Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tracula posted:

That's what bothered me in a way too. Can we just do something loving new and not rehash old ideas or pseudo-remake classics? Part of me feels that when/if there's a third JJtrek film they're gonna somehow cram the Borg into it because of brand recognition.

The problem with Hollywood is that it's purpose is to provide a return to investors. It's run by business school graduates trained for an economy founded on moving paper towels and deodorant, and they have no idea how to sell stories. So until the human sciences provide reliable modes of controlling our economic choices far beyond what's currently possible, the money men are going to go with brand awareness because it's the best way to get a return on investment.

Try anything new that doesn't make bank and they tear you apart. There's a basement out there somewhere where the guy who agreed to make Speed Racer is being waterboarded nightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Abrams ultimately OK'd the STID script despite not writing it himself. He could have said "No, this sucks." While I blame a lot on Orci/Kurtzman; Abrams could have demanded something better but didn't. From a structure/plot standpoint, virtually everything was wrong and incoherent about STID. I can't single out one or two things because it'll give everything else too much credit. And that's not counting the whitewashing.

That's why I'm not thrilled about the new Star Wars. Brand loyalty is useless; so I'd only go see it if people say it's an A+ movie. If it's a B, I'll wait for the DVD and borrow it.

That said, I'm pretty thrilled Justin Lin was tapped as a director for Trek. I liked how he built the Fast & Furious franchise; and has been pretty big in denouncing Hollywood's whitewashing.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Sofie Liv joins me on Cheapskate Live! to watch Supergirl and the Bloody Traces of Stargirl, in which we learn the secret of Supergirl’s greatest power: watching the news.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Okay, from what I've seen of TotalBiscuit he seems to be quite insane. Can someone explain in detail exactly how messed up this guy is? All I have is the link when he registered to SA, the time where he told a fan to get cancer and die and somehow thinking that death threats are okay as long as no one acts on it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Annointed posted:

the time where he told a fan to get cancer and die

Is this before TB got cancer, or is it okay for him because of it?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is this before TB got cancer, or is it okay for him because of it?

I believe he said that on Reddit before he was diagnosed with cancer. Regardless that is still a lovely thing to say.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Annointed posted:

Okay, from what I've seen of TotalBiscuit he seems to be quite insane. Can someone explain in detail exactly how messed up this guy is? All I have is the link when he registered to SA, the time where he told a fan to get cancer and die and somehow thinking that death threats are okay as long as no one acts on it.

The guy was diagnosed with colon cancer. He decided to go to the doctor after he was bleeding from his rear end for about a year. (Or so I heard)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
TB admitted that post he made years ago here was loving stupid and that he regrets the whole "Get cancer and die" thing. gently caress, compared to what you'll read people say here I'd say it's positively nice all things considered. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of TB but I really think people throw around a lot of hyperbole about him rather unfairly.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
TB is a weirdo but in a list of "Insane poo poo Goons Post on SA" that post probably won't make the top 50

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did he also apologize for saying that white privilege doesn't exist.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

TB is a weirdo but in a list of "Insane poo poo Goons Post on SA" that post probably won't make the top 50

Totalbiscuit hates people linking to it on social media, though. I linked to it once on Twitter and the dude blocked me within minutes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tracula posted:

That's what bothered me in a way too. Can we just do something loving new and not rehash old ideas or pseudo-remake classics? Part of me feels that when/if there's a third JJtrek film they're gonna somehow cram the Borg into it because of brand recognition.

I thought this was already the rumor? I'd heard they were going to try and crowbar in Picard and the Borg into New Trek 3, or am I confusing rumored rumor for actual rumor?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Omnicrom posted:

I thought this was already the rumor? I'd heard they were going to try and crowbar in Picard and the Borg into New Trek 3, or am I confusing rumored rumor for actual rumor?

I think Picard still has a few decades before he's even born.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They were going to have Shatner in there somehow last I heard.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Benne posted:

Wasn't it like 8 years ago?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm watching SF Debries LP of System Shock 2. I don't watch him as often as I should and I forgot how funny he can be.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Wasn't it like 8 years ago?

Yeppppp. A post so old even aatrek wouldn't touch it.

Come on guys, let it go. At least disagree with something TB said/did during Obama's second term.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Totalbiscuit hates people linking to it on social media, though. I linked to it once on Twitter and the dude blocked me within minutes.

Can't blame him; that's the sort of thing that's probably just headed straight for persistent and annoying interactions.

Unless like you weren't directly addressing him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Totalbiscuit and white privilege, or how it doesn't exist in his white, male mind

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Tracula posted:

TB admitted that post he made years ago here was loving stupid and that he regrets the whole "Get cancer and die" thing. gently caress, compared to what you'll read people say here I'd say it's positively nice all things considered. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of TB but I really think people throw around a lot of hyperbole about him rather unfairly.

Admitted it multiple times actually and really regrets saying it. Goons have this weird obsession with TB because of that post and the amount of outright lies I see get posted here about him because of that bad post eight years ago is pretty absurd. For example he was streaming Dota 2 a couple of months back and some goon started saying he was screaming at teammates etc, when nothing of the sort was happening and when called out on it just linked to that dumb post as if that made what they were saying true.

