Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sounds like Mail.app new email notification? Or maybe Messages.app. Check your preferences for those two.

The only startup sound I'm aware of is the "donnggggg" when you power up the laptop. It has an interesting history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_startup and you can mute it by muting your Mac before shutting it down IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Thanks, Pivo.

It was Messages. For some reason I ruled it out initially because I hadn't sent or received anything. It was the status changing that caused the sound. Turned off sounds in Messages and it's gone.

Although...now that I know what it was, I might just turn it back on.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

SLOSifl posted:

I just got a retina MBP and am in love with it so far. Having recently picked up an iPhone 6+ and iPad, I'm super happy with how well things play together.

This might be a weird thing to be annoyed about, but how do I turn off the sound that plays when I login when the system wakes up? It's some kind of whoosh sound and I can't find an exposed preference anywhere. I tried turning off User Interface sounds, but that didn't apply.

edit: It also plays if I close the screen and then open it prior to the lock timeout - might be a wake sound, not a login event.

If you're talking about boot chime, type 'sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80' into terminal. You can reverse it later using 'sudo nvram -d SystemAudioVolume'

e: just saw next post, ignore me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SLOSifl posted:

Thanks, Pivo.

It was Messages. For some reason I ruled it out initially because I hadn't sent or received anything. It was the status changing that caused the sound. Turned off sounds in Messages and it's gone.

Although...now that I know what it was, I might just turn it back on.

Yeah that sound goes all the way back to iChat.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there any way to access the Messages quick reply from the notification centre?

Like after the banner has gone. It's a lot easier and smoother than having it switch me across desktops to Messages.app and then I have to switch back to what I was doing.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Does anyone know how Mac Mail's function to automatically detect mail servers actually works? Does it do a lookup against some kind of list of known mail servers based on the user's email domain? Or is there some kind of network mail discovery protocol that it runs on?

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue where Mail consistently pulls the wrong server settings for a particular ISP's mail, and I'm having trouble finding decent info about how the feature works.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

Does anyone know how Mac Mail's function to automatically detect mail servers actually works? Does it do a lookup against some kind of list of known mail servers based on the user's email domain? Or is there some kind of network mail discovery protocol that it runs on?

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue where Mail consistently pulls the wrong server settings for a particular ISP's mail, and I'm having trouble finding decent info about how the feature works.

It looks up the autodiscover CNAME on the domain.

edit: However, while this is the canonical way for it to work, I noticed autodiscover worked for @myemployer.com which is on Gmail, and we don't have an autodiscover CNAME set up yet both Thunderbird and Mail.app were able to figure out that it's Gmail. So I guess it's autodiscover + some other magic?

Pivo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

It looks up the autodiscover CNAME on the domain.

edit: However, while this is the canonical way for it to work, I noticed autodiscover worked for @myemployer.com which is on Gmail, and we don't have an autodiscover CNAME set up yet both Thunderbird and Mail.app were able to figure out that it's Gmail. So I guess it's autodiscover + some other magic?

Doesn't it figure it out using MX record (which in turn points to the CNAME of the mail server)

Do you have the MX record pointed to a Google CNAME(which I would imagine it would if they host your email)?

i.e.: myemplyer.com MX 0 mail-service.gmail.com (I had to double check, but as long as it's a valid FQDN you can tell anyone that your mailserver is whatever host)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

flosofl posted:

Doesn't it figure it out using MX record

Ah, yup.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Does anyone else have massive problems with Excel on their Mac? It is terrible compared to my PC. I have a 2010 Macbook Pro and Excel is horrible on it, but I have a 2010 Windows laptop I bought for like 500 bucks and Excel is awesome.

Is it the version? I have never done anything to run a Windows program on my Mac but will it make Excel better if I emulate Windows? I have started using it a lot for my business and honestly I might go back to a Windows environment. I don't see it getting any better either because this version is from 2011 so it isn't like they regularly update it.

Some of it is just design. Switching between different workbooks in Windows is fine, but I have a search box open in one Excel workbook I cannot do anything in a different workbook. It makes me stutter all over the place if I am on the phone because if I search for something there is like a 5 dialog box sequence to access a different workbook.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ribsauce posted:

Does anyone else have massive problems with Excel on their Mac? It is terrible compared to my PC. I have a 2010 Macbook Pro and Excel is horrible on it, but I have a 2010 Windows laptop I bought for like 500 bucks and Excel is awesome.

