Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Inferno is cool as poo poo but I remember Purgatory and Paradise being boring in comparison.

Livingtrope Note: I read them in middle school so take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

OldMemes posted:

No, even 2000 years ago, when people died they normally stayed dead.

I understand that, but I'm referring to bits where Jesus cured the sick and brought people back from the dead. At all the funerals I've been to, we were supposed to take comfort in that as proof of life eternal, as if it is even remotely close to what we experience. But we don't get that, do we? We end up like the rest of the people who died back then, who die and have no idea as to what happens next, beyond what we're told to believe.

quote:

The point of Jesus is that its literally God, creator of the Universe, dying for people's sins. When humans started doing things wrong, God could have just done "oh well", removed the Earth from existence and just started evolving another intelligent race to work with. Instead, God - remember, all powerful creator of the Universe, name above all names, the boss - takes off his authority, comes to Earth as a human, is brutally tortured to death while being abandoned and mocked by his people and his friends, then came back to life, just so he could save humanity from sin. During the passion, the aspect of God that was in Jesus was completely cut off from the aspect of God that was in Heaven (yeah, that's the complex part), so even though he knew that he would be ressurected like the Scriptures predicted, he still had to deal with all the emotions and fears and pain of being tortured.

It's not that Jesus was just some wise teacher or something - he was God in human form, and chose to go through all that for the sake of mankind. That's the profound part.

And I've mentioned that people go through abject terror like that all the time, for much less, and with no assurance that it will be okay in the end. That's my big issue with it. When Jesus was dying on the cross, he expressed doubt in God's plan and all that, I understand that now; but surely he still knew, at least to a minimal extent, that after he finally did die all would still go according to plan, right? Nobody else gets that, just doubt and terror and misery.

And is the whole thing special specifically because Jesus is God?

quote:

If you haven't, read the Gospels for yourself, they'll explain it better than I can.

Not in a long time, when I was young, riddled with depression and anxiety, and desperately trying to find some kind of solace. I've wanted to revisit the bible, just to make sense of it all, and maybe I will when I'm finally done with university this spring.

I am an agnostic who wants to believe that it doesn't matter whether god exists or not, but I'm constantly arguing these things with myself. It's a constant source of cognitive dissonance. A lot of it stems from the decades of depression I endured and questions of my own [lack of] worthiness and [undeserved-ness of] salvation, but it's all so irrational that I'll go no further than that. I swear it's not an attempt to be edgy and confrontational, that's not in my nature.

Edit:

Sardine Wit posted:

That's still cold comfort when they're torturing him to death though and he's not getting any visions or signs and he's alone with his doubts.

That said I've always thought the miracle of Lazarus kind of diminishes this - if you believe that Jesus has already caused a dead man to rise back to life, that kind of takes the sting out of it a bit.

I missed this as I was trying to write my reply while making play-doh lobsters and owls with my daughter. The first part clears things up to a certain degree, I guess, but as I said earlier, it's no different from what mortals experience so I don't get how it's so special beyond "god has to deal with what we do." And the second part you mention is exactly what bothers me.

root beer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 16, 2015

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

Inferno is cool as poo poo but I remember Purgatory and Paradise being boring in comparison.

Livingtrope Note: I read them in middle school so take that as you will.

Purgatorio and Paradiso are much less interesting than Inferno. Might be because human suffering is more engaging, might be because you've already read "and here's place X where the peeps that did X live, and here's place Y where the peeps that did Y live" already. Might also be because that's when Beatrice shows up in the stories, and everything Dante writes about Beatrice is kind of pathetic. Even more pathetic than people being put into hell because Dante just personally doesn't like them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TGLT posted:

Purgatorio and Paradiso are much less interesting than Inferno. Might be because human suffering is more engaging, might be because you've already read "and here's place X where the peeps that did X live, and here's place Y where the peeps that did Y live" already. Might also be because that's when Beatrice shows up in the stories, and everything Dante writes about Beatrice is kind of pathetic. Even more pathetic than people being put into hell because Dante just personally doesn't like them.

