Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

this thread is gay, and so are you

Oh, that's great... except it isn't a link to a scary or unnerving wikipedia article. Thanks for playing, try again! :downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Odobenidae posted:

this thread is gay, and so are you

Oh man, this is like the first thread I ever started, is this what threadshitting is? Is this threadshitting? It's all exciting and new.

I could have loving sworn everyone was posting pretty decent articles, certainly not bad ones, but now apparently everything is "gay" which I guess you're implying is bad in this context. That's really mean and edgy!

Seriously though, post some real articles and stop bein' jerks. I don't poo poo up your threads, dammit :argh:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I think some of the worst things that could happen are just things that are random and uncontrollable. At least in present times we do have some kind of warning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown_Flood

quote:

The Johnstown Flood (locally, the Great Flood of 1889) occurred on May 31, 1889, after the catastrophic failure of the South Fork Dam on the Little Conemaugh River 14 miles (23 km) upstream of the town of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA. The dam broke after several days of extremely heavy rainfall, unleashing 20 million tons of water (18 million cubic meters) from the reservoir known as Lake Conemaugh. With a flow rate that temporarily equalled that of the Mississippi River,[2] the flood killed 2,209 people and caused US$17 million of damage (about $425 million in 2012 dollars).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heppner_Flood_of_1903

quote:

The Heppner Flood of 1903 was a major flash flood along Willow Creek responsible for destroying a large portion of Heppner, Oregon, United States, on June 14, 1903. With a death toll of 247 people, it remains the deadliest natural disaster in Oregon, and the second deadliest flash flood in the entire United States, behind the 1889 Johnstown Flood and ahead of the 1972 Black Hills Flood. The flood caused over $600,000 in damage.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Black_Hills_flood

quote:

2012 saw the 40 year anniversary of the fateful flood. Survivors remarked on the horrific events. Rita, who was 20 at the time, described the scene, "There was so many [people] in trees and screaming and crying and the sparks were flying from electric wires, houses were on fire, it was just — it was hell," she says. Rita was seven months pregnant at the time of the tragedy. She describes her fears as, "I wouldn't wish that upon nobody," she says. "That's a nightmare and a half to think that you're going to die in water and your mom is gonna go with you and you're trying to do your best to keep your mom alive." Rita and her mother were swept against a building and thankfully rescued. There were others with the same nightmares while others were worse. Good Samaritans, like Alex were left to clean up the mess and search for the less fortunate. He describes a gruesome scene, "I found a boy about 5 years old," Alex says. "He was dead, laying on some debris. I didn't touch him or nothing, I just went back and told the authorities where he was at. Then I quit." This was only the beginning of the aftermath.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_David_Coughlin

this article has been posted many times in this thread and the ones before it.

I just watched a movie called Scenic Route on Netflix. While I dont think its specifically based on any true events I was reminded of that article the whole time I was watching it.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
That story reminds me a lot of the movie Gerry.

Edit: Which I just noticed is linked in the 'see also' section.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Sometimes poo poo just goes wrong in a way that's almost comical. Almost, because it ended up killing 600 people. I'm talking, of course, of the 1947 Texas City Disaster.

A ship full of ammonium nitrate fertilizer bound for the farms of recently-liberated Europe caught fire at the pier, and burned long enough for the entire local volunteer fire department to turn out before the ship detonated in one of the biggest non-nuclear manmade explosions ever, leveling most of the town and killing all but one of the firefighters, along with a whole lot of people who had gathered on a nearby pier to watch the fire.

That's just terrible and sad, but then it got hilariously worse.

You see, as a major seaport in Texas, Texas City's main local industry was oil refining and storage, receiving oil piped in from the East Texas field and farther afield, to be refined, stored, and until fairly recently at the time of the disaster, shipped over to fuel Eisenhower and Patton's conquest of Nazi-occupied Europe. The war being over, all the storage tanks were full, and various chemical plants had been built nearby to take advantage of the existing facilities.

Of course, the gigantic loving explosion knocked all that over and set it on fire. First responders from nearby cities initially couldn't get into town to help, the fires were so intense.

And then poo poo got Biblical.

There was another ship full of fertilizer moored near the one that blew up, and it caught fire when the first one went off. Fifteen hours later, despite a valiant but unsuccessful effort by the crew to get underway and move the burning ship out of the harbor, it exploded as well.

