Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

True. Vane is basically her murder/sex Golem at this point. Tough to give that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

If Flint's men get on the island and get caught up on current events, he's in for yet another mutiny. Vane's latest act of savagery has to be the single most effective act of peacekeeping in the history of Nassau.

E: I take it back. Most of those pirates aren't bright enough to put it all together. Vane and Flint are going to stand there until somebody blinks or the Scarborough shows up and distracts the both of them.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 10, 2015

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

I do like how quickly Silver has gotten the entire crew on board with his daily tell all.

Unfortunately he seems to have replaced Gates as Flint's right hand man who has doubts about him but is choosing to follow the captain over the crew at certain points.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Horse Divorce posted:

If Flint's men get on the island and get caught up on current events, he's in for yet another mutiny. Vane's latest act of savagery has to be the single most effective act of peacekeeping in the history of Nassau.

E: I take it back. Most of those pirates aren't bright enough to put it all together. Vane and Flint are going to stand there until somebody blinks or the Scarborough shows up and distracts the both of them.

Yeah, the guys who had to be educated during the "we're on a Spanish warship" scene should be easy enough to convince that Vane killed a pirate crew just to steal their poo poo.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Finally caught up. I, uh, did not expect Lowe to end his storyline so quickly. :stare:

Also, someone really needs to gif Jack's expressions as he slowly realizes he's getting a threesome. "What is she... oh... OH!"

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Axel Serenity posted:

Also, someone really needs to gif Jack's expressions as he slowly realizes he's getting a threesome. "What is she... oh... OH!"

His "we'll sail again" expression was even better.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

The use of mortars actually required very specialized ships with greatly different designs than normal seafaring ships. They had to be hugely reinforced internally to deal with the stresses of firing the mortar.

Since they were so well reinforced they ended up being used as expedition vessels for Arctic and Antarctic explorations; Mount Erebus in Antarctica is named for the HMS Erebus (and Mount Terror is named for the HMS Terror), a former mortar ship.

Mount Terror is the best god drat name.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I missed the reason, but why did vane fix his reputation

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

SaltLick posted:

I missed the reason, but why did vane fix his reputation

(Sorry I'm terrible with names but) The French chick let him know that One eye guy had a kidnapped chick that was worth a lot of money, so in exchange he offered to fix his reputation.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Getting rid of the one-eyed guy this early was intriguing, not gonna lie. All in all this season is noticeably stronger than the last one.

Eleanor's actress is still utterly terrible, but fortunately she isn't on the screen much, and most of the rest of the cast is pretty good.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
More specifically, Vane knew that Lowe had something worth a lot of money since Lowe's quartermaster told Guthrie during their secret meeting and then she told Vane. So he went to Max to have her find out and tried to just pay her, but instead she wanted Jack's reputation restored so that they can proceed with the plan that Jack came up with that one night (which Max is a partner in).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

VDay posted:

More specifically, Vane knew that Lowe had something worth a lot of money since Lowe's quartermaster told Guthrie during their secret meeting and then she told Vane. So he went to Max to have her find out and tried to just pay her, but instead she wanted Jack's reputation restored so that they can proceed with the plan that Jack came up with that one night (which Max is a partner in).

The plan is to be the most bad rear end pirates on the show btw.

It's a flawless plan.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I thought they were going to use Max as John Silver's future wife since she was described as being in charge of his finances, which she seems suited for, and foreign. Ah well the 3rd part of the Anne/Jack threesome works too

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SaltLick posted:

I thought they were going to use Max as John Silver's future wife since she was described as being in charge of his finances, which she seems suited for, and foreign. Ah well the 3rd part of the Anne/Jack threesome works too

Still not too late for that. She's obviously not Mary Reed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just heard about this show and binged it all in the past week or so. Holy poo poo this show owns. I'm sad I ran out of episodes to blast through.

