Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

So it turns out you CAN paint over Krylon fusion if you let it cure for 7+ days. I had good results in my testing with Valspar spraypaints. Your results may vary of course.

I needed a test project before working on some Nerf, so I rebranded my respirator:

Those are the replaceable particulate filter covers, not the actual cartridges.

E: I did just realize not everyone in the world has played Borderlands. It's styled in the colors of one of the gun manufacturers, Maliwan.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
No, no, no, the respirator protects you from corrosive damage, it doesn't deal it.

That's pretty cool.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Right, time to get started on a new project for 2015.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

MajorGravy posted:

That is looking rad as poo poo! Cherno Alpha is my favorite jaeger, hell yes.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Anyone here big into cosplay in Australia, and knows a reliable and inexpensive source for worbla?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MajorGravy posted:

Cherno Alpha is the loving best and I really want that shirt.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Anyone here big into cosplay in Australia, and knows a reliable and inexpensive source for worbla?

I'm not from australia but I believe there are only a few vendors with it online I know US has yaya's store but it's the same price as online places.

https://www.cosplaysupplies.com/store.php?search=worbla&searchbtn.x=0&searchbtn.y=0&searchbtn=Search&s=

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
tengen toppa cherno alpha

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Edea helmet is aaaaalmost ready for smoothing glue coats! After putting it all together I came to the unfortunate conclusion that the back horn is too long and will render me unable to turn my head so I'll have to fix that tomorrow but I'm really happy with it otherwise!

Svarotslav
May 22, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I've been told that http://www.amcsupplies.com.au in Adelaide is the go-to place. Not sure about the costings.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Edea helmet is aaaaalmost ready for smoothing glue coats! After putting it all together I came to the unfortunate conclusion that the back horn is too long and will render me unable to turn my head so I'll have to fix that tomorrow but I'm really happy with it otherwise!

I'm not surprised but that is some of the smoothest worbla work I have seen, usually I see lumps and bubbles. You are perfect. :swoon:

As for my own personal progress Hilda is almost finished. Doing up all of the armor bits today so that I can paint them tomorrow. My world consists of craftfoam and plastidip. I dropped the tabard ends to the printing shop near my place they are going to vinyl print the designs onto them I get them back the day before the con so last minute attachment but it's just a straight stitch so it should be fine. After I clean up the house it's on to gluing the first 350 crystals to the front panel. Then I need to finish the base dress. I'll have two months to do everything else. Assuming the cage skirt build goes well it won't be too bad, I am thinking about just doing a cage building party supply booze and pizza to friends with heat guns and just have us all blast heat on the pipes while bending. I wish there was a place you could rent big tools for cosplay stuff like a shop you could rent for a few hours to get stuff done.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 16, 2015

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Roughly how much cash/Worbla is sunk into that helmet? I've been wanting to get into thermoplastics but the price tag is intimidating as hell and they don't really say how much you can make with a medium-sized sheet. As opposed to insulation foam, where a $16 gigantic 4'x8' sheet builds several staves and shields with enough scraps left over to provide insulation for my wall-mounted air conditioner.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

LadyRavenWaves posted:

I'm not surprised but that is some of the smoothest worbla work I have seen, usually I see lumps and bubbles. You are perfect. :swoon:

As for my own personal progress Hilda is almost finished. Doing up all of the armor bits today so that I can paint them tomorrow. My world consists of craftfoam and plastidip. I dropped the tabard ends to the printing shop near my place they are going to vinyl print the designs onto them I get them back the day before the con so last minute attachment but it's just a straight stitch so it should be fine. After I clean up the house it's on to gluing the first 350 crystals to the front panel. Then I need to finish the base dress. I'll have two months to do everything else. Assuming the cage skirt build goes well it won't be too bad, I am thinking about just doing a cage building party supply booze and pizza to friends with heat guns and just have us all blast heat on the pipes while bending. I wish there was a place you could rent big tools for cosplay stuff like a shop you could rent for a few hours to get stuff done.