Annointed posted:

For example this post right here is what I'm talking about. The cancer thing was years ago and was made when some guy insulted his wife who at the time at been separated from him because of US immigration, which led to him not being able to see her for years. Understandably someone would be upset about that and wouldn't take well to his wife being insulted at the same time. He's since then apologized for that anyway and yet dumb people keep bringing it up, but they don't bring up the context for why he said it because they've got some weird axe to grind.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Did you know that Boyhood took twelve years to {gets shot in head by copyright cartel}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSZg1Wy7H0k

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Please tell me it was actually TWELVE YEARS! stuff before the take down.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Gyges posted:

Please tell me it was actually TWELVE YEARS! stuff before the take down.

Since you asked nicely, yes, I will tell you. It was actually an Honest Trailer for TWELVE YEARS A BOY!

https://twitter.com/screenjunkies/status/567126983465656320

quote:

While we work on reactivating our @YouTube link - watch our @BoyhoodMovie #HonestTrailer here! http://www.break.com/video/honest-trailers-boyhood-2819153 #SpreadTheWord

https://twitter.com/screenjunkies/status/567125493753720832

quote:

screenjunkies @screenjunkies · 3h 3 hours ago

Sorry @Revdrum_ We didn't delete the Boyhood #HonestTrailer - Someone just doesn't understand "parody". We are working on getting it back!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Tae posted:

Totalbiscuit and white privilege, or how it doesn't exist in his white, male mind

You mean hes WHITE!!!!!

This changes everything!!!!!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Every time TB talks about SA (always positive) he mentions how stupid his post was and that he totally deserved all the flack he got for it. He owns his mistake, so let it rest already.

VVV Be my guest.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 16, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

Every time TB talks about SA (always positive) he mentions how stupid his post was and that he totally deserved all the flack he got for it. He owns his mistake, so let it rest already.

Sure, so now we can talk about how he's talking strategy with Kotaku In Action and other GG-y shitheels.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The man's feed reads like Richard Dawkins's output to some level, so in a way his rant is a bit akin to how folk quote either the honey airport tweet, or the "I'll never be owned" tweet, or the dogs engaging in full 69 tweet as less as a "He's terrible because this" but more as a cutesy cherry on top.

I mean for crissakes, he managed to weird out The Extra Credits folk, which I thought it was impossible.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sure, so now we can talk about how he's talking strategy with Kotaku In Action and other GG-y shitheels.

I thought kotaku is anti gg since gg bitch about that site too. Or is there something called "kotaku in action"?

it like we need a flowchart to understand gg sometimes.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah, it's a subreddit. The "Moderate Wing of GG".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remembered the good old days when mocking Kotaku's lovely writing was a convenient punchline. And then GamerGate ruined it for everyone. Thanks a lot, Reddit. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now, I may find TB to be a hyperbolic dude that I rarely agree with, but I don't see how people linking to an eight year old idiotpost he put up here is any different than the people who dug up Hope Chapman's internet history from when she was younger. It's disingenuous and rather petty. Hell, I like Moviebob but his first stuff he did for the Escapist was loving terrible. Guess what, though, people change and opinions can change over time.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Echo Chamber posted:

I remembered the good old days when mocking Kotaku's lovely writing was a convenient punchline. And then GamerGate ruined it for everyone. Thanks a lot, Reddit. :(

Just because the nazis banned smoking doesn't take away the fact that smoking is bad for you.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The problem with dissing Kotaku is that usually the response tends to be poo poo from people that barely read the news, so you get stupid poo poo like people saying that only Gaming Journalism is the sole one where corporations can skew the "truth" and then tries to tie themselves with the loving American Enterprise Institute. It's like getting angry at Justin Bieber and then solely attempt to push Anal oval office as a standard for music.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yeah we can still make fun of Ben Kuchera's headlines. Don't let them take something wonderful from us.

Jim Sterling used to say some pretty stupid stuff a year or two back, MovieBob can have a little slack. He needs to stop doing skits though, they're awful. At least he's bringing it to an end. TotalBiscuit on the other hand has only seemed to got worse of late. It's friggin' weird to see him have a go at people getting harassed when he bailed out of reddit precisely because of it.

Anyway I'm good for film, games and music critic but with JO no longer doing them is there any Critic out there who reviews anime and isn't a terrible human being? There has to be one. In theory.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

OH I won't, I just am warning for folk going for place devoted entirely to pooping on those sorts.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How do you feel about Bennett the Sage?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Bennet's alright. Not terrible, not exactly great. Someone a bit less immature would be great.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

He's also got a hard cutoff date for anime he'll review, so if you want recent stuff you're boned.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

He's also got a hard cutoff date for anime he'll review, so if you want recent stuff you're boned.

It does help keep the show more focused and makes it distinct from a huge number of similar shows about anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I have a soft spot for DouchebagChocolat when it comes to anime 'reviews' and I have no idea why. He's terrible but I think he knows he's terrible at least.

• Locked thread