Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

don't do wo3 as your first game, people get confused by not knowing the 100+ characters. Get dw8 or sw4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Big Zam is easy prey. Just stay high and use your air attacks on it. Also remember that they have giant hitboxes, so area attacks are particularly good against them. The Unicorn's air SP in particular is murder against Mobile Armours.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I've gotten the hang of making them eat dirt now, but jesus they really stick out and ruin the pace of that game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're worst in DWG2 but they suck in every game they're in and I don't know why OF insist on having them. I hope they learn something from Hyrule Warriors, fighting giant enemies in that isn't amazing or anything but it's way better than any other time they've tried it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So does anyone know if the US version of Empires 8 is launching with any DLC or preorder bonuses like the Japanese version did? Stuff like the Sabatons or Emei Piecers look really fun.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Part of me hopes the DLC sort of transfers over but we all know that is never going to happen. If I could play Empires campaign with the costume DLC stuff I'd be very well entertained.

I also really don't want to buy that DLC ever again too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Davincie posted:

don't do wo3 as your first game, people get confused by not knowing the 100+ characters. Get dw8 or sw4
Yeah, which sucks because WO3 is a great place to start in other respects. Would it have killed them to put in a simple character encyclopedia or something?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

They're worst in DWG2 but they suck in every game they're in and I don't know why OF insist on having them. I hope they learn something from Hyrule Warriors, fighting giant enemies in that isn't amazing or anything but it's way better than any other time they've tried it.

They'll decide that every Mobile Armor should work like the Imprisoned.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So while I was trying to learn more about Empires 8, I came upon a forum that seemed to largely consist of a lot of wailing about Koei Tecmo crashing and burning in Japan and this possibly being the last of the Empires series we'd see in the West. Anyone know what that's all about?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Takoluka posted:

They'll decide that every Mobile Armor should work like the Imprisoned.

:suicide:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lotish posted:

So while I was trying to learn more about Empires 8, I came upon a forum that seemed to largely consist of a lot of wailing about Koei Tecmo crashing and burning in Japan and this possibly being the last of the Empires series we'd see in the West. Anyone know what that's all about?

Woah, what? Are you sure it wasn't just armchair analysis? Were there any sources?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wamdoodle posted:

Woah, what? Are you sure it wasn't just armchair analysis? Were there any sources?
Yeah I'll need a source too. There's a lot of bullshit floating around about how X Japanese game dev is on the edge of destruction, but it's usually just that they had a bad quarter or something.

edit: According to this, they are doing very well in both sales and profits.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 16, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
According to the internet, Nintendo will die any minute now because poor WiiU sales

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I'll need a source too. There's a lot of bullshit floating around about how X Japanese game dev is on the edge of destruction, but it's usually just that they had a bad quarter or something.

edit: According to this, they are doing very well in both sales and profits.

Yeah, I don't really see it happening. They are coming out with Dragon Warriors (:haw:) next too and that will make a killing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tae posted:

According to the internet, Nintendo will die any minute now because poor WiiU sales

Nintendo could lose like 250 million dollars every year from here on out and they could still survive until 2050

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tecmo-Koei has fairly reliable profits. They make low-budget games for a dependable audience bolstered by the occasional surprise hit. They're not a super-duper high-profit company but they don't need to be.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Isn't the Warrior series incredibly popular with women in Japan and that's why all the men look the way the do? Or was that just some joke thing I read on the internet. Either way, even though the western press like to bash the franchises a lot, it would be a real shame if they ever stop making these games. There are no others like it on the market, which is really loving weird.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jimbot posted:

Isn't the Warrior series incredibly popular with women in Japan and that's why all the men look the way the do? Or was that just some joke thing I read on the internet. Either way, even though the western press like to bash the franchises a lot, it would be a real shame if they ever stop making these games. There are no others like it on the market, which is really loving weird.
I dunno about incredibly popular but apparently it does have a female userbase over there that most action games don't. I'm all for it, since it brings even the slightest bit of balance to how the characters are treated as far as who rescues who or whatever.