Aww jeez :3: It's definitely not perfect but you are just the best. :D I cannot wait to see Hilda!

TunaSpleen posted:

Roughly how much cash/Worbla is sunk into that helmet? I've been wanting to get into thermoplastics but the price tag is intimidating as hell and they don't really say how much you can make with a medium-sized sheet. As opposed to insulation foam, where a $16 gigantic 4'x8' sheet builds several staves and shields with enough scraps left over to provide insulation for my wall-mounted air conditioner.

I used about half of an XL sized sheet for this plus some scrap that I had laying around so roughly $40ish or so of worbla maybe? The horns and disc things on the sides have EVA foam and pink insulation foam on the inside to save volume. For my lich king build I'm estimating 3 sheets plus the half I've got left from this and the scrap I already have on hand. For my full Khorne armor suit and axe shown below, I used about 2.5 sheets. Hopefully that's a bit of help!

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

Progress on the feet! Will be heading to Perth to visit some friends and family in about a week, and I'll be gaining access to a laser cutter! Gonna be cutting out the rest of the parts more accurately.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
SCULPTING IS DONE. loving finally.

There's a big spiral thing that goes on top that's all done too, but I made it out of clay so it doesn't need the texture smoothing coats and I'm going to attach it once the worbla has been surfaced. The new rearmost horn is less accurate than my first one but I can turn my head without getting stuck on the backplate so we're going with it! I think the look is still right and I prefer the horns closer together than the more accurate shape, I think my version looks more unified. I also added cuffs around the base of all 3 horns and did the raised detail on the back 2 horns, now it's time for wood filler and glue coats (and Harry Potter, as seen behind me). I am SO EXCITED to tap into some metallic paints this weekend, poo poo yes.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Hilda is as done as she is getting for this con. I need to fix the pauldron edging, redo some of the belt pieces, and raise the bottom ribbon but there is just no time for all of that now. Other then that I think it came out well for being so rushed to finish it and Zelda in a few weeks. I was supposed to have more help but my friend is new so it was a lot of trial and error for her. I think she improved a lot during the process though. Hopefully we can get some cool shots together at the con so I can share better than crappy cell phone pics.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Hilda is as done as she is getting for this con. I need to fix the pauldron edging, redo some of the belt pieces, and raise the bottom ribbon but there is just no time for all of that now. Other then that I think it came out well for being so rushed to finish it and Zelda in a few weeks. I was supposed to have more help but my friend is new so it was a lot of trial and error for her. I think she improved a lot during the process though. Hopefully we can get some cool shots together at the con so I can share better than crappy cell phone pics.

This turned out great!! I've been drooling over the Hyrule Warriors Zelda design and now it's getting worse, THANKS A LOT :P

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

This turned out great!! I've been drooling over the Hyrule Warriors Zelda design and now it's getting worse, THANKS A LOT :P

Hahah I am eyeing that Hyrule Warriors Sheik design but I may put it off a while there is just so much I am hyped up about right now. Plus I don't really have anyone to do it with me here local.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I feel like a scrub who keeps asking this thread for advice, but I want to know what type of material this guy used for his coat

Doesn't seem like vinyl and I like the look of it ( Also hoping I can be as ripped as this guy by may).

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

McPantserton posted:

worbla stuff

Thanks! I'm expecting a heat gun to arrive in the mail tomorrow. My poor clothes iron can only do so much with craft foam.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Monaghan posted:

I feel like a scrub who keeps asking this thread for advice, but I want to know what type of material this guy used for his coat

Doesn't seem like vinyl and I like the look of it ( Also hoping I can be as ripped as this guy by may).

Worbla the Abs, you'll be right.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Got some pictures back from my friend PrairieSquid. I think I did good.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Steroids and shading.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Got some pictures back from my friend PrairieSquid. I think I did good.

Looks amazing! Only thing I'd do next time would be maybe add some makeup or paint to the ear so it matches the skin tone a little better.

Love the embroidery on the front!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Looks amazing! Only thing I'd do next time would be maybe add some makeup or paint to the ear so it matches the skin tone a little better.