Is it the version? I have never done anything to run a Windows program on my Mac but will it make Excel better if I emulate Windows? I have started using it a lot for my business and honestly I might go back to a Windows environment. I don't see it getting any better either because this version is from 2011 so it isn't like they regularly update it.

Some of it is just design. Switching between different workbooks in Windows is fine, but I have a search box open in one Excel workbook I cannot do anything in a different workbook. It makes me stutter all over the place if I am on the phone because if I search for something there is like a 5 dialog box sequence to access a different workbook.

Well, there's three options. One is wait for the new Office for Mac to be released sometime later this year.

Another is to run a VM (which is what I do) with Office 2013 installed.

And finally, you can get an Office 365 subscription and run the online version (which isn't terrible, but I'm not sure how feature complete it is).

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Pivo posted:

Nope... That's what fixed it for me when I could only see old backups.

Sorry at this point I have no idea. If you can confirm the backup DOES exist, there likely is something you can do. Mount it on a clean install and rsync I dunno. Sorry I'm on my phone. Good luck

So it appears the problem was System files were being excluded without indicating that in the Time Machine options. I used a new drive to create a fresh backup and when I went to restore to the new laptop it didn't detect a complete backup. I trashed the Time Machine preferences plist and the new backup I'm running suddenly found 40GB extra so I'm hoping this will fix it. Thanks again for your help!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

I tried the hot corner approach for a while, but now I use Alfred and just type 'lock'

Yeah, CMD+Space L and locked.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Ribsauce posted:

Excel on Mac is super lovely and basically useless if you do anything remotely complex or if you go between Mac and windows excel.

Just install windows and use excel in windows if you want to keep your sanity.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Anyone with insight into how iPhoto libraries work: Why would my library be nearly 3 times larger than a folder containing every single photo/video exported at "Original" quality? I don't do much editing, so it's not like there are tons of copies of each image.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

flosofl posted:

Well, there's three options. One is wait for the new Office for Mac to be released sometime later this year.

Another is to run a VM (which is what I do) with Office 2013 installed.

I will look into the VM option. Thank god they are releasing a new version of Excel for OS X. I have not done much Excel work on my Macbook until recently and it is so much worse it is almost impossible to believe. The product is just awful compared to what you get on a Windows machine. It seems like a conspiracy to make people keep using Windows in a working environment. Every time I fire it up I find something new that is irritating, not to mention it is way slower.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I use a dark grey background for my text when programming/writing, and the line/text-select mouse pointer almost completely disappears. It's really hard to see on dark backgrounds. Anything I can do to change this? I know Windows has much better support for stuff like this. I'm surprised there's nothing in Accessibility to help.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I use a dark grey background for my text when programming/writing, and the line/text-select mouse pointer almost completely disappears. It's really hard to see on dark backgrounds. Anything I can do to change this? I know Windows has much better support for stuff like this. I'm surprised there's nothing in Accessibility to help.

Try this out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

I will look into the VM option. Thank god they are releasing a new version of Excel for OS X. I have not done much Excel work on my Macbook until recently and it is so much worse it is almost impossible to believe. The product is just awful compared to what you get on a Windows machine. It seems like a conspiracy to make people keep using Windows in a working environment. Every time I fire it up I find something new that is irritating, not to mention it is way slower.

It's not a conspiracy, it's been their stated mission for decades. "Windows First" is a mantra oft repeated at Microsoft. Why would you bother pouring any more engineering resources than the bare minimum into a competitors platform?

Thankfully this idea has been changing rapidly the past few years and Microsoft isn't afraid to put out good products for OSX and iOS now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good Terminal replacement for SSH? I know of iTerm2, but I'm looking more for something that can remember passwords, have marco keys, etc. Basically I login to a number of remote dispensers, and execute the same commands. On Windows I use MobaXTerm which works really well in this regard. I was wondering if there was a good Mac version of it (there isn't for Moba, but looking for anything just as good).

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Pivo posted:

http://www.derlien.com/

spongeworthy posted:

Set it to exclude all your temp files, swap files, album artwork, etc. Use a drive mapper and exclude all the non-critical stuff it returns.
Thanks, these worked. I had to exclude about ten different folders and the backup still needs every inch of my free space (I can't imagine how my old backups were only 14gb; looking at things now that doesn't seem to make any sense), but struggling to backup an entire OS on a thumbdrive that hangs on my keychain is definitely a "holy poo poo it's the future" kind of problem.