Anyway, talk about them cancelling the Warriors series is complete and utter nonsense without a single shred of legitimacy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Babe Magnet posted:

Nintendo could lose like 250 million dollars every year from here on out and they could still survive until 2050

If we say this in 2045 :smith:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Samurai Warriors 4-2 released last week in Japan, right? Anyone try it yet?

Talk of Tecmo-Koei's death is weird. From the outside, it looks like they are doing better than ever with Omega-Force by adding Hyrule, Dragon Quest Heroes, and the Bladestorm reboot on top of the other franchises. And it does not look like they are spreading themselves too thin, so far. That DQ trailer was amazing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
While looking up their properties, I didn't know Tecmo was going to be owned by Square Enix until a last minute merger with Koei happened. Man, that would've been weird.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

grrarg posted:

Samurai Warriors 4-2 released last week in Japan, right? Anyone try it yet?
No, as usual I just have Amazon.jp reviews to go off of. They are not so favorable of it as a full-priced product, since it's just a fairly small expansion pack to SW4.

edit: unlike XL it has no level carryover from vanilla SW4, so I hope you like leveling all your characters from 1 again.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 16, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Tecmo-Koei has fairly reliable profits. They make low-budget games for a dependable audience bolstered by the occasional surprise hit. They're not a super-duper high-profit company but they don't need to be.

Yeah, the continued existence of this series with it's incremental updates is only rivaled by Madden and Call of Duty. Not a slight against the Warriors series. I'm just as hooked as anyone :) It's just a game you can zone out to and I'm glad it fills that niche very well with how packed the content is in each recent game.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: unlike XL it has no level carryover from vanilla SW4, so I hope you like leveling all your characters from 1 again.

That pretty well kills it for me.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

grrarg posted:

Talk of Tecmo-Koei's death is weird. From the outside, it looks like they are doing better than ever with Omega-Force by adding Hyrule, Dragon Quest Heroes, and the Bladestorm reboot on top of the other franchises. And it does not look like they are spreading themselves too thin, so far. That DQ trailer was amazing.
I also imagine finally retailing (again) on PC outside of East Asia has been profitable. Has anything been said about how they are doing on Steam?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, sorry, I didn't see anything with actual sources, just lots of wailing, and I was wondering if its coming from something reasonable or just internet pessimism. Closest thing to a source was linking the amazon.jp page for Empires 8 and pointing to the 1 1/2 stars. And apparently "we are bringing Empires 8 to the west to support the fans" translates as "ugh we really don't wanna do this anymore waah!"

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Lotish posted:

Yeah, sorry, I didn't see anything with actual sources, just lots of wailing, and I was wondering if its coming from something reasonable or just internet pessimism. Closest thing to a source was linking the amazon.jp page for Empires 8 and pointing to the 1 1/2 stars. And apparently "we are bringing Empires 8 to the west to support the fans" translates as "ugh we really don't wanna do this anymore waah!"

Was the fansite Koei Warriors by any chance? Half the members there are self entitled whiners who have nothing else better to do with their lives than moan about every minor issue they have with Koei's games. Most of them claimed that DW6 was the death of the series...then 7...then 8.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

Was the fansite Koei Warriors by any chance? Half the members there are self entitled whiners who have nothing else better to do with their lives than moan about every minor issue they have with Koei's games. Most of them claimed that DW6 was the death of the series...then 7...then 8.

Ah, those guys. Every loving game has those guys.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
So I got Hyrule Warriors last Friday. Was not expecting it to be nearly as good as it is. Shocking amount of content.

Can't wait for 8 Empires to come in and split me between two warriors games.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tae posted:

While looking up their properties, I didn't know Tecmo was going to be owned by Square Enix until a last minute merger with Koei happened. Man, that would've been weird.