That's the ship that was tied up alongside the second one to blow up. The only recognizable parts of the two that blew up were the anchors from the first and and a propeller from the second, found a mile and a half and a mile inland, respectively.

One anchor and the prop and the other anchor are now the centerpieces of two memorial parks in the city, though I can't find if the anchors were moved from their impact sites or if the parks were built around them.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Noose Induce posted:

Fuckin hilarious. Good job. 10/10, wow I never saw that coming. That was loving amazing. I hope you're loving proud of
yourself you HILARIOUS motherfucker. I've never seen that before.
5'd. Masterstroke. Goldmine. Upvoted. You definitely aren't ruining this thread. I hope you never die so we can enjoy your posting FOREVER

Edit: I mean really, you did a good job. I've never been trolled before and this is my first day on the internet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOL

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There was plenty of warning for the 1889 Johnstown Flood, but the rich people who owned the dam ignored it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Not in this thread. It's too long a story to post in this thread without being horribly off-topic. And honestly, I really don't even loving want to type it out because just thinking about it still shakes me up to this day. :(

The super short version is, we came very close to losing one of our dogs because my dad was too retarded to keep the loving backyard doors closed while working outside so they wouldn't escape, like I've been telling him to do since I was ELEVEN, and it took a literal string of just-in-the-nick-of-time events to keep him from dying before anyone even noticed he was gone. And when I say "just-in-the-nick-of-time", I mean that if any one of those events had happened as little as 2 or 3 seconds later than they did, then that dog would have been dead, and my dad's whole head and upper body would today be heavily disfigured and thick with scar tissue from the hurricane of claw hammer blows and "unlicensed" car battery brain-jolts I gave him as punishment for letting my doggy die.

loving great, now it's 2:30 AM and I'm too worked up from typing that to fall asleep. Are you happy now, Anoia?

Holy poo poo get therapy you loving nutjob

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Can someone post a bunch of links to weird side effects of diseases that are being brought back by anti-vaxxers? I know there were some posts on this a few pages ago, but I want just a shitload of links to as many side-effects, secondary diseases, and all the various ways not getting vaccinated can gently caress poo poo up for a bunch of people so I can bookmark it and then throw links to it at people on facebook who are anti-vax

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

blunt for century posted:

Can someone post a bunch of links to weird side effects of diseases that are being brought back by anti-vaxxers? I know there were some posts on this a few pages ago, but I want just a shitload of links to as many side-effects, secondary diseases, and all the various ways not getting vaccinated can gently caress poo poo up for a bunch of people so I can bookmark it and then throw links to it at people on facebook who are anti-vax

The trouble is the majority of good resources on this are government health sites, and anti-vaccers tend to believe the government is in bed with big pharma and putting deadly poisons in vaccines and... Ugh. Give them another source and they'll say it's not reliable, because they only trust the word of the quacks who say things they like.

From the schadenfreude thread:

acejackson42 posted:

So, a woman calls into an anti-vaccination segment on the local talk-radio station to express her support for Coast-to-Coast radio and more specifically Andrew Wakefield, who happened to be a guest on C-C recently. She starts extolling the virtues of Wakefield and the anti-vax movement when the host cuts in and points out that Wakefield is so absolutely and completely discredited as to be unable to practice medicine in any form anymore.

Cue the government conspiracies and mind control spiel and another few minutes of MMR vaccine lunacy. And finally, the caller says she was never vaccinated and had the measles and all her friends had the measles and they never had any trouble whatsoever and that's why it's all a bunch of garbage.

Host mentions the chance for complications...

And the caller brings up her brother... who caught measles as a child and it 'messed up his brain and he was retarded for the rest of his life'.

Her words. Her exact words. Her exact loving words. But she didn't get messed up so whatever.

These people exist, and that's why we're where we are today when it comes to the sudden surge of anti-vax stupidity.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

blunt for century posted:

The problem with your plan is that it's almost never about the science for those people. They already know the science, they know the consequences, and none of that is sinking in. It's a status thing, a symbol of privilege, to be anti-vaccine in this day and age. People who don't vaccinate themselves or their children feel empowered and confident in the knowledge that they, as part of a special and super intelligent few, have one-upped the rest of us. It's like they're all in a race to be the most granola parents of them all. The same thing that drives conspiracy theorists to be smug fuckers and drives rich, affluent teens to dress, act, and live as if they are homeless for some sort of bizarre street cred is the thing that makes these parents decide not to vaccinate their children. They will not be moved by pictures of children dying from complications of these diseases because they get more out of being able to brag about being anti-vaccine to their PTA friends.