Love the embroidery on the front!

Thanks! Yea I need to work on my ear game I am so lazy about it. And the front of the tabard is actually heat press vinyl. I wanted embroidery but it was super expensive and this looks nice as well. Plus the triforce is shimmery.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My mom owns like 2 or 3 multi thousand dollar embroidery machines for her hobby of making coasters and table cloths and placemats, and let me tell ya, it LOOKS embroidered. You did a hell of a job :)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Thanks! Yea I need to work on my ear game I am so lazy about it. And the front of the tabard is actually heat press vinyl. I wanted embroidery but it was super expensive and this looks nice as well. Plus the triforce is shimmery.

Could you share what you did and what brand and such you used, because that looks absolutely amazing.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

Could you share what you did and what brand and such you used, because that looks absolutely amazing.
It's really not to complex I took a vector image to my local print shop and they did the rest ran me about 30 bucks. The girl that does it there is awesome and cuts me some slack when I come in and I'm like "think you can do this in a few days". If they had been cotton I would have probably just hand painted the designs on there but the paint slides on the satin and I just didn't trust myself to do it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My mom owns like 2 or 3 multi thousand dollar embroidery machines for her hobby of making coasters and table cloths and placemats, and let me tell ya, it LOOKS embroidered. You did a hell of a job :)

Haha then success! I was hoping it wouldn't look to off.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
One step closer.

If I was smart I would have modeled the pullcord handle and done them at the same time, but I think I can find an actual handle that matches.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Went to Supanova Brisbane back in November. It was the first time actually making an outfit, and only now am I talking about it because it was cosplay tragedy from hell.

The second I stepped out the car, the poorly secured strap for my bag fell into a drain. Outfit was hot as poo poo, got told to disassemble my massive staff by the massive staff (built to be collapsible so no biggie), the glasses got stepped on, the head of my staff shattered, got frustrated and just changed into spare clothes. As I'm pulling off the shirt, my entry band snapped so I had to go to front and get a new one. Couldn't carry a broken cosplay with me all day so I thought "gently caress this I'm here to have fun" and just dumped everything except the broach of my cape. This was the first hour, spent the rest of the day taking photos and listening to WETA workshop presentations. Went home and built Gundams to hold back the shame and nerdtears. Oh and the only photo I have of it was a pre-con bathroom selfie that didn't cloud sync properly. It was Shiroe from Log Horizon.

This will not deter me. Starting uni in two weeks, there's a cosplay club so I'll try my hand at cosplay again.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
Hello Brisbanefriend! There are also cosplay interested people at the Brisbane Hackerspace. I went to the Tuesday Open Night for the first time last week and the place was full of tools, machines, knowledge and nice geeks of all persuasions. Apparently some kind of cosplay workshop group thing is being set up. I really want to learn how to wire up simple circuits for LEDs and 3d print some things.

I too, was traumatized but also really inspired by November's Supanova and my subsequent full read of this thread. I realized I have no excuse for never having made a costume and also that I am a lazy prick who has never made or achieved anything of merit ever (Grant Imahara's presentation helped rub this in). Going to fix that by making something cool for Gold Coast Supanova , but I am much better at giving myself lovely excuses than working on it. Raided Lincraft, Spotlight and Clark Rubber and made a start but stalled hard. I would describe my plan and show progress if it was any more than odd bits of foam and hot glue.

I am sure trying and failing is much less shameful than realizing you have spent your life never trying at all. Oh boy, that was a few nights tossing and turning in self-hatred. Anyway, if you have the means to get there and don't live way too far from away I suggest coming to the open night this coming Tuesday. I didn't go this week, but I'll make sure I go this coming Tues if you plan to. I'm going to try to work on my costume this weekend and have something worth posting about.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

First time poster, long time reader. I have a few projects in the pipeline with my buddy Mustard Snobbery.

