Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Rorus Raz posted:

Please make fun of me.

Being donkey is so 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

majormonotone posted:

This would be a good comic if not for the terrible pun at the top. It's not even, like, a grown-worthy JRRose! dad pun. It's just cringe-worthy.

In fact the pun is good.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Rorus Raz posted:

Please make fun of me.

Making people laugh on the internet. THE INTERNET. :crossarms:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

No, I have no idea what I was thinking when I drew this.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

Please make fun of me.

in this story i'm rorus raz, k

so there i was making another pants edit in photoshop when all of a sudden Day By Day popped open except every character was the ultimate hustler and he said "bet you wish you could make a lady's pants be on the ground, but you can't" and as i fell back off my chair, tears welling in my eyes at his allegations, he clone stamped himself into a picture of my mom and added "and you don't even drink whiskey sours" and i was like drat

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CampingCarl posted:

Isn't there an ancient gospel of judas that says christ told him to turn him in so all that would happen?

Yes there is, and it is also in line with a lot of Gnostic beliefs. The Gospels themselves weren't only 4 in number, and the 4 we got were picked and translated under very sketchy circumstances.

The story of the Gospel of Judas is basically, "I understood Jesus' lessons, was willing to be demonized for eternity to fulfill a prophecy, and kissed him goodbye." The punchline is that the more beloved apostles do stupid poo poo and ignore Jesus all the time even in the Gospels that are supposed to make them seem amazing (most of them never even try to understand Jesus' parables, they fall asleep when he specifically tells them to stay awake because he's going to die, Peter Numberone The Best Apostle swords the poo poo out of a dude when Jesus told him not to seconds earlier, the whole "you're gonna deny knowing me thrice before daybreak" poo poo, etc). The "superior" apostles were flakey morons who only fulfilled prophecies out of sheer idiocy, neglect, and assholishness. And all 12 of these people were specifically chosen miracle-makers with the gifted power to raise the dead and cast out demons under the most generous interpretations, Judas included.

All in all, the idea that Judas betrayed Jesus, therefore Judas = MegaHitler is logically antithetical to the concept that God is not Evil for making Evil. If the answer to the latter is, "You don't know the whole situation," then there's no reason why it can't also be the answer to the former.

edit: It's funny that the Bible has like 2 wild fanfiction versions of what happened to Judas ("He hung himself and the money was cursed forever!"/"He exploded in a field in a shower of guts!"), but in the Gospel of Judas the dude's like, "The others are going to murder me," which both fits in with their established Biblical personalities and all future generations of Christians.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 16, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hard, painful truths ITT

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Noteworthy, but certainly not what

Alhazred posted:

The Statue of Liberty was originally supposed to be
edit: Though I suppose there's a bit of semantics in there. If we take the 'statue of liberty' to refer to the basic design that would one day be used in that statue, then I wouldn't really disagree too strenuously.

But the stronger takeaway would probably be that the sculptor really wanted to make a gigantic lighthouse lady, no matter the intended recipient or what he had to say it represents.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 16, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt.

Submitted for your approval.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

InequalityGodzilla posted:

And your edits aren't funny!

Them's fightin' words, pilgrim. :clint:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rorus is what happens when you read this thread for too long.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

A lovely voice put toward a great cause. :patriot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rorus Raz posted:

I have seen nothing but people slamming the movie for its unhealthy view of BDSM and relationships in general. Wait a minute...that lady on the right is made of straw!

Whereas we have all seen a ludicrous number of copies of an abominably lovely fanfic being sold and the movie of said fanfic being released on loving Valentine's Day and marketed as romantic. Over here the fire brigade were put on increased alert this weekend in anticipation of a lot of inexperienced people getting into situations from which they couldn't readily extract themselves. For once, the so dumb and goddamn crazy woman probably isn't made of straw.

Meanwhile, women submitting completely to their husbands is Biblical. As usual, it's actually the sex (and premarital at that) that is raising the ire of the religious right.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Holy crap, I didn't know that Dees thinks that black people are a plag- oh, duh. Dees made this two or three years ago:

:cripes:

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

edit: It's funny that the Bible has like 2 wild fanfiction versions of what happened to Judas ("He hung himself and the money was cursed forever!"/"He exploded in a field in a shower of guts!"), but in the Gospel of Judas the dude's like, "The others are going to murder me," which both fits in with their established Biblical personalities and all future generations of Christians.