The assholes who decided gluten was poison and went gluten free when they had no symptoms have just aged and had kids. Those same people are now stupidly making anti-vaccine decisions to be part of the same, hosed up type of trend with no scientific basis.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Any disagreement is seen as proof of the conspiracy, and actually reinforces their misguided ideas. You cannot argue with these people. Sucks for their kids though :smith:

Human minds do not operate in a logical way.

http://www.livescience.com/43794-vaccination-rates-messages.html

quote:

Surveying 1,759 parents, researchers found that while they were able to teach parents that the vaccine and autism were not linked, parents who were surveyed who had initial reservations about vaccines said they were actually less likely to vaccinate their children after hearing the researchers messages.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Just finished reading about the Beaumont children and Derek Percy in one of the Underbelly Australian crime collections. Although the writing tends to the purple and sensational, the summary is this: Percy was caught and jailed for a child murder and subsequently linked to a whole host of murders and disappearances. The evidence is largely circumstantial but strong, with Percy passing through or staying in the area of each incident, sometimes with a very specific match of dates, and him knowing specific details of landmarks near each killing. When asked if he was involved in any of these killings, Percy usually replies that he "doesn't know" or "might have". It's unclear as to whether he genuinely doesn't remember or is afraid that a confession might jeopardise his release.

Also see: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-24/derek-percy-linked-to-deaths-of-9-children/4840556

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Wedemeyer posted:

I think some of the worst things that could happen are just things that are random and uncontrollable. At least in present times we do have some kind of warning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown_Flood

The Johnstown Flood was a man-made disaster. I mean, the heavy rainfall would have caused a lot of flooding anyway, but the dam bursting was caused by the lovely earthen dam built by the industrial tycoons and the fact that they clogged up the spillway to prevent fish from escaping.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
For the past week I've been absolutely devouring this podcast that I think a lot of readers of this thread will like - and so I'll also recommend a first episode to start with, because it pertains to a "mystery" that's... not really a mystery, so much as a tragic circumstance, but there is still some mystery involved.

The podcast is "Thinking Sideways" - http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/

The particular episode I recommend starting with is their one concerning the case of Lisanne Froon and Kris Kremers, that happened just around a year ago - two Dutch nationals were on holiday in Panama, made a string of bizarre and very bad decisions and ultimately died because of them. The scary and unnerving part of this story comes in to play when their belongings are found and they're able to pull records off of their cellphones and their camera - all of which was found neatly packed away into their backpack, obviously implying that after the series of strange photos found on the camera were taken, at least one of them was still alive and coherent enough to pack it all back up.

http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/lisanne-froon-and-kris-kremers/#comments

Enjoy. :)

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Feb 16, 2015

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

outlier posted:

Just finished reading about the Beaumont children and Derek Percy in one of the Underbelly Australian crime collections.

What a horrendous person. I'd always heard that in the case of the Beaumont kids, though, it was generally acknowledged that Bevan Spencer von Einem was most likely the perpetrator. From Wiki (and spoiler texted because it is graphic language describing child murder):

quote:

One of the witnesses, identified only as "Mr. B", who was regarded as highly credible by police, related an alleged conversation in which von Einem boasted of having taken three children from a beach several years earlier, and said he had taken them home to conduct experiments. He said he had performed surgery on each of them, and had "connected them together". One of the children had died during the procedure and so he had killed the other two and dumped all the bodies in bushland south of Adelaide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumont_children_disappearance#Bevan_Spencer_von_Einem

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ozza posted:

What a horrendous person. I'd always heard that in the case of the Beaumont kids, though, it was generally acknowledged that Bevan Spencer von Einem was most likely the perpetrator. From Wiki (and spoiler texted because it is graphic language describing child murder):

The related stories about a conspiracy of child rapists made up of judges and establishment types is kind of unsettling too, as before the Jimmy Saville thing in the UK and that US billionaire who got off with a fine for having sex slaves I'd just laugh it off--but now I'm not so sure.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

ozza posted:

What a horrendous person. I'd always heard that in the case of the Beaumont kids, though, it was generally acknowledged that Bevan Spencer von Einem was most likely the perpetrator.

