Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Det_no posted:

No, that's just a dumb leap of logic on your part. I'm saying it's stupid pretending that the Tiger can penetrate anything anywhere or that the stock model ain't a painful grind with its brittle turret/cannon, a frontal transmission prone to fires and a gun that's not even reliable at long ranges until you research the adjustment of fire upgrade.

im sorry to hear that the tiger has the same problems as almost every other tank. that must be hard for you

Azran posted:

I thought the 76mm Sherman could penetrate the Tiger's front at point blank range? Or do I need APCR for this?
APBC can penetrate the Tiger's flat glacis at knifefight range if you're perpendicular, but sometimes it won't for mysterios reasons. If their gun isn't knocked out you'd better start praying.

Also if you want APCR you need the Jumbo 76 or the M4A3, and if you're using the latter you pay an extra .7 BR for the privilege.

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

I thought the 76mm Sherman could penetrate the Tiger's front at point blank range? Or do I need APCR for this? Because holy poo poo this was a rude surprise. Alongside with the PzIV/70, these two generate a lot of "welp, may as well press J" moments when I face them with no chance of flanking.

Also in Tigerchat I'll just say I'm coming around to the idea that it was basically the best heavy tank in the world in 1942.

You can pen the Tiger's hull frontally at sub 100m ranges, but he can't be angled much. The turret is another beast and has strong and weak points, just look at it in armor mode and run your cursor over the mantlet. If the Tiger is in "meal time" position, you are hosed and are better off pulling back or trying to flank.

Edit:

M79 shot will help ensure frontal penetrations in the sub 500m range, but it has no HE filler, meaning you probably need to shoot for the drivers hatch and hope you get the gunner too.

But again, if the Tiger is angling his reichangle, you probably shouldn't try shooting it out with him.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 16, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

I thought the 76mm Sherman could penetrate the Tiger's front at point blank range? .

Tigers are very good, but possible to kill. Some :goonsay: says any Sherman can wreck their fronts but they are wrong.

Best bet is to either outright flank them or try to gently caress up their gun or driver and then flank.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

FaustianQ posted:

Yet despite all this, the Tigers BR is loving plummeting and the Panther is holding steady.

That's because noone plays Panthers to push the BR down and Germany is the American pilots of GF.

All they do is snipe and then complain when they lose because of that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, our guns were touching - I had no engine and he was repairing his barrel. Since I had no repair parts because lol Ground Forces, I tried to shoot the driver and the slit would eat the shell, while shooting at the gunner's position would do no damage. It was pretty terrible. Then he repaired and shot me.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Azran posted:

I thought the 76mm Sherman could penetrate the Tiger's front at point blank range? Or do I need APCR for this? Because holy poo poo this was a rude surprise. Alongside with the PzIV/70, these two generate a lot of "welp, may as well press J" moments when I face them with no chance of flanking.

Also in Tigerchat I'll just say I'm coming around to the idea that it was basically the best heavy tank in the world in 1942.

On paper it should. In practice you might need the M79 shot to do it with ease and the M93 to do it at comfortable ranges.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Azran posted:

Yeah, our guns were touching - I had no engine and he was repairing his barrel. Since I had no repair parts because lol Ground Forces, I tried to shoot the driver and the slit would eat the shell, while shooting at the gunner's position would do no damage. It was pretty terrible. Then he repaired and shot me.

The driver's slit is extra-armoured. :iiam:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Fart Car '97 posted:

That's not a thing you can do. It should be, but it's not.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, he wasn't shooting at me. :shrug:

It is a thing you can do, hold the I button sometime (I've bound mine to F because barrel damage), and you'll watch crew jump around inside a tank to fill dead crew spots. I mean, no you're not killing the gunner again, he'd have to be a zombie - you're actually killing a radioman/commander/loader in that order (usually, some tanks seem to have different crew position priorities, like the loving Hetzer and StuGs).

If you ice the crew down to just the gunner and driver, killing either one regardless of anything else will knockout the tank, the gunner and driver positions must be filled. This is why knocking out TDs tends to be so hilariously easy - 3 of 4 crewmen sit in a row behind a glaringly obvious weakpoint.

