Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it's so you can rotate the mouse cursor, if you don't like the angle it is at.

you don't have a dial control so it won't work yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

graphics driver problems? it looks like the red swoosh is part of a circle-slash prohibitory symbol to me and it's mixing up two cursors

sometimes i get the comb cursor on my ati card
this makes sense since im using intel integrated graphics with lovely drivers, thanks.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

wandows

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

wonders

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

so itunes is saying photos on my ipad are taking up 3 gigs, whereas my ipad is saying they take up half a gig. based on the space remaining, i think itunes is right, so what is my ipad thinking?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

spankmeister posted:

I get that sometimes it's a bios bug

Huh weird. Guess gigabyte has a bad bios!!

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
hey Heresiarch if you're looking at this thread, i tried clicking on your digitalocean referral link from awhile ago and it didn't seem to work anymore. if you've got another one i'd click the poo poo out of it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

theflyingexecutive posted:

so itunes is saying photos on my ipad are taking up 3 gigs, whereas my ipad is saying they take up half a gig. based on the space remaining, i think itunes is right, so what is my ipad thinking?

i dont know anything about steveboxes but it seems like transcoding/downsampling images without telling the user is something that would fall under the heading of "just works" so maybe its that

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

or like your photostream cache wouldn't count as photos on the device but counts as space used by the photos app

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Deacon of Delicious posted:

hey Heresiarch if you're looking at this thread, i tried clicking on your digitalocean referral link from awhile ago and it didn't seem to work anymore. if you've got another one i'd click the poo poo out of it

that's weird, it shouldn't have changed. i assume you want it for the $10 starter credit? i just went and grabbed it again so this one ought to work

https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=656ba8038813

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Heresiarch posted:

that's weird, it shouldn't have changed. i assume you want it for the $10 starter credit? i just went and grabbed it again so this one ought to work

https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=656ba8038813

i think maybe i was just being a dunce before, but it worked this time.

yup, I'm interested in the :10bux:, but if I keep using this I also wanted to be sure you got your $25.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
well thank you, i hope the service works out for you

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

how do you turn off the thing where you shake a window around and everything else minimizes?

is it an easter egg and all of the programs see how angry I am and flee in terror?

I would like a way to make them stay and witness what happens to bad programs.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

how do you turn off the thing where you shake a window around and everything else minimizes?

is it an easter egg and all of the programs see how angry I am and flee in terror?

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-aeroshake-in-windows-7/

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i have literally never heard of this before

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

anthonypants posted:

i have literally never heard of this before

go ahead, try it
found ti once while bored

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

go ahead, try it

also re-shaking causes the windows to come back, which is nice when you do it accidentally

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

go ahead, try it
i did, and it worked as advertised

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm currently expanding a raid array. When it's done will it automatically make the logical drive bigger as well or do I need to do that separately? Also what's the difference between expanding an array and extending an array?

this is the only place I know where I'm not embarrassed to ask this question

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm currently expanding a raid array. When it's done will it automatically make the logical drive bigger as well or do I need to do that separately? Also what's the difference between expanding an array and extending an array?

you will probably have to expand the logical volume separately. this just makes your "physical" disk size larger.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so part of me is wondering if my beast pc is costing too much to run./ the problem is it acts liek a "server" and torrents etc. i dont want to turn it off

but i aint going to compromise

so servers and remote access and windows.. fully doable? i mean a lightweight server that serves files and is always on an d torrents. my other pc gets turned off and on when necessary

does windows have an easy solution for remoting, so ui can do what i need on server but using my beast pc

surely this ia c ommon scanrio

also if i was to make leightweight server what kinds of processors etc,. ram quirements would there be. would 4gb be enough? im not interested in lightning here, i dont mind waiting 5 seconds for a movie tos tream or whatever

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

how much electricity does it use lol & its almost certainly not worth it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont know. its a 550 w power supply so it could be as high as $90 a month, and that doesnt include 3 external hds, a printyer, and the tv for a monitior

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it wont use anything like the whole power supply rating unless u have 4 gpus or whatever

my imac idles at 40w with the display on

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

just set the display to sleep imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

it wont use anything like the whole power supply rating unless u have 4 gpus or whatever

my imac idles at 40w with the display on

yeah but your computer was designed to be low ppower. its like a little suzuki

mines more like, idk, drivign a H1 hummer around suburbs

lol but i jest

how would i ever find that out. i dont want to buy one of those things that measures power output.ugh

eitherway somethig in my hnouse is costingf us roughly twice of what others pay

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

just set the display to sleep imo

lol tvs dont have sleep. i just turn it off at night/not at home

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol in general

i do have one of these ya

maybe its using a tv as a monitor all day idk!!!!!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

so part of me is wondering if my beast pc is costing too much to run./ the problem is it acts liek a "server" and torrents etc. i dont want to turn it off

so servers and remote access and windows.. fully doable? i mean a lightweight server that serves files and is always on an d torrents. my other pc gets turned off and on when necessary

does windows have an easy solution for remoting, so ui can do what i need on server but using my beast pc

also if i was to make leightweight server what kinds of processors etc,. ram quirements would there be. would 4gb be enough? im not interested in lightning here, i dont mind waiting 5 seconds for a movie tos tream or whatever

ya it's called RDP and it works pretty well. better than open sores options like vnc and whatnot tbh

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

yeah but your computer was designed to be low ppower. its like a little suzuki

mines more like, idk, drivign a H1 hummer around suburbs

lol but i jest

how would i ever find that out. i dont want to buy one of those things that measures power output.ugh

eitherway somethig in my hnouse is costingf us roughly twice of what others pay

i got a power measuring thing for $20 from mitre 10

my computer has an 850 watt psu and 2 big ugly gfx cards it cost about 11 NZD per year to run

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

I bought a synology ds215j recently and it does just about everything I could want it to

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

i got a power measuring thing for $20 from mitre 10

my computer has an 850 watt psu and 2 big ugly gfx cards it cost about 11 NZD per year to run

also this, it's almost never going to be your computer unless someone's thrown a bitcoin miner on it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

echinopsis posted:

i have a core i5 and radeon r270x

both the pc and monitor take 96 watts at idle and about 270 watts fulled stressed out

your pc is almost certainly not the cause of your high electric bills

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
got a lovely old dualcore 2gb ram mac mini. would it benetit from yosemite at all? it's running lion now (badly)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Granbar posted:

got a lovely old dualcore 2gb ram mac mini. would it benetit from yosemite at all? it's running lion now (badly)

install linux

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

spankmeister posted:

install linux

already has it

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i wouldnt yosemite with that amount of ram

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

sometimes expanding and extended an array are the same thing, with some vendors expanding means you are adding in additional drives to the array which breaks parity and all that has to be rebuilt while extending involves dropping in a new independent array and the two are addressed as a single physical unit of storage. really depends on what you're working with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Maximum Leader posted:

i wouldnt yosemite with that amount of ram

Ugh, they are selling a mini with 2gb non-upgradeable. I don't see the point.