Huh, and I thought that he was forced by the Council of Mages at the Rock of Eternity to atone for his sins by becoming a superhero.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Somfin posted:

A lovely voice put toward a great cause. :patriot:
Haha, oh wow. (That is in fact the best reaction I can master, besides a :neckbeard:
smiley that spawns other :neckbeard: smilies)

Edit - Oh yeah - I'm looking forward to your role in the Cucmber Quest Fandub quite a lot now.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 16, 2015

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Broken Loose posted:

Yes there is, and it is also in line with a lot of Gnostic beliefs. The Gospels themselves weren't only 4 in number, and the 4 we got were picked and translated under very sketchy circumstances.

What was sketchy about them? The New Testament we have is a result of three centuries of Christians trying to figure out which of the many Gospels going around should be considered authoritative and which ones not. By the year 200 it appears that in many communities the NT was already very similar to the one used today. The councils of the 5th century didn't force a biblical canon on an unwilling Christendom but instead codified what had been a widely established practice. It's also no coincidence that the four biblical Gospels are also the oldest ones of them all (with the possible exception of the Gospel of Thomas), written probably between 60-100 AD, whereas most apocrypha were written during the 2nd or 3rd century.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

Holy crap, I didn't know that Dees thinks that black people are a plag- oh, duh. Dees made this two or three years ago:

The anti-Semitic paranoid schizophrenic is also racist against black people whaaaaaaat?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
not cool, dees! not cool!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The only bad thing about this cartoon is that we can't see the tan colour of the suit in black and white.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

Please don't post art from the RaHoWa RPG.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Like Judas, the Prosperity Gospel is a vital part of Jesus and his plan for humanity's salvation.

Oh come on, that's not a fair AGC: he drew Judas and the prosperity gospel as a Venn diagram, the whole point of which is to show where things are alike and where they are different.

I think we can assume he means that "part of humanity's salvation" does not lie in the intersection here.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm not sure where the prosperity gospel uses the pretext of good works to steal money though, unless he means televangelists that ask you to give them your money so God will bless you, but that seems like kind of a stretch. Prosperity gospel televangelists are pretty open that they're buying things for themselves with the money because they see it as God's blessing for doing his work. This is different from Judas saying that they should sell the perfume and give the money to the poor, because he was lying and was going to secretly keep the money for himself.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Rorus Raz posted:

Hard, painful truths ITT

You haven't bought enough Haggadahs yet!

According to the huffington post
Shooting At Copenhagen Synagogue Leaves 1 Dead, 2 Officers Wounded
"Denmark was on high alert after a shooting near a synagogue in Copenhagen left a civilian dead and two police officers wounded early Sunday morning, hours after a gunman fatally shot a man and wounded three police officers at a free speech event in the same city. Combined, the shootings left two dead and five police officers wounded. The second attack, adjacent to a synagogue in the Krystalgade area of Copenhagen, left a male civilian dead, and two officers with wounds to the arms and legs, police said. The wounded officers were receiving treatment. Police spokesman Allan Wadsworth-Hansen said that is was unclear if the attack at the synagogue was related to the attack at the free speech event. The identity of the victim had not been released. Police scoured the city for suspects, and hours after the synagogue attack, Copenhagen police confirmed that they had shot and killed a man near the Nørrebro rail station. Police said that when they confronted the man, who was a person of interest, he opened fire and was then shot. No police officers were shot, a statement said. The man's identity and condition were unknown. Police were investigating if he was connected to the attacks. Police had thus far not apprehended a suspect from either shootings, and were uncertain if it was the same perpetrator that had carried out both attacks. The synagogue shooter had fled on foot. Police described the suspect as a male wearing black pants and shoes, along with a gray jacket with a multi-colored portion."
Please note!if you want to get your Dry Bones Haggadahs for this coming Passover, you'll have to order now! The LSW (Long Suffering Wife) mails them out from our local post office here in Israel. So if you want to make sure you'll get yours in time, you've got to order now! For details go to http://store.drybones.com
Labels: antisemitism, Denmark, Islamism, Israel, Shuldig, terror, terror attacks

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Yaakov is absolutely giddy about shootings!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I dunno about anyone else, but what I'm getting is that he's one of the "wolves" killing and biting, and he's taking a break to give us his quip.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

...and this, young grasshopper, is why we have Apartheid laws!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's mentioned earlier in the Gospels that Judas was already stealing from the money bag that the Apostles were using for Jesus's mission.

