Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Omi no Kami posted:

I suspect part of my frustration with playing monster is simply not knowing the mechanics well enough yet, but I just really hate the feeling of literally everything else in the game ganging up on me: I want to play a co-op game for the co-op, not for 1vMany.

On an unrelated note, is there a proper way to react if you're playing Val and the monster targets you? As long as he's attacking other people I prioritize medgun as long as people are below 100% health, then armor-piercing if the dome's up, tranqs if it's down, but every time the monster comes at me I tend to dodge until I run out of jetpack, then die and leave my team to get stomped.

Monsters are bigger than you. If there is a large boulder or small house you can give him the runaround as you can get closer to it than he does, giving free hits for your team. The tranqing is super important and prevents the monster comboing regular melee strikes, allowing you to get to your feet and jet.

Monsters have difficult looking up. Double tapping space without a direction to boost vertically upwards is a very viable escape method and gives you a second to look down and plan a route or make a tranq shot.

Pick your sniper targets carefully. The bonus damage stacks with the headshot multiplier. If you can land a headshot armor break your Cabot will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Does the cool down/reload perk work with Cabot's rail gun?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
^^^ It works with everything. :getin:

Senethro posted:

Pick your sniper targets carefully. The bonus damage stacks with the headshot multiplier. If you can land a headshot armor break your Cabot will thank you.

We were in panic mode as a Goliath was about to win a Defense game, with Me (Parnell), Cabot and Val dropping in with Griffin hiding somewhere for us to drop. "Weaken him, I'm going all out as soon as I'm close," I said to nobody in particular.

As soon as I got close, a headshot snipe appeared and the monster lit up with damage amp and a harpoon. I blew all his armor off in one clip, insta-reloaded (that perk is so good) and tore most of his health off in the next.

I think we still lost since everyone had two strikes on them so the S3 Goliath was able to sneeze on us to kill us at that point, but still it was pretty funny to see his health melt off.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

Does the cool down/reload perk work with Cabot's rail gun?

I think so, i get it anyways for the amp and tagging

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

You guys sure about that? Because I don't think I've noticed any difference when I pick up the 50% faster cool down/reload albino perk...

Will go test in Solo mode with a stop watch.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is this game worth 70 bux y/n

I liked L4D a lot is it better / worse than that game

You can get it from G2A for $40.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Dyz posted:

I think so, i get it anyways for the amp and tagging

Ok so I tested it. As it turns out the item reload perk does work with the rail gun, letting me get 20 shots off in 25 seconds instead of 30, a roughly 17% dps increase. However, it does nothing for dust tagging.

I suspect the 50% ability cool down bonus that you can get with wild life is the opposite.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Why not split into two groups with you and another player tailing Daisy then the other pair circling around wide to cut off the Monster?

No, you must stick together!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find when I want to play hunter pairing up with someone helps, because it locks me out of monster play.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Unable to catch a kraken all game. We talk for about 5 mins during the attempted chase to just sit at the relay and get ready. Monster hits 3 and we say lets get ready at the relay. Sitting at the relay for a few minutes and I notice markov didn't have any mines down. I ask him and he replies "I thought we were gonna go find him!".

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How big of a deal is leaving footprints when you're playing as the monster? I've been trying to stealth whenever I can't smell the hunters, to minimize broken trees/foliage and tracks, and they don't tend to catch sight of me that often, but it also leaves me with almost no time to hunt and eat prey.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Any decent team is gonna be on you pretty hard, stealth is so they don't hear you walking around. Alot of teams that stop hearing you moving always think you are still running. You can juke hard if you just like hide by a rock in trees out of line of site and they think you kept moving.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wouldn't daisy still turn and run directly towards me, because of the scent trail?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When close daisy will just stop and some people will be like daisy is looking off the cliff I JUMP NOW! Other trappers don't get daisy and they have to make these judgement calls all the time. Also if they just follow your tracks they will never catch you.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Omi no Kami posted:

How big of a deal is leaving footprints when you're playing as the monster? I've been trying to stealth whenever I can't smell the hunters, to minimize broken trees/foliage and tracks, and they don't tend to catch sight of me that often, but it also leaves me with almost no time to hunt and eat prey.

