Just haven't had the gumption to post the rest of the 70's teacher wedding story.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

It's called "designer stubble" and it's actually a relatively common and popular look?
It doesn't seem real common to me. I mean like I said I've seen people with a few days of stubble, but intentionally leaving it that way all the time I don't see a lot. And I guess things that work on models and movie stars don't always work with everybody.

OK so it's really just the one guy. I'm basing my entire opinion on this subject on one guy I know who is the only person I know or have ever known (that I remember) that does this and it looks dumb as hell on him.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

And for fun: BC

Just looking at the first two panels gives you a completely wrong idea about where the comic's headed.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Midnight Moth posted:

Wanna shop that thrift store. Even the local shops I know that practically give stuff away never have prices that low.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Midnight Moth posted:

FIRST TIME posted:

Wanna shop that thrift store. Even the local shops I know that practically give stuff away never have prices that low.

Same. I have that Philco (that's not mine, though) portable radio in my collection, and it's worth far more than 5 bucks. That's a wood, and leather cabinet (yeah, it's a portable), and I think I gave $30 when I bought mine, and I thought that was a steal.

Jane's World

Keyword: "probably".

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

Huh. :psyduck:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/16/2004

Yep, shadows only appear after fresh snowfalls.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Actually, an interesting idea.

:v:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Solution is a gas solution. It just gains its stinky fog properties when combined with air.

Count weirdly wins again!

Midnight Moth posted:

Second what others are saying. Would defiantly buy that crazy chicken jug for a buck.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Petey dodges a bullet.

The Creeps didn't.

Poptropica ...I hope this doesn't pull a Mighty Max and set the comic on an infinite loop.

Heathcliff

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

And that's the end of Bloom County. Not the end of Opus, though, as he will return in a month's time, having relocated to a new land.

Calvin And Hobbes

And one more, to get me back on standard thread time.

Ripley's

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Vittangi Disease may just be Swedes being Swedes.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

This is syndicated now, right? Is it being offered as a single panel thing or something? I'm wondering because I notice it's not set up in the classic panel format, although I suppose it's seems to be made in such a way that it could still be printed that way.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Continuing the tale of Skippy and the little shoes. :cry: (December 19, 1927)

Skippy posted:

Dear Sooky:

That was all very nice in your letter, an' I think something could be done with them toys you're goin' to send up. But about the newspapers I don't know. Maybe you could cut out the comics. Cut out some of the department store pictures of toys too, 'cause they're nice to look at even if ya don't get them. It'll set them all to wishin' anyway.

Send up a pair of shoe laces for the kid's shoes, 'cause I got lookin' them over this mornin', an' the laces are half full o' knots an' any minute they're liable to bust in a couple o' places. I give 'em a rub-off this mornin' with my napkin.

Doctor Moran breezes up to me boat an' sez, "Well, Skippy, how would you like to go around with me to the children's ward?" So in we goes. He says, "I want to have you meet a little girl." The kid's only about 4 1/2 an' pretty too, but she's all wrapped up in the covers. I asked the Doctor what was the matter with her. He says "She's been burnt." So we asked the nurse to get her ready, an' the nurse wheeled her out to a table. Then they got to takin' off bandages on her whole left arm, an' I never saw anythin' like it in all my life. It's all colored up funny like, an' she can't move it. Then she got a big square piece o' skin taken off her side, an' Gee! it looks terrible. Gee! I didn't think I'd have the nerve to look, but I didn't want to run away, 'cause I knew the doctor wouldn't have no use for me if I got scairt. When they took off the bandage from the side that little kid only said, "Doctor, it hurts." An' the Doctor said, "You know what I told you. If you don't cry or anything I'm going to give you a kiss, an' when I give you the kiss I'm going to put something in your bank. Won't that be nice?" An' she said" Yes, I won't cry." He allowed me where he put the skin that he took from her side, an' it's right on her arm, an' now she c'n raise it just a little, an' the Doctor says it'll come around all right, cause she'll be able to raise her arm more an' more. Part of her neck an' cheek is scarred, an' she points to it an' says to the Doctor, "This is all better now Doctor, ain't it?" An' he sez "Yes, darling," an' he kisses her hand. Gee! I just sorta filled up, cause I know that scar will always stay there, an' her so pretty. It'd be different with blokes like us, cause it'd make us look tough, but on girls it's sorta different, ain't it? The Doctor fixes her up an' he says "Where's your bank," an' he puts a quarter in it, so I says "I'll chip in a quarter too, Doctor." Then I happens to remember I don't know where the quarter's comin' from, so I just owe it.

Well, we got to moseyin' around the hospital. There's all sorts o' kids in there. Some's cut up an' some's sick, an' they're all very poor. There ain't even one little teeny weeny toy in the whole ward for those kids, an' if it wasn't for the nurses I don't know what they'd do. Gee! They're lovely. They cut out paper dolls, an' they made something I never saw before in all my life. They get plain soda straws and put empty spools on the end of 'em, an' the kids blow soap bubbles all day long.

Try an' get some toys together to send up to the hospital, an' I was thinkin' too if this skin on the arm don't work out right, us Orioles could all get together and give a little skin. So see how the gang feels about sending up fifteen pieces of skin. I am writin' to Santa Claus to ask him if he'll remember to stoop at the hospital. The Doctor says that's only one hospital, that all over the country there'll be children in hospitals that maybe get nothin' for Christmas. Write soon as ya get this.

SKIPPY.

Peanuts (February 19, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 23-24, 1926)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ZeeToo posted:

Pros & Cons

Wait a second, did Pros and Cons just steal a punchline from me?

What's next, Giant Dick Dog Comix?

The squirrels clearly went to a ton of effort to make that custom heavy bag, but it's not to scale at all. They should have just done it up like Poncho's crotch.

Ballard Street

Jerry definitely draws all the noses in this comic like dicks on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is hungry.

Working Daze is...uh..wha?

• Locked thread