Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I found frills to be fairly easy to get when hunting online, four people smashing Jaggi over and over will almost certainly break the frill before he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ciaphas posted:

To break a body part, for example G Jaggi's head, does it have to be impact damage? If so, can C Blade not do the job?

Need more frills :argh:

It's actually the opposite, most of the time breaks if they need a specific type of damage need cutting damage (for instance, tails always need cutting), only in certain cases do you ever need impact damage for a break

also btw does charge blade's axe mode do cutting or impact, also am i remembering correctly that onlythe last hit needs to be be cutting damage for a tail cut

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Most breaks can be done with any kind of weapon. Tails generally require cutting, and some rock-looking pieces (Barroth's chin in 3U, not sure what in 4U) require impact.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I am not liking how rare firestones are in low rank. It's funny how out of the the two new weapons the CB is the most technical one by far.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The riding thing also applies for other monsters' breaks, like Nerscylla's back. You should try and get at least one ride off on every monster you fight

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Thoom posted:

Most breaks can be done with any kind of weapon. Tails generally require cutting, and some rock-looking pieces (Barroth's chin in 3U, not sure what in 4U) require impact.

This isn't necessarily true re: impact. You can totes break barroth's head, uragaan's chin, diablos' horns, etc with a cutting weapon, it's just way harder (I think).

I say this as a great sword main that has broken every one of these things :black101:.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The gunlance breaks all of the things. If you can't cut it, EXPLODE IT.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

sitchelin posted:

The lance counts as both impact and cutting damage :eng101:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

sitchelin posted:

Swish swish
Clang clang

BANG BANG
FEUER FREI

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

also am i remembering correctly that onlythe last hit needs to be be cutting damage for a tail cut

This isn't true, much to the chagrin of gunners everywhere. Only cutting damage counts towards the tail cut.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just tried the tutorial for the great sword and oh god I hate it so much. The long sword on the other hand feels pretty fun. Am I a weeaboo.

Both are fantastic weapons.

As long as you're not using a bowgun you're cool. bowguns are lame :colbert:

Haquer posted:

BANG BANG
FEUER FREI

Rammstein would make for a good MH soundtrack...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Friend posted:

This isn't true, much to the chagrin of gunners everywhere. Only cutting damage counts towards the tail cut.

I want to see the person dedicated enough to get every tail cut with a hunting horn.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bowguns owns sorry bub

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Hammer Bros for life.

I've breezed through all of the single-player content up to Gore. I can destroy a Rathian in my sleep, but that dude made me crazy.

I wish the expedition stuff was a bit less convoluted. It seems like they were going for a psuedo-roguelike mode. I got a super powerful hammer... that doesn't get green sharpness... So that sucked.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Is it possible to get breaks with cutting weapons in the general case?

There are only a few instances of parts that need impact to be broken. I actually can't think of any off the top of my head. Cutting will break almost everything, including jaggi's frill. You don't need to ride him to do it, but it doesn't hurt.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
So I'm plowing through LR pretty much without hassle, but I'd like to try something new, and I've never gunned before. Bows look neat - I've watched the video in the OP and know to watch for critical distance, use power coatings, charge my shots most of the time, etc. But I'm not sure what bow to shoot for and the starting one seems pretty poo poo. Are there any must-have early game bows and armor sets?

Edit: and per the above conversation, do bows do slicing damage so I can get tail cuts?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
This game loving owns.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chumpy posted:

So I'm plowing through LR pretty much without hassle, but I'd like to try something new, and I've never gunned before. Bows look neat - I've watched the video in the OP and know to watch for critical distance, use power coatings, charge my shots most of the time, etc. But I'm not sure what bow to shoot for and the starting one seems pretty poo poo. Are there any must-have early game bows and armor sets?

Edit: and per the above conversation, do bows do slicing damage so I can get tail cuts?

Gore weapons are always a good bet for being decent.

