Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I find myself confused why space is being complained about considering a 32gb card is involved.

But he is right in one regard: There's absolutely no way to find out how many blocks a game takes up until you've got enough money to pay for it.

And that's a bit silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Is this site only for Wii U keys or does it work for 3DS as well?
https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem#/

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

When you say you want to buy something on the eShop, but before you confirm, it tells you how many blocks it will take, and how many you will have left after.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

John Lee posted:

When you say you want to buy something on the eShop, but before you confirm, it tells you how many blocks it will take, and how many you will have left after.

But only if you have enough funds to buy it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bottom Liner posted:

You said it yourself. drat dude.

Yeah you're right Nintendo can do whatever they want because some people have free space?

:psyduck:

poo poo design is poo poo design dude.

Zaa Boogie posted:

I find myself confused why space is being complained about considering a 32gb card is involved.

But he is right in one regard: There's absolutely no way to find out how many blocks a game takes up until you've got enough money to pay for it.

And that's a bit silly.

Why are you confused? That is literally the thing being complained about. That one thing. That one regard which you say is right. That's the only thing people were talking about.

John Lee posted:

Dude I just loving explained this. You have to have enough funds first, which means you have to add funds first.

Technically no you don't have to buy the game, but hope you like $40 in your eShop!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 16, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Neo Helbeast posted:

I'd thought that the Donkey Kong Land games were on the 3DS VC, but I don't see them at all. Am I missing something or are they not on the VC?

They're on the european one but not on the american one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ohvee posted:

Is this site only for Wii U keys or does it work for 3DS as well?
https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem#/

It works for both.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude I just loving explained this. You have to have enough funds first, which means you have to add funds first.

Technically no you don't have to buy the game, but hope you like $40 in your eShop!

Well, golly and gosh, my mistake. It's never been relevant to me, so I didn't know; I've only tried to buy a game when I had enough money for it, and never cared to watch my blocks like I was counting calories. I was ignorant, and now am less so.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Zaphod, I agreed with you that not being able to see the number of blocks before you buy it is kind of dumb. Chill, man.

And it was complained about before. But that *was* about space primarily, not just about being able to see how many blocks a thing is first.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are there more Wii titles coming to the VC?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah you're right Nintendo can do whatever they want because some people have free space?

:psyduck:

poo poo design is poo poo design dude.

Why are you confused? That is literally the thing being complained about. That one thing. That one regard which you say is right. That's the only thing people were talking about.

You guys sure do care an awful lot about blocks.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

It's not the blocks we are me about it's the way Nintendo tells you about the blocks! They have a blockade on block info!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wildtortilla posted:

It's not the blocks we are me about it's the way Nintendo tells you about the blocks! They have a blockade on block info!

You just got blockblocked

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

It is above their comfort zone you see.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm really glad that nintendo is rereleasing pretty much every extinct wii game that now costs like 90 bucks or more it was impossible to find Return to Dreamland for a reasonable price. I'd say Xenoblade is one of those but they've already got the New 3DS version.

I strongly suspect that at some point we'll see a cross-buy WiiU/3DS Xenoblade now that Nintendo is experimenting with cross-buy. Probably when Xenoblade X comes out.

I'm still hoping for DKC Returns to come out in NA. Maybe this week...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wildtortilla posted:

