Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Out of the quarterbacks that participated in the 2009 Elite 11 Quarterback Camp only 4 of the 12 stayed at the original school they started their careers with.

Blake Bell at Oklahoma who got transitioned to tight end
Tyler Bray at Tennessee
Devin Gardner at Michigan
Austin Hinder at Cal who completed a total of two passes over 4 seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Crotch Bat posted:

This year? Perhaps. But even 3 steps back FSU is a better program than Louisville and you can't underestimate the amount of talent Louisville is losing that it can't replace as easily as FSU. Clemson likely reigns this year but I'd be more worried about NCSU making a run at the title game than Louisville.

I'll believe Clemson reigning anything once the season is over. They'll just choke on some nothing team at the last second to blow their chances and that was when they still had Chad Morris. I have no idea how they'll look without him. I could see NCSU pulling some crazy bullshit to make it to the title game.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Kim Jong Il posted:

You wouldn't say that about Petrino if you had to deal with him yearly like Big East or SEC fans did. He's not Saban or Meyer, but he's really good.

Just don't see it. We'll see where UL is in 5-6 years.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I'll believe Clemson reigning anything once the season is over. They'll just choke on some nothing team at the last second to blow their chances and that was when they still had Chad Morris. I have no idea how they'll look without him. I could see NCSU pulling some crazy bullshit to make it to the title game.

People are also forgetting that Clemson is losing a chunk of starters off that ferocious defense because many of them were upperclassmen. A healthy Deshaun Watson with last year's defense would be very hard to stop, but their defense will likely take a step back (even if it isn't a huge leap) and Watson has so far been pretty injury prone. There's also the whole no-more-Chad-Morris thing. Clemson is probably fine even with all that considered, but I think people are getting a little carried away just assuming they're going to dominate.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
And I think you guys hating Clemson are confusing with what I said, which was that they are the favorites to win it this year(and rightfully so) and will reign over the conference as such. I didn't say they were due to beat everyone by 40 and roll into the playoffs.

They're the favorites next year, they should be the favorites, people will make assumptions associated with a team being the favorite to win a given conference. Like now, when we assume the SEC champ will win the MNC. Of course, if recent history repeats itself then I guess we should be no more worried about that than Clemson winning the ACC, right?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I know talk is cheap and everything, but today some video came out of the Longhorns' offseason conditioning sessions. Every player is wearing a shirt that says NO MORE EXCUSES. I like Strong's style.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

And I think you guys hating Clemson are confusing with what I said, which was that they are the favorites to win it this year(and rightfully so) and will reign over the conference as such. I didn't say they were due to beat everyone by 40 and roll into the playoffs.

They're the favorites next year, they should be the favorites, people will make assumptions associated with a team being the favorite to win a given conference. Like now, when we assume the SEC champ will win the MNC. Of course, if recent history repeats itself then I guess we should be no more worried about that than Clemson winning the ACC, right?

Why do you believe this? They return the same amount of starters as Florida State, but less than Georgia Tech. Clemson's phenom QB can't seem to stay on the field for any sustained period of time. They lost one the best offensive minds in the country. To say without a doubt that Clemson are the favorites this year(especially before spring practices) would be fairly presumptuous.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

korrandark posted:

Why do you believe this? They return the same amount of starters as Florida State, but less than Georgia Tech. Clemson's phenom QB can't seem to stay on the field for any sustained period of time. They lost one the best offensive minds in the country. To say without a doubt that Clemson are the favorites this year(especially before spring practices) would be fairly presumptuous.

- FSU is going to take a step back. May or may not be a large one but it will not be going forward. No Winston and 4 of 5 OL gone means trouble for whoever takes snaps next.

- You don't need to be great to win the ACC. Good will suffice. Clemson will be good.

- They do lose a lot on D but they return a lot on O and I can tell you from experience you don't need a great OC if you've got great talent.

- I don't buy the Watson injury hype. His finger was a freak injury, not a common one, and his ACL tear wasn't severe enough to prevent him from playing further. A gimpy Watson still shredded South Carolina and broke a woeful 5 game losing streak against the Gamecocks.

- Their schedule isn't easy with GT and Miami on it but they get GT at home and FSU at home, a place I don't believe the Noles have won at in over a decade.

- Clemson is the favorite. They are the favorites in Vegas(odds were released a day or two ago, guess who Vegas picked), they will be voted the same by the media come preseason, I would guess the larger majority of preseason mags will pick them as well.

Once again, some of you seem to think I'm picking Clemson to win 11-12 games and roar into the playoffs when all I said was they're just the favorites. I personally don't see any ACC team in the playoffs next year

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Could definitely see GT winning the ACC and going to the playoffs unless Paul Johnson decides he doesn't want to coach well, like he does for every year he's not on the hot seat.

FSU is really really weird next year but should still win 10 games

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Crotch Bat posted:

- I don't buy the Watson injury hype. His finger was a freak injury, not a common one, and his ACL tear wasn't severe enough to prevent him from playing further. A gimpy Watson still shredded South Carolina and broke a woeful 5 game losing streak against the Gamecocks.

