Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
I like the metaphor Taamo used to tie things back to the title at the end. Very heartwa- er, charming.

Now what will I use to fill this Taiyou-shaped hole in my heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Good on it to end on a relative high note rather than getting dragged out into oblivion. I'm assuming the extra chapters will be stuff dealing with Daiki, Hina, and maybe Mao's family since they didn't get all that much attention all told these past few chapters.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 12, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is it definitely just extra chapters? I seem to remember the ANN article I read made it sound ambiguously like a spin off manga.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I think it's just extras to fill the page count for the final volume.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, the end of Taiyou no Ie was good, though the 'right we're in love, lets get married' stuff still seems kind of odd from a Western perspective, but I guess it was 'someday' rather than 'this second'.

Kaelan Zero posted:

I like the metaphor Taamo used to tie things back to the title at the end. Very heartwa- er, charming.

Now what will I use to fill this Taiyou-shaped hole in my heart?

Not sure if it was just because I read it right after but Last Game has a similar sort of feel, assuming the main characters utter denseness doesn't put you off.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 12, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Ah, the end of Taiyou no Ie was good, though the 'right we're in love, lets get married' stuff still seems kind of odd from a Western perspective, but I guess it was 'someday' rather than 'this second'.

I dunno, I feel like they've known each other long enough to know whether they'd work out in the long run.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, yeah, that's true they've pretty much already been together their whole lives.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Neat viz is going to do a free simulpub of the Boys over Flovers sequel. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-02-09/viz-shonen-jump-to-add-new-boys-over-flowers-season-2-manga/.84264

And there's two new chapters about the second largest Mugi in love. http://www.mangahere.co/manga/pochamani/c015/

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Whaaaaat

BOF was one of my favorite early manga series, though it would probably be sort of insufferable to read now thanks to the main love interest being the stereotypical shoujo abusive bad boyfriend.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

coathat posted:

And there's two new chapters about the second largest Mugi in love. http://www.mangahere.co/manga/pochamani/c015/

Oh boy, that rival.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm excited for the inevitable showdown.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Whaaaaat

BOF was one of my favorite early manga series, though it would probably be sort of insufferable to read now thanks to the main love interest being the stereotypical shoujo abusive bad boyfriend.

Yeah I tried reading it and watching the live action drama adaptation* and both were honestly really terrible and pretty much a perfect example of the stereotype shoujo. Sort of like the shoujo equivalent of Naruto or something, except without the latter's interesting character designs.

One thing that really grated on me was that the manga would consistently say that things like money and status don't matter and that the protagonist doesn't care about such things, yet end up with all of her love interests still being the richest, most popular guys around. It's not the "love interests are rich/popular" part that annoys me - that's more or less a staple for the genre - but more the hypocrisy of claiming it doesn't matter and then showing us that it actually does.

*I thought that the live action drama of "Nobuta wo Produce" was far more entertaining/funny and had more likable characters. I don't think it's based on a manga though? I particularly liked Yamashita Tomohisa's character (I actually like most of his drama characters; he's one of the few idol actors that I actually like and was very popular back when I went through my "live action drama" phase).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 14, 2015

coathat
May 21, 2007

This is very good. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kagome-kagome-ikebe-aoi-r14225

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah I tried reading it and watching the live action drama adaptation* and both were honestly really terrible and pretty much a perfect example of the stereotype shoujo. Sort of like the shoujo equivalent of Naruto or something, except without the latter's interesting character designs.

One thing that really grated on me was that the manga would consistently say that things like money and status don't matter and that the protagonist doesn't care about such things, yet end up with all of her love interests still being the richest, most popular guys around. It's not the "love interests are rich/popular" part that annoys me - that's more or less a staple for the genre - but more the hypocrisy of claiming it doesn't matter and then showing us that it actually does.

*I thought that the live action drama of "Nobuta wo Produce" was far more entertaining/funny and had more likable characters. I don't think it's based on a manga though? I particularly liked Yamashita Tomohisa's character (I actually like most of his drama characters; he's one of the few idol actors that I actually like and was very popular back when I went through my "live action drama" phase).

Nobuta wo produce was absolutely good.

Best angsty drama is still Yasashii Jikan, though. It's been like ten years since it aired, but it's still my favorite. Then again, I've watched all of like, two jdramas since 2008. Kdramas are just better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

Nobuta wo produce was absolutely good.

Best angsty drama is still Yasashii Jikan, though. It's been like ten years since it aired, but it's still my favorite. Then again, I've watched all of like, two jdramas since 2008. Kdramas are just better.

