Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hey they release a new Assassins Creed game every couple minutes and they still make money right?

Megamans Creed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I think that prototype FPS Maverick Hunter had the right idea, at least as far as branding goes. The Mega Man name still sells to fans, but it's hella outdated from a mass market perspective in the year 2015. The core concepts and story beats of this series are still a very solid foundation to build a sci-fi franchise on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The solution for dying/dead franchises is give it to Retro.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, if you can't make money with a well established franchise like Mega Man is your own fault, really. You don't need Call of Duty numbers to make profit.

It's just that they prefer to use those resources on mobile games and Monster Hunter stuff that will provide immediate guaranteed profits, which is completely reasonable, businesses aren't dream factories, but the "Mega Man games didn't sell and were a thorn in Capcom's side" is an exaggeration.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ratchet & Clank was the closest there was to a 3D-equivalent for Megaman. Mascot platformer with an emphasis on combat, each took about a year to make due to reuse of code.

Most of 'em were good, too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just want there to be another Mega Man Collection release with 9 and 10 included so I can stop having to boot into Wii Mode for them.

Or for 9 and 10 to come to 3DS eShop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Petiso posted:

the "Mega Man games didn't sell and were a thorn in Capcom's side" is an exaggeration.

No it isn't. Well, the second part is but literally nobody has ever said that. We have sales numbers for the Mega Man games. They did not, in fact, sell well.

Again, this isn't about maliciousness or whatever. Capcom doesn't Secretly Hate Mega Man. (If the article posted earlier is correct, there probably isn't even any significant bad blood between Inafune and Capcom.) It's just that it is a pretty unsuccessful franchise especially for the sheer volume of games they put out for it.

And they probably can turn a profit off Mega Man but it isn't in the way people want. They turned a profit off MMBN for example, and they probably turned a profit off their mobile ports. I mean they're putting out a new Mega Man game soon, it's just that it is a mobile port using reused assets from Powered Up. It will also probably turn a profit. If you're okay with Mega Man existing in any shape or form then, yeah, it isn't hard for Capcom to turn a profit off it, but I really doubt the people clamoring for a new Mega Man game have that in mind.

And they will probably eventually give it another shot, especially if MN9 does uncommonly well, but they run into the problem of the development team who has done almost all their recent classic Mega Man stuff literally having two of their own franchises which are Mega Man knockoffs to work on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 16, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest issue with Megaman would probably be the difficulty curve. Sure, you can play through them in 40 minutes once you get used to the controls but it usually takes hours to learn a game that's ultimately closer to Ninja Gaiden than Flappy Bird in terms of barrier for entry. It's a bit of a shame, too. This thread is pretty solid proof that once you learn to like 'em, it's hard to stop. (For better or for worse. :v:)

Watched some blind runs on YouTube and they were pretty hilarious.

quakster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 16, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Just give Mega Man to Platinum.

I would love a Revengeance style Zero game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

legoman727 posted:

Just give Mega Man to Platinum.

I would love a Revengeance style Zero game.

Revengeance is basically a 3D Mega Man Zero game anyway. Isn't Vanquish supposed to be a modern, 3D Mega Man X game? If so then Platinum really should be the ones to hold the Mega Man IP.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yeah because nothing sells better than Platinum games

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mega Man games don't sell anyway so they might as well be fantastic action games. Besides, MGR:R sold spectacularly so they can sell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really doubt Capcom and Platinum are going to team up anytime.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ChaosArgate posted:

Isn't Vanquish supposed to be a modern, 3D Mega Man X game?
Not strictly, but it kinda feels like one, and both Mega Man and Vanquish took inspiration from Neo-Human Casshern. There was even supposed to be a robotic dog partner in Vanquish at one point.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Making a new MM game in the style people want is not going to ever turn a decent profit, unless it suddenly sees a surge in sales. Even Classic style titles are not as cheap to make as they used to be, and for them to see as much of a profit as they can get, they also need to spread it to as many systems as they can to maximize profit, but which also adds to costs. If MN9 does well, they might consider it, but right now? No way.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I keep seeing stuff about how the Megaman games were not profitable. Is that saying that they were not bringing in COD style numbers, or that they were not even recouping their production costs?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I think they might've been barely recouping production costs, though Legends 3 was predicted to not make back its costs and purely just be a passion project. Either way though, Capcom would consider a game a success once it hit CoD numbers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

I keep seeing stuff about how the Megaman games were not profitable. Is that saying that they were not bringing in COD style numbers, or that they were not even recouping their production costs?

It depends on the games.

Mega Man Legends for example was straight-up a bomb and didn't turn a profit. That is why Capcom was so reluctant to go back to that well.
The classic NES Mega Man games were mostly profitable. I don't think they ever did poorly.
The Mega Man Battle Network games were reasonably successful but moved a lot of merchandise (primarily in Japan). This last part is really important because MMBN wasn't quite Pokemon but it had the same sort of success where it could sell collectible toys to kids. They never gave it a particularly strong push outside Japan though.
The rest were a mix of profitable, nonprofitable and not profitable enough to justify a development team spending time on it. The later Mega Man Xs didn't recoup their production costs for example and I recall reading that Mega Man 8 heavily underperformed for its production cost. (Voice acting, animated cutscenes, higher-quality sprites, ect.)

