Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Supercar Gautier posted:

Everything Nintendo publishes goes on sale digitally now, and there's no reason Xenoblade would be an exception. Gamestop wants you to order a physical copy because they are in the physical copy business.

Although you can also preorder digital download codes from them. Which I guess is something if you really want one of the bonus items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Doug Dinsdale posted:

While I can understand the appeal of digital--I went digital on stuff like Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing--though I never play anymore, Ace Combat, Culdcept, and other stuff I can play anytime (and being so plentiful they are just commodities anyway), I still much prefer having physical copies.

I can flip a 20+-year old copy of Earthbound for stupid money. Not so easy to do with digital.

Is MH4U available digitally? If so, I'll return this hard copy I got because gently caress having to carry a cartridge around all the time when I can just have it with me all the time. I already have a 64 gig MicroSD with my (soon to be acquired) New 3DS' name on it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fuzz posted:

Is MH4U available digitally? If so, I'll return this hard copy I got because gently caress having to carry a cartridge around all the time when I can just have it with me all the time. I already have a 64 gig MicroSD with my (soon to be acquired) New 3DS' name on it.

Yes, it was available online day one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes, it was available online day one.

Whelp! Time to go back to Gamestop and return this poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan's getting a two-day Fire Emblem event to celebrate the series' 25th anniversary: http://www.fe25thevent.com/

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren::siren:Updated the OP with corrections and suggestions from the thread, and the second post with some game recommendations. Feel free to make good game recommendations along with why its a good game that should be recommended and I'll paste it into the 2nd post:siren::siren:

Alright I'll slam down a few

Fire Emblem: Awakening

A major goon favorite here, FE:A is a SRPG where you move characters across a grid map like a game of chess and follows the story of Chrom, a prince of Ylisse who recruited recently Robin, a mysterious tactician with no memories and also a fully customizable character to represent the player, into his army called the Shepherds to defend themselves against friction from a neighboring country and another group of zombie soldiers known as the Risen. This one is a treat for both new and old Fire Emblem fans, new ones can easily jump into this title as it is the most newcomer friendly of the series, even featuring a "casual mode" to turn off the series trademark permadeath where units are lost for good if they die on the battlefield.

The gameplay is addictive, the game itself is highly replayable thanks to the support system and the ability to create multiple different pairings across your army, the CGi cutscenes are gorgeous, the OST is great, and it's all fast and slick thanks to the fast menus and the ability to speed up battle rather simply.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

The newest addition to the Animal Crossing series, New Leaf is still the same old chill game with a few great additions. First off, you become Mayor of your town, with the adorable Isabelle as your assistant with the ability to issue town ordinances to make stores open earlier or stay open later or even being able to keep your flowers from wilting. There's also a nice QR system for distributing patterns, a secondhand shop, the return of the island similar to that of the GC one, and much more customization options added.

Still cute, relaxing, and a nice game to play in small increments every day. We recommend to buy a digital copy of this game.

Rune Factory 4

Pretty much the best Harvest Moon game on the DS/3DS. It's an action RPG and farming/crafting/life sim hybrid with tons of stuff to do. You play as either a prince or a princess who runs their own farm, crafting your own gear, building relationships, making boss monsters your pets, exploring dungeons and entering festivals.

The amount of content packed into the game is simply awesome, and perhaps beaten by only a few games in that department as you can easily spend over a hundred hours beating all of the story arc and maxing out everything there is to do.

The only reason I'd say to skip this is if the anime style turns you off.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (n3DS only)

Not technically out as of this writing, but since it is a port of an already existing game I feel like its fair enough to make this recommendation. This is one of my all time favorite games and comes highly rated by other goons, it's an RPG that takes place on the top of two titan corpses, the Bionis and Mechonis, who have frozen in time after a long and hard battle. But life sprang up from their corpses and now their inhabitants are locked in an endless war with each other. Features stunning environments and a gigantic world to explore with hours upon hours of content and story. This is the first exclusive for the n3DS as old 3DS hardware simply would not be able to handle something that pushed the Wii to its limits.