Pivo posted:

I don't know about a hot corner, but you can do this: open Keychain Access, go to Preferences, enable 'Show keychain status in menu bar', you'll see a lock near your clock, click that and select 'Lock Screen'. That locks it immediately. Then you can do whatever you want with your screensaver activation time and lock delay time.
I've been wondering how to do this for months. I had it on my old mbp, but just figured it was something the new job/company had disabled since I couldn't find it anywhere.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

IUG posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Terminal replacement for SSH? I know of iTerm2, but I'm looking more for something that can remember passwords, have marco keys, etc. Basically I login to a number of remote dispensers, and execute the same commands. On Windows I use MobaXTerm which works really well in this regard. I was wondering if there was a good Mac version of it (there isn't for Moba, but looking for anything just as good).

Why not just upgrade to configuration management?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

We deal with coupon kiosks in grocery stores. So when a store calls in complaining about one thing, we log into the machine to see if that's the problem or if it's something else. Some of these people are as computer illiterate as they get. And we have about 1,300 systems across 4 servers.

Also, I'm not a programmer, so there's no way I'm going to implement that. I just have to work with them (and I'm lucky and can work from home on my Mac on Saturdays).

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I'm noticing the following problem in 10.10.2...It seems that applications that need to watch the file system (for example, source-control software like source tree which monitors a directory for changes or the grunt service for Node.js) are not able to do successfully and/or are not picking up the changes, requiring that i restart them.

Anyone seen this before?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'm noticing the following problem in 10.10.2...It seems that applications that need to watch the file system (for example, source-control software like source tree which monitors a directory for changes or the grunt service for Node.js) are not able to do successfully and/or are not picking up the changes, requiring that i restart them.

Anyone seen this before?

Nope, we rely on a file system watcher at work a lot. I'd know within a few hours of an update that broke it as everyone would be bitching. It particularly uses the OS X API FSEvents through the ruby rb-fsevents gem.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

IUG posted:

You could learn how to use expect. For example:

code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f
set timeout 20

set server [lindex $argv 0]
set prompt ">" # What's the user prompt look like?

send_user "connecting to $server\n"
spawn ssh -t $server

expect {
    "password: " { send "SSH PASSWORD\r" }
    default { exit 2 }
}

expect {
    $prompt { send "cd /var/blah\r" }
    "Permission denied, please try again." { send_user "Wrong password\r"; exit 2 }
    default { exit 2 }
}

expect {
    $prompt { send "rm whatever\r" }
    default { exit 2 }
}

expect $prompt { send "exit\r" }
send_user "\n"

There's a million ways to write an expect script and they're all hacky nonsense, but the above shows the general idea and it gets the job done.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
edit: wrong thread

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IUG posted:

Are you able to use certificates for authentication? That's how I authenticate to all but a few systems at work. If not, an expect script is pretty much your best bet.

I did a quick search for 3rd party SSH clients, and so far they are either lovely, expensive in relation to feature-set, or stopped development years ago.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I've been transferring the same OS from Mac to Mac since a first generation Air and needless to say my iMac is stupidly unstable. I need to reformat but I'm not 100% sure right off the bat what I need to do to make sure some messed art things like music/photos/randomly scattered documents. My computer is barely functioning, so what I'd like to know is if I can reformat then steadily pull stuff off of a time machine backup as I need it without using the time machine backup to restore the (terribly corrupted) saved OS?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Textedit documents are taking up like 25gb of space on my MBA. The three big culprits seem to be files called "sleepimage" and "swapfile0" and "swapfile1" stored in private/var/vm.

The rest of the space looks to be iPhone and iPad backups that I'm going to move to an external drive with symbolic links. But what are those other three huge files?

Edit: gently caress, I should have googled harder.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Anyone else having issues with Microsoft Autoupdate lately? I keep trying to install the Office 14.4.8 update and it seems to get stuck at "Running Package Scripts." It's been at that point for about an hour right now with "about 1 minute left". I am on a 2012 Macbook Pro with up to date Yosemite.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Anyone else having issues with Microsoft Autoupdate lately? I keep trying to install the Office 14.4.8 update and it seems to get stuck at "Running Package Scripts." It's been at that point for about an hour right now with "about 1 minute left". I am on a 2012 Macbook Pro with up to date Yosemite.

