Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Captain Apollo posted:

Welp :drones:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/02/15/386464188/commercial-drone-rules-to-limit-their-speed-and-altitude

I wonder how much the line of sight idea will bring operators up in arms.

Now if they would get to Eliminating the 3rd Class medical issue that would be grand.

Edit: whoops forgot this little tidbit.
I, for one, love these proposed rules. They allow me the freedom to do everything I'm already doing for money. BLOS operation is not necessary for the majority of uses, and even if it were then I can use an ATV or car to maintain LOS. I will be first in line to get my UAS permit when it is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

slidebite posted:

Serious question though, is it really a problem? You hear about idiots flying near airports every now and then, but in the big picture is there even a problem that needs to be solved? I see the potential for unintended consequences being pretty large. Hopefully if something like this does go ahead it gets tightened up significantly in the review/consultation phase.

A big part of the problem is that most of what people want to do with drones is in a grey area or outright illegal under current regulations. The solution for a lot of operators has been to just say "screw the law" and do it anyway. That's not such a big deal when you're talking about a wedding photographer getting an overhead shot with a Parrot, but when you get into the big leagues, the problems get thornier. If the wedding photographer can openly flout the law with their non-redundant toy, why not somebody with a much heavier custom drone for Hollywood movie shoots? Do we crack down on everybody, including the people who are effectively harmless? Do we crack down on nobody, and write it off as the cost of doing business if a heavy commercial drone crashes on somebody's car in a populated area?

Having clear rules for everybody is a really good thing if you want to encourage responsible development. That's especially true when you're telling the public that you'll be suspending complex machines over their heads, that could easily fall out of the sky if something goes wrong. A lot of drone operators are getting :qq: because there will be rules, and they'll have to pay attention to them, but they're ignoring what will likely happen otherwise: they get to play in the wild west for a while, then somebody does something really big and really stupid, and the huge public backlash hits them far harder than rules developed in advance.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Is this for the DoD contracts handed out for Russian Air Force to carry the heaviest poo poo to Middle East?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Vahakyla posted:

Is this for the DoD contracts handed out for Russian Air Force to carry the heaviest poo poo to Middle East?

Antonov is a Ukrainian company (in this case, the airframe designer and the cargo airline are one and the same), and while they do a fair bit of hauling for military applications, ADB also do a ton of civilian contracts. I see them once every three to six months around where I live, hauling stuff in support of the oil and gas industry.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Not sure. But it's in the air right now, headed to Columbus http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/A124

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
My bad, confused the countries. Ukraine's gonna be part of Russia soon anyway.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

Antonov is a Ukrainian company (in this case, the airframe designer and the cargo airline are one and the same), and while they do a fair bit of hauling for military applications, ADB also do a ton of civilian contracts. I see them once every three to six months around where I live, hauling stuff in support of the oil and gas industry.

Dumb question - is Antonov now completely hosed as a company because their biggest customer is the Russian Military?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dumb question - is Antonov now completely hosed as a company because their biggest customer is the Russian Military?

Right now the An-124 lift contracts are what's keeping them afloat, apparently. They've still got a few An-158s to build for Cuba, I think, and maybe an overhaul contract for the Indian Air Force.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Short term, no, Antonov is doing alright. But, the business is unsustainable long-term as not only do they not have the resources to design and build a replacement aircraft, they would very likely be the only customers for it - the market for civilian oversize cargo aircraft like the An-124 and -225 is a few dozen worldwide at the most.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I saw this shared someplace and the guy has got a kick rear end series, guessing that is the Mach Loop in Wales. Probably been in this thread before but hey I hadn't seen it!

IMG_7080 by welshi23, on Flickr

His complete set is loving awesome.

So cool
IMG_7026a by welshi23, on Flickr

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pssh fighters. loving amateurs them

(check the co-pilot pulling his apple off the side window)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

:siren:DRONECHAT:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNmXYwoPwSg

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
The best Mach Loop pic:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Good ad for gopro at least...

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

At least someone got a free gopro out of it. I doubt the uploader is the owner/operator but he will probably (hopefully) have the authorities knocking on his door regardless.