Bows can use X+A as a cutting attack but it's kinda rear end.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if the wycoon decides to stop sucking eventually in high rank or something i think this will basically be the perfect monster hunter

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
I've dipped my toe in MH before, but never really delved too deeply until this game. How effective can I expect elemental damage on weapons to be, assuming I'm not using a fire weapon on the lava monster? Is there a general % I should expect it should be dealing, or do the monsters' resistances vary wildly from one to the next?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Chumpy posted:

Only with the melee attack. I believe there is also a coating you can use for cutting if the bow supports it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chumpy posted:

Why do so many people keep asking "Whats the best early game <weapon type> and <armor set>"

Craft whatever weapon has the highest damage value (factoring in affinity and element, I guess) and that's it! :v: Its not rocket science.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Light_Bowgun_Weapon_Tree

Weapons further down the tree always have more damage though so again its not really all that complicated, craft everything you can and use whatever has the most damage.

As for armor sets, again, craft whatever looks cool, gives you the most defense, and has good stats.

Neraren posted:

I've dipped my toe in MH before, but never really delved too deeply until this game. How effective can I expect elemental damage on weapons to be, assuming I'm not using a fire weapon on the lava monster? Is there a general % I should expect it should be dealing, or do the monsters' resistances vary wildly from one to the next?

They vary wildly. Monster elemental resists will vary from 0 to 5 to 10 to 20 or 25 or even 50. That value is then divided by 10, so the factors a monster can have to resistance are effectively: 0%, 50%, 100%, 150%, 200%, 250% or 500%.

For things like fire against a lava monster, you're probably going to do 0% elemental damage.
Most monsters probably vary from 50% to 150%, so its pretty safe to treat elemental damage as normal damage in the long run.
Note that each monster has different resistances in different locations. The head could take 50% water damage while the wings take 200%.

In the case where a monster has a weakness like 500%, obviously that's HUGE. So yeah, elements can be really good, but it could also be 0% so they're inconsistent. If you have an idea of what the monster is strong/weak to, its very worth it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 16, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do so many people keep asking "Whats the best early game <weapon type> and <armor set>"

Craft whatever weapon has the highest damage value (factoring in affinity and element, I guess) and that's it! :v: Its not rocket science.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4U:_Light_Bowgun_Weapon_Tree

Weapons further down the tree always have more damage though so again its not really all that complicated, craft everything you can and use whatever has the most damage.

As for armor sets, again, craft whatever looks cool, gives you the most defense, and has good stats.

This question comes up a lot because MonHun is much more balanced than other games that have strictly superior weapons. The weapon tree is relatively balanced, even though Im positive that Bug Staff is OP as gently caress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This question comes up a lot because MonHun is much more balanced than other games that have strictly superior weapons. The weapon tree is relatively balanced, even though Im positive that Bug Staff is OP as gently caress.

Yeah, I guess its just people adapting normal RPG conventions to ARPGs that play different with the rules, like how in Dark Souls everybody expects boss' soul weapons to be the best, but really a basic "Longsword +10" is probably much better in the long run. :shrug:

Yeah the weapon trees in MH are pretty well balanced.

The new weapons are always OP as gently caress though. Insect Glaive is super OP right now. And Switch Axe used to be OP but got nerfed, (still fantastic though) and Charge Blade is pretty OP too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Charge Blade I feel like is really really strong, but its so technical to use and easy to trip your entire team with. Idk for some reason that makes me feel ok with it being a big stronger.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Charge Blade I feel like is really really strong, but its so technical to use and easy to trip your entire team with. Idk for some reason that makes me feel ok with it being a big stronger.

That was kinda how I felt about Switch Axe in 3U, yeah.

Higher skill ceiling can excuse slightly higher damage payoff if you play it properly.

Insect Glaive just seems nuts though, but I'm not sure how much of that is my own not understanding completely how it works or having not tried it enough personally. Perception and bias and all that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

So glaives are, uh, pretty crazy.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

Yep that's pretty much why I asked. I just assumed there are some bows that are poo poo in ways I have yet to understand.

But also because I'm a gunner neophyte. I didn't think I'd be more comfortable smacking dragons up close and personal, but well, here we are.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Okay turns out the basic mechanics of CB were easier to get hold of than I thought. I guess the overall pattern is "charge in sword, get phials, use phials in axe to charge shield, recharge phials, murder a motherfucker in axe, repeat", right?

