Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

There's a CHANCE customs will be allowed at EVO but I wouldn't be surprised to not see it happen. You need to submit the rules for the tournament several months in advance which is very soon and there really hasn't been many tournaments that allow customs to convince enough people that customs are the way to go. Add on top of that logistics to get customs set up (yes, I'm aware of the 3ds importing and plans everyone have to make things smoother but it still sounds like a big pain to me) and the overall unwillingness from the smash community to really want to change or explore anything new.

Personally I'd say it's unlikely customs will be at EVO as much as I'd love to see it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

There's a CHANCE customs will be allowed at EVO but I wouldn't be surprised to not see it happen. You need to submit the rules for the tournament several months in advance which is very soon and there really hasn't been many tournaments that allow customs to convince enough people that customs are the way to go. Add on top of that logistics to get customs set up (yes, I'm aware of the 3ds importing and plans everyone have to make things smoother but it still sounds like a big pain to me) and the overall unwillingness from the smash community to really want to change or explore anything new.

Personally I'd say it's unlikely customs will be at EVO as much as I'd love to see it happen.

Customs not being allowed to be used would be incredibly stupid and would do a good job of setting this game down Brawl's competitive path. They're probably the single best thing to come out of Smash 4 with how much better they make certain characters and the potential for new strategies to come out of them.

Smash 4 deserves the fairest shake possible at EVO for it's first year, and I think custom moves are a big part of that. If there has to be a choice between people complaining about customs necessitating some adaptation and people complaining about the game not being deep enough, I hope they make a good decision about which group they tell to gently caress off.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 16, 2015

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
Is there matchmaking in "for glory"? I am doing 1v1 matches and I'm something like 5-40. I stand almost no chance against the vast majority of people I play. It's losing its charm real fast. But hey at least I feel like I'm getting better?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Smash seems to have plenty of time to submit rules considering like 3 games in Evo come soon before Evo, like Mortal Kombat X and goddamn Tekken which they have to buy arcade cabinets for the event.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Scags posted:

Is there matchmaking in "for glory"? I am doing 1v1 matches and I'm something like 5-40. I stand almost no chance against the vast majority of people I play. It's losing its charm real fast. But hey at least I feel like I'm getting better?
Absolutely no matchmaking.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you play late at night you're basically always going to run into people who are really good.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

It matchmakes you based on global smash power iirc

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

It matchmakes you based on global smash power iirc

The degree to which this is true, and/or not mitigated by its efforts to secure a stable, fast connection, is highly questionable.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Not allowing custom moves will indeed set this game down Brawl's competitive path, but not for those reasons. The actual reason is that custom moves would make the game incredibly interesting to watch. Because four years from now, Smash 4 will be broken down into two Rosalina's out-stalling each other.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Holy loving god drat poo poo piss Hard-Mode All Star is the worst thing in the world. They stupidly forgot to make entities that aren't the actual characters have lower knockback, so even though a DeDeDe forward smash doesn't kill you when you're at 120%, a gordo will. Or, for some reason, Olimar's pikmin don't seem to have reduced knockback scaling, and neither does Villager's bowling ball. Also it just sucks. I hate this.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Holy loving god drat poo poo piss Hard-Mode All Star is the worst thing in the world. They stupidly forgot to make entities that aren't the actual characters have lower knockback, so even though a DeDeDe forward smash doesn't kill you when you're at 120%, a gordo will. Or, for some reason, Olimar's pikmin don't seem to have reduced knockback scaling, and neither does Villager's bowling ball. Also it just sucks. I hate this.

In addition, it seems that they originally wanted stage hazards to be disabled like in the 3DS version, but changed their minds at literally the last minute, so you wind up with a strange scenario where wacky, instant KO stages like Gamer, F-Zero, and that Pikmin stage are okay, but lava in Norfair or Ridley in Pyrosphere is just getting silly.

Yes, it does suck. Especially if you have no hammers to do away with doing them on hard with all characters. Like me.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't want to waste my hammer on beating all-star on hard with everyone, but I may have to. So far I've only used hammers on the marth on classic 9.0, and breaking 50000 blocks in target blast mode

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I don't want to waste my hammer on beating all-star on hard with everyone, but I may have to. So far I've only used hammers on the marth on classic 9.0, and breaking 50000 blocks in target blast mode

The 50,000 blocks one is actually piss easy to get if you want customs so I'm not sure why people keep using a hammer on it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The 50,000 blocks one is actually piss easy to get if you want customs so I'm not sure why people keep using a hammer on it

it seems tedious especially after i already did the other achievements for trophy rush. honestly grinding all-star has been fairly fruitful for customs considering how often i fail but still get a new custom move or two through my attempts.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bluff Buster posted:

In addition, it seems that they originally wanted stage hazards to be disabled like in the 3DS version, but changed their minds at literally the last minute, so you wind up with a strange scenario where wacky, instant KO stages like Gamer, F-Zero, and that Pikmin stage are okay, but lava in Norfair or Ridley in Pyrosphere is just getting silly.