If they have Daisy then its of limited usefulness, against Abe and Griffin its crucial and will win you games.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I started playing tonight on PC (LLJKSiLk on Steam).

I'm enjoying the game much better than L4D. I think it is an intriguing concept. There seems to be a steep learning curve as far as the nuances go, but overall this has potential.

I had 'fun' and was able to get the game for $46 with my GCU discount at Best Buy on PC. If this isn't a must have for you, you might want to jump on it at the $35 price range.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Omi no Kami posted:

Wouldn't daisy still turn and run directly towards me, because of the scent trail?

You don't leave a scent trail when traveling through water. This can be useful.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Hipster Occultist posted:

If they have Daisy then its of limited usefulness, against Abe and Griffin its crucial and will win you games.

I assume sneaking past the soundsticks means they don't go off?

And yeah, any map with water is fantastic.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Also Daisy will follow her leash. You can often see teams walk past you, Daisy howl at you, and they keep going.

e: Don't count on it though, be ready to run/pounce (pounce is great)

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 16, 2015

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Evilreaver posted:

Also Daisy will follow her leash. You can often see teams walk past you, Daisy howl at you, and they keep going.

e: Don't count on it though, be ready to run/pounce (pounce is great)

I've had that happen but I had one case where she just stood like 50 meters away howling in my general direction which kept the hunters circling for far too long.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Does Cabot's damage amplifier work on Eggs in Nest mode? You're able to connect with the beam when it's armor is gone but it's kind of hard to tell if it has any effect.

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
What happens after the hunters respawn after being dead? Do they have any penalties or good as new?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I spent the evening mindlessly unlocking characters, and drat I love the support line... I'm loving Bucket's UAV for its ability to hamper the monster from slipping away when the arena goes down, but I can't justify not playing as Cabot when I'm in support.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

thehomemaster posted:

I assume sneaking past the soundsticks means they don't go off?

Correct.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I've had that happen but I had one case where she just stood like 50 meters away howling in my general direction which kept the hunters circling for far too long.

Which is yet another reason why Cabot is the best support.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Does Cabot's damage amplifier work on Eggs in Nest mode? You're able to connect with the beam when it's armor is gone but it's kind of hard to tell if it has any effect.

It does, still can't compete with Bucket's ability to solo the eggs though.

The battery on Cabot's damage amp is drained by damage. In other words, lots of damage at once(such as mines) will drain the battery in a second. Where as somebody with an SMG will take ages to drain your damage amp(and you should stop using it). If you see your battery drain very quickly, then you're doing a good job.

El Pato posted:

What happens after the hunters respawn after being dead? Do they have any penalties or good as new?

They keep the penalties.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 16, 2015

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

If they have Daisy you can use water. Treat it like you would those little Speed Arrow things on the track in racing games like F-zero. Make your tracks point one way, hop int he water and haul rear end down the river.

Another tactic I use as the monster is that Ill kill one thing in a group, move on, kill another single critter, move on. to lower my chance of attracting carrion birds. once Im convinced the hunters are far enough away down the wrong side of the map Ill start gorging.

I also delay my first meal for a bit, letting the hunters gt far away. As soon as I get Carrion birds I move into full gorge mode.

Once I got carrion birds after eating one of those little egg clutches that little bug critter poops out. :shrek:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I definitely think your last choice should be locked out, every game I'm joining now I am being shunted to monster but I want to learn the different classes in PVP more. I assume the other pubbies are parties and that's why I'm monster every time?

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
There's sooo much waiting around in the menus before and after matches. It's really ridiculous.

And why are there hunter voice lines saying that we should kill the wildlife, when that's a really bad idea? It just seems like they had no idea where they were going when they designed this game.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

lonter posted:

There's sooo much waiting around in the menus before and after matches. It's really ridiculous.

And why are there hunter voice lines saying that we should kill the wildlife, when that's a really bad idea? It just seems like they had no idea where they were going when they designed this game.

Killing wildlife works if it's a buff monster since you're denying the buff if you all pick it up because then the monster can't.