I don't necessarily disagree with your larger point but it's really funny that you listed this as a meaningful data point. South Carolina got shredded in their opener by a QB who got benched halfway through the year for being very bad. They were a bad team and beating them doesn't mean anything.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

NippleFloss posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with your larger point but it's really funny that you listed this as a meaningful data point. South Carolina got shredded in their opener by a QB who got benched halfway through the year for being very bad. They were a bad team and beating them doesn't mean anything.

I thought Kenny Hill was benched for unknown off the field stuff.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

pillsburysoldier posted:

Could definitely see GT winning the ACC and going to the playoffs unless Paul Johnson decides he doesn't want to coach well, like he does for every year he's not on the hot seat.

FSU is really really weird next year but should still win 10 games

GT replaces like all their RBs and WRs and I'll stop you before you say something like plug and play to remind you if they could really do that they would win the Coastal every year by default. It's never that simple and people should know better.

GT has a good QB and a whole lot of I'm not sure. They also lost legit OL and DL talent, too. They'll be Coastal favorites but playoffs? Cmon.

NippleFloss posted:

South Carolina was not that bad last year and that win mattered a ton to Clemson. Losing 5 in a row to your rival is damaging in many aspects to a program, it was a big win for them regardless.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacebump posted:

It's unclear, but while the OC did basically the same plays with Kyle Allen I think the latter actually showed he can throw 20 yards downfield.

e: Maybe I'm misremembering but there was some issue with Hill that Allen didn't really have.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 15, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crotch Bat posted:

GT replaces like all their RBs and WRs and I'll stop you before you say something like plug and play to remind you if they could really do that they would win the Coastal every year by default. It's never that simple and people should know better.

GT has a good QB and a whole lot of I'm not sure. They also lost legit OL and DL talent, too. They'll be Coastal favorites but playoffs? Cmon.

South Carolina was not that bad last year and that win mattered a ton to Clemson. Losing 5 in a row to your rival is damaging in many aspects to a program, it was a big win for them regardless.

GT replacing so much talent at RB and WR is definitely going to hurt, but our OL and DL are only losing one player each, and both of those units are expected to be very good next year.

Still, if GT does win the ACC next year, I bet it's still going to be left out of the playoffs.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

- FSU is going to take a step back. May or may not be a large one but it will not be going forward. No Winston and 4 of 5 OL gone means trouble for whoever takes snaps next.

Ohio State won a national championship doing exactly that last year. So it's not impossible. Clemson also lost the majority of its O-line.

Crotch Bat posted:

- Their schedule isn't easy with GT and Miami on it but they get GT at home and FSU at home, a place I don't believe the Noles have won at in over a decade.

Florida State destroyed them in Death Valley two years ago.

korrandark fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 16, 2015

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

That was the official reason but realistically the coaches wanted to put Allen in anyway by that point, based on what I've heard.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I miss that defense :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Guy I know has his 15 minutes (or 35 seconds) of fame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLKQL8FWCMg

:3:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Crotch Bat posted:

It was a big win for the program, but it didn't prove anything about Watson. They scored 35 points, which half the teams SC played last year managed including Kentucky and Tennessee and Vanderbilt (one point shy).

Clemson's defense held SCs offense in check which was more important since they'd been putting up a lot points in most of their games.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pakled posted:

GT replacing so much talent at RB and WR is definitely going to hurt, but our OL and DL are only losing one player each, and both of those units are expected to be very good next year.

Still, if GT does win the ACC next year, I bet it's still going to be left out of the playoffs.

No ACC team will post better than a 10-2 regular season mark. Too many OOC games that have no business being played and entirely too much mediocrity and/or unknowns amongst every program for someone to make a real run at it.

Fair enough. They've each only won on the road once in the past decade, though, so the game tends to favor the home team immensely as of late.

NippleFloss posted:

It was a big win for the program, but it didn't prove anything about Watson. They scored 35 points, which half the teams SC played last year managed including Kentucky and Tennessee and Vanderbilt (one point shy).

Clemson's defense held SCs offense in check which was more important since they'd been putting up a lot points in most of their games.

I dare say his passing was on point(14/19 for 269 and 2 TDs, 14ypa) and with his torn ACL he was half the QB he normally was so putting up 35 is more than reasonable. A mobile, healthy Watson probably could have heaped on a few more points, I think.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Alabama State coach accused of paying players and threatening them with knives.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I'm no coach/disciplinarian but what is not talking during meals supposed to accomplish exactly?

quote:

Players were not allowed to talk during pre-game meals

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Looks like Ray Lewis's methods work and we can declare Coaching Bad a success

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Eh, Tennessee will probably be a lot better next season. Missouri has to be the favorites to win the East, because Georgia can't stop handing them the division, Florida's gonna take some time, and South Carolina looks to be trending down, but Tennessee has all the right things going on. I'm also curious (as an outsider) how Arkansas will do. They looked unstoppable in a few games this season, and the bowl game was the kind of win that leaves a pretty strong impression.