Man, on that season 1 finale when the war ship opened up all the cannon doors, fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Also, Anne Bonny :swoon:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 11, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm through episode 3 and goddamn does this show own. Vane is such a beast.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Go Team Flint.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

One thing I've noticed the last week or so is that if you have Starz as part of your cable package, the new episodes show up to stream On Demand a full day ahead of the episode airing, from what I can tell.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That would usually mean it would be up on the high seas by now. But it ain't.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Never mind, I guess it just shows up when aired, I must have some recording conflict that only causes the DVR to record a later broadcast than when it first airs.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Zwabu posted:

One thing I've noticed the last week or so is that if you have Starz as part of your cable package, the new episodes show up to stream On Demand a full day ahead of the episode airing, from what I can tell.

The episodes are, however, up on Starz Encore a day early. I watched Episode 4 last night.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Fire.

:black101:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kind of annoying it took all episode to get to that point and then it ends.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
My favorite scene tonight was definitely the one where Silver learns just how miserable of a person Flint is. Then it gets reinforced with his decision to fire at the end.

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 15, 2015

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:suspense:

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
:tviv: I knew his freaking forearms wouldn't give out. BILLY, MAN!

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
this is a very good and entertaining show, more people should watch it

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm actually surprised by how much I'm enjoying the flashback scenes with Flynt. They actually reflect a bit of the historical complexity and nuance that I don't usually expect to see from this show.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm really enjoying Flint's backstory too, not just for the historical nuance but because I'm appreciating his motivations more and more. The scene where Silver calls him on the fact that he cares what people think of him was intense after getting to know him better.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
They'll have to go over my corpse to get to this show! Time to raise the black!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The basic setup of Black Sails would make for a pretty awesome game. Best playable characters would be John Silver or Jack Rack'em.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Zwabu posted:

The basic setup of Black Sails would make for a pretty awesome game. Best playable characters would be John Silver or Jack Rack'em.

Naval Action is scratching my ship battle itch quite nicely

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buying it tomorrow!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

A Black Flag mod (can you even mod the AC series?) would be amazing

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Tighclops posted:

I'm really enjoying Flint's backstory too, not just for the historical nuance but because I'm appreciating his motivations more and more. The scene where Silver calls him on the fact that he cares what people think of him was intense after getting to know him better.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one thinking this. I'm also surprisingly liking Thomas Hamilton and his ideas, even though they should cause me to :rolleyes: hard. Him, Flint and Miranda Barlow really make a weird bunch. I hope there won't be stupid soap drama involved between them. Having Flint at least seemingly genuinely respect the guy even with his pecularities is so much more delicious and interesting

Wasn't there a scene involved with Flint and the memory of Thomas Hamilton upon the discovery of the painting or something in the first season? It really weirded me out how, the guy who even then was implied to have been cheating "behind" the husband's back before his death didn't seem to scorn the guy at all. Or was it just Miranda in the scene?

v edit: Yeah she did. Doesn't stop potential bullshit drama in most TV though.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 16, 2015

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I thought when Hamilton's wife/Barlow finally came onto Flint in his room that she told him something to the effect that Hamilton knew about her sleeping around and didn't care? Like either they have an open type arrangement, or maybe he's gay and she's playing beard for him or whatever.

I really like the flashbacks too. But I'm still cringing inside waiting to see what the big blowup that led to Flint leaving or getting booted out of the Navy and becoming a badass pirate was.

The leadup has been good. I'm hoping the payoff isn't incredibly stupid.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Must have been known she was a bit of a go'er. The old boy called her out resulting in Flint kicking him out his own house.

It does seem like they are using Lady Hamilton from much later in history who was Lord Nelson's mistress.

He announces that Nelson used a similar signal at the Battle of the Nile: "England knows Lady Hamilton is a virgin. Poke my eye out and cut off my arm if I'm wrong."

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Must have been known she was a bit of a go'er.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ona-RhLfRfc

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 16, 2015

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I like Hamiltons idea too.

I'm no history buff, so correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the British help jump start piracy by contracting these guys as privateers ("legally" pirating enemy Fench and Spanish ships)?
Hamiltons plan makes more sense from that context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Falukorv posted:

I like Hamiltons idea too.

I'm no history buff, so correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the British help jump start piracy by contracting these guys as privateers ("legally" pirating enemy Fench and Spanish ships)?
Hamiltons plan makes more sense from that context.

i can't remember the specifics but it went like, British are fighting Spain, hire a bunch of crews to attack their shipping, then the war ends and the British leave them high and dry.

• Locked thread