Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I guess they don't say why they removed the option in the first place, although I don't see how that would help ("Google, like most companies, occasionally adds and removes features from applications for no discernible reason. In keeping with this practice...") or change the fact that you need to choose now either to re-enable or leave disabled the feature.

All I'm getting at is that it would help if Google offered an idea of why you'd want to choose either option (turn on/leave off), the same way they do if you try to download a large doodad from the Play store on a mobile network. Maybe something like 'turning this on means your phone will now immediately upload any new photos or videos you take to Google+, even over a mobile network. Depending on their size, this may cost you money'.

That way Google aren't assuming knowledge on the part of the user, and give them a little tidbit of info to make an informed decision instead :shrug:

Thermopyle posted:

I had never even heard of time-sensitive backups and neither had she, so when she asked me about it I didn't know what the gently caress.

Case in point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
loving hell, even after deleting Messenger from my Nexus 5, battery is still hosed beyond belief. At 38% after like 5 hours off charger, only really use was to send a couple texts and listen to an offline Google Music playlist for 30mins. This is crap.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

According a link posted earlier, the Messenger app's heating issue was fixed. I re-installed it and the Facebook app and my phone appears to be fine so far. I'm going to keep a close eye on it, though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

mango sentinel posted:

I was bummed for a while that HTC wasn't going to roll out Lollipop to carriers in their projected timeframe. I know now they are just trying to protect me as a customer and I appreciate that.

Zero issues with 5.0.2 on an M7. It's actually a nice cohesive upgrade. Everything feels smoother overall and makes sense design wise. Notifications on the lock screen are something I didn't think about before since you'd still see icons in the status bar, but that was limited.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Some time ago my Nexus 6 changed the way it interacts with my Bluetooth Car Kit.

Before:
Short press plays last audio source (usually PocketCasts)
Long press opens a prompt where it asks who to call.

Now:
Short press opens Google Music.
Long press turns on a Google Now prompt.

I can't figure out how to change it back, or why it changed in the first place.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

It confused me because I had no idea what "time-specific" updates meant, since the thing would upload any picture I took as soon as I took it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Dark One posted:

It confused me because I had no idea what "time-specific" updates meant, since the thing would upload any picture I took as soon as I took it.
I have used auto-upload since the day it was released, have re-set it up on probably a dozen devices since, and I have absolutely no clue what "time-specific" uploading is.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I had no idea there were options beyond always or Wi-Fi only. Where was this time based option hidden?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Some time ago my Nexus 6 changed the way it interacts with my Bluetooth Car Kit.

Before:
Short press plays last audio source (usually PocketCasts)
Long press opens a prompt where it asks who to call.

Now:
Short press opens Google Music.
Long press turns on a Google Now prompt.

I can't figure out how to change it back, or why it changed in the first place.

One possibility: The Google App that handles Google Now changed how it interacts with Bluetooth headsets. Previously it would start Voice Dialer, but as of last week's update there's an option to direct the button press action to Google Now. That option is NOT the default, though--I had to flip a switch in Google App's settings panes.

If Google App has taken over button press then it is possible that the Bluetooth headset "Play" action has been taken over by the default music player in Google Now's "ok google, play [music]" command. Google Now CAN set default apps for certain commands (stock Clock app vs Timely, for example, for various timer, alarm, etc., commands).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 14, 2015

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
I just had my S4 land on the corner of the screen and break it. Unfortunately, I didn't enable USB debugging beforehand like I should have, and there are a few things I'd like to recover which are gonna require that I have that enabled. I've read that I can push a kernel to my phone that has it enabled by default and use that, but I'm kind of at an utter loss as to what the hell I need and phones are not my forte. Not even sure if this is the right place to be asking, but anybody got advice for me? :shobon:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

JimmyBiskit posted:

I just had my S4 land on the corner of the screen and break it. Unfortunately, I didn't enable USB debugging beforehand like I should have, and there are a few things I'd like to recover which are gonna require that I have that enabled. I've read that I can push a kernel to my phone that has it enabled by default and use that, but I'm kind of at an utter loss as to what the hell I need and phones are not my forte. Not even sure if this is the right place to be asking, but anybody got advice for me? :shobon:

A better place to ask would be the rooted thread.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

JimmyBiskit posted:

Sounds like you're better off getting somebody to fix the screen instead of most likely bricking the phone trying to get the data off.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Massasoit posted:

I have a Nexus 5 as my very first smartphone and it's running lollipop 5.0.1. Seems to work great to me (with no other reference points besides fiddling with the occasional iOS device). I'm seen a lot of complaints about having to restart a phone and I guess I just don't get what the issue is. Can't stop watching that anime for two minutes to restart the phone?

edit: still poo poo at typing with swipe writing after 3 weeks.

It's really annoying that your music/podcasts/audio book cuts out randomly when you drive 2-4 hours a day and you can't restart your phone unless you pull over on the freeway once every few days.

jokrswild
Feb 12, 2004

I'm an astronomer, and these are the stars! Can you see the stars?
So I got a launch Nexus 5 (running 5.01), and I've been super happy with it - everything has been going great.

Until now.

Starting yesterday, I started having issues with my WiFi - Basically it'll get really flaky and now, it won't turn on - It'll be stuck on "Turning Wifi On" and never actually start.

And now, whenever I turn off the screen, the whole phone will reboot.

I initially thought it was an issue with an app, and tried uninstalling various recently updated apps. When that failed, I did a reset to factory settings, and when that failed, I just reimaged using a freshly downloaded 5.01 image from google.

