Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

Wait what? I never heard about this. Holy poo poo that is nuts.

http://batman.wikibruce.com/Timeline posted:

Participants who submitted a phone number with their tip are called by someone who sounds like Man 2 in the December 1 sting operation, threatening them if they "squeal." At the end of the message, document number LC6551 is mentioned. A rough transcript follows.

We heard about your nice little message at the DA's office. I know you have some big ideas about being a good citizen but nobody likes a squealer. Nobody, you hear me?

You don't know anything about what you're talking about. They're out there. They're out there. Listening to lip, putting their lives on the line. He's working in the middle of the night and you're laying in your bed.

You see what happens next time you need one of the boys in blue. These people that you are getting all misty eyed about : you think about who they are, you think about how they might have brought it on themselves. You think about who you want on your side.

You want to know what the score really is? Check out document LC6551. You know where to look.

No dad, a cop didn't threaten you, it was this internet thing! Trust me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

quote:

We Are Robin shows how Batman has so many Robins. It’s how Batman has affected the youth of Gotham, the very existence of Robin is now being crowd sourced. Rather Brat Pack…

I love that now convergence finally gets to erase the really dumb "10 years of Robins" now and this is when they choose to address it. They choose to address it after it shouldn't matter. Or am I just confusing this with a new concept

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

I love that now convergence finally gets to erase the really dumb "10 years of Robins" now and this is when they choose to address it. They choose to address it after it shouldn't matter. Or am I just confusing this with a new concept

We aren't getting any continuity shifts out of Convergence that we know of.

e: Emphasis on the 'that we know of.' We don't have any solicits for July yet. Maybe Renee Montoya Question jumps out of Convergence into Justice League United.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 15, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Teenage Fansub posted:

We aren't getting any continuity shifts out of Convergence that we know of.
So it's just the other universes colliding? I figured they'd attempt to clean up stuff too.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Flameingblack posted:

We Are Robin seems to be about the idea of Robin as a symbol of heroism and goodwill to young teens in Gotham, the same way Batman is a symbol against corruption and crime. If Gotham Academy is "Harry Potter but in Gotham City", then We Are Robin is looking to be "The Goonies but in Gotham City" from what I gather.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

lotus circle posted:

If Gotham Academy is "Harry Potter but in Gotham City", then We Are Robin is looking to be "The Goonies but in Gotham City" from what I gather.

"Robins never say die, we just die"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

lotus circle posted:

We Are Robin seems to be about the idea of Robin as a symbol of heroism and goodwill to young teens in Gotham, the same way Batman is a symbol against corruption and crime. If Gotham Academy is "Harry Potter but in Gotham City", then We Are Robin is looking to be "The Goonies but in Gotham City" from what I gather.

Finally, the time is right for my Robynz pitch, where Robin becomes an urban legend type character that inspires several hip Urban teens to band together under his inspirational banner, to rid their community of street level crimes.

Ricky is the experienced team leader who loves dancing and gymnastics. Battle Style: HipHopoeira.
JZone is the brash one who skateboards. Battle style: Red berzerker
TimmyD is the smartmouth gamer nerd. Battle style: tactical espionage action.
Damien 'Diablo' Diaz is the Hispanic latchkey kiddo, barely in 6th grade but always looking to impress JZone. Battle style: bratitude

And then you have the Twynz, Cass and Steff, the tech-savvy GrrrlPower feminists who keep the crew together.

Robynz. We don't die. We multiply.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 16, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Not going to bother giving Rich traffic, but apparently a recent retailer convention revealed that Geoff Johns is only going to be writing one comic from this point forward.

How the times change.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

FilthyImp posted:

Finally, the time is right for my Robynz pitch, where Robin becomes an urban legend type character that inspires several hip Urban teens to band together under his inspirational banner, to rid their community of street level crimes.

Ricky is the experienced team leader who loves dancing and gymnastics. Battle Style: HipHopoeira.
JZone is the brash one who skateboards. Battle style: Red berzerker
TimmyD is the smartmouth gamer nerd. Battle style: tactical espionage action.
Damien 'Diablo' is the Hispanic latchkey kiddo, barely in 6th grade but always looking to impress JZone. Battle style: bratitude

And then you have the Twynz, Cass and Steff, the tech-savvy GrrrlPower feminists who keep the crew together.

