Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

El Hefe posted:

Tell that to the Xbox one is bad thread

:mad: 😑

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ground Zeroes was like $7 with plus not long ago, surely it'll be cheap again soon
Oh drat, I was watching for it to go on sale, but I guess I missed it anyway.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh drat, I was watching for it to go on sale, but I guess I missed it anyway.

the metal gear collection went on sale too around the same time. i think it was 15 bucks?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
This free update to Resogun breathes so much life into the game. If you didn't get into at release give it another shot.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It had a lot of fourth-wall breaking, like putting the dual shock on yourself to receive a massage and one of the bosses reading your memory card.

And the OP said he was expecting a semi realistic gritty military game when he hopped into Ground Zeroes. MGS boss battles consist of fighting cowboys, flying telekinetic psychics, sharpshooting dog ladies, your own clone bro, and a hulk-like tank driving shaman. They are definitely not military simulators by any means.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Now that I have my account upgraded, I plan on streaming some games with some buddies of mine. What I wanted to know is if there is a way to broadcast my PS4 from the system and a Skype call?

Bringing this back up again since it's been a couple hundred posts since I first asked. I don't have any HD capture equipment and not everyone I'd be talking to has a PS4 to party chat on.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

frenton posted:

And the OP said he was expecting a semi realistic gritty military game when he hopped into Ground Zeroes. MGS boss battles consist of fighting cowboys, flying telekinetic psychics, sharpshooting dog ladies, your own clone bro, and a hulk-like tank driving shaman. They are definitely not military simulators by any means.

That's true of every game in the series except Ground Zeroes. There's basically nothing fantastical in it (unless you count Jamais Vu) except maybe a Hungarian dude who got his skin burned off in a bombing raid commanding a unit of special ops guys. The portrayal of Guantanamo Bay is pretty realistic and nothing is played for laughs. And it doesn't have some of the sillier mainstays like the cardboard box. I liked that Ground Zeroes was basically a "pure" stealth game in that your main strategies involve breaking line of sight, creating distractions, and moving quickly-but-quietly. But it is the most grounded game in the series in terms of presentation and gameplay by far.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 16, 2015

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Bringing this back up again since it's been a couple hundred posts since I first asked. I don't have any HD capture equipment and not everyone I'd be talking to has a PS4 to party chat on.

Record them separately and then mix it in post? Use a repeatable noise(bonus points for a clapper board) to sync them easy.

edit: Oh, misunderstood, you want to stream it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That's true of every game in the series except Ground Zeroes. There's basically nothing fantastical in it (unless you count Jamais Vu) except maybe a Hungarian dude who got his skin burned off in a bombing raid commanding a unit of special ops guys. The portrayal of Guantanamo Bay is pretty realistic and nothing is played for laughs. And it doesn't have some of the sillier mainstays like the cardboard box. I liked that Ground Zeroes was basically a "pure" stealth game in that your main strategies involve breaking line of sight, creating distractions, and moving quickly-but-quietly. But it is the most grounded game in the series in terms of presentation and gameplay by far.
Why on earth did they make it that way? In Phantom Pain, which this is supposedly a prelude to, you have a robot arm, a robot sniper girl assistant, a magic skyhook, a custom cardboard box with a bunch of crazy new distraction features, and a dog.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why on earth did they make it that way? In Phantom Pain, which this is supposedly a prelude to, you have a robot arm, a robot sniper girl assistant, a magic skyhook, a custom cardboard box with a bunch of crazy new distraction features, and a dog.

and a chicken mask that makes you invincible

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can't wait sounds great

Ground Zeros did have a vagina bomb though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Beats me. I think Hideo Kojima said something about aiming Peace Walker - the game that precedes Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain - at younger teens, like a manga. It shows (in a good way) since you have all sorts of colorful characters and gameplay features. Apparently he wanted these new games to be aimed at a more "adult" audience (whatever that means to him) so it's probably the biggest explanation for the tonal shift. As for not including all the crazy stuff you mentioned, Ground Zeroes is basically a work-in-progress that was released early presumably to whet the appetites of people who had been waiting years for another Metal Gear game. It's a drat fun work-in-progress, mind you, but its price point did set a bad precedent for games. I have to assume the push to release something came from the top down at Konami, but in hindsight they probably would have been better off releasing it for $20 at launch or just releasing the Ground Zeroes mission as a free demo.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Gonna ask a question I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to, but I'll give it a shot anyway. In Infamous: Second Son, I have every district cleared out but Uptown, which is also very blatantly where the final mission will be. I'm missing a single tracker drone, and as far as I can tell it's up on the tower somewhere because I can't find it down on the ground where the radar says to look. Is this basically Sucker Punch saying "Nah dude you can't take over the entire map until you actually beat the game?"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know why I have trouble getting into Rayman. it seems like such a good game and I love 2d platformers, but just like Origins I'm finding myself losing interest when I try to get into Legends.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

I don't know why I have trouble getting into Rayman. it seems like such a good game and I love 2d platformers, but just like Origins I'm finding myself losing interest when I try to get into Legends.

where are you in the game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm only on the third level. I'm gonna stick it out more than I did with Origins because I think it will grow on me. I enjoy it on some level it just doesn't really grab me and make me want to keep playing right from the get go for some reason I can't put my finger on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

I'm only on the third level. I'm gonna stick it out more than I did with Origins because I think it will grow on me. I enjoy it on some level it just doesn't really grab me and make me want to keep playing right from the get go for some reason I can't put my finger on.

wait at least until the water world. the first level goes from amazingly bright cute and happy to cool dark spy infiltration themed with a great transition and the swimming in the game is somehow even more fluid than the running and jumping

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

NESguerilla posted:

The last couple Rayman games have been outstanding, but I'm sort of in the same boat as you. For as much as I like what the games offer, they just don't ignite any enthusiasm in me, and I lose interest in them pretty fast.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Far Cry 4 kinda owns. I didn't play 3, but I did play Blood Dragon and the first 2.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Still waiting for HBO Go to go subscription based.