The port features 3D effects, an enemy collection, model viewer, music box, and compatibility with the Shulk Amiibo. However if you already own Xenoblade for the Wii feel free to skip it. But for the rest it's a good alternative to those who don't want to shell out for a Wii copy which is rare now and fetches over $70 online and must have for any RPG fan.

If your interest is piqued, there is a thread on SA to discuss this game and the upcoming spiritual sequel for the WiiU Xenoblade Chronicles X.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I bought the Pokemon games on cartridge, because it's useful to be able to move the cart around or trade between them or whatever. But I bought MH4 digitally and it's worked out pretty well (it's huge, though)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Old DS games do not have region locks and can be played in any (New) 3DS console regardless of where that 3DS was purchased, right?

(Considering getting one and curious about whether I can play US imports of older games because Atlus apparently hates Europe.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randler posted:

Old DS games do not have region locks and can be played in any (New) 3DS console regardless of where that 3DS was purchased, right?

(Considering getting one and curious about whether I can play US imports of older games because Atlus apparently hates Europe.)

Yup. The only thing region-locked on the old DS's is the DSi games.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Doug Dinsdale posted:

While I can understand the appeal of digital--I went digital on stuff like Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing--though I never play anymore, Ace Combat, Culdcept, and other stuff I can play anytime (and being so plentiful they are just commodities anyway), I still much prefer having physical copies.

I can flip a 20+-year old copy of Earthbound for stupid money. Not so easy to do with digital.

counterpoints:
1) digital is very convenient and owns very hard
2) I don't think it's really fair to compare the resell value of a 20-year-old, cult-favorite, physical-only game with the games of today that often become devalued in a year due to digital sales and whatnot

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You should buy games digitally if you want digital games

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

planetarial posted:

Alright I'll slam down a few

Fire Emblem: Awakening

A major goon favorite here, FE:A is a SRPG where you move characters across a grid map like a game of chess and follows the story of Chrom, a prince of Ylisse who recruited recently Robin, a mysterious tactician with no memories and also a fully customizable character to represent the player, into his army called the Shepherds to defend themselves against friction from a neighboring country and another group of zombie soldiers known as the Risen. This one is a treat for both new and old Fire Emblem fans, new ones can easily jump into this title as it is the most newcomer friendly of the series, even featuring a "casual mode" to turn off the series trademark permadeath where units are lost for good if they die on the battlefield.

The gameplay is addictive, the game itself is highly replayable thanks to the support system and the ability to create multiple different pairings across your army, the CGi cutscenes are gorgeous, the OST is great, and it's all fast and slick thanks to the fast menus and the ability to speed up battle rather simply.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

The newest addition to the Animal Crossing series, New Leaf is still the same old chill game with a few great additions. First off, you become Mayor of your town, with the adorable Isabelle as your assistant with the ability to issue town ordinances to make stores open earlier or stay open later or even being able to keep your flowers from wilting. There's also a nice QR system for distributing patterns, a secondhand shop, the return of the island similar to that of the GC one, and much more customization options added.

Still cute, relaxing, and a nice game to play in small increments every day. We recommend to buy a digital copy of this game.

Rune Factory 4

Pretty much the best Harvest Moon game on the DS/3DS. It's an action RPG and farming/crafting/life sim hybrid with tons of stuff to do. You play as either a prince or a princess who runs their own farm, crafting your own gear, building relationships, making boss monsters your pets, exploring dungeons and entering festivals.

The amount of content packed into the game is simply awesome, and perhaps beaten by only a few games in that department as you can easily spend over a hundred hours beating all of the story arc and maxing out everything there is to do.

The only reason I'd say to skip this is if the anime style turns you off.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (n3DS only)

Not technically out as of this writing, but since it is a port of an already existing game I feel like its fair enough to make this recommendation. This is one of my all time favorite games and comes highly rated by other goons, it's an RPG that takes place on the top of two titan corpses, the Bionis and Mechonis, who have frozen in time after a long and hard battle. But life sprang up from their corpses and now their inhabitants are locked in an endless war with each other. Features stunning environments and a gigantic world to explore with hours upon hours of content and story. This is the first exclusive for the n3DS as old 3DS hardware simply would not be able to handle something that pushed the Wii to its limits.