I have personally seen at least one instance where a professional drone/uav company flew through the ILS area of an active landing runway at our local international airport by accident due to a software fault (thing ended up in the garden of a colleague of mine... A straight line between the starting point and where it ended up had the approach area in it. Oops). It was all solved amicably and the poor guy learned his lesson, but it could have ended up very badly very easily indeed, even though it was not a very large machine and it never went above 500 feet

Meanwhile there are still no real rules or regulations in EASA-land.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There was a drone who almost crashed with a helicopter in Norway a month ago. A military helicopter was on final approach, about 400 meters from the runway and a drone flew 15-30 meters above it. There wouldn't be any need for regulation if drones were unavailable to morons.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Yea gently caress that guy in the video.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jonny Nox posted:

Pssh fighters. loving amateurs them

(check the co-pilot pulling his apple off the side window)

Amen. Blue Angels? Thunderbirds? Oh, that's cute, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZMWI77b84

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

DeusExMachinima posted:

It's not enforceable.

Like hell it isn't. :unsmigghh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ola posted:

There wouldn't be any need for regulation if drones were unavailable to morons.

This is true for pretty much all regulations, by the way.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Oooh, the schadenfreude is strong with this video.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

This is loving hilarious. Every time you think that one last insult has been added to the injury, there is always one more. If you want a vision of the future, imagine a wheel stamping on an unmanned aircraft - forever.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 16, 2015

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Why the gently caress would someone think that is a good idea to do. It's amazing how stupid people can make enough money to afford drones.

THANKS OBAMA

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
This was one of the results when I image searched for avenger pics:

My favorite part about this image is that the lower missiles are mounted to the upper missiles. Why not?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

My favorite part about this image is that the lower missiles are mounted to the upper missiles. Why not?

Hahahahahaha

For the record the quad-rail launchers (like you see mounted on Apaches) are something that GA regularly portrays the Reaper carrying in promotional drawings and poo poo, despite the fact that they would never actually be a thing on a real airframe for a whole bunch of reasons.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

needs more dakka

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

iyaayas01 posted:

Hahahahahaha

For the record the quad-rail launchers (like you see mounted on Apaches) are something that GA regularly portrays the Reaper carrying in promotional drawings and poo poo, despite the fact that they would never actually be a thing on a real airframe for a whole bunch of reasons.

Do the reasons include "would look way too cool in real life"?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Probably weight, flat plate drag, and ground clearance.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not that it's any less ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure those are just the regular double launchers, not quads.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The only way that would be better is if there were two sidewinders on the wingtips.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The only way that would be better is if there were two sidewinders on the wingtips.

Nope. It'd be better if they mirrored the hardpoints on *top* of the wing as well.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Needs one two a whole poo poo load of the F4's old gun pods, too.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's only going to be another 10 or so years now! (But this is an election year and the slowness over the making of this decision is a goddamn embarrassment so)

Fixed wing SAR aircraft choices whittled down to three. These are the C-27J Spartan, the C-130J, and Airbus's C295. There are no Canadian dogs in this hunt as the requirements were rejiggered to get rid of them, for all I know.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

quote:

“For your information, we have also provided similar cost data on the A-10 aircraft,” states an unclassified memo War Is Boring obtained from the Air Force Historical Research Agency. “The estimated cost to make 275 A-10s nuclear capable is $15.9 million.”

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-a-10-might-have-become-a-nuclear-strike-plane-8f065b09afe0

lol

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

yeah unless they were planning on dropping davy crockett rounds, i dont see that ending well for the a-10 pilot

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

bitcoin bastard posted:

yeah unless they were planning on dropping davy crockett rounds, i dont see that ending well for the a-10 pilot

CAS nukes wouldn't go well for the troops either :D Possibly overkill as well...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Load‐bearing ordnance. :jebcry:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 17, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

There are no Canadian dogs in this hunt as the requirements were rejiggered to get rid of them, for all I know.
Well it'd definitely fit with historic precedent. Though they still need to order Bombardier to destroy every Dash 8 plane in existence and burn the blueprints in order to turn this into a real Canadian Procurement Story. :canada:

Have some gaudily colored Egyptian Rafale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would be perfectly happy with a Canadian Osprey