Robynz. We don't die. We multiply.

Gotham City Impostors is so loving canon now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Semper Fudge posted:

Not going to bother giving Rich traffic, but apparently a recent retailer convention revealed that Geoff Johns is only going to be writing one comic from this point forward.

How the times change.

Oh. No.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I would hope his hint at working on something with Gary Frank would be something other than Batman Earth One.

"At the DC retailer roadshow at Orlando on Friday, a retailer asked about this and was told that Justice League will be his only monthly comic book going forward" could just mean transitioning into July. I hope so. He's much better writing for a character than a team.

e: Read Multiversity:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=26095

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 15, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I hope in the future Jim Lee will be remembered for three things: X-Men, the Hush storyline and drawing Hitler taking a dump while reading a comic with Superman punching him on the cover.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Mortal Kombat X keeps being pretty good. And Kotal Kahn is becoming my favorite new character.

Still (and I know is kind of a silly thing to get upset by), I'm incredibly dissapointed at Netherrealm for taking the Matyinctec route with him.

As I mentioned before, the guys obviously did their research while designing him. So it baffles me the decision of making him the Mayan god of sacrifice (and of Mayans in the middle of the loving Amazon to boot) :cripes:

The only thing they needed to do was to change Mayans for Aztecs and Buluc for Huitzilopochtli.

Why Netherrealm, why?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Nah, that's a rational thing to get upset about. It's actually kind of racist to mix and match cultures like that, which also happens with Asia a lot.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

WickedHate posted:

Nah, that's a rational thing to get upset about. It's actually kind of racist to mix and match cultures like that, which also happens with Asia a lot.

Whoaaaa Chinese ninja warrior
With your heart so cold
Sub-Zeroooo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Superstring posted:

Whoaaaa Chinese ninja warrior
With your heart so cold
Sub-Zeroooo

Well, they tried to improve things over the time (making the brothers sons of a chinese family, the change of names and so on).

Maybe for the next reboot they will also improve Kotal :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

As I mentioned before, the guys obviously did their research while designing him. So it baffles me the decision of making him the Mayan god of sacrifice (and of Mayans in the middle of the loving Amazon to boot) :cripes:

The only thing they needed to do was to change Mayans for Aztecs and Buluc for Huitzilopochtli.

Why Netherrealm, why?

All that research of looking at Tekken long enough to steal Ogre's design. No seriously, fight games research goes as far as "What did I see in other fight game that looked cool" then pulling a few photos for reference of what they're based on from GIS and then drawing.

Fight Games character design is incestuous to the point of in jokes making fun of this have become full fledge characters who were then ripped offed or parodied in another fighting game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Remember when they literally called a character Ken Masters internally?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Remember SNK(?) ripped off Ryu and he sucked thus Capcom created Dan as a joke.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All that research of looking at Tekken long enough to steal Ogre's design. No seriously, fight games research goes as far as "What did I see in other fight game that looked cool" then pulling a few photos for reference of what they're based on from GIS and then drawing.

Fight Games character design is incestuous to the point of in jokes making fun of this have become full fledge characters who were then ripped offed or parodied in another fighting game.

I find that hard to believe when Kotal shares so many elements with Huitzilopochtli: blue skinned, Sun deity, feeds on human hearts, incredibly protecting of his people/family, the Macahuitl is a weapin only found within the Aztecs.

There's also the fact that Ogre it is a mix and match of Mesoamerican/south american elements while Kotal's overall design retains a lot of influence from Aztec elements (the helmet, the bones, the marks on his chest).

I might be giving them way too much credit but they got so many things right to be pure coincidence.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I might be giving them way too much credit but they got so many things right to be pure coincidence.

ImpAtom posted:

You 100% are. Like all that 'research' can be done with a 2 minute look on GIS for "Aztec Warrior". Have you never seen a Netherrealm game before? They've made a legacy of making bad metal cover versions of other fighting game characters and big tittied palette swaps of the same model.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 16, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

You 100% are. Like all that 'research' can be done with a 2 minute look on GIS for "Aztec Warrior".

