Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

flyboi posted:

I hope Reggie lets me buy games from countries other than mine because publishers refuse to bring the game over but hey can't win them all. Region lockout is literally hitler.
Actually it's a total non-issue, just ask Damien McFerran of Nintendo Life: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/soapbox_why_region_locking_is_a_total_non_issue :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Popehoist posted:

Thanks, that makes me more confident mine is hosed and I'll make sure their customer service guys don't try to gently caress me around. The downside is, I'm probably gonna have to send it back for repairs or worse, replacement. Will Ninty handle the system transfer stuff by themselves if they have to replace my poo poo or do I need to phone them?

If the solution requires a total replacement they should be able to transfer your stuff over to the new system. You can double check with the rep on the phone.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
On a non-nu3DS topic, man, I picked up EO:Untold after a loooooong break and I have noo idea what I'm doing. :saddowns:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If I don't like SMT4 because it's hard and I am bad at it, should I bother looking at the other titles or should I just accept the games aren't for me?

I have about 20 hours in the game and I've restarted twice because I get to Tokyo and quit each time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If I don't like SMT4 because it's hard and I am bad at it, should I bother looking at the other titles or should I just accept the games aren't for me?

I have about 20 hours in the game and I've restarted twice because I get to Tokyo and quit each time.

Maybe considering that SMTIV is the most accessible mainline SMT game outside of the terrible map.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

What other titles? Other SMT games? The Persona games are generally considered to be a little easier and are more like traditional JRPGs than dungeon crawlers, but they're also some of the most anime-style games that ever animed so if you have a problem with highschool dates being part of the plot you should probably stay away.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, for the sake of some spergs like me who have trouble deciding between physical and digital:

I plan on buying three games tomorrow; Alpha Sapphire, Majora's Mask, and Smash 3DS. Out of these three, which make the most sense to buy digitally? Part of me thinks none since they're all good games that will increase in value, but another part is telling me it'll be rear end switching between three new game cartridges.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, for the sake of some spergs like me who have trouble deciding between physical and digital:

I plan on buying three games tomorrow; Alpha Sapphire, Majora's Mask, and Smash 3DS. Out of these three, which make the most sense to buy digitally? Part of me thinks none since they're all good games that will increase in value, but another part is telling me it'll be rear end switching between three new game cartridges.

AS and Smash you might want digital considering the local MP aspect of it and it's easier to just pop into the installed game rather than swapping out carts. Majora's Mask you want physical in my opinion if the current prices of OoT3D are any indication.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I highly doubt that these three games will ever increase in value because they'll probably be manufacturing enough copies to last until the heat death of the universe. They will, at best, retain value.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kaubocks posted:

I highly doubt that these three games will ever increase in value because they'll probably be manufacturing enough copies to last until the heat death of the universe. They will, at best, retain value.

Pokemon games always increase in value, and looking at the way OoT was handled, I can see Majora's going up in a few months. Smash, however, may not since the 3DS version is seen as a watered down Wii U version.

Honestly, I'm sure why I care. I have intention to ever sell these games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

noirstronaut posted:

Pokemon games always increase in value, and looking at the way OoT was handled, I can see Majora's going up in a few months. Smash, however, may not since the 3DS version is seen as a watered down Wii U version.

Honestly, I'm sure why I care. I have intention to ever sell these games.

I was thinking of getting Smash but I have a Wii U. Would it be better just to pick that up? I kinda would dig the portability of 3ds Smash, though. I would definitely get Majora as physical since how often would you replay it? Smash and Pokemon would be better as pick up and play.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wouldn't bother with Smash 3DS if you have a Wii U unless you absolutely need portable Smash.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wouldn't bother with Smash 3DS if you have a Wii U unless you absolutely need portable Smash.