The port features 3D effects, an enemy collection, model viewer, music box, and compatibility with the Shulk Amiibo. However if you already own Xenoblade for the Wii feel free to skip it. But for the rest it's a good alternative to those who don't want to shell out for a Wii copy which is rare now and fetches over $70 online and must have for any RPG fan.

If your interest is piqued, there is a thread on SA to discuss this game and the upcoming spiritual sequel for the WiiU Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Thanks! I will add these to the op when i am back on my laptop, because I am currently......wait for it.........posting from my N3DS!!!!

It actually works decent. N3DS owners, try the c-stick in the web browser, pretty handy!!!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i enjoy physical games because i enjoy owning video games and knowing that 30 years down the line (barring a fire or robbery or something) when all the online services are shut down i will be able to pull out my copy kid icarus uprising and play it and go "drat this owns and is still the best game on the system"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nah your 3ds won't work in 30 years, and you'll just download a ROM on the official Nintendo iPad app.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

i enjoy physical games because i enjoy owning video games and knowing that 30 years down the line (barring a fire or robbery or something) when all the online services are shut down i will be able to pull out my copy kid icarus uprising and play it and go "drat this owns and is still the best game on the system"

I don't see why you'd ever uninstall Kid Icarus: Uprising -- the best game in the entire 3DS library for the foreseeable future -- in the first place.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Kaubocks posted:

counterpoints:
1) digital is very convenient and owns very hard
2) I don't think it's really fair to compare the resell value of a 20-year-old, cult-favorite, physical-only game with the games of today that often become devalued in a year due to digital sales and whatnot

But I didn't argue against digital? I went digital on stuff I'll likely play over and over on a whim, as opposed to stuff like DQ7, Bravely Default, Ace Attorneys, stuff I play once and done.

Point 2, there's a tongue planted firmly in cheek. I have tons of old games in pristine condition only because I'm a pack rat and not trying to turn a buck on them.

I just like physical copies. They look nice on my bookshelf where I keep my amiibos.

I mean, as investments go, video games are sinkholes.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 16, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It seems like the games which preserve/gain value these days are only poo poo that you can't easily get a digital copy of in the first place. gently caress Xenoblade,

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'd buy physigital if they sold little codes inside of the original boxes with manuals.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Heran Bago posted:

For homebrew and custom themes Ninjhax works. It requires a firmware version between 4.0.0-7 and 9.2.0-20.

For backups, only the Sky 3DS and its clone cards work on any firmware version. Do not download games off of the internet and play them online or you will get a system and NNID ban. You can not currently make backups of your own games with a New 3DS, you will need a normal 3DS on firmware 4.1-9.2 and no extra hardware.

Region Free or "Region Three" does not currently work on any New 3DS.

Gateway carts, its clones, and all of the related features including emulated NAND do not currently work on New 3DS. An update is in the works and has been seen functioning in closed beta back in November.

This is a little misleading. As of now nobody knows how a console gets banned but it has been happening. It's suspected the identifier of each individual cartridge is the culprit as there are "public headers" however my XL is now banned and I've never used the Gateway online ever. Mine's pretty much for imports as Glorious Nippon has some really great games that don't exist here (Taiko No Tatsujin 1/2, Tetris vs Puyo Puyo, DQM, DQ7, etc) so I'm not really upset about it at all.

I own pretty much every game I'd want to play so hurr durr justifying piracy. Most the other "must haves" are digital on the nu3DS - Luigi's Mansion 2, Pokemon Y, the lovely Mario & Luigi RPG, MK7, DKCR, Animal Crossing and NSMB2.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 16, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It seems like the games which preserve/gain value these days are only poo poo that you can't easily get a digital copy of in the first place. gently caress Xenoblade,

Give it about six months to a year and it'll pop up on the WiiU's Wii VC list. The only reason it hasn't now is so it isn't competing with the n3DS version and, to be fair, it's a perfectly good choice to go "look what we can do with better hardware" in the same vein as Ocarina of TIme was for the original 3DS.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What do people mean when they say their console is banned? Can't go to the eShop anymore?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

greatn posted:

What do people mean when they say their console is banned? Can't go to the eShop anymore?