Taerkar posted:

That's because noone plays Panthers to push the BR down and Germany is the American pilots of GF.

All they do is snipe and then complain when they lose because of that.

I ended up fighting a Tiger on Poland Break you sat outside his spawn, because he needs to protect the AAA and prevent the allies from spawncamping. GJ Tiger, I'm sure your team appreciated you doing loving nothing.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Thief posted:

You can still BnZ in a Zero :ssh:

That's what I tried first and my experience was basically....

Azure Renraku posted:

Can be hard to do when your wings are held on with office supplies and your control surfaces lose authority in a stiff breeze.

I only play in realistic and by T4 even most pubbies have learned the basics of energy fighting. The picture all this is adding up to form is basically: The Zero - Bad at everything but turning, but a great plane to use when your opponents are literally retarded. I didn't really have a problem seal clubbing or dodging booms, the problem was how to actually get a bead on a competent energy fighter and the answer seems to be "just hope they don't exist."

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sard posted:

If you're wondering how some of these shells compare: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/207377-comparison-7675mm-guns-in-mid-tier-between-usussrger/

Guess which one is the PzGr 39/42 75mm and which one is the M62 76mm and there's your biggest reason for people not using the Panther much. Panther still works though with some decent aim.

That barely loving matters in practice, what does matter is that the 76 Sherman can send 2 shots down range and be half way done reloading the 3rd by the time the Panther gets its second shot chambered.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

BBJoey posted:

The driver's slit is extra-armoured. :iiam:

To be honest I haven't even checked most tank's armoured profiles, I just know to aim to the sides of the barrel, then the driver slit - maybe the glacis and the turret ring in some cases, and that's a rule I follow 100% of the time till it stops working on a certain model :v:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mondian posted:

I only play in realistic and by T4 even most pubbies have learned the basics of energy fighting. The picture all this is adding up to form is basically: The Zero - Bad at everything but turning, but a great plane to use when your opponents are literally retarded. I didn't really have a problem seal clubbing or dodging booms, the problem was how to actually get a bead on a competent energy fighter and the answer seems to be "just hope they don't exist."

This is why I always jump on Mumble and find at least one goon to team up with; even if you're in a "lovely" fighter, with a little team work you can really gently caress up some pubbies in comparison to just soloing your matches.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

I ended up fighting a Tiger on Poland Break you sat outside his spawn, because he needs to protect the AAA and prevent the allies from spawncamping. GJ Tiger, I'm sure your team appreciated you doing loving nothing.

For every dude that does nothing there's some shitlord who parks his tank 100 meters behind his spawn looking at his cap point who does nothing for the first half of the match and then single handedly wipes half the enemy team as the trickle into the cap points in groups of 1 and 2

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Yeah, the best way to really enjoy the Zero in Realistic Battles is to get another player who has the same Zero and join in. You can coordinate and get a BnZ as he tries to dive on you, and your wingman comes in and hits him as he tries to climb back up. I had a friend finally unlock a Zero and he finally got to try out RB with me and we had a lot of fun.

Still, as a person who loves the A6M5 Ko a lot, I still enjoy fighting in it. For the other Japanese planes, I find the Army fighters to not be as good as the Zero itself until you get the KI-43 III. It is such a fun plane to fly. The KI-45 is hilarious especially with the 37mm where you can one shot planes.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

RE: Zeros:
A6M3 - 2
F8F - 0

Pubbies are dumb (especially F8F pilots) and that was the most fun furball. I really wish I had shadowplay or somshit.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Tip for killing stronger tanks:

You know how if you shoot a hill, you can see the shell fly off as it ricochets?

Did you know that if you shoot a shell that bounces right in front of a Tiger's lower glacis from a Sherman 75 or 76 that it will bounce up into the lower glacis at a flat angle or through the lower hull lighting his lovely tank on fire?

This applies to every tank in the game, but it is exceptionally effective against Nazi junk because the transmissions and flammable bits are near the front bottom of the tank.