I think Comcast pays out the rear end for them to keep HBO Go from being the service it should be

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

echronorian posted:

I think Comcast pays out the rear end for them to keep HBO Go from being the service it should be

It's happening in April :toot:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

ohhhhhhh?? What specifically?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

This is what I figured. I bet it goes live with the premier of Game of Thrones (also Silicon Valley season 2 is the same night and you should watch season 1 before then, it's hilarious).

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

echronorian posted:

ohhhhhhh?? What specifically?

Netflix-style subscription service, no need for cable. It's scheduled to launch in time for the premiere of the new season of Game of Thrones, but specific dates and a price haven't been announced yet. Technically they didn't say April, just "in time for GoT", so it could launch earlier but that seems unlikely.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Netflix-style subscription service, no need for cable. It's scheduled to launch in time for the premiere of the new season of Game of Thrones, but specific dates and a price haven't been announced yet. Technically they didn't say April, just "in time for GoT", so it could launch earlier but that seems unlikely.

I can just see it launching the night of Game of Thrones though and going up in flames that night.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hope they don't crack down on account sharing when that happens. I'd pay $10 a month for HBO if I had to though. At least when shows I watch are airing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I said come in! posted:

I can just see it launching the night of Game of Thrones though and going up in flames that night.

Didn't that happen last year?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Probably. But I think I read that they scrapped the custom video-software they've been using for HBO Go and are going to use some kind of third party standard, so it might work better than the service has in the past.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Nice. I really hate Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire but I'd pay to rewatch Eastbound and down, Summer Heights High, and thumb through whatever other odd comedy series they've accidentally funded the last decade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

echronorian posted:

Nice. I really hate Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire but I'd pay to rewatch Eastbound and down, Summer Heights High, and thumb through whatever other odd comedy series they've accidentally funded the last decade.

Curb your Enthusiasm, and Silicon Valley.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

echronorian posted:

Huh, that made it out of Australia? Weird.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bass Bottles posted:

From what I heard, if you're paying for the Netflix style HBOGO subscription, it only lets you watch shows that are more than 5 years old. You still have to have the Time Warner/Comcast/Whatever HBO cable package to get access to the HBO go that you can watch Game of Thrones with.

I could be wrong though, that's just how my co-worker told it to me.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

From what I heard, if you're paying for the Netflix style HBOGO subscription, it only lets you watch shows that are more than 5 years old. You still have to have the Time Warner/Comcast/Whatever HBO cable package to get access to the HBO go that you can watch Game of Thrones with.

I could be wrong though, that's just how my co-worker told it to me.

That's Amazon Prime. They have HBO content now, but only stuff more than 5 years old. HBO Go's subscription service will be the full thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I want The Order to be good because I gameflyed it and I wouldn't mind a linear set piece shooter.

I want The Order to be bad (and short) because the drama and backlash will be entertaining for weeks.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

How are you playing it? I've seen quite a few people take it really slow. The levels are almost all designed to never stop running and the game clicked for me once I recognized that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you have Amazon prime a lot of the good old HBO stuff is on there. If you cared about catalog and not new stuff.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Nope, not on PS4. I imagine it's possible through the Xbone since Skype is a Microsoft thing now, but you're talking about looping your video through a PC to get 'em both happening. For good or ill, the streaming on PS4 is basically you and your buddies going through party chat if you want their audio to be part of the stream (and even that is a little wonky, I think?).

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Far Cry 4 kinda owns. I didn't play 3, but I did play Blood Dragon and the first 2.

It was far and away the best of Ubi's games last year. It actively bucked the trend of making you chase down hundreds of collectibles, but still rewarded you (some ways better than others) with in-game rewards if you found enough of them. Everything about Far Cry 4 demonstrated that the team making it was basically including their usual UbiGrind stuff out of obligation, but they didn't force it at all. And, not surprisingly, it was their best game of 2014 by a mile.

echronorian posted:

Comcast pretty regularly seems to throttle my HBO Go streams, so I highly doubt that. They have a major stake in Hulu, and they'd rather people go there (or use their on demand stuff) than bother with trying to cockblock HBO since they control the pipes.

echronorian posted:

Wait, you "really hate" Game of Thrones? That might be a first for me. Any particular reason why? I'm not attacking you or anything, by the way, I'm just genuinely curious because even I'm sick of high fantasy and I find the show amazing.

I said come in! posted:

Curb your Enthusiasm, and Silicon Valley.

One day someone will have to explain the appeal of Curb to me, because I'm sort of the flipside to echronorian on this; I hate that show. It's horribly unfunny to me and filled with terribly unlikable characters. It's like Seinfeld cranked up to overdrive. Silicon Valley had this really weird super-good/super-awful curve to their episodes, but it finished really strong and I dug the poo poo out of it overall. I'm looking forward to seeing how they progress the basic idea further in this new season.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

SamBishop posted:

Wait, you "really hate" Game of Thrones? That might be a first for me. Any particular reason why? I'm not attacking you or anything, by the way, I'm just genuinely curious because even I'm sick of high fantasy and I find the show amazing.

Fantasy just doesn't work for me. It feels too much like real history filtered through a lens. I'm that nonfiction guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

echronorian posted:

Fantasy just doesn't work for me. It feels too much like real history filtered through a lens. I'm that nonfiction guy.
I like Game of Thrones all right, but sometimes I would prefer it was done with real history too. It could still have dragons and zombies and stuff anyway.

• Locked thread