Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

you have a vpn into your infra subnet. you ssh in. you dont need to log on with vnc and load firefox to check a local http server lol

do you really want 60 user devices with questionable security in your infra network? that sounds retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this why IDS, symantec endpoint, firewalls, shell loggers, passwords, and privilege escalation exist now get the gently caress out of the thread

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

this why IDS, symantec endpoint, firewalls, shell loggers, passwords, and privilege escalation exist now get the gently caress out of the thread

hhahahahah hhohohohoh hhehhehe

pram
Jun 10, 2001
HOW U MANAGE SERVER WITHOUT RDP

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how do your IT infrastructure people access your appliances' (web)guis without a graphical management server?

just curious

ssh -D

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Subjunctive posted:

you don't need to run an X server on a system to export applications from it to your desktop

IMA scrub that meant session.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wasn't Windows Server Core supposed to let you admin everything using Win32 GUI applications *party like it's 1994* over DCOM *wow such secure* or some poo poo hosted within MMC?

whatever happened to that anyway

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

wasn't Windows Server Core supposed to let you admin everything using Win32 GUI applications *party like it's 1994* over DCOM *wow such secure* or some poo poo hosted within MMC?

it still exists

it's still garbage

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
gnome 2 was actually poo poo for pisshead morons. compare it to gnome3 and it looks good but so does a loving turd.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Mr Dog posted:

rdping to the server and doing whatever you need to do is much faster. it is there and works about half the time though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

gnome 2 was actually poo poo for pisshead morons. compare it to gnome3 and it looks good but so does a loving turd.

the featureless idiocy and imaginary target user didn't start in gnome 3. they started deleting features from gnome back in what, 2.10 ? 2.12 ? migrating to a "spatial" file browser, fewer preferences dialogues, etc

the last versions of gnome 2 were much, much less useful and usable than the earlier iterations

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
xfce is good for me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the featureless idiocy and imaginary target user didn't start in gnome 3. they started deleting features from gnome back in what, 2.10 ? 2.12 ? migrating to a "spatial" file browser, fewer preferences dialogues, etc

to this day I have no idea how the spatial nautilus managed to end up so bad. the underlying idea is good, as apple's excellent pre-osx finder proves. but gnome managed to turn gold to poo poo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I installed Ubuntu on a lovely VM and it ran so badly that I had to get the flashback thing and use metacity instead of unity

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Unity didn't even look any better so I'm not sure what it ews doing

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
unity gets rid of all that pesky "functionality" that gets in the way of your web browsing

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

how do u manage a windows server even with rdp ???

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

how do u manage a windows server even with rdp ???

one at a time

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

to this day I have no idea how the spatial nautilus managed to end up so bad. the underlying idea is good, as apple's excellent pre-osx finder proves. but gnome managed to turn gold to poo poo

spatial nautilus didn't have spring loaded folders or shift-click to close an entire folder stack of windows

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
trip report: i installed centos 7 on a vm and it was a hilarious failure

i encountered gnome 3 classic mode for the first time

it's bad. i actually liked being able to put miniature application launcher icons in the menu bar in older rhel/centos. it was poo poo ui design but at least it gave me quick access to the essentials (browser, terminal). now for some reason that capability is gone and for reasons the area to the right of the menus is some kind of taskbar, because the one on the bottom of the screen wasn't enough. wtf??? who thought double taskbars was a good idea

to add insult to injury, the dupe taskbar is terrible. note to gnome ui designers, putting icons behind text without making sure the text is always high contrast against any background? that is bad design. bad bad bad

the workspace switcher in the bottom right is somehow worse than before, it's like the people writing this poo poo have been given a mandate to simplify it without actually thinking about usability in any way

speaking of which, they've revamped preferences in an attempt to ape apple's system preferences.app, which is good, but have gone way overboard removing things in an attempt to ape apple's minimalism, which is bad (as in they literally offer fewer knobs to twiddle than mac oh ess ten)

the user interface animations commit the cardinal sin of ui animu: animating on mouse down. tbf apple sometimes does this too but much less often

this one isn't a regression, but gnome still hasn't realized they should copy the correct way to handle menus with submenus from 1990s era macos, so selecting poo poo in submenus is (still) unnecessarily annoying and difficult

oh and after i got done installing centos and updates and then installing the program i needed to run, xilinx vivado, it turned out that vivado segfaults on rhel/centos 7 because gently caress you. idk whose fault that is im perfectly willing to blame it on either party

so now i've deleted that vm and made a centos 6.6 one and the ui is poo poo but at least somewhat usable. also its ui is way the gently caress faster than centos 7 so chalk that up as another regression in gnome. but holy lol i'm still using a 2.6 series kernel ityool 2015

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it's slow because it's in a VM and doing the 3D via llvmpipe instead of your GPU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