Testing. I'll update when complete.

EDIT: It went fine took less than 5 mins from "Check for Updates" in Word to finish. The only thing I can say is make sure all Office apps, Safari are closed and the Office365 Service (One Drive app) is unloaded. rMBP late 2014, 10.10.2

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 16, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tuyop posted:

Textedit documents are taking up like 25gb of space on my MBA. The three big culprits seem to be files called "sleepimage" and "swapfile0" and "swapfile1" stored in private/var/vm.

The rest of the space looks to be iPhone and iPad backups that I'm going to move to an external drive with symbolic links. But what are those other three huge files?

Edit: gently caress, I should have googled harder.

You can turn off hibernation if you'd rather have more space than be saved from a low battery.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Huh. I don't seem to have a sleepimage on Yosemite and I absolutely never gently caress with that stuff. Perhaps Apple has begun creating it only on need?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

Huh. I don't seem to have a sleepimage on Yosemite and I absolutely never gently caress with that stuff. Perhaps Apple has begun creating it only on need?

I seem to recall it only gets created if it gets to the point where it *has* to hibernate to preserve state when he battery is too low (whether active or in a sleep state). I seem to remember seeing on a support doc. I'll see if I can find it if I remember to search for it later (probably won't)

EDIT: nvm I found it in /private/var/vm/ Both the swap and sleep. Both weigh in around 1G, which is not all that much considering I have 16GB of memory. I've never had it dip into hibernation though, just sleep when I close the display, so it may grow to capture the full mem-state when the battery runs out.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 16, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

flosofl posted:

EDIT: nvm I found it in /private/var/vm/ Both the swap and sleep. Both weigh in around 1G, which is not all that much considering I have 16GB of memory. I've never had it dip into hibernation though, just sleep when I close the display, so it may grow to capture the full mem-state when the battery runs out.

That's where I'm looking too, but for some reason there's no sleepimage, just swapfiles.

I think it was 10.8 or 10.9 when the sleepimage shrunk to be significantly smaller than physical memory. The only reason it ever had to be equal to physical memory size was a lack of optimization. Lots of stuff stored in RAM is a cache of stuff stored on disk, in one way or another, so an optimized implementation of hibernation can skip writing all that stuff to the sleep image without ill effect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

That's where I'm looking too, but for some reason there's no sleepimage, just swapfiles.

I think it was 10.8 or 10.9 when the sleepimage shrunk to be significantly smaller than physical memory. The only reason it ever had to be equal to physical memory size was a lack of optimization. Lots of stuff stored in RAM is a cache of stuff stored on disk, in one way or another, so an optimized implementation of hibernation can skip writing all that stuff to the sleep image without ill effect.

That is strange.

After I found the file, I put the computer to sleep, waited a bit and sure enough the time-stamp changed to reflect when I closed the lid. The last time on my swapfile is from 10 days ago.

Here's the Power settings I'm using:
Battery: Put HD to sleep when possible; Slightly dim display
Power Adapter: Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display off; Enable Power Nap

Now I'm curious why you don't have the file. I mean I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but it is interesting.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've started having a problem lately - every time I write a sh file it ends up having the wrong line endings after I upload it to my Linux box via FTP so I get this when I try and run it:
code:
x@x ~/xxx $ ./update_rrd_db.sh 
-bash: ./update_rrd_db.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
when I change the file mode to unix in vim it runs fine, and when I copy the file back across FTP and right back it works fine, until I edit it in Brackets or Sublime Text, then it somehow gets the carrage return back in the file. Wtf? I haven't changed anything in my setup anywhere and I haven't changed programs/ftp settings/etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Replying to myself, it turns out that somehow Filezilla started treating files ending in .sh as ASCII transfers, rather than binary. Because of this it was adding CR before the LF at the end of lines. How this happened... I have no idea. I didn't change any Filezilla settings other than moving to Active mode, which was months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BlackMK4 posted:

Replying to myself, it turns out that somehow Filezilla started treating files ending in .sh as ASCII transfers, rather than binary. Because of this it was adding CR before the LF at the end of lines. How this happened... I have no idea. I didn't change any Filezilla settings other than moving to Active mode, which was months ago.

Couldn't some of that happen on the server side?

I'm thinking that someone might think that, no, saving the incoming data the way it comes in just isn't good enough, and then they flip on some retarded windows-compatibility mode for certain transfers.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 16, 2015