I don't believe it's that universal - von Einem is just one of many suggestions, there's not a lot of good evidence for any suspect and after 50 years there's unlikely to be any. Is Percy a "better" suspect? The Underbelly authors think so, but as said the evidence is circumstantial. I reckon Percy is as good a lead as von Einem which is to say they're both just decent guesses. Percy can be linked more strongly to other crimes.

On Percy being "a horrendous person", the Underbelly article talks about him being smart and well-liked until a certain age then becoming progressively stranger and more deviant. There's also an story about an aunt discipling him by tying him up and leaving him in a locked dark room. He comes across as a badly broken individual that the system wilfully ignored for years.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

outlier posted:

On Percy being "a horrendous person", the Underbelly article talks about him being smart and well-liked until a certain age then becoming progressively stranger and more deviant. There's also an story about an aunt discipling him by tying him up and leaving him in a locked dark room. He comes across as a badly broken individual that the system wilfully ignored for years.

Yes you're right a child murderer is not a horrendous person after all

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
e: ignore, I'm dumb

Chicken McNobody has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Feb 17, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

ozza posted:

Yes you're right a child murderer is not a horrendous person after all

I for one would love to hear more of Something Awful Forums Poster ozza's educated views on mental health

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Polaron posted:

Wasn't there a clothing fabric back in the 60s or 70s that would melt when exposed to heat?

Hard to find a good reference except my own memory, but there was an early version of rayon that was so flammable people called it "mother-in-law silk". Perfect thing to buy for the mother-in-law you hate.

Content: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marybeth_Tinning

I remember seeing one of those true crime shows about Tinning some years ago, probably on Discovery or one of those channels. Amazing that she got away with it for so long, even back then.

Filox has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Feb 16, 2015

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

atomicthumbs posted:

You get infected with measles as a kid for whatever reason

What do you mean whatever reason, didn't like, everyone have measles?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

how me a frog posted:

No, because I was vaccinated.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

how me a frog posted:

This was the case until the 60s when the measles vaccine became a thing.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It's amazing how many people seem to think that Chicken Pox and Measles are basically the same thing.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Chicken McNobody posted:

(Did I read about this in this thread? If so, sorry for the repeat.)

No one can blame you for forgetting, it was an entire page ago.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Thought this was pretty interesting:

http://listverse.com/2015/02/18/10-sudden-developments-in-mysteries-weve-been-following/

Some of the cases on the list have been discussed here, I think? Obviously most ended in tragedy, but it's nice that their families were able to get some closure :unsmith:

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Thought this was pretty interesting:

http://listverse.com/2015/02/18/10-sudden-developments-in-mysteries-weve-been-following/

Some of the cases on the list have been discussed here, I think? Obviously most ended in tragedy, but it's nice that their families were able to get some closure :unsmith:

This was pretty cool since it went down the list of some very well-known missing person cases. I always felt extra bad for the Greatful Dead guy since they had a body but no one made any effort to claim him. Some of the older cases being solved makes me feel more hopeful about them learning the identity of the boy in the box (:nms: for autopsy photos). That's another case that's always stuck with me. I hope they figure out where he came from one day.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

This is a long read (there's also the second part of the article) but I'm genuinely scared. My grandchildren might be immortal or they might be the last humans to live. It's not science fiction, it's future just a few decades from now.

Here's also a TED talk on a related subject
https://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_howard_the_wonderful_and_terrifying_implications_of_computers_that_can_learn

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This sounds like a whole bunch of Lesswrong bullshit.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope I'm still alive when they find immortality dammit.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I know that Dyatlov pass is a huge favorite in threads like this, and last night I was listening to a podcast and it got me to thinking about something that's always sort of bugged me about the entire story - the fire that was found under the cedar tree where branches were broken off. Maybe someone else will have found some explanation that I've not been able to find. Let me preface this entire thing by saying that I personally think it was some sort of avalanche or ice shift and they got spooked, but this particular part of the situation is really the big "unsolved mystery" to me personally.