BobHoward posted:

this one isn't a regression, but gnome still hasn't realized they should copy the correct way to handle menus with submenus from 1990s era macos, so selecting poo poo in submenus is (still) unnecessarily annoying and difficult

whoops spoke too soon it is a regression. the default gnome desktop in centos 6.6 does this the right way

something something cadt development methodology

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

it's slow because it's in a VM and doing the 3D via llvmpipe instead of your GPU

i'm comparing the default desktops of centos 6.6 and centos 7 holding (virtual) hardware constant. 6.6 is usable and actually quite fast. 7 not so much.

if anything 7 ought to have the advantage here because it might have a kernel new enough for vmware fusion's 3d accel features to actually work. 6.6 sure doesn't.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

i've never gotten the whole "lets use two panels" on either Gnome 2 or 3 Classic Mode. i split my time evenly between RHEL and OS X, but at least i keep as much usable window space available.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I use KDE on my centos development machines because I think it looks nicer but everyone on the internet seems to hate it

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I use KDE on my centos development machines because I think it looks nicer but everyone on the internet seems to hate it

i would seriously use kde on my rhel machine if it didn't feel like a second class citizen by red hat. i preferred suse in the past but holy lol am i not going to get something from the novell trainwreck.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if i had to use linux on the desktop for work i think i would just take a hard right turn when i was driving over the bridge

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

pram posted:

"unpossible!" - an windows CJ

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

does it somehow insist on drawing every animation frame, rather than timeboxing the animation?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eschaton posted:

does it somehow insist on drawing every animation frame, rather than timeboxing the animation?

I don't think so, I assumed by "slow" he meant a stuttery mess.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

stuttery because low frames per second. maybe it was actually because it was relying on hw accel to rasterize zoomy effects etc and none was there? idk.

it's possible the animations weren't timeboxed but i didn't really put a lot of time into close observation before i deleted the vm. i probably could have lived with it but after some googling i decided there was no point in spending time figuring out how to make vivado run on it when i had a perfectly good centos 6 dvd image already downloaded

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

stuttery because low frames per second. maybe it was actually because it was relying on hw accel to rasterize zoomy effects etc and none was there? idk.

it's possible the animations weren't timeboxed but i didn't really put a lot of time into close observation before i deleted the vm. i probably could have lived with it but after some googling i decided there was no point in spending time figuring out how to make vivado run on it when i had a perfectly good centos 6 dvd image already downloaded

my experience with Ubuntu 14.10 with an FX 5200 was that the animations weren't timeboxed and insisted on showing me every composited frame no matter how long it took. throwing a 6200 in that system and switching to the NVidia drivers made the animations take ~1s, showing just what stupid bullshit the UI was pulling.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
had chrome crash like 99999999999999999999 times today on UBUNTU GHONME and also sometimes it leaves a little like idk what to cal it but like imagine u mouse over smth and it has a little white box backgrund box, well, the text goes away but the box stars unless u kill the app that generated it. and its on all dekstops, like, a peice of tape on ur monitor but virtal,, pretty fail imvho

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

eschaton posted:

I found it to be actually slow to like, open a window or something

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i just tried gnome 3 wayland fedora on a virtual machine its quite nice

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Origin posted:

i've never gotten the whole "lets use two panels" on either Gnome 2 or 3 Classic Mode. i split my time evenly between RHEL and OS X, but at least i keep as much usable window space available.
I've never gotten the obsession with horizontal panels. our monitors are getting wider and shorter, surely the only logical thing to do is to shift to taking up space at either side instead

and yet no version of gnome I've ever tried has had good support for vertical panels. xfce does it well every third version and then breaks it horribly for a year because xfce uniquely combines cadt development methodologies with no testing whatsoever. kde and windows both do it very well though, gratz

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

eschaton posted:

my experience with Ubuntu 14.10 with an FX 5200 was that the animations weren't timeboxed and insisted on showing me every composited frame no matter how long it took. throwing a 6200 in that system and switching to the NVidia drivers made the animations take ~1s, showing just what stupid bullshit the UI was pulling.

compiz animations are absolutely timeboxed. if ur whackass crystal prison graphics driver is you can cj the animation times and timestep with ccsm. lol lunix tho

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

functionally kde4 was pretty good, everyone hated it because the interface was ugly as gently caress and felt like it was designed by and for people who spend so much time in a dark room that they need sunglasses in the presence of a 40 watt light bulb. you could try to make it look nicer but that usually had the side effects of misaligned buttons, squished icons and cut-off controls.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

Windows has been managed w/ RPC since NT. Server Core just removes the windowing environment. It has always worked better than Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Shaggar posted:

Windows has been managed w/ RPC since NT. Server Core just removes the windowing environment. It has always worked better than Linux.

can u rdp to a server core?