No, the most angsty drama is definitely Strawberry on the Shortcake. It's soooo angsty. Like literally every single main character in it is full of angst (except for maybe the girl played by Kyoko Fukada, who seems to play the same infantile/innocent girl in everything she's in).

It also has a bunch of ABBA music in it for some reason.

edit: Seriously, look at this plot summary:

quote:

At some point, Manato Irie (Hideaki Takizawa) began to withdraw himself from the world. Even when picked on, it's not the real Irie, but an act. However one day he meets a strange girl - Yui Misawa (Kyoko Fukada). Yui, who finds the tedium of everyday life unbearable, teases Manato with her almost too upfront and honest manner. Alone and afraid Manato wavers but finds himself drawn to her. But his feelings for Yui are doomed to be unrequited, when he discovers that Yui is none other than his new step sister. While he struggles with his feelings for Yui, Manato begins to receive blue love letters in his shoe locker at school. He eventually discovers that they were left there by his next-door neighbour, Haruka (Uchiyama Rina). Meanwhile, Yui finds herself falling for senpai Saeki(Kubozuka Yosuke), who in turn is having an affair with his teacher, Asami-sensei (Ishida Yuriko).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 14, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally got volume 3 of My Love Story, I'd forgotten about Takeo's dad, his face cracks me up every single time.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
How is your body?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That art is really cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thanks.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The first chapter of Boys over Flowers season two is out. http://www.vizmanga.com/reader/3238-boys-over-flowers-season-2-chapters-1

I laughed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Correct 5 is such an exceptionally silly group name.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006
Found a very sweet (like sugar overload sweet) light manga where the couple actually likes each other and communicates their feelings (my favorite kind):
Love Calendar

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

pandabear posted:

Found a very sweet (like sugar overload sweet) light manga where the couple actually likes each other and communicates their feelings (my favorite kind):
Love Calendar

Thanks for the rec! So far it seems good but it only has 4 chapters, still on chapter 1 but nothing has gone off the rails yet, crossed fingers.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least it has 4 now, I ran across it when it only had two and was pretty happy to see it finally got another update.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Girl likes Blink 182, no thanks. :v:

On another note, oww my teeth.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Girl likes Blink 182, no thanks. :v:

On another note, oww my teeth.

Looks like someone's not a true 90s kid :smug:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

That was the cutest and they have the best problems.

Also this is apparently based on a Deco*27 album

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat, that music is almost as horrendously cute as the manga.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

augh i shouldn't've listened to the last song

6th track is the cutest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gnossiennes posted:

augh i shouldn't've listened to the last song

gently caress, I don't need that poo poo right now.

Edit: The album on iTunes has more songs, maybe that's not the end. :ohdear:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 17, 2015

coathat
May 21, 2007

New Kagome Kagome yall. http://bato.to/read/_/304913/kagome-kagome-ikebe-aoi_ch10_by_antisense-scanslation

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Last chapter of Ao Haru Ride went up. I liked the way it turned out even if it was a frustrating drama-fest to get there.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Oh baby new series by the 3am dangerous zone lady. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/toriaezu-chikyuu-ga-horobiru-mae-ni-r11261

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Stretch updated with another flashback chapter. http://bato.to/read/_/305163/stretch_ch32b_by_boon-scanlation
So now we know how they ended up as flatmates. That ending sure seemed to foreshadow some kinda drama coming up though.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Last chapter of Kagome Kagome http://bato.to/read/_/305236/kagome-kagome-ikebe-aoi_ch11--end-_by_antisense-scanslation

That was really fantastic I loved everything about it. I really hope more of her stuff get translated.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

coathat posted:

Last chapter of Kagome Kagome http://bato.to/read/_/305236/kagome-kagome-ikebe-aoi_ch11--end-_by_antisense-scanslation

That was really fantastic I loved everything about it. I really hope more of her stuff get translated.

I liked it a lot too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah it was enjoyable to read.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Stretch updated with another flashback chapter. http://bato.to/read/_/305163/stretch_ch32b_by_boon-scanlation
So now we know how they ended up as flatmates. That ending sure seemed to foreshadow some kinda drama coming up though.

Stretch really is becoming a yuri manga in all but name in the most recent chapters.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
New Real Clothes! *boing boing*

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Real-Clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not 100% related, but wow, I just found this really old shojo manga scan from 1937 by Junichi Nakahara and it led me on a little adventure.

Dude was pretty talented