According to the Wikipedia article, the fire was under a cedar tree and many branches were broken off of said tree, the location of which was not greatly near the campsite but there is no actual distance listed for how far the camp and the tree/fire is from each other. That being said, there were a few bodies found between the camp and the tree, and there is measurements for each of them listed in distance from the tree/fire. The longest body-to-tree measurement listed is 630 meters, which leads one to conclude that since that person is listed as being "between" the two points, then the camp is at least 630 meters away from the tree.

630 meters is 2067 feet - which is only a bit short of half a mile. If the fire that was found was the fire that the hikers built as their evening campfire, wouldn't they have also made their tents in that same wooded, and therefore also protected area? Also the fact that if they walked that far for the campfire negates the argument that Dyaltov didn't want to backtrack and that's why they pitched their tents on the slope where they did.

So, then, as it is assumed - when they scattered in the night, they must have built the fire, right? That's what's the accepted belief as far as I understand. But... they were all naked except for a few scraps of clothing, listed as underwear and a few torn scraps found on the other people down in the ravine.

That leads me to ask the question, then: how did a group of mostly naked people start a fire in wet snow in the middle of night while naked and panicked? Is there any explanation at all for this? I've never seen anything mentioned that says they found even something as basic as flint and steel on one of the bodies, much less a lighter or something else - and it seems like that would be a significant thing to mention if it was on the people in the ravine, since they were reported as having taken the clothing from the others when they had died.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
While I don't give any credit to the far-out Dyatlov explanations (aliens! radiation! military tests!), I've always found the debunking explanations quite weak. The incident is weird. Maybe the details have been garbled or exaggerated, but there's a lot (like the fire you point out) that doesn't make much sense.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

According to Dead Mountain (which is a great book on the incident I would definitely recommend) Georgy and Dereshenko were in the habit of sewing matches into their clothes in order to keep them dry. It's probably lucky they got a fire going at all, but then cedar can be lit even when quite damp.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

tower time posted:

According to Dead Mountain (which is a great book on the incident I would definitely recommend) Georgy and Dereshenko were in the habit of sewing matches into their clothes in order to keep them dry. It's probably lucky they got a fire going at all, but then cedar can be lit even when quite damp.

Perhaps, but one of the points that's made is that they were all mostly, if not completely in some cases, naked or in underwear. Though... I suppose the best garment to sew something in to keep them dry might be underwear, but that seems like they could still get damp from sweat and so on.

Thanks for the book recommend, I'll definitely give it a read.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That drat Satyr posted:

Perhaps, but one of the points that's made is that they were all mostly, if not completely in some cases, naked or in underwear. Though... I suppose the best garment to sew something in to keep them dry might be underwear, but that seems like they could still get damp from sweat and so on.

Thanks for the book recommend, I'll definitely give it a read.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/541627

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Yes, I am aware people with hypothermia tend to undress. But the "story" as it goes is that the only clothing found was a few scraps on one or two, and that the rest of their garmets were in the torn up tents. My prior statement was about where matches may have been stashed - possibly in underwear, which was the only consistent article of clothing that each hiker had on.

I mean... I dunno. Like I said, I think that either an avalanche happened, or maybe the snow/ice just shifted and they spooked and ran thinking there may be an avalanche coming, then they couldn't find their way back in the cold and dark. The only "mystery" to me is that fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

That drat Satyr posted:

Yes, I am aware people with hypothermia tend to undress. But the "story" as it goes is that the only clothing found was a few scraps on one or two, and that the rest of their garmets were in the torn up tents. My prior statement was about where matches may have been stashed - possibly in underwear, which was the only consistent article of clothing that each hiker had on.

I mean... I dunno. Like I said, I think that either an avalanche happened, or maybe the snow/ice just shifted and they spooked and ran thinking there may be an avalanche coming, then they couldn't find their way back in the cold and dark. The only "mystery" to me is that fire.

You'd be surprised at the kinds of crazy stuff that goes through peoples' minds when they're afraid, confused, and suffering effects of hypothermia. I'm with you though, I think a small avalanche may have happened, tore up their campsite and they freaked out and did what their minds thought was the most rational thing - find a tree, break some branches, and try to start a fire to keep warm or get noticed. Considering the conditions, it's not that far-fetched that they wouldn't have been able to see or been disoriented, especially after an accident happened.