As well as unable to play online.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I bet the ban goes with a system transfer too. That's what you get motherfuckers.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

greatn posted:

I can go into the eShop but any game, Miiverse or friends list if I try to go online I'm greeted with error 002-0102 which means the system is banned.

And no, the system transfer does not carry over the ban.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

flyboi posted:

Taiko No Tatsujin 1/2

You're a cool dude.

Everyone should import Taiko and play it using Region Three.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I went ahead and emailed Nintendo customer support about my c-stick, off the basis of that one goon who said he could do full circles with his. If it is busted I'd like to nip it in the bud early, although going without monhan for a few days will be awful :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Popehoist posted:

I went ahead and emailed Nintendo customer support about my c-stick, off the basis of that one goon who said he could do full circles with his. If it is busted I'd like to nip it in the bud early, although going without monhan for a few days will be awful :(

The c-stick itself doesn't move, really. I mean, it does an incredibly small amount, but it doesn't move the way a normal control stick would.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

The c-stick itself doesn't move, really. I mean, it does an incredibly small amount, but it doesn't move the way a normal control stick would.

He's referring to his C-Stick not moving the way it should according to the calibration screen: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700920&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post441611771

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

I'm specifically talking about the way it looks on the calibration screen. For reference:

Popehoist posted:

I was having a bit of trouble getting the camera to work for me in monhan so i dropped out to the CPP calibration screen to check my c-stick was working alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77FAwdwhjPc

While I don't expect it to go in a perfect circle, being a tiny nub thing, I'm just curious if this is similar to most people's experience or if mine is faulty. It works, just not very well atm.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ah, sorry. It appears I cannot read.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I hope Reggie has a list of everyone banned and beats up all y'all not following their rules.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, so I guess I kind of picked the worst time to buy into 3DS. No real point in buying the older 3DS XL when the new one is out, but the new one is out of stock everywhere unless I want to buy the red -- which I don't. I guess I could pick up an older 3DS XL that everyone is putting on fire sale now, but I may as well buy the new one if I'm going in fresh.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Popehoist posted:

I'm specifically talking about the way it looks on the calibration screen. For reference:

Here's a reference for my C-Stick, it would appear yours is not working correctly for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMjthktiV4k

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Since most Gamestops seem to be out of New 3DS XL's, would my best bet probably be somewhere like Best Buy?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

drat. Just found a stuck pixel on my N3ds top screen. Guess I'm gonna have to send it in. First time I've ever ran into one too. Would an email or phone call be better?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Martytoof posted:

Ugh, so I guess I kind of picked the worst time to buy into 3DS. No real point in buying the older 3DS XL when the new one is out, but the new one is out of stock everywhere unless I want to buy the red -- which I don't. I guess I could pick up an older 3DS XL that everyone is putting on fire sale now, but I may as well buy the new one if I'm going in fresh.

Cmon, new red is the new new black.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Willo567 posted:

Since most Gamestops seem to be out of New 3DS XL's, would my best bet probably be somewhere like Best Buy?

I think the list of places with possible units starts with Walmart, has Target next, then Best Buy, and finally Gamestop.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

greatn posted:

Cmon, new red is the new new black.

It's the new new new gaudy.

Tomorrow is also "Family day" here in Canada, and everything is closed so I have to wait until Tuesday. This isn't boding well for me since the 3DS was supposed to be an impulse buy. I'm going to have to stay strong!

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Here's a reference for my C-Stick, it would appear yours is not working correctly for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMjthktiV4k

Thanks, that makes me more confident mine is hosed and I'll make sure their customer service guys don't try to gently caress me around. The downside is, I'm probably gonna have to send it back for repairs or worse, replacement. Will Ninty handle the system transfer stuff by themselves if they have to replace my poo poo or do I need to phone them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

elf help book posted:

I hope Reggie has a list of everyone banned and beats up all y'all not following their rules.

I hope Reggie lets me buy games from countries other than mine because publishers refuse to bring the game over but hey can't win them all. Region lockout is literally hitler.