Missouri doesn't play Bama (or LSU, Auburn, or aTm) so they basically already have a 1 game lead on Georgia and Tennessee.

Georgia gets Bama the week before @Tennessee and then Missouri at the end of that 3 week stretch, and also has to go play @Auburn, so that looks unfavorable.

Tennessee's conference schedule isn't too bad assuming they can win @UF, but they have to play @Missouri at the end of the year so that might screw them with a tiebreaker situation if Missouri is sitting there with 1-2 conference losses again.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I'm no coach/disciplinarian but what is not talking during meals supposed to accomplish exactly?

Getting yourself in the right mindset or some poo poo like that.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That seems like some bullshit holdover you might see from a bootcamp or something.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Missouri doesn't play Bama (or LSU, Auburn, or aTm)

holy poo poo, that's the SEC golden ticket right there.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i remember how loving absurdly over the top the hype for that game was in the week leading up to it. the pregame show looked like it was the goddamn oscars or a presendential election, they had convoys of limos and team buses and like 10 different news helicopters and poo poo, police holding back crowds of thousands behind ropes outside the stadium. it was one of the most surreal things i'd ever seen and espn/abc were screaming about it being the game of the century!! tajh boyd vs jameis winston heisman showdown!!!

then the game was a big wet sloppy loving fart

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

We weren't terrible, but our defense was historically bad. Like, one of the worst we've fielded in our program (which includes a couple winless and one-win seasons). Our offense kept our season afloat, to the extent that unit was actually historically excellent. But man, it's hard to overstate just how bad that defense was, because it ruined the hell out of that offense. Clemson beat our worst team in five years and that's (unironically) great for them, but unfortunately beating us doesn't mean a whole lot right now in the grand scheme of things.

Lest anyone think I'm being too harsh on Clemson because of my bias, I think we're going to be even worse this year and might struggle to make it to 6-6.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 16, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

RumbleFish posted:

We weren't terrible, but our defense was historically bad. Like, one of the worst we've fielded in our program (which includes a couple winless and one-win seasons). Our offense kept our season afloat, to the extent that unit was actually historically excellent. But man, it's hard to overstate just how bad that defense was, because it ruined the hell out of that offense. Clemson beat our worst team in five years and that's (unironically) great for them, but unfortunately beating us doesn't mean a whole lot right now in the grand scheme of things.

Lest anyone think I'm being too harsh on Clemson because of my bias, I think we're going to be even worse this year and might struggle to make it to 6-6.

It was important that they win that game and Watson, on a hobbled leg, performed well. I don't mean to suggest it was program defining, just that it mattered to them and them alone.

You can't put a price on that kind of stuff. Breaking streaks against your rival is important, keeping them can impact an entire program. UVA hasn't beaten VT in 11 years and it's absolutely changed some of their program(Mike London is a thing because Groh couldn't beat VT and London was brought in largely to try and change that) and those people will celebrate like lunatics, and rightfully so, when eventually that streak comes to an end. Rivalries are a huge part of the sport and Clemson playing second banana to South Carolina for 5 years in a row was a huge embarrassment for them.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 16, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News: Iowa State keeps losing returning and projected starters. Not even to transfer. They're just up and quiting at a rate of like one a week.

Views: We're gonna lose to an FCS school again this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG hired Brian Ward, the defensive coordinator from Western Illinois. Who?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thoguh posted:

News: Iowa State keeps losing returning and projected starters. Not even to transfer. They're just up and quiting at a rate of like one a week.

Who left now?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Will still somehow beat Iowa.

Speaking of, why the poo poo do you guys play so early? I get not being in the same conference but it's not like everyone else doesn't work around that anyway. Is there some tradition or does the corn god says no rivalry game after the harvest?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Probably just because they can't get their respective conference schedules to match up to allow a game at the end of the season. I can't think of any other Big 10 or Big 12 teams that have regularly scheduled rivals outside of the conference.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Meltathon posted:

Probably just because they can't get their respective conference schedules to match up to allow a game at the end of the season. I can't think of any other Big 10 or Big 12 teams that have regularly scheduled rivals outside of the conference.

Notre Dame had pretty regular games with Michigan, MSU and Purdue for a while.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Thoguh posted:

At least Iowa State's not afraid to line up against the big boys of the MVC.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

N: Stanford RB coach Lance Taylor to UGA to coach WRs.

V: Mark Richt just hit peak 'run the dang ball.'

Edit: And just that quickly, it has been redacted. NVM.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 16, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pakled posted:

I think it's going to heavily depend on how good the B12 looks this year. If the ACC champ (Clemson or GT in all likelyhood) can get by with at most 1 loss, it'd be tough to keep them out unless Baylor/TCU looks insane and goes undefeated.

The problem with the Clemson/GT scenario (like always) is that we have to play each other in the regular season as well, then potentially again in the ACCCG. If you lose that first match up, even if you win the championship I'm not sure it'd make you look strong enough unless the B12 is weak.

Honestly though I just hope we both beat the poo poo out of Notre Dame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Meltathon posted:

The only one I can immediately think of is TCU/SMU.

• Locked thread