The first is for us to dress as Tin Tin (he's 6.4 and ginger) and Captain Haddock (I'm shorter, got a bit of a gut, and can grow a reasonable beard and style my hair like his)

But yeah. Just sorta posting to say there will be some photos when I get around to a few of my projects:

The Courier (Fallout NV)
Something from 40K (I'm leaning toward a Commissar at this stage, or a Noise Marine)
A Corpsman from Attack on Titan

For what it's worth, I also own a 3d printer so can make a lot of the smaller meta items from things like fallout. I've actually printed a laser pistol and a pip boy from 3, I just haven't got around to assembling it. That, and I want to wire in proper electronics and make them work.
The other one I want to do is a fallout 3 one, with the railway rifle. Because that poo poo owned, and I have a printable model of it that I could get something wired into to make a full on sound making thing.

ScottyWired posted:

Supanova Brisbane

Look Right posted:

Brisbanefriend! Supanova

By any chance did you see hungover Mario and Luigi with a tall redhead on the Sunday? That's me, another friend, and MS.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Aaaaand done!

I want to do one last round of white paint to make totally sure it's all fully opaque, then I'll clearcoat it and put the beaded parts on. Soooo happy with how the helmet came out, and soooo happy to be finished with the costume.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

McPantserton posted:

Aaaaand done!

I want to do one last round of white paint to make totally sure it's all fully opaque, then I'll clearcoat it and put the beaded parts on. Soooo happy with how the helmet came out, and soooo happy to be finished with the costume.

It's always such a delight to see your progress. I just love your work~

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

foxatee posted:

It's always such a delight to see your progress. I just love your work~

Aaaa thank you :blush: I love this thread so much.

So I finally got to wear my sexy poisonous snail hat at Anime Milwaukee this weekend and you guys, I DROPPED IT on Friday. :gonk: The middle horn broke way up at the top and I had to emergency repair it and it was so loving stressful. Thank glob I brought my glue gun and all the paint I needed to fix it. :gonk:

My husband dressed up as Headmaster Cid with me because hey, themed handler on Valentine's Day :3:

Also gotta give credit, my friend V from Verssen Werks did my fabulous makeup for me (gold puffy paint! Who would have thought?) and my bro Colin from Break Point Z did my photos and I'm dying of joy, omg.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 16, 2015

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
That sounds like a nightmare!

I'm super excited about the Cosplay First-Aid stations that are popping up at cons that provide access to sewing machines, adhesives, and all kinds of supplies. Of course, there's no way to cover every contingency, but it's cool that clever stuff like this is happening.

Someday there will just be an instant 3D printer there and everyone will just carry around their files for backup.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Boomerjinks posted:

I'm super excited about the Cosplay First-Aid stations that are popping up at cons that provide access to sewing machines, adhesives, and all kinds of supplies. Of course, there's no way to cover every contingency, but it's cool that clever stuff like this is happening.

Someday there will just be an instant 3D printer there and everyone will just carry around their files for backup.

They had this at Katsucon this weekend. I thought it was quite nifty.

I dressed up as the main character from Kiki's Delivery Service! My first cosplay and I felt so awkward. Maybe I'm not cut out for this kind of attention. :blush:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Boomerjinks posted:

There was some serious ugly-crying, I'll tell you. And drinking. And more crying. If I hadn't brought my magenta paint I'd've been so hosed. I love the idea of the cosplay repair stations, I've definitely had other cosplayers come up to my room to use normal repair stuff like hot glue/tape/etc. and it's such a good idea for those things to just be around and available as cosplay gets more popular. We deffo ended up borderline stealing some tape from the con staff for a friend of ours during the masquerade after somebody broke her gun, womp womp...

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Haha, last year at Anime Milwaukee I had to help a lady in a Yuna outfit re-sew a button to her skirt in the bathroom because she was admittedly too drunk for the dexterity required. Good times, Milwaukee. I always bring a tiny kit with a needle, thread, rubber bands, super glue, nail clippers, spirit gum, safety pins, bobby pins, hand sanitizer, and bandaids.

Now hand that kit off to a guy with a blonde mullet and a leather jacket and you've got a very convincing MacGyver cosplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Needs a paperclip :colbert: