Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
Hahahh good lord Summit is 43-19 against elevate on mirage right now and it just went to OT anyway. When did summit get good again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Guys I'm tired of playing Dust 2 for comp matches, what's the next map I should start playing on?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

The Jumpoff posted:

Guys I'm tired of playing Dust 2 for comp matches, what's the next map I should start playing on?

Ferno Contra

mcvey fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 16, 2015

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I think I need to make an "eco rush" sticker to put on real life things.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So for some reason I can't get buy keybinds to function, mainly numpad binds. I've googled and seen a ton of different ways to type out a bind command and none seem to work. I've seen bind kp_ins "buy vest" ive seen bind "kp_ins" "buy vest" ive seen bind kp_ins "buy vest;" ive seen bind KP_INS "buy vest'' At this point maybe my autoexec.cfg file is wonky In some way buy its copied from the OP except for the bind part. Num lock on/off changes nothing. I have a generic gateway keyboard that uses PS/2 so I don't think its some weird software issue. Besides all that thank you to whoever posted the VPP servers. I've been playing on this one: 162.251.165.20:27016. Its 26 players with no auto armor, normal money rate, collisions on and says FF on but FF has been off the last few days I've played. I've upped the GPU vibrancy and lowered all the visual settings in the game. Its made the graphics a lot more pixel-ated but its honestly helped me notice targets long distance. Before if a player moved their mouse and their character model shifted it would be subtle but lower quality makes this change in color more drastic.

I've had a few good AWP runs and even the stupid weapon switch after the shot real quick feels right at home. I don't even know if that poo poo does anything anymore and for all I know I'm hurting my aim time by doing it but drat if it isn't fun! I've found 2 chests so far in the 20 hours I've played but valve won't let an account buy keys if it its less than 30 days old apparently. I guess its for the best, I've watched that 4 knives in 20 mins video so I'm sure I'll be posting my key buying debts in the future. Also whats this cs lounge thing I keep hearing about? :frogon:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

FalloutGod posted:

So for some reason I can't get buy keybinds to function, mainly numpad binds. I've googled and seen a ton of different ways to type out a bind command and none seem to work. I've seen bind kp_ins "buy vest" ive seen bind "kp_ins" "buy vest" ive seen bind kp_ins "buy vest;" ive seen bind KP_INS "buy vest'' At this point maybe my autoexec.cfg file is wonky In some way buy its copied from the OP except for the bind part. Num lock on/off changes nothing. I have a generic gateway keyboard that uses PS/2 so I don't think its some weird software issue. Besides all that thank you to whoever posted the VPP servers. I've been playing on this one: 162.251.165.20:27016. Its 26 players with no auto armor, normal money rate, collisions on and says FF on but FF has been off the last few days I've played. I've upped the GPU vibrancy and lowered all the visual settings in the game. Its made the graphics a lot more pixel-ated but its honestly helped me notice targets long distance. Before if a player moved their mouse and their character model shifted it would be subtle but lower quality makes this change in color more drastic.

I've had a few good AWP runs and even the stupid weapon switch after the shot real quick feels right at home. I don't even know if that poo poo does anything anymore and for all I know I'm hurting my aim time by doing it but drat if it isn't fun! I've found 2 chests so far in the 20 hours I've played but valve won't let an account buy keys if it its less than 30 days old apparently. I guess its for the best, I've watched that 4 knives in 20 mins video so I'm sure I'll be posting my key buying debts in the future. Also whats this cs lounge thing I keep hearing about? :frogon:

See that's why you should have made a steam account back when they were starting out. I'll never have to abide by these silly rules newer accounts have to deal with. Also CSGOLounge is a betting site. You bet skins on pro matches. Then you lose them.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

mcvey posted:

Ferno Contra

I liked your first suggestion better.

J
Jun 10, 2001

The Jumpoff posted:

Cache and Mirage are both fun.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Crain posted:

I think I need to make an "eco rush" sticker to put on real life things.

I assure you that you don't need to do that

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

True and Real posted:

I assure you that you don't need to do that

But it's a cool sticker :(

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Summit just had an absolutely insane game, carried his team harder then kennyS does. Ended up with like 49 kills which was about double the next guy on his team.

Bad day for betting :(

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 16, 2015

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
And I just had my first bad matchmaking experience. Get into a game on Cache, teammates seem ok, until the game starts and one idiot just stands in spawn the entire time walking in circles. We tried to kick him 4 times but someone was voting no every single time and another wasn't voting, and then we had another go AFK and I just went "gently caress it" 4 rounds in and abandoned.

Do any other silvers wanna get together for this poo poo?

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

The Jumpoff posted:

And I just had my first bad matchmaking experience. Get into a game on Cache, teammates seem ok, until the game starts and one idiot just stands in spawn the entire time walking in circles. We tried to kick him 4 times but someone was voting no every single time and another wasn't voting, and then we had another go AFK and I just went "gently caress it" 4 rounds in and abandoned.

add me /id/Paintballer98

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

The Jumpoff posted:

The guy running around in circles is actively trying to downrank, and his "friend" (probably the same guy) is on another computer making sure he doesn't get kicked off.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
ptr vs the handshake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF0iu6Tgvac

for those who missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJOOdTaX6_o

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

aborn posted:

The guy running around in circles is actively trying to downrank, and his "friend" (probably the same guy) is on another computer making sure he doesn't get kicked off.