I'd have played the hell out of a Final Fantasy/Tecmo Bowl mashup.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Out of curiosity, is there any interaction between the base dynasty warriors 8 and empires? (Having just bought 8 when it was on sale for the ps4) or is a 100% standalone game.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Empires is stand alone. Though I think if you have stuff like weapon skin dlc and costumes you can use it there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

More importantly I hear your officer skills and stats carry over from 8 to Empires.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, that's a first if so.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

SeanBeansShako posted:

More importantly I hear your officer skills and stats carry over from 8 to Empires.

Where did you hear that? Genuinely curious as that'll save a LOT of time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

Where did you hear that? Genuinely curious as that'll save a LOT of time.

What I read was that you can import characters from Empires 7.

I think I'm going to get Empires out of the ones coming out right now simply because it looks like the easiest one I can couch co-op with my 7 year old daughter. She likes to play fighting games where you can press one button to win (she is obnoxiously good at this in Soul Calibur V, and can actually do well in Sleeping Dogs so long as she's not on a story mission or anything).

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Lotish posted:

What I read was that you can import characters from Empires 7.

Ah. Yeah, that means you can import characters you have created in 7 Empires without having to build them from scratch. It doesn't mean stats/skills are imported from 7 (especially since 7's stat mechanics are different to 8s)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

My bad, though I kind of wish it was true now :smith:.

I guess I'll put off buying off Empires for a year or so then. I'm just getting my dudes all past level 50 on 8.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

From what I've seen of Empires 8's leveling, it's different playthrough to playthrough and especially patch to patch. When the game first came out, the title or "way of life" determined your starting level, so someone like Lu Bu had a title that meant he started a game at level 40-something, while a normal level would be, like, 8. Patches have changed this so, as far as I can tell, everyone starts at about the same level, but your title helps to determine your stat growth as well as default tactics. So if you get Lu Bu's title, you'll get Lu Bu like stats for your level and access to his default tactics. Dong Zhuo has a title with a rare attack-up skill that sacrifices 1000 soldiers for a massive attack, defense and speed boost. Until patch 1.05, leveling appeared to happen as you fought in battle and completed objectives, but this tended to mean that relatively unimportant officers, like most created characters who didn't have established functions in scenarios, tended to stay the level they started the game at or not level up much, meaning you'd get to the end of the game and the "real" characters would be in the 30s and 40s and created guys would still be something like level 13. They tried to change that with patch 1.05, but it tends to result in everyone leveling constantly, so you can never outlevel anyone who was already higher than you, which means promotions based on being higher level can't happen. Supposedly patch 1.06 will address this, but the google translate of the upcoming patch is junk and I haven't seen a real translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Lotish posted:

From what I've seen of Empires 8's leveling, it's different playthrough to playthrough and especially patch to patch. When the game first came out, the title or "way of life" determined your starting level, so someone like Lu Bu had a title that meant he started a game at level 40-something, while a normal level would be, like, 8. Patches have changed this so, as far as I can tell, everyone starts at about the same level, but your title helps to determine your stat growth as well as default tactics. So if you get Lu Bu's title, you'll get Lu Bu like stats for your level and access to his default tactics. Dong Zhuo has a title with a rare attack-up skill that sacrifices 1000 soldiers for a massive attack, defense and speed boost. Until patch 1.05, leveling appeared to happen as you fought in battle and completed objectives, but this tended to mean that relatively unimportant officers, like most created characters who didn't have established functions in scenarios, tended to stay the level they started the game at or not level up much, meaning you'd get to the end of the game and the "real" characters would be in the 30s and 40s and created guys would still be something like level 13. They tried to change that with patch 1.05, but it tends to result in everyone leveling constantly, so you can never outlevel anyone who was already higher than you, which means promotions based on being higher level can't happen. Supposedly patch 1.06 will address this, but the google translate of the upcoming patch is junk and I haven't seen a real translation.

What is worrying is that we won't get the newer patches when it's released over here. DW7: Empires never got it's biggest patch for the English versions, which fixed a whole load of bugs and glitches and added a bunch of features.