Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What exactly did Create A Style entail?

Put any texture on any object. Waluigi faced beds, cars, clothes, dishwasher, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What exactly did Create A Style entail?

Create A Style allowed you to customize the colors and textures of any piece of furniture, wall/floor, or clothing, as well as hair colors, in-game in build mode or Create-A-Sim. It was really cool, but kind of not so well implemented, so on most peoples' machines it resulted in a lot of performance loss, delay in loading textures, and probably contributed to the massive size of Sims 3 save files.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Oh, there's another Sims sale, all parts of The Sims 3 are $10, Medieval's combo pack also. The Sims 4 is $40.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just spent several hours making a $320,000 dick shaped house. What has my life become?

Link

(not mine, of course)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

limaCAT posted:

Link

(not mine, of course)

:eyepop:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

limaCAT posted:

Link

(not mine, of course)

A true testament to the power of TS4's Build Mode.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just wonderful.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Sims 3 question: The OP for the Sims 3 thread mentions CC Magic for reducing the absurd load times. However, the program itself is old compared to newer expansions (2012). Does it still work?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's not reason why it shouldn't work still. I personally just manually merge CC, since it's not terribly hard.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Why the hell are my Houses and Rooms not showing up in my library? I save them in Build Mode, it says they are saved and I can click the "Detailed Info" button that pops up yet they aren't actually IN the library!

EDIT: Turns out there is a "Show Custom Content" button, hidden underneath "Advanced Options" which is stupid because there are only two options in it!

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 11, 2015

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Get to Work sounds really good. I like that you can run a non-specific business if you don't want to do something as specific as a police officer.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Star Guarded posted:

Get to Work sounds really good. I like that you can run a non-specific business if you don't want to do something as specific as a police officer.

Owning a bookstore has always been a dream of mine and one of my Sims is loosely based on a friend of mine who's planning to open a bakery, so I'm real glad to see both of those being specifically mentioned as possibilities. It also seems like it will synthesize really well with existing skills like woodworking, painting, etc.

Also according to SimsVIP, a new trailer was posted on the official Sims Facebook page listing a March 31 release date.

Also also, aliens are in fact confirmed to be in this EP, your Sim can both run a business and have a normal career, and sometime this week we'll be getting more in-depth info on the medical career/profession/whatever they're calling it now.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Reading about this EP is taking me back to when Hot Date came out and you could make and sell jam jars and lawn gnomes and it was amazing :allears:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

sweeperbravo posted:

Reading about this EP is taking me back to when Hot Date came out and you could make and sell jam jars and lawn gnomes and it was amazing :allears:

My fondest Sims 1 memory was making several dozen lawn gnomes (they almost completely carpeted the giant mansion lot), and then casting the gardening spell from Making Magic that makes every lawn gnome on the lot come to life as an evil shin-kicking dick. There's a moment of calm as they all do the "stretching their limbs" animation and then they start shrieking.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

So it sounds like a nice mix of Ambitions and Open For Business. That could easily be the big expansion to get me to buy the game.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm definitely getting more and more excited for this EP as I hear more about it. I love having my mechanically-minded sims make furniture at the woodworking table, and it would be fun to expand that into a full-fledged business.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I haven't been keeping up with any Sims 4 stuff, has create-a-style been added back in yet? Expansion sounds nice but that was a deal breaker for me.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Also according to SimsVIP, a new trailer was posted on the official Sims Facebook page listing a March 31 release date.

I hope this leads to April Fools' patch notes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zoe posted:

I haven't been keeping up with any Sims 4 stuff, has create-a-style been added back in yet? Expansion sounds nice but that was a deal breaker for me.

Create A Style can never be readded, however every item has like 5-9 colors and it's easy to make your own or download someone else's.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Elliotw2 posted:

Create A Style can never be readded, however every item has like 5-9 colors and it's easy to make your own or download someone else's.

gently caress that if I can't dress people in burlap sacks and rubber tires why even bother

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zoe posted:

gently caress that if I can't dress people in burlap sacks and rubber tires why even bother

Oh my God. Do you have any screencaps laying around?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zoe posted:

Well for one thing it no longer runs like a pile of horse poo poo.

Create A Style was a big contributor to that in TS3 IIRC.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

mycot posted:

Oh my God. Do you have any screencaps laying around?

it's not much but here I found my old character Brick Shithouse kissing a knight in scale mail

I'll probably get 4 next time it goes on sale but I'm going to miss dressing literally everyone in the goofiest outfits possible so, so much.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well for one thing it no longer runs like a pile of horse poo poo.

Create A Style was a big contributor to that in TS3 IIRC.

I don't mind them removing the patterns too much.