This also helps in instances when you are in a shootout with a JP4/70 while driving your Sherman 76, just bounce 3 shells into the bottom of his tank and drive off as he burns to death.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I got a kill on a tank tonight with perpendicular flank shot that hit the track, under the chasis and between two wheels. The shot ricocheted up just a few degrees, enough to cross under the tank to the other track, where it detonated, throwing shrapnel upwards where it blow the ammo from underneath the tank. This game is loving cool sometimes.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Burno posted:

You know how if you shoot a hill, you can see the shell fly off as it ricochets?

Did you know that if you shoot a shell that bounces right in front of a Tiger's lower glacis from a Sherman 75 or 76 that it will bounce up into the lower glacis at a flat angle or through the lower hull lighting his lovely tank on fire?

This applies to every tank in the game, but it is exceptionally effective against Nazi junk because the transmissions and flammable bits are near the front bottom of the tank.

This also helps in instances when you are in a shootout with a JP4/70 while driving your Sherman 76, just bounce 3 shells into the bottom of his tank and drive off as he burns to death.

For the Jagdpanzer and the Hetzer you don't even need to bounce it off the ground. Even with the 75mm Sherman you can pump rounds into the lower plate from 500m or less and start a transmission fire every single time

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Bolow posted:

For the Jagdpanzer and the Hetzer you don't even need to bounce it off the ground. Even with the 75mm Sherman you can pump rounds into the lower plate from 500m or less and start a transmission fire every single time

I am talking 1000-1500m+ killing

Shells wont even bounce off the ground at 500m it looks like, it has to be really far for it to happen.

Burno fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 16, 2015

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Mondian posted:

Do you also only play alone because it seems you are forgetting that this is a game where teamwork is the only genuinely OP thing. There are only a handful of planes in this game that are so bad that they are not competitive and this certainly is not one of them.

Being absolutely untouchable without having to rely on either altitude or energy is an amazing strength to have at the cost of not being able to choose when you fight. It is a perfect mirror to energy fighters. If you can follow the flow of the active players then you'll probably have more fun. They are the 2nd best plane to be in during a furball unless other enemy Zeroes are present then it is the best plane to be in. It is so perfectly suited to the style of playing that roughly 99% of pubbies try to do which is to fly right to the center of the map and fight whoever is there.

Later in the game where you will be up against Yak-3s, P-51s, F8Fs and motherfucking Tempests the role of the Zero becomes less about flying straight in and loving everyone up and more about picking up loose ends that the N1Ks/Ki-84s and even Hiens miss. You can position yourself anywhere you want in relation to your teammates to assist them. Offset your potential attack lines so that they intersect with the plane they're chasing but doesn't waste manpower in a pure 2v1 conga line situation. From here the only option for the enemy will be to run and your faster teammates will chase them and catch them at lower altitudes where you can casually come back into play, often without even being noticed, and get the killing blow against an unsuspecting target. Even if they do notice you, the natural reaction for most players with their back against the deck is to say gently caress it and try to turnfight and take at least one of your guys with them.

The only time a Zero loses in a 1v1 situation is where both players are of equal and competent skill level and the attacker has half an hour worth of patience in them to continually reset until one of their BnZ attacks finally lines up. The chances of this happening before you get to the safety of your Carriers/AAA and deadlocking the game are extremely rare compared to how often you will get to zip zing around the nearest furball.

The Zero owns not because it is better but because it is so different. But most players don't seem to enjoy them until they have finally unlocked the final upgrade that is high octane Spitfire tears. :japan:

edit: it's also worth noting that the Zero is probably the best stall fighter in the entire game. Other strengths include being able to survive fires and other severe damage yet still have enough control to land on a carrier for full repairs. There used to be a bug where you could even land them with one wing shot off. It's not nearly that crazy anymore but Japanese planes in general are very friendly to fly if your paper wings manage to survive any glancing blows from horrific allied weapons.

Thief fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 16, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

HoboMan posted:

RE: Zeros:
A6M3 - 2
F8F - 0

Pubbies are dumb (especially F8F pilots) and that was the most fun furball. I really wish I had shadowplay or somshit.