Killing regular wildlife works only if you know the monster is heading in the opposite direction and it's still stage 1 or early stage 2 because even if they double back and find + eat it they lose that armor when they evolve. By the time they are stage 3 that wildlife corpse has probably decayed if they did not find it yet. But you don't want to leave corpses laying around in stage 3.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I was having a harder time over the weekend getting hunter spots when I got tired of playing monster, too. It also got annoying that I was either getting matched up with groups on Teamspeak, better players, and/or I started playing pretty bad. I kept sticking it out with Goliath to try and grind out the 3rd stars, but ugh, just got wrecked over and over again. More and more teams are popping up Caira/Cabot/Maggie/Markov. Between the speed boost, dust tagging, and Daisy I can't seem to break away at all and barely even have time for snacks here and there. The 2 star stamina regen perk didn't seem to help. Once bubbled, that team shits out damage and Caira makes it real hard to get a knockdown at lvl 1 or 2. Get trapped, maybe get a knockdown, lose all armor and a couple bars of health, run away and either get armor back and repeat the process or evolve and get caught armorless.

Goliath just feels so effing clunky to play, like I'm fighting the controls and geometry just as much as the hunters. Wraith and Kraken are pretty fluid (comparatively..) on movement and using abilities. Goliath against a good team I spend half my time jumping and climbing while getting laid in to for the opportunity of using slow animations that I pray don't get caught on terrain or miss when it looks like it should've hit. I love the guy but really should just switch to Kraken and Wraith so it's not as much like playing Street Fighter with an Ouya controller.

(I'm totally whiny about being bad and getting stuck against organized players when I just wanna scrub it up on the hunter side but I'm also curious if other folks are havin a rough time.)

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Killing wildlife works if it's a buff monster since you're denying the buff if you all pick it up because then the monster can't.

Killing regular wildlife works only if you know the monster is heading in the opposite direction and it's still stage 1 or early stage 2 because even if they double back and find + eat it they lose that armor when they evolve. By the time they are stage 3 that wildlife corpse has probably decayed if they did not find it yet. But you don't want to leave corpses laying around in stage 3.

Some of the organized folks I ran into would scorch the map of everything and it was much more difficult to armor/evolve up. The amount of decay and just less stuff available definitely appeared to outweigh the downside of setting up easier eats. Not to mention mines and turrets around the corpses being a nuisance.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love killing large monsters (megamouths especially) since they're almost as large as the Arc Mine bubble. :frog:

Killing high-food-value targets like Mammoth Birds (the tough striders that zap you) is usually a good thing to do, since they decay fast and thus you starve the monster more than hunting down lame things like reapers and canyon striders.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I just had my first game as Lazarus. It was a game in which the monster did not understand how Lazarus works, which I know because he was asking what happened in the postgame lobby, why people were coming back that the game told him were dead. The one time I got downed, Daisy revived me. Good times!

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth

teh_Broseph posted:

I was having a harder time over the weekend getting hunter spots when I got tired of playing monster, too. It also got annoying that I was either getting matched up with groups on Teamspeak, better players, and/or I started playing pretty bad. I kept sticking it out with Goliath to try and grind out the 3rd stars, but ugh, just got wrecked over and over again. More and more teams are popping up Caira/Cabot/Maggie/Markov. Between the speed boost, dust tagging, and Daisy I can't seem to break away at all and barely even have time for snacks here and there. The 2 star stamina regen perk didn't seem to help. Once bubbled, that team shits out damage and Caira makes it real hard to get a knockdown at lvl 1 or 2. Get trapped, maybe get a knockdown, lose all armor and a couple bars of health, run away and either get armor back and repeat the process or evolve and get caught armorless.

Goliath just feels so effing clunky to play, like I'm fighting the controls and geometry just as much as the hunters. Wraith and Kraken are pretty fluid (comparatively..) on movement and using abilities. Goliath against a good team I spend half my time jumping and climbing while getting laid in to for the opportunity of using slow animations that I pray don't get caught on terrain or miss when it looks like it should've hit. I love the guy but really should just switch to Kraken and Wraith so it's not as much like playing Street Fighter with an Ouya controller.

(I'm totally whiny about being bad and getting stuck against organized players when I just wanna scrub it up on the hunter side but I'm also curious if other folks are havin a rough time.)