Basically the further along you go, aside from the MMBN and MML spikes, the less profitable the franchise became while the production costs kept getting higher. In comparison Capcom saw huge spikes in their other franchises. (Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, even Devil May Cry) which makes it hard to go for scraping-by. This is compounded by the fact that they didn't really have a team to work on Mega Man. Most of their internal teams were being used on their more successful franchises. The teams who worked on the X series of games went on to work on Resident Evil, Monster Hunter and others for example. Inafune was being used as the project head on other games.

Most of their Mega Man stuff was contracted out to Inti Creates who had experience with it. They're now working on MN9 and Gunvolt so are not available to do more Mega Man work.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 16, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So I've been replaying the Zero series and I just noticed that out of all the bosses in the Megaman series, both bosses whose motivations are getting revenge for a boss from a prior game are squids.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Volt Catfish posted:

The solution for dying/dead franchises is give it to Retro.

Maverick Hunter was being made by a bunch of ex-Retro people, not that it made much difference.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So I've been replaying the Zero series and I just noticed that out of all the bosses in the Megaman series, both bosses whose motivations are getting revenge for a boss from a prior game are squids.

Not true, what about the Anchus brothers?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dabir posted:

Not true, what about the Anchus brothers?

I went on the Megaman wiki to check, and apparently Gravity Beetle was that too, so it's squids and beetles.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

alcharagia posted:

And Spiral Pegasus/Storm Eagle.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Oyster posted:

And Spiral Pegasus/Storm Eagle.

Storm Eagle I didn't know, who the hell is Spiral Pegasus?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

alcharagia posted:

Storm Eagle I didn't know, who the hell is Spiral Pegasus?
You might know him as "The Skiver" from Mega Man X5, the worst of the US names in that game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You best not be ragging on the awesomely awesome bad awesome names in Megaman X5 english version

Duff McWhalen is a better reploid than any other

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

KennyMan666 posted:

You might know him as "The Skiver" from Mega Man X5, the worst of the US names in that game.

Oh right, that guy. Well, to be fair, it's a poo poo name for a boss from a poo poo game.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
If you consider the Manga canon, Overdrive Ostrich was also pissed about X killing Storm Eagle.

Everyone likes Storm Eagle.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Captain Invictus posted:

You best not be ragging on the awesomely awesome bad awesome names in Megaman X5 english version

Duff McWhalen is a better reploid than any other
They're of varying quality. Duff McWhalen and Axle the Red are fine, Izzy Glow and Squid Adler are passable, Mattrex and The Skiver are horrible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
GRIZZLY SLASH. DUFF MCWHALEN. AXLE THE RED. DARK DIZZY. THE SKIIIIIIIIIVERRRRRRR

mattrex

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kinda wish they kept that lisp guy who announced the bosses names in X4, it was pretty cool.

MAGAMA DRAAAGOOOOOOON

FWOSST WAAAAALRWUSSSSS

Imagine him announcing the Guns N Roses name of the X5 bosses. Hell wasn't one of the VAs of RE married to one of the translators and convinced him to translate their name to sound the Guns n Roses crew?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Close. The voice actress for Claire localized X5, and did it as a joke/tribute to her husband at the time.

Here's the full story. http://www.gamesradar.com/guns-n-rosesmega-man-x5-mystery-solved-by-claire-redfield/

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

KennyMan666 posted:

They're of varying quality. Duff McWhalen and Axle the Red are fine, Izzy Glow and Squid Adler are passable, Mattrex and The Skiver are horrible.

"Mattrex" is the worst, simply because it robbed us of the glory that is BURN DINOREX.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's looking like the X figure Kickstarter is going to make it in the home stretch. Hoping it turns out a good quality, since I'm shelling out for both colors.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Blizzard Buffalo is the best MMX3 boss, because while all the other bosses are acting creepy or blowing up cities, he's just making ice art and being proud of himself.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Shine posted:

Blizzard Buffalo is the best MMX3 boss, because while all the other bosses are acting creepy or blowing up cities, he's just making ice art and being proud of himself.

uh that video clearly says his name is "Bilzzard Buffalo". :rolleyes:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

AHungryRobot posted:

uh that video clearly says his name is "Bilzzard Buffalo". :rolleyes:

Oh god damnit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The rail gun in Strafe has a really fun alt-fire that's a big charging ball of energy, and it just makes me think a properly made Mega Man FPS would rule. And no, I don't mean MM2 Doom, I mean something modern-looking.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Maverick hunter looked ok but i don't care for the qte kill thingies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olYCsHuqjOo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't care for those loving weapons. If he was using a pew pew gun that charged up it would at least feel like an attempt at a Mega Man game. And don't tell me that can't work in an FPS because I've played Hard Reset.