Zeros loving own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHn3O9ROckU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x4urr4PtOk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIslbdEQ0UY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO6afKV20Zc

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
If you're having issues with the Zero in regular RB, play it during the various Pacific events to face even dumber/lower-tier fighter opposition, not to mention the SBD/TBF special needs donkey brigade.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thief posted:

Do you also only play alone because it seems you are forgetting that this is a game where teamwork is the only genuinely OP thing. There are only a handful of planes in this game that are so bad that they are not competitive and this certainly is not one of them.

It isn't just that fighting with buddies is powerful, fighting RB with buddies is *fun*. It takes a lot of the impatient edge off climbing and setting up when you can chatter with each other and yell at each other for help.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

http://gfycat.com/CaringMistyIchneumonfly
People in the event fly REALLY straight. I could understand if it was the sim mode, but I see it in the realistic mode too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So, can anyone here use Hispano airbelts? Ever since they got introduced they've been sitting at 0/80 rounds for me.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

You have to manually refill the ammo. On every plane with the new belts. Individually. It's stupid.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

And you can only do that outside a match because gently caress you xaxaxa.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

No, I try not to fly alone any more than I have to. Not that that is relevant, since "fly with a wingman" is the ideal advice for any scenario, not just this one

Thief posted:

The only time a Zero loses in a 1v1 situation is where both players are of equal and competent skill level and the attacker has half an hour worth of patience in them to continually reset until one of their BnZ attacks finally lines up. The chances of this happening before you get to the safety of your Carriers/AAA and deadlocking the game are extremely rare compared to how often you will get to zip zing around the nearest furball.

This is the crux of my problem. I don't deny that the Zero is perfect for killing idiots, but you don't really need a special plane for that. Everything that's been said about it is that its great because other people are bad and then everyone leaves out the part about how a fight against someone competent boils down to dodging fire until they get bored. So the plane is bad at virtually everything and the best strategy is to dodge bullets and hope the guy with his finger on the trigger is a moron, yet its a great plane :confused:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Mondian posted:

No, I try not to fly alone any more than I have to. Not that that is relevant, since "fly with a wingman" is the ideal advice for any scenario, not just this one

This is the crux of my problem. I don't deny that the Zero is perfect for killing idiots, but you don't really need a special plane for that. Everything that's been said about it is that its great because other people are bad and then everyone leaves out the part about how a fight against someone competent boils down to dodging fire until they get bored. So the plane is bad at virtually everything and the best strategy is to dodge bullets and hope the guy with his finger on the trigger is a moron, yet its a great plane :confused:

The Zero's a great plane because it can outturn everything and dodge everything until you finally get unlucky. I don't find them particularly fun to fly because they're so slow but when a plane is the best at something it's kinda... the best at that thing. In this case, that thing is turning on the deck forever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mondian posted:

It's a great plane in the same way the T-34 was a great tank. It didn't have the highest quality everything, it wasn't the fastest, but it fit the situation like a glove. Russia needed a fuckload of tanks so they made three fuckloads to be sure they had enough. The Nazis ran out of tanks first. It also helped that the Soviet tanks were downright better

The Zero in War Thunder isn't going to be the highest-flying, fastest-diving heaviest-gunned airbeast of the sky, but it's good at killing the vast majority of people you run into because the vast majority of people you run into are goddamn retards. If even 10% of the players you meet are the fabled smart person you refer to, you're still going 9-1 in what you're calling a bad plane. It fits the situation like a glove because people will naturally revert to turn fights and the Zero is the turniest of them all.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 16, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

It's a great plane in the same way the T-34 was a great tank. It didn't have the highest quality everything, it wasn't the fastest, but it fit the situation like a glove. Russia needed a fuckload of tanks so they made three fuckloads to be sure they had enough. The Nazis ran out of tanks first.

The Zero in War Thunder isn't going to be the highest-flying, fastest-diving heaviest-gunned airbeast of the sky, but it's good at killing the vast majority of people you run into because the vast majority of people you run into are goddamn retards. If even 10% of the players you meet are the fabled smart person you refer to, you're still going 9-1 in what you're calling a bad plane. It fits the situation like a glove because people will naturally revert to turn fights and the Zero is the turniest of them all.