The horrible pettiness running around in Inferno is one of my favorite parts. "And here's this guy who I hate suffering in Hell for eternity, what a jerk I hate him!!!" is considered a literary classic and it's great :allears:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

JaggerMcDagger posted:

You haven't bought enough Haggadahs yet!

So the rabbits were there before the wolves?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yaakov is absolutely giddy about shootings!

That's what makes him so obscene. He doesn't care about the victims, he only cares about the crime furthering the agenda he supports.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ague Proof posted:

Holy poo poo

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's Monday

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ague Proof posted:

He meant to say "rabbis".

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JaggerMcDagger posted:

You haven't bought enough Haggadahs yet!

Zoos put predators and prey in the same enclosures all the time, it's really easy to pull off because really if the wolf gets free steaks from the zookeepers then it's not going to waste calories chasing after rabbits like it usually would.

The exception is usually the result of one animal or the other being fiercely territorial, and I'd say something smart about that but making that kind of joke is the lowest hanging fruit there is.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Internet Webguy posted:

When he himself is dependent on fossil fuels.

I've never seen a plastic protest sign before, either.

Petroleum used in products is not a loving fuel.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

the_steve posted:

It's Monday

It's me, I'm Sicko.

God I wish I had a TV.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

Ah yes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF-5mjt-SWM

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
You have a thorough understanding of Chris Muir's thought process and linguistic style, Rorus.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yes...ha ha ha, yes! :getin:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

His pants probably aren't even on the ground right now.
I bet he's wearing a belt.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

the_steve posted:

His pants probably aren't even on the ground right now.
I bet he's wearing a belt.

He's actually Urkel.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the_steve posted:

It's Monday

This is excellent.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

"Mussulmen are ferocious wolves who will never, ever learn to live with peace-loving people. We need some... solution, to the Moslem Problem in Europe. By the way never forget the Holocaust!" ~~Yaakov <3

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

OldMemes posted:

Again, that's Dante's political cartoon/epic poem self-insert fanfiction where he creeps on a girl he knows, not actual scripture.

Are there any parts of the poem where the angel is chopping vegetables?

Or was Renaissance era SA making edits where the angel is replaced by a blow up doll?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

It's great that people prove her so right every time they post her little speech.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I am an agnostic who wants to believe that it doesn't matter whether god exists or not, but I'm constantly arguing these things with myself. It's a constant source of cognitive dissonance. A lot of it stems from the decades of depression I endured and questions of my own [lack of] worthiness and [undeserved-ness of] salvation, but it's all so irrational that I'll go no further than that. I swear it's not an attempt to be edgy and confrontational, that's not in my nature.

Edit:

I missed this as I was trying to write my reply while making play-doh lobsters and owls with my daughter. The first part clears things up to a certain degree, I guess, but as I said earlier, it's no different from what mortals experience so I don't get how it's so special beyond "god has to deal with what we do." And the second part you mention is exactly what bothers me.

The last part first: the thing to remember about everyone else who was healed or even resurrected, is that 1) it was Jesus who did it, to demonstrate he had that power, and 2) they eventually all still died anyway. But Jesus is depicted as floating up to heaven a couple days after coming back to life, so I guess he didn't die again.

The first part is what I really wanted to get at though: something I did like when I was raised in this environment myself was the idea that it has nothing at all to do with worthiness. Like, maybe you can picture yourself jumping in front of a bus to save an innocent kid, even if it means you'll get creamed, but this is more like jumping in front of a bus to save a complete rear end in a top hat's life, in the hopes he'll recognize someone took the hit for him and turn his life around. He didn't do anything at all to warrant the intervention, it's just up to him to acknowledge it or not.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

alnilam posted:

The whole Divine Comedy is pretty interesting, but it gets weirder and weirder as he goes up and up. The whole Paradiso part is weird as poo poo, I could barely follow it. But that's me talking as a casual reader, I'm sure there are Dante Scholars who know a lot more about it than I do.