Judas was skimming from his friends, so yeah, he was a pretty greedy guy. As for his death, he hung himself before the Sabbath. Since under the Law of Moses, no Jew would cut him down and bury him on that day, he stayed on the tree all weekend. When they did cut him down, he'd bloated from being out in the sun so long. When they cut the rope, he hit the ground and burst because of the gas let off from decomposition.

Wether or not he was forgiven by God is an entire other debate, since that's not in the Bible, and it's something Dante came up with.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I don't know if this is dragging out an unwanted derail and the current "appropriate" threads seem like trainwrecks anyway...

Can anyone knowledgeable in scripture and/or theology explain what was so, well, sacrificial about Christ's sacrifice? He knew what was going to happen, in that after some torture and a grisly death, he'd come back from the dead, and then ascend to heaven and take place at his father's right hand. I guess if Christ went to spend eternity in Hell until after the Judgment, I could buy it being a big thing.

I guess it's just the whole, knowing what's going to happen and it's actually pretty great, sort of thing that bothers me about the entire affair. I'm not downplaying the passion and the crucifixion, but people suffer some pretty horrific stuff all the time, sometimes even in the name of redemption, and they don't get a guarantee of resurrection and a ticket to heaven and glory.

Actually, none of the resurrection and eternal life business made sense to me as comfort in the face of death, when presented in today's context. Back then, when someone died, if they were resurrected, they literally came back from the dead. Christ literally came back and ascended. How is that supposed to be any comfort when it's the complete opposite of what we face when we die?

I'm not trying to be an edgy behatted neckbeard, these questions are all asked in earnest. None of this stuff ever sat well with me, and I just want to know what it is that I'm missing, if there's really anything to this beyond having faith.

This got to be much more lengthy than I'd planned, sorry.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I don't know if this is dragging out an unwanted derail and the current "appropriate" threads seem like trainwrecks anyway...

Can anyone knowledgeable in scripture and/or theology explain what was so, well, sacrificial about Christ's sacrifice? He knew what was going to happen, in that after some torture and a grisly death, he'd come back from the dead, and then ascend to heaven and take place at his father's right hand. I guess if Christ went to spend eternity in Hell until after the Judgment, I could buy it being a big thing.

I guess it's just the whole, knowing what's going to happen and it's actually pretty great, sort of thing that bothers me about the entire affair. I'm not downplaying the passion and the crucifixion, but people suffer some pretty horrific stuff all the time, sometimes even in the name of redemption, and they don't get a guarantee of resurrection and a ticket to heaven and glory.

Actually, none of the resurrection and eternal life business made sense to me as comfort in the face of death, when presented in today's context. Back then, when someone died, if they were resurrected, they literally came back from the dead. Christ literally came back and ascended. How is that supposed to be any comfort when it's the complete opposite of what we face when we die?

I'm not trying to be an edgy behatted neckbeard, these questions are all asked in earnest. None of this stuff ever sat well with me, and I just want to know what it is that I'm missing, if there's really anything to this beyond having faith.

This got to be much more lengthy than I'd planned, sorry.

The dual nature of Jesus means that he was fully human, with all the doubts and fears that come along with it.

quote:

And at the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, "Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani?" which is translated, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Even Jesus was an agnostic when things were extremely lovely.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 16, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Wether or not he was forgiven by God is an entire other debate, since that's not in the Bible, and it's something Dante came up with.

Judas is literally in Satan's mouth in Inferno.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
No, even 2000 years ago, when people died they normally stayed dead. The point of Jesus is that its literally God, creator of the Universe, dying for people's sins. When humans started doing things wrong, God could have just done "oh well", removed the Earth from existence and just started evolving another intelligent race to work with. Instead, God - remember, all powerful creator of the Universe, name above all names, the boss - takes off his authority, comes to Earth as a human, is brutally tortured to death while being abandoned and mocked by his people and his friends, then came back to life, just so he could save humanity from sin. During the passion, the aspect of God that was in Jesus was completely cut off from the aspect of God that was in Heaven (yeah, that's the complex part), so even though he knew that he would be ressurected like the Scriptures predicted, he still had to deal with all the emotions and fears and pain of being tortured.