Yes, it does suck. Especially if you have no hammers to do away with doing them on hard with all characters. Like me.

No? Its pretty obvious that the background code can only run X many players or X-N players and then N placeholders that control hazards / spawning in the all star opponents / boss characters / etc. Hence why only one or two hazards are taken out of each stage in Allstar, the enemies wait to spawn until whatever active hazard onscreen goes away, and 8 player smash has 0 dynamic hazards.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

zolthorg posted:

No? Its pretty obvious that the background code can only run X many players or X-N players and then N placeholders that control hazards / spawning in the all star opponents / boss characters / etc. Hence why only one or two hazards are taken out of each stage in Allstar, the enemies wait to spawn until whatever active hazard onscreen goes away, and 8 player smash has 0 dynamic hazards.

I don't think that's "obvious" to many people, and I'm certainly not following. What exactly is stopping, say, Ridley from spawning but not the Yellow Devil., who does spawn?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bluff Buster posted:

I don't think that's "obvious" to many people, and I'm certainly not following. What exactly is stopping, say, Ridley from spawning but not the Yellow Devil., who does spawn?

Ridley is an AI entity and the Yellow Devil is just a static person-shaped piece of level geometry.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I see. I'm really just whining about how in addition to 3 high-level CPUs ganging up on you that the stages seemed to be joining in too. I guess it's just technical limitations that are giving the slightest bit of mercy then.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
It's surprises me that despite Nintendo clamping down on online interaction, people still manage to find new and interesting ways to be lovely (using tags to taunt, waiting out at the score and character select screens). I feel that no online fighting game should ever let you have more than 20 seconds absolute max to choose your character.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

mabels big day posted:

As someone who did All-Star on hard with everyone, I advise getting a friend. One of you runs Dedede/Ganondorf/some sort of heavy hitter, the other runs whatever character you need to complete All-Star with, and you murder everyone. It's tricky, but doable.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Wait, isn't the achievement only for doing it solo? Or does it not matter? I was just too scared to start that challenge.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Customs not being allowed to be used would be incredibly stupid and would do a good job of setting this game down Brawl's competitive path.
The fact that it's not Melee is already doing a good job of that.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I finally beat the True Final Event on hard with a custom High Defense Little Mac. Landing 2/3 KO punches helped, and his Stun neutral B custom was surprisingly useful when it was down to just Pac Man.

Now to beat the game on 9.0 classic. Doing that was way less stupid on the 3DS version though.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 16, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chaltab posted:

The fact that it's not Melee is already doing a good job of that.

You're right, but from a gameplay standpoint it at least takes it from "Melee but without all these things and a couple of good things" to "Melee but without all these cool things and holy poo poo did Palutena just take that guy out from offscreen and make it back

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
It seems like customs would make most characters that would not be considered "competitively viable" able to do well enough in Smash 4 compared to Melee's less than half of the roster being consistently picked out of the 26 character roster.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Custom moves literally turn one of Pikachu's weak recovery moves into a potent and versatile kill move which is 100% good and I am sure many other characters have a similar weak or non-useful move that they can now suddenly do something with.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How Rude posted:

It seems like customs would make most characters that would not be considered "competitively viable" able to do well enough in Smash 4 compared to Melee's less than half of the roster being consistently picked out of the 26 character roster.

It will likely get trimmed down to below half whether or not customs are legal.

The bell curve is a thing that applies to most fighting games, and I don't see Smash 4 being an exception to that :v:

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Dude, Pac-Man players are super annoying. Not especially tough, just really goddamm annoying and prone to running down the clock. Fire hydrant is tedious.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Accursed Walrus posted:

As someone who did All-Star on hard with everyone, I advise getting a friend. One of you runs Dedede/Ganondorf/some sort of heavy hitter, the other runs whatever character you need to complete All-Star with, and you murder everyone. It's tricky, but doable.

so far DK and Little Mac were the easiest for me to get, so I might take this advice

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Duck Hunt is really easy to do in All-Star Mode because the computer doesn't really register their long fsmash range as a threat.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I haven't played for a feed weeks and went on and wrecked everybody as Link am I a good player now

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pretty amusing, some japanese reactions to rayman

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Reiley posted:

Duck Hunt is really easy to do in All-Star Mode because the computer doesn't really register their long fsmash range as a threat.

One thing I've noticed is that the AI can consistently DI out of the final hit of duck hunts smashes. Playing against a level 9 it will never hit unless the final hit is the only one that connects.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

they're all correct.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I recognize your great work, but this is the worst thing you have done. Because of you, everyone is disappointed. Please do the right thing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I recognize your great work, but this is the worst thing you have done. Because of you, everyone is disappointed. Please do the right thing.

e: not refreshing is the worse thing i have done

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I assume "Please do the right thing" means honorable seppuku.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm relieved, actually

The only good potential that had was DLC characters other than Mewtwo, gently caress Rayman tho

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Wolf will be DLC, I promise you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agatha was great in Hyrule Warriors, put her in.

• Locked thread