And my wifi still won't turn on, and I still get the reboots on turning off the screen, and that's without logging in my Google account or downloading any apps whatsoever. Currently in safe mode, and that seems to be more stable, but still no wifi.

At this point, I'm guessing a hardware issue? Any ideas?

EDIT: Just downgraded to KitKat, no problems. Crazy.

Edit 2: Well, KitKat ended up having the problems. Just called Google support, they're replacing the Nexus 5 even though it's out of warranty. So, thanks Google!

jokrswild fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 15, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently the Snapdragon 810 thermals are indeed loving terrible.

https://plus.google.com/113781386215450614303/posts/1dQ2qRvCBjC

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why does Android keep the phone awake while charging? That seems inefficient.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
So you can get notifications? If you mean wake locked that's not normal android behavior and is either a problematic app or a bug with a Google service thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't know if it's a wake lock; I'm just looking at the built-in battery reporting screen, and the "awake" line is always solid while the phone's charging.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

I don't know if it's a wake lock; I'm just looking at the built-in battery reporting screen, and the "awake" line is always solid while the phone's charging.

Do you have daydream enabled?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
So I think one of the big causes of my memory issues is Facebook messenger... I've noticed times when I don't use it my phone seems to run much better (although I still end up having to restart it at least once a day due to this terrible memory leak.)

Anyone else had the same problem and is there a fix for it? It's gotten so bad that I've actually missed calls for work since the phone was out of memory and didn't start ringing until it was about to go to voicemail.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you have daydream enabled?

Nope.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

robodex posted:

So I think one of the big causes of my memory issues is Facebook messenger... I've noticed times when I don't use it my phone seems to run much better (although I still end up having to restart it at least once a day due to this terrible memory leak.)

Anyone else had the same problem and is there a fix for it? It's gotten so bad that I've actually missed calls for work since the phone was out of memory and didn't start ringing until it was about to go to voicemail.

Facebook Messenger alternates between smooth sailing and bringing even the most powerful of phones to its knees on a weekly basis. Only fix I know of is either getting rid of it, or waiting for them to get their poo poo together. It's being fixed supposedly, but I've heard that before.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

Facebook Messenger alternates between smooth sailing and bringing even the most powerful of phones to its knees on a weekly basis. Only fix I know of is either getting rid of it, or waiting for them to get their poo poo together. It's being fixed supposedly, but I've heard that before.

I think what makes me angriest about facebook messenger is how their updates don't actually say what is fixed/changed, it's just some BS about "constantly improving" or whatever

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I like how Facebook literally has something like a thousand mobile engineers and they can't seem to get a decent app out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

I like how Facebook literally has something like a thousand mobile engineers and they can't seem to get a decent app out.

If they put out a decent app they wouldn't need those thousand engineers anymore. Job security!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

myron cope posted:

I think what makes me angriest about facebook messenger is how their updates don't actually say what is fixed/changed, it's just some BS about "constantly improving" or whatever

This is pretty much every Google app update ever.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone have spare 64GB OPO invites left? I could use one :)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ihmemies posted:

No invites required on Tuesdays now

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

No invites required on Tuesdays now

But do they have enough to sell on Tuesdays? Well I guess one can always try.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ihmemies posted:

I imagine they have plenty stock they want to shift before they announce its successor and eliminate market demand. They've probably had a big stockpile for a good while now, but yknow perceived scarcity is the best way to create a tech consumer stampede

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

Yeah, if you're asking this, then you're playing right into their game of selling a cheap and buggy Shenzhen Special as some kind of premium, exclusive device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ihmemies posted:

You shouldn't.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

You shouldn't.

Indeed. There is literally no reason at all to get an OPO when you can just get a Moto X, Xperia phone, Huawei Honor 6 (it has 3Gb RAM aswell if that matters) or loads of other options.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Beside being, like, half the price, that is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Indeed. There is literally no reason at all to get an OPO when you can just get a Moto X, Xperia phone, Huawei Honor 6 (it has 3Gb RAM aswell if that matters) or loads of other options.
I don't really think a Huawei is a legitimate improvement over an OPO.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
My buddy ordered a oneplusone and the one he got would enter a restart loop whenever he plugged it into the wall or into his computer. The company charged him either 70$ or 90$, can't remember which one, to ship it back to them insured from Canada, before giving him a refund. They didn't refund the shipping fee. He then bought a Moto X.

Roll them dice son.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Endless Mike posted:

I've been told by more than one Chinese person that Oppo (who makes the OnePlus One) is the budget brand among Chinese consumers, and that Huawei/ZTE are much preferable. YMMV but it's what I've been told by people whose opinions I trust.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Endless Mike posted:

Shooting yourself in the balls is a legitimate improvement over an OPO.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ruby idiot railed posted:

One possibility: The Google App that handles Google Now changed how it interacts with Bluetooth headsets. Previously it would start Voice Dialer, but as of last week's update there's an option to direct the button press action to Google Now. That option is NOT the default, though--I had to flip a switch in Google App's settings panes.

If Google App has taken over button press then it is possible that the Bluetooth headset "Play" action has been taken over by the default music player in Google Now's "ok google, play [music]" command. Google Now CAN set default apps for certain commands (stock Clock app vs Timely, for example, for various timer, alarm, etc., commands).

Where is this setting? I've wanted this for a while, I hate how the Bluetooth button on my headsets launches the borderline useless LG voice app instead of Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Three Olives posted:

Where is this setting? I've wanted this for a while, I hate how the Bluetooth button on my headsets launches the borderline useless LG voice app instead of Now.

Its under Voice in the settings menu for Google Now. God know whether it actually works on an LG given how generally awful they are with software.

Sent from my LG G3