The Zero divides by Zero in turn fights.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

YellerBill posted:

The Zero's a great plane because it can outturn everything and dodge everything until you finally get unlucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3dl9aNNPgE

I guess that ending is "unlucky" :v:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Fart Car '97 posted:

For every dude that does nothing there's some shitlord who parks his tank 100 meters behind his spawn looking at his cap point who does nothing for the first half of the match and then single handedly wipes half the enemy team as the trickle into the cap points in groups of 1 and 2

I'm glad you could decipher that out of the word vomit I accidentally typed. And yes, it's beyond irritating to see Tigers especially do this, because it's what gets them loving killed. You get 1-3 shitlords camping near spawn/cap and everyone else moves forward, but it's been beaten and blasted into the skulls of allies to swarm like the loving zerg, so those who take a more active role get surrounded and knocked out.

Just had another game trying to get my Whirbelwind, and I outscored the vast majority of Tigers in a BR 5.7 game in my Panzer IV Ausf G by a factor of 5. I don't even loving know anymore man.

Burno posted:

Someone gif a pool trickshot into a series of exploding tanks.

Mischievous Mink posted:

http://gfycat.com/CaringMistyIchneumonfly
People in the event fly REALLY straight. I could understand if it was the sim mode, but I see it in the realistic mode too.

All Shermans have 25° gun elevation, it's too bad they don't have a .50 M2 coax, although I at least hope they make the AAAHMG an unlockable for all Shermans to make up for the piss poor AAA they get.

The Lee gets 80° on the 37mm and .30 M1919 which actually makes it better than the M15 AAA, loving lol.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
smoke / WP rounds, will they ever model these in ground forces? I've found a couple of threads on the official forums, but nothing like a response from the devs. Just a load of people whinging about how it would lower their FPS.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 16, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So I have just started playing this and it's like Red Orchestra tanks had a baby with WoT and I quite like how it plays. Naturally I am going for glorious USSR tanks to being with.

The T-34 is just hilarious fun as you can just armor troll the poo poo out of everyone you meet as you slam 76.2mm rounds into thier Nazi poo poo boxes. Just ask Shanakian how many 6 to 10 kill games I got :v: The leap from T-50 was a bit painful however as that 45mm stops cutting the butter at that level.

Is it just me or is money not at all a concern for this game even without premium? I have not been tracking my spending at all and have been amassing cash steadily.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It can potentially become a minor issue if you want to get expert crew on everything. On a match-to-match basis it's pretty tough to actually lose money, though, since repairs are dirt cheap even at T5.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Xerxes17 posted:

So I have just started playing this and it's like Red Orchestra tanks had a baby with WoT and I quite like how it plays. Naturally I am going for glorious USSR tanks to being with.

The T-34 is just hilarious fun as you can just armor troll the poo poo out of everyone you meet as you slam 76.2mm rounds into thier Nazi poo poo boxes. Just ask Shanakian how many 6 to 10 kill games I got :v: The leap from T-50 was a bit painful however as that 45mm stops cutting the butter at that level.

Is it just me or is money not at all a concern for this game even without premium? I have not been tracking my spending at all and have been amassing cash steadily.

It's a non issue if you don't die. If you're pulling in a positive KDR you'll never be strapped for cash. Silver Lions are really just a way to penalize bad players.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's a non issue if you don't die. If you're pulling in a positive KDR you'll never be strapped for cash. Silver Lions are really just a way to penalize bad players.

And that's honestly one of my favorite parts of War Thunder. In World of Tanks I was always grinding currency and barely breaking even on ammo and repair costs in high tier games shooting lots of premium ammo probably didn't help also i'm really bad at WoT

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
Why does the SU-122 have such lovely muzzle velocity? It's like firing a medieval mortar or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Why does the SU-122 have such lovely muzzle velocity? It's like firing a medieval mortar or something.

I think it's because the shell weighs like 40kg.

• Locked thread