It's not that Jesus was just some wise teacher or something - he was God in human form, and chose to go through all that for the sake of mankind. That's the profound part.

If you haven't, read the Gospels for yourself, they'll explain it better than I can.

fool_of_sound posted:

Judas is literally in Satan's mouth in Inferno.

Again, that's Dante's political cartoon/epic poem, not actual scripture.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Can anyone knowledgeable in scripture and/or theology explain what was so, well, sacrificial about Christ's sacrifice?

Have some more why don't you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mFBh2z9sc

If you view it from the perspective of the human part of Jesus, he's taking it all on faith. He has to die, and when he dies it will be OK. That's still cold comfort when they're torturing him to death though and he's not getting any visions or signs and he's alone with his doubts.

That said I've always thought the miracle of Lazarus kind of diminishes this - if you believe that Jesus has already caused a dead man to rise back to life, that kind of takes the sting out of it a bit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Again, that's Dante's political cartoon/epic poem self-insert fanfiction where he creeps on a girl he knows, not actual scripture.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I thought the creeping was in Paradise, not Inferno?

Could be wrong it's been a while.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

OldMemes posted:

It's mentioned earlier in the Gospels that Judas was already stealing from the money bag that the Apostles were using for Jesus's mission.

Yeah, in the gospels written by whom? :rolleye:

I mean really, if you take for a moment as true the narrative that Judas was good and he knew the other apostles would defame him after the "betrayal," then of course they would retroactively write bad things like "oh yeah he was a dick, i mean he took 30 silver for this, i wouldn't be surprised if he was even skimming from the coffers all along."

Whichever side you actually subscribe to, the idea that the other gospels say bad things about Judas, combined with the fact that they were all written by fallible humans, is perfectly consistent with the "Judas gospel" narrative.

e: Also I'm gonna admit that most of my initial exposure/education about the matter does come from the gospel of Andrew Lloyd Weber, but having examined the actual "canon" more closely after the fact, I still think that Jesus' sacrifice being necessary and being precipitated by Judas makes it kind of strange to believe that Judas was a horrible traitor who deserves to spend eternity in satan's mouth, rather than a catalyst for what both Jesus and Judas knew had to come.
Does anyone know what mainstream (not crazy fundamentalist) Christians think about Jesus Christ Superstar? Do they love it because it's a rockin' tale about Jesus? Do they just ignore the non-canonical Judas stuff?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 16, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shugojin posted:

I thought the creeping was in Paradise, not Inferno?

Could be wrong it's been a while.
She's at the beginning of Inferno beckoning to him, and then she's like "well here's a filthy pagan to guide you through hell, I'm not getting my dress all ashy and shitstained, meet you on the other side, later".

And then Dante gets embedded with Virgil and has to go through the burning pit of hell while Virgil makes blowjob poses and talks about how Dante's Christian society is so much better than 1980's pagan Rome, and then Dante shoots satan through the Koran with a bullet and finds his way back to Waifu.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

VitalSigns posted:

She's at the beginning of Inferno beckoning to him, and then she's like "well here's a filthy pagan to guide you through hell, I'm not getting my dress all ashy and shitstained, meet you on the other side, later".

And then Dante gets embedded with Virgil and has to go through the burning pit of hell while Virgil makes blowjob poses and talks about how Dante's Christian society is so much better than 1980's pagan Rome, and then Dante shoots satan through the Koran with a bullet and finds his way back to Waifu.

I've never read Dante's Inferno, but I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the library this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Garrand posted:

I've never read Dante's Inferno, but I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the library this week.

The whole Divine Comedy is pretty interesting, but it gets weirder and weirder as he goes up and up. The whole Paradiso part is weird as poo poo, I could barely follow it. But that's me talking as a casual reader, I'm sure there are Dante Scholars who know a lot more about it than I do.

Fun fact, iirc: Dante basically invented the written Italian language.

• Locked thread