It's possible the Mewtwo DLC will cost fifty dollars, in which case it would be a good investment/trick

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SeANMcBAY posted:

Coincidentally, this is what i just decided. I think it might even be a CN Platinum reward, so I can't go for it now. I'll be picking up physical copies of AS and Majora's Mask.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picked up Majora's Mask and the new fire emblem, I got a 2DS for christmas, and I need someone to convince me that the 3D doesn't look that great so I don't go and blow 200 in 2 weeks because it's my b-day.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Turtlicious posted:

Picked up Majora's Mask and the new fire emblem, I got a 2DS for christmas, and I need someone to convince me that the 3D doesn't look that great so I don't go and blow 200 in 2 weeks because it's my b-day.

I turn it off whenever possible because it's not that great!

(The headtracking on the nu3ds is pretty cool, though :v: )

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

This is not a subforum of careful spending and moderated finances. Go get yourself a shiny new3DSXL because the 3D's great.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haquer posted:

I turn it off whenever possible because it's not that great!

(The headtracking on the nu3ds is pretty cool, though :v: )

So things don't look weird and flat / look a lot better with the 3D on?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Turtlicious posted:

No? I put ~280 hours into Monster Hunter 3U and right now have ~28 in 4U without using 3D much at all (in fact, turning it off in 3U improves the font quality and framerate so it was off from day 1) and I've had 0 problems by not having 3D.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It depends on the game, the 3D can make some games that may have bland graphics look much better and more interesting.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I haven't yet turned off 3D on Majora's Mask on the New...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

elf help book posted:

It depends on the game, the 3D can make some games that may have bland graphics look much better and more interesting.

Hell, I own Xenoblade Chronicles already and I'm a little tempted to get the n3DS version just to run around looking at it all in 3D.

Turtlicious posted:

Go take a look at a demo console if you haven't already. I'd have thought they'd be in just about every store in the US by now, considering every major EB Games and the like usually has one in Australia. Though my local Targets have 2DS's as their demo consoles for some weird reason. I guess it's so they can push them on small children like they're designed for.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

drat. Just found a stuck pixel on my N3ds top screen. Guess I'm gonna have to send it in. First time I've ever ran into one too. Would an email or phone call be better?

Go through Nintendo's website support.

3D chat: I think the 3D effect in FE:A is really great. It actually helps me spot terrain features like walls, mountains, tiny one man paths. It's pretty cool! (Once I see how the map is laid out I switch off 3D)

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 16, 2015

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I don't know if this has been asked but does the 3D on the new 3DSXL still have the ghosting issues for those who wear glasses? If I do use the 3D on my XL I get ghost images unless I take my glasses off so I just usually play with the 3D turned off.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Games still render 3D exactly the same way they always did, but the system uses head-tracking magic to be more chill about what angle you look at the screen from. The stereoscopic effect doesn't feel different, but it's a much comfier experience (especially for games that allow gyroscopic aiming, since now you can do that without screwing up the picture).

Theoretically it might be possible for a game to read the head-tracking data and move its in-game camera around accordingly to give you a really cool diorama effect, but that'd be a game-specific thing and nothing does it yet.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

spasticColon posted:

I don't know if this has been asked but does the 3D on the new 3DSXL still have the ghosting issues for those who wear glasses? If I do use the 3D on my XL I get ghost images unless I take my glasses off so I just usually play with the 3D turned off.

I got lasik surgery last year to better appreciate the 3D.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

spasticColon posted:

Ghosting is not from wearing glasses. It's from bright images contrasting on dark backgrounds. It's a known thing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The 3D on a new XL looks amazing. I dunno what the hell Nintendo did to change it, but it feels a lot more "real" than before. The 3D used to work in reverse, where things appeared to have more depth, but on the new, it looks like that pop upwards like they do in 3D movies.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

spasticColon posted:

I don't know about ghosting but some people in this thread have said that their glasses screwed with the face-tracking used for 3D stabilisation.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know when the Ironfall demo is going to show up?

Also, I'm embarking on a 3d-movie-via-plex adventure, so I'll let you all know how that goes.