Some of the organized folks I ran into would scorch the map of everything and it was much more difficult to armor/evolve up. The amount of decay and just less stuff available definitely appeared to outweigh the downside of setting up easier eats. Not to mention mines and turrets around the corpses being a nuisance.

You're not alone. Playing the monster is rough and every time I've jumped on without a group I get placed as a monster usually against a team of atleast three.

When it comes to monster play style I definitely feel that playing as the Goliath doesn't feel as natural as the kraken/wraith and it feels like your fighting with tethers on the whole game.

I got wrecked the first few times I played as a kraken, but if I can sneak until I'm level three as a kraken the hunters stand no chance.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xznX-bEkgVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JvmTq6Gz5w

Bucket <3<3<3

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 16, 2015

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
So I see a lot of people say that you should fight with full armor at level 1/2 before you evolve, but my experience with that is that I'm a tiny babby monster and I get spanked pretty hard. It's entirely possible I'm just terrible and have only just unlocked kraken and goliath is really bad at early engagements since he's kind a spounge by design. Am I just not mobile enough? I could see myself maybe getting an incap if I got lucky and managed to charge someone away from the group. Maybe I just need to Get Better.

I also need to get into my head that I should be pouncing lone hunters, not trying to punch them. I would ask about more hunter stuff, but I haven't had my playtime line up with my friends' yet so I haven't had a chance.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
as a level 1 monster you really need to pick your battles. I've managed to beat 3 teams at level 1 goliath by running until I found a massive sloth or one of those big huge water dino things. Having one of them rampaging around the arena while they're trying to kill you can really turn the tide. I had one match were the sloth came barrelling in and straight curb stomped Val as she had her back to him dodging me.

Even if you dont kill the group at level 1 with that tactic, if you gently caress a few guys up it's gonna make them considerably less of a threat - both while your chowing down to level 3 and when you get there.

EDIT: Also invariably the sloth/big monster ends up dead at some point and you can pretty easily double make and eat it on most maps while he hunters are licking their wounds.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Monsters can stealth past harpoon traps. Who knew?

Also had a Kraken pick me out the air with Banshee --> Banshee --> Air melee --> Air melee --> Vortex --> stealth pounce immediately on landing. Juggling like it was Tekken.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

d3c0y2 posted:

as a level 1 monster you really need to pick your battles. I've managed to beat 3 teams at level 1 goliath by running until I found a massive sloth or one of those big huge water dino things. Having one of them rampaging around the arena while they're trying to kill you can really turn the tide. I had one match were the sloth came barrelling in and straight curb stomped Val as she had her back to him dodging me.

Even if you dont kill the group at level 1 with that tactic, if you gently caress a few guys up it's gonna make them considerably less of a threat - both while your chowing down to level 3 and when you get there.

EDIT: Also invariably the sloth/big monster ends up dead at some point and you can pretty easily double make and eat it on most maps while he hunters are licking their wounds.

I had the thought of using the wildlife to help me out but never tried it. Is it better to try to ambush them near something big or leap over it so it's in their path and they go to kill it? I don't have any perspective for how difficult that is for hunters or if that's something you should slow down for. Other than killing lovely little critters because they're a nuisance I assumed they'd jetpack over something big or go around.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

Eldercain posted:

So I see a lot of people say that you should fight with full armor at level 1/2 before you evolve, but my experience with that is that I'm a tiny babby monster and I get spanked pretty hard.

I don't know if there is official Good Monster Advice yet but I feel like you're way better at early scrapping if you put all 3 points into a single ability like Rock Throw. I think it's all about being able hit a hunter hard enough that they need to disengage or suffer an incap. Many hunters seem to fight longer against a stage 1 monster because they don't think the monster has a rank 3 ability that can kill a 50% HP hunter yet.

My thinking is that I'm really only hoping to have one significant encounter before evolving to level 2, so it's fine if my toolbox only contains one really strong tool.

gonger fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 16, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah, way too many hunter teams will ignore a large critter rampaging inside the fight area I guess because they feel like they should be focusing on the monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I love vortexing someone into a Tyrant. It makes me moist.

• Locked thread