EDIT: Autism was the wrong word for this. This is just being a shithead.

The Jumpoff fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 16, 2015

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
haha yeah what an autist

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
autist/autism must be the most overused term in gaming 2014-2015

guess when people are offended at every other word this is what happens

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

People set up bots to get to single-digit MMR in Dota for pubstomping by getting the party's average MMR down. You start usually around 2-3000 and lose 25 per loss. They had to make it so you couldn't do a ranked party queue with an MMR difference over 2000.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

kcer posted:

haha yeah what an autist

imo this whole thread is autistic

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've $25 on Fnatic with the BO3 against VP, does that make me autistic too

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

I've $25 on Fnatic with the BO3 against VP, does that make me autistic too

No that just means you're a degenerate addicted to gambling.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
nm

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Jeza posted:

imo this whole thread is autistic

what an autistic post :rolleyes:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So I'm pretty new to GO (played a fair bit of Source back in the day) and while I've gotten used to it and I'm starting to get out of the realm of being the bottom-fragger, locking me out of competitive after winning two a day really loving sucks. I know it only goes up to ten, but poo poo, that's three more days until I can actually get into playing and I'm really enjoying the game so far :(

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
play some dm its fun and good

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

So I'm pretty new to GO (played a fair bit of Source back in the day) and while I've gotten used to it and I'm starting to get out of the realm of being the bottom-fragger, locking me out of competitive after winning two a day really loving sucks. I know it only goes up to ten, but poo poo, that's three more days until I can actually get into playing and I'm really enjoying the game so far :(

soon playing two MM in one day will seem like two too many

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Just look at the post below this one.

The Jumpoff fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 16, 2015

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Or you could just play on a community 5v5 comp server.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

astr0man posted:

Or you could just play on a community 5v5 comp server.

I dunno....Goonman makes me play worse..It's fun yea but..

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

play some dm its fun and good

Yeah, I've enjoyed it. Good for getting strafe shots down on unsuspecting pubbies.

Jeza posted:

soon playing two MM in one day will seem like two too many

My dreams of slaughtering pubbies en masse and letting the tears flow like spice are crushed :(

That all being said, wtf is with this ranking system? I can't find anything that actually says *how* it works. What is it based off of, average score per winning round or something?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

That all being said, wtf is with this ranking system? I can't find anything that actually says *how* it works. What is it based off of, average score per winning round or something?

Takes into account only the amount of wins/loss you have against the opposing team. From what I remember there is a match end number that it predicts you'll hit and if you're way below it, it tanks your rank score a bit, if you're well above it, it pushes it up a fair amount.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

kcer posted:

what an autistic post :rolleyes:
use smokes to block off an aut

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

There is supposed to be a Virtus Pro - Fnatic BO3 going on in some minor tournament (with Envy - NiP later) but they had to stop because the casters are getting DDoSed. Next level griefing.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Something like this:

Behind your rank is an invisible MMR number. Your team is assessed as an average of the 5 players and then matched against as close a number as can be found in a combination of another 5 players, with other variables such as map selection and whether the players are queuing as a group confusing the issue. So, if you queue as 5 it tries to put you against 5, but it may resort to matching you against a 3+2. It handicaps that 3+2 usually by having them have a slightly higher average MMR to compensate for you being a stack of 5. Likewise if you queue for de_overgrown only, you'll likely get a big disparity in player ranks due to having a smaller pool of players to select from, and the teams may be unequally matched.

However, the system compensates for known inequality by predicting the likely result and calculating your MMR gain or loss by comparing the final result with that prediction. The margin of victory in terms of rounds won is therefore important for gaining MMR. It is also possible to rank up on draws and on losses. If you are predicted to lose 13-16 but win 16-0 you gain a ton of MMR, while if you draw the game you might earn a little. I've heard it said that MVP and individual performance can affect your MMR gain but so far I don't think there is any evidence for that.

Valve haven't (and probably won't) publish their actual metrics. What I've written is just speculation and observation.

e:

quote:

The CS:GO competitive ranking system started with ideas based on Glicko-2 rating model and improved over time to better fit the CS:GO player base. All computations are performed on our matchmaking backend and multiple matchmaking parameters describing scientific set of rating variables of a player are represented to players as a their Skill Group. You should be able to find papers on rating systems involving rating volatility and rating deviations online to get a better idea about why our complex competitive matchmaking parameters cannot be represented as a single numeric value.

Valve person implies that there is some complex malarkey going on behind the scenes. But if you just win games and don't do terrible, you'll rank up.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 16, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

They'll never clarify because then people could probably game it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So for matchmaking, just suck less than the other team and hope the number god that guesses how good you are is underestimating your abilities. Got it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of an online competitive game that builds a matchmaking rating system based around actual in game statistics rather than just rounds/matches won? Anything more specific than the MVP stars that may or may not count in CS, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Doesn't ESEA use RWS for their matchmaking system?

• Locked thread