Wish they could have at least kept in a color picker, though. The ability to change anything to any color in just three seconds in-game was really nice, and the part of CASt I miss the most.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zoe posted:

it's not much but here I found my old character Brick Shithouse kissing a knight in scale mail

I'll probably get 4 next time it goes on sale but I'm going to miss dressing literally everyone in the goofiest outfits possible so, so much.

How did I never, ever think of this. I loved designing absolutely stupid furniture but I never made the connection.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The moment I knew I was going to preorder The Sims 3 was when I watched a preview video where they had a Sim who had cowprint pajamas, cowprint jeans, a cowprint couch, and a cowprint car.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Overall, the changes made to the game itself was well worth losing the open-world and CASt. I don't really find myself lacking in options for clothing or furniture. Sure, I would prefer to be able to create my own bedding for a Sims house rather than choosing a basic bed, but I'd rather have the game running smoothly over stuttering with much more customization options.

The biggest change from Sims 3 to 4 are the Sims themselves. It's much easier to create a sim rather than fiddling around with sliders. Of course it's sometimes hard to find out exactly where you need to click and in what mode to change an aspect of the Sims face. The multi-tasking is really quite good since a Sim can actually do two things at once. In Sims 3, a Sim couldn't sit at the bar, have a drink, listen to music, and have a conversation at the same time. Of course they can in Sims 4. They feel a little more alive. More than the emotions do. Emotions are more of a hassle than you'd think, since it can be hard to figure out what emotion boosts the skill gain of a particular skill, or how to actually get a particular emotion. Or when an focused Sim wins a chess game and becomes confident when you want them to focus on skilling up logic.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
For the most part I like The Sims 4 better than 3. I did not have all the expansions (or even most of them) for 3 so the lack of content doesn't bother me as much.

What I do miss is the system that spawned people in houses and such. If I play long enough in 4 everyone dies and no one has kids. I play generations so this bugs me when every so often I have to manually go into each household and spawn kids. For non played households I wish they would have kids and then have those kids get married.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

The multi-tasking is really quite good since a Sim can actually do two things at once. In Sims 3, a Sim couldn't sit at the bar, have a drink, listen to music, and have a conversation at the same time. Of course they can in Sims 4.

Ah, but sims can sit at a bar, have a drink, and talk to sims in the Sims 3.

I'm still not sure why being able to listen to music as well makes everything so much better when so much has been lost.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Making everything plaid kind of got old though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm still not sure why being able to listen to music as well makes everything so much better when so much has been lost.

Yeah but if your sims did that in TS3 it's only while they're sitting at the bar, and they can only do the most basic chat. In TS4 your sim can have a drink and do any other interaction at the same time. You can get drunk, take a piss, and talk to your urinal buddy about his job now, or whatever.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

It's different though.

Sim 1 can be having a drink while also watching TV, talking to Sim 2 who is cooking dinner in the same room, while Sim 3 and Sim 4 occasionally chime into the conversation during their game of chess.

It's all happening (fairly) smoothly and simultaneously rather than a series of conveniently queued actions occasionally making it sorta look like two sims are chatting at a bar.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Mac version is released today at 1:00 PM Eastern.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

Looselybased posted:

What I do miss is the system that spawned people in houses and such. If I play long enough in 4 everyone dies and no one has kids. I play generations so this bugs me when every so often I have to manually go into each household and spawn kids. For non played households I wish they would have kids and then have those kids get married.

I miss story progression! I only play one family through generations and the neighborhood is so dead. Plus, they don't meet coworkers anymore so they have to go hunting for friends which is a pain.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What we need is some co-op Sims. Interestingly enough you could do this in the PS2 version of Sims 2. Each person just controlled their own dude, it was awesome.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Bookish posted:

I miss story progression! I only play one family through generations and the neighborhood is so dead. Plus, they don't meet coworkers anymore so they have to go hunting for friends which is a pain.

Seriously. Also the kids don't meet anyone in school so you have to go to the playground for kid friends. I can't tel you how many times I've had to genetically create children in order for my kids to have friends. Makes me feel like some kind of mad scientist.

"What do you mean you don't have friends? Here, have these friends who I created for you! mwahaha "

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bookish posted:

Literally one night at the bar and you'll have dudes crashing on your couch. The lack of autonomous family growth is a downer, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Mac version is out.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Literally one night at the bar and you'll have dudes crashing on your couch. The lack of autonomous family growth is a downer, though.

Yeah, having to manually make kids for families so the neighbourhood doesn't die out is pretty annoying. Although going into Manage Household and just using the play with genetics button to make a couple kids with random names isn't quite as painful as it could be.

Still I'm really hoping one of the future free features is basic story progression. Even if its not assigning jobs, just occasionally having single sim A marry single sim B and randomly generating a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What we need is some co-op Sims. Interestingly enough you could do this in the PS2 version of Sims 2. Each person just controlled their own dude, it was awesome.

It would end up like Sim City and be terrible, most likely.