Fun fact, iirc: Dante basically invented the written Italian language.
My favorite part is iirc that Dante got these ideas for the Inferno because he went to a volcanic vent near Pompeii and got high off the fumes

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

alnilam posted:

"Mussulmen are ferocious wolves who will never, ever learn to live with peace-loving people. We need some... solution, to the Moslem Problem in Europe. By the way never forget the Holocaust!" ~~Yaakov <3

No, what he wants is different. He wants more attacks against European Jews, until they learn their lesson and move to Israel. That's what he wants, and that's why he's so happy that there were murders by Islamists. Just look at his big goofy smile.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

the_steve posted:

It's Monday

Hey, SVU doesn't need drugs to keep going. They'll be just fine until sex crimes are legalized.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

the_steve posted:

It's Monday

I'm enjoying the little detail of the holster straps going over their ties.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Holy crap that Kelly is good, even slamming a fifth of liquor as part of family time. Beaten to the punch on commenting about how prostitutes will still be named, shamed, and have their lives ruined even further.

Conversely, here's ... this. It exists:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

Hey, SVU doesn't need drugs to keep going. They'll be just fine until sex crimes are legalized.

What, you mean that show about SICKO FREAKS? The one that has all the cast of the TV CLASSICS and BUDDY COP MOVIES in tears? Hell, even the GOOD OLD FASHIONED DRUG DEALERS think those shows are for CREEPY PERVERTS rather than the DISCERNING TELEVISION VIEWERSHIP. SVU makes LADY LIBERTY cry.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

the_steve posted:

It's Monday

Political Cartoons 2015: Yes... ha ha ha... YES!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Not in a long time, when I was young, riddled with depression and anxiety, and desperately trying to find some kind of solace. I've wanted to revisit the bible, just to make sense of it all, and maybe I will when I'm finally done with university this spring.

Hey I don't have any answers for you or anything, but I hope you have figured/will figure things out and all :) I'm not a god (obviously) but I don't know if I believe anyone is truly beyond worthiness or undeserving of salvation, except maybe like the SS. I don't think many good people got there by being beyond doubt and reflection over their beliefs or by being free of internal discord. Just be the best person you can be, play with your kid(s) and let them know you love them, and have compassion and mercy for others. That's the best any of us can really hope to manage, and for my own part, I think any decent deity will see that when you pass on and there's something after this. Anyway I'm just saying this because I've been there with the depression poo poo myself so I feel a spark of kinship, everyone else can ignore my babble in the Political Cartoons thread on Internet Comedy Forums Something Awful Dot Com.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Somfin posted:

What, you mean that show about SICKO FREAKS? The one that has all the cast of the TV CLASSICS and BUDDY COP MOVIES in tears? Hell, even the GOOD OLD FASHIONED DRUG DEALERS think those shows are for CREEPY PERVERTS rather than the DISCERNING TELEVISION VIEWERSHIP. SVU makes LADY LIBERTY cry.

Corner Kelly: Special Victims un-FIT!

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Unrelated: Have there been any cartoons about Chapel Hill other than the quick sketch that Latuff did?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

majormonotone posted:

Unrelated: Have there been any cartoons about Chapel Hill other than the quick sketch that Latuff did?
That situation seems too uncomfortably ambiguous to draw cartoons about easily.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

2 Great minds, I guess

3 uhhhhhh :confused:

5 Sick burn on religion from Teddy Rall, Age 12 ¼.

8 d'awww :3:

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

Political Whores posted:

It's great that people prove her so right every time they post her little speech.
Her?

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

ISIS the great threat to Western Civilization....Killing Muslins.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Good, because those sheep didn't die, they very clearly were turned inside out and exploded.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

"George, darling," Abe cried, "don't look at me that way. I had my beard cut off and sold because I couldn't have lived through Christmas without giving you a present. It'll grow out again--you won't mind, will you? I just had to do it. My beard grows awfully fast. Say `Merry Christmas!' George, and let's be happy. You don't know what a nice-- what a beautiful, nice gift I've got for you."

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
So is :supaburn:Selfie Stick:supaburn: the new republican talking point? I thought they had already exhausted the selfie jokes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Tardigrade posted:

So is :supaburn:Selfie Stick:supaburn: the new republican talking point? I thought they had already exhausted the selfie jokes.

Conservative Cartoonists discover One Weird Trick to crank out easy cartoons their base will love!

Goons Hate It!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

"Hawaiian Vacation" was starting to lose traction after 6 years

• Locked thread