In the mean time, go watch some 3d youtube on your NN3DS, it owwwwwwnnnnnnnssssssssss.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

The 3D used to work in reverse, where things appeared to have more depth, but on the new, it looks like that pop upwards like they do in 3D movies.

Depth vs popout is handled game-by-game, though, not on the hardware level. Whether an object looks deep in the screen or like it's popping out is determined by how that particular game is designed to render its left-eye and right-eye images, and the new system doesn't change that at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone know when the Ironfall demo is going to show up?

They're aiming for February 26 in NA.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So more impressions about Deep Crimson

Is funny how one of the complaints I've seen the most is how the levels are short but considering the way story mode is structured you get some pretty long stages. This, in my opinion is a great choice. You get incredibly involved with the story told and (although that might be just me) you can actually empathize with the characters. The "you gotta be kidding me" feeling after mowing down tons of enemies just for a boss to show up.

While on the other hand. the missions are fast and short by itself, perfect for grinding or imrpoving your ranks.

This leds me to another factor I'm enjoying inmensely, the rank system is shared. While is hard to get an A rank on your first playthrough (where the character is preset by the plot) you can return later with your favorite character and get an A rank without an issue, thus avoiding the padding plagued both Burst and Versus.

Another "complaint" I've seen is that the game is optmimized for the tag system. This is true but is also true you can play any level with any character or characters. That's right. you can even do the tutorial level with a tag team and wreck faces like nobody business. Add the incredibly lenient way ranks are handled now and you can pick a tag team for better ranks or your favorite girl just to beat people up.

I also had the chance to play with Rin and drat, she's a beast. Fastest character on the game but unlike her previous iterations, her speed isn't a hidrance. Her stance is a lso a great addition, she gets surrounded into what it can only be described as razor wind, making her lethal on close combat.

Bosses are tremedeously more fun to fight now, normal bosses are a bit like fighting another player while the Youma fights add a most needed change to keep things fresh.

My only complaint so far is the ranking system, but mostly because I can't read the results screens and so I don't know what is exactly what is being tallied.

Oh, and the music is fan-loving-tastic.

Nonetheless, Deep Crimson is a FANTASTIC game and I can't wait for it to be localized.

togetic
Mar 24, 2006
Anyone who's had Nintendo do a manual system transfer, what are the magic words that got them to pay attention to you?

Way back when I upgraded to the XL, I was ignorant of the transfer procedure and traded my old 3DS toward the new hardware. I went back and forth with Nintendo for the better part of a month trying to get my purchases restored, and they told me to go gently caress myself.

Now I'm on the New 3DS and I'd still really like to have my old account back, but I have no idea what to do. I'm in Taiwan/using a JP system and unfortunately telling us to gently caress ourselves is Nintendo's standard policy; the TW system plays like 12 games and the attitude toward localization is "practice your Japanese". :(

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

NNIDs were added to the 3DS in 2013, and that made it a lot easier on Nintendo's end to do manual remote transfers. If your original system predated that and never had an NNID attached to it, there's probably still not anything they can do.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, I'm embarking on a 3d-movie-via-plex adventure, so I'll let you all know how that goes.

:aaaaa: I never even thought of that possibility, definitely interested in knowing if that works out. Probably not something I'd want to do on the regular but could be fun once in awhile.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wait. Plex? Like, Plex plex? Oh man I want this to work.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow I was bummed I missed my chance to do the preorder/Gamestop trade-in thing but I threw my XL up on Craigslist for $100 and was getting tons of messages within, like, an hour -- gently caress a trade-in! I have a feeling I honestly could have gotten $120 for it with some patience

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why would you want Plex on your 3DS when you probably have a smartphone with an actual good screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

flyboi posted:

I hope Reggie lets me buy games from countries other than mine because publishers refuse to bring the game over but hey can't win them all. Region lockout is literally hitler.

Since Hitler had no problem going to other regions offering what he was selling to people if they wanted it or not I have to disagree with you.