Now the trick is memorizing what can combo into what else. I like it, though. :)

The CB sword's shield thrust (X+A) connects its attacks really well, it's the omnilink for chaining sword, I find.

Zaphod42 posted:

I go back for resupply and get one last trap, I put it down and he gets out after like half a second. gently caress you forever.

You can tranq a monster before it goes into a trap, and if sufficiently laden with tranquilizers, it will instantly capture upon falling into the trap.
It's for the monsters that have a fast escape rate or ones that built up a trap resistance(they do this).

For all the people complaining about Gypceros, I recall(but couldn't find for the life of me) a video from 2G where some guy named Booma killed a Gypceros using nothing but boomerangs.
Waiting to see what kind of antics people will put themselves through for 4U :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Whats wrong with Gypceros? He was pretty fun and unique, and I had no trouble with him on my first time.

The only thing I didn't like, is that it seems like the flash thing paralyzes you not when you're facing Gypceros but when your camera is looking at him, which is really dumb. Uh, not all of us have circle pad pros or new 3DS, Capcom. Its pretty easy to turn around when I see the flash coming, but having to turn the camera is wonky. I can do it now that I know that's how it works (I think?) but its counter-intuitive.

Is that what people were complaining about? Because that's fair.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just panic dive it. It can be blocked too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Your camera can be focused on Gyp for the flash, just make sure your hunter is facing away.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Instead of separating ourselves by weapon preferences (what would you even call insect glaive users?? nothing rolls off the tongue like Hammer Bros) let's split into groups based on our raptor preferences.

Team Jaggi represent.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Okay turns out the basic mechanics of CB were easier to get hold of than I thought. I guess the overall pattern is "charge in sword, get phials, use phials in axe to charge shield, recharge phials, murder a motherfucker in axe, repeat", right?

Now the trick is memorizing what can combo into what else. I like it, though. :)
[/

[quote="Ciaphas" post="441631349"]
I guess the overall pattern is "charge in sword, get phials, use phials in axe to charge shield, recharge phials, murder a motherfucker in axe, repeat", right?

That's the pattern for the all-or-nothing ultra attack, yeah. However, you might want to start with a less risky tactic to guarantee higher damage over time.

I recommend: charge phials > charge shield > charge phials > normal/strong axe combo > charge phials > normal/strong axe combo > (super/ultra when shield blinks yellow) > repeat

I only charge strait into an ultra if I'm anticipating a KO, trap, or similar situation where the monster is an easy target. Similarly, I will forgo charging into the shield if I'm trying to land a KO in a short amount of time. I should also mention that charging strait into an ultra is perfectly fine if you understand the monster's behavior really well and are confident that you can land successful hits consistently enough.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

The Moon Monster posted:

There are only a few instances of parts that need impact to be broken. I actually can't think of any off the top of my head. Cutting will break almost everything, including jaggi's frill. You don't need to ride him to do it, but it doesn't hurt.

I feel like the monoblos horn on the crab was impact only, but maybe I'm misremembering because I always hammered him anyway. I'm almost positive Barroth's crown was, but I can't think of anything that can only be impacted in mh4u. A lot of it just has super high cut resistance.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Colapops posted:

Instead of separating ourselves by weapon preferences (what would you even call insect glaive users?? nothing rolls off the tongue like Hammer Bros) let's split into groups based on our raptor preferences.

Team Jaggi represent.

Bug Bros? Buggers?

Team Genprey, standing over your twitching body, laughing as the 60 seconds for you to get your carves ticks down to zero.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
What is the fastest way to change my weapon in multiplayer? Do I need to run back to my house? Sorta annoying when I want to make use of my wide array of elemental weapons.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Team Wroggi, cowraptorpokes ridin' the range.

Who sadly seem to be left out of this virtual rodeo.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Team Baggi is going to Hipcheck you and hipcheck you and hipcheck you and hipcheck you and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chumpy posted:

Yep that's pretty much why I asked. I just assumed there are some bows that are poo poo in ways I have yet to understand.

But also because I'm a gunner neophyte. I didn't think I'd be more comfortable smacking dragons up close and personal, but well, here we are.

Bows are deceptively difficult. Light bow gun or bust.

• Locked thread