To be fair with the "Ken Masters" thing, that was an internal joke.

And well, I wonder what kind of Google search they did to get Buluc Chabtan, it is a pretty obscure deity. I'm an archeologist and I didn't knew of him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

To be fair with the "Ken Masters" thing, that was an internal joke.

And well, I wonder what kind of Google search they did to get Buluc Chabtan, it is a pretty obscure deity. I'm an archeologist and I didn't knew of him.

A) It's less an internal joke and more a sad admission of artistic bankruptcy what with the character looking just like Ken Masters.

B) Wikipedia-> List of Maya Gods -> CTRL-F "War" or "Violence". You just not thinking lazy enough.

EDIT: Also just a quick hunt around the internet pegs Buluc as a Mayan god and not an Aztec one. Is there something I 'm just not seeing or were you mistaken when you said he's based on Aztec stuff and not a mishmash of random stuff? Oh wait I was mixing up where you were talking about Ogre not Kotol.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 16, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

It was Ben Masters if I recall. A gaming magazine took a screenshot of that and was all like STREET FIGHTER CROSSOVER CONFIRMED! and Netherrealms was enraged.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Remember SNK(?) ripped off Ryu and he sucked thus Capcom created Dan as a joke.

Actually the same guy designed both characters which is why they look so much alike. Also Ryo Sakazaki is way cooler than Ryu
:goonsay:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

Actually the same guy designed both characters which is why they look so much alike. Also Ryo Sakazaki is way cooler than Ryu

Ryu doesn't have much personality in the games, which makes him stand out among so many colorful characters. He still acts like a generic honorable martial arts guy.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Also, while Ryo was Ryu but orange they played nothing alike each other, so when Capcom made Dan SNK retaliated by putting Yuri, who had an identical moveset to Ryu, in AoF2.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yuri Sakazaki, another fine character who is much cooler than Ryu! She even got the Raging Demon at some point.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 16, 2015

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I've got to admit, it's a risky move for DC replace all of their New 52 titles with Mortal Kombat books come July, but I guess anything's worth a shot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I've got to admit, it's a risky move for DC replace all of their New 52 titles with Mortal Kombat books come July, but I guess anything's worth a shot.

Braniac found the DC vs MK universe and decided that was the prime continuity.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for reminding me!

Tom King gave a small interview to EW about Convergence

quote:

It’s an idea that’s always been integral to the DC Universe, and one of the strongest differentiators between the publisher and its chief competitor, Marvel: legacy. DC heroes are more often than not about upholding a mantle that’s passed on from hero to hero—the Green Lantern Corps, the family of characters that form around Batman and Superman, all the people who have taken on the role of The Flash—the heroes of the DC Universe are bigger than the people who wear their masks. But they’re also part of a family, which is something that resonates strongly with King.

“I always look for family, somewhere,” says King. A” father-son story, a father-daughter story, relationships between parents and children. Every one of us on some level connect to those stories, because we are a parent or a child … ultimately, it’s a story of survival, and good triumphing over evil in the compassionate sense, rather than the jingoistic one.”

The interview also includes this awesome spread about the multiple deaths of Superman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The fourth one back is All Star and he doesn't die in that one.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
He dies in the same way Jesus dies, transcending flesh and mortality.

King has a really strong understanding of what DC Comics hasn't been in ten years.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The fourth one back is All Star and he doesn't die in that one.

The first one is Death of Superman and he doesn't die in that one either.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What're the ones with Power Girl and Batman Beyond?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

What're the ones with Power Girl and Batman Beyond?

Power Girl is the death of Superman of Earth-2/Golden Age Superman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Power Girl one is from Infinite Crisis (when Golden Age Superman is killed by Superboy-Prime). Not sure about the other, though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The one that looks like Batman Beyond might just be Flashpoint Batman? Superman never died in Beyond.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

The one that looks like Batman Beyond might just be Flashpoint Batman? Superman never died in Beyond.
That's a good-size pile in front of him, too.

I'm stumped.

: /

Someone tweet EVS.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Could be Future's End that has both a dead Superman and Batman Beyond.

• Locked thread