Are there more Wii titles coming to the VC?
Europe/Australia are getting Kirby's Adventure Wii (which I believe was called Kirby's Return to Dreamland in NA) this week apparently. There were a few others shown when they were announced on the Nintendo Direct too. There will be more, it'll just be a slow drip like with other VC platforms.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I'm angry about that one guy that's angry about blocks, but unlike him I can parlay my indignance into Internet cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 19):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Puzzle Monkeys - €2.99 / £2.99
    Citizens of Earth (demo)
WII CLASSICS FOR WII U
    Kirby's Adventure Wii (requires Wiimote) - - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones - €9.99 / £9.49 or €8.99 / £7.99 if you own another Curve Digital game until February 19
    Lone Survivor: Director's Cut - €8.99 / £7.49 or €7.49 / £6.49 if you own another Curve Digital game until February 19
    The Swapper - €10.99 / £8.99 or €9.49 / £7.49 if you own another Curve Digital game until February 19
    Thomas Was Alone - €5.99 / £4.99 or €4.99 / £4.49 if you own another Curve Digital game until February 19
    Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.99 until February 26
    Knytt Underground (Wii U eShop) - €3.99/ £3.99 until February 26
    Spy Chameleon (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until March 5
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 from until March 12
    Batman Arham City: Armoured Edition (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    Batman Arham Origins (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    Batman Arham Origins Blackgate HD (Wii U eShop) - €14.99 / £10.99 from February 19-March 4
    Game Party Champions (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    Hot Wheels: World's Best Driver (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    Injustice: Gods Among Us (Wii U) - €29.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 4
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Wii U) - €29.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 4
    Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii U) - €29.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 4
    Lego Batman 3; Beyond Gotham (Wii U) - €44.99 / £34.99 from February 19-March 4
    Lego The Hobbit (Wii U) - €29.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 4
    Angry Birds Star Wars (Wii U) - €29.99 / £24.99 from February 19-March 5
    Angry Birds Trilogy (Wii U) - €19.99 / £14.99 from February 19-March 5
    Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge (Wii U) - €24.99 / £24.99 from February 19-March 5
    The Mazing Spiderman 2 (Wii U) - €29.99 / £24.99 from February 19-March 5
    The Amazing Spiderman (Wii U) - €24.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    The Lego Movie Videogame (Wii U) - €29.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    Transformers Prime; The Game (Wii U) - €24.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (Wii U) - €29.99 / £24.99 from February 19-March 5

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Luv Me Buddies Wonderland - €24.90 / £19.90
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Cha-A-Lot - €7.49 / £7.19, introductory price €3.99 / £3.59
    Flap Flap - €7.99 / £7.19
    Best of Arcade Games: Bubble Buster - €9.99 / £8.99
    Best of Board Games: Solitaire - €9.99 / £8.99
    Citizens of Earth (demo)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Sweet Memories Blackjack (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until February 26
    Brunch Panic (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until February 26
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until February 26
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £13.49 from February 19-26
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS eShop) - €12.99 / £11.69 from February 19-26
    Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate (3DS) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    Hot Wheels: World's Best Driver (3DS) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    Lego Marvel Superheroes: Universe in Peril (3DS) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (3DS) - €34.99 / £24.99 from February 19-March 4
    Lego Legends of Chima; Laval's Journey (3DS) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    Lego Ninjago: Nindroids (3DS) - €29.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 4
    Lego The Hobbit (3DS) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    The Lego Movie Videogame (3DS) - €19.99 / £15.99 from February 19-March 4
    Angry Birds Star Wars (3DS) - €25.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    Angry Birds Trilogy (3DS) - €25.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    Moshi Monsters Moshlings Theme Park (3DS) - €19.99 / £12.99 from February 19-March 5
    Spongebob Squarepants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge (3DS) - €25.99 / £24.99 from February 19-March 5
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Danger of the Ooze (3DS) - €25.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    Amazing Spiderman (3DS) - €25.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    Amazing Spiderman 2 (3DS) - €25.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    Transformers Prime: The Game (3DS) - €25.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (3DS) - €25.99 / £19.99 from February 19-March 5
    Toys vs. Monsters (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.99 until March 12

Sorry for the late schedule, I was having connection issues.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts GBA has an exclusive arrange mode that lets you take different branching paths based on levels from other games in the series. It's a neat feature but I don't know if it makes up for the reduced screen size.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of February 19):

Sorry for the late schedule, I was having connection issues.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts GBA has an exclusive arrange mode that lets you take different branching paths based on levels from other games in the series. It's a neat feature but I don't know if it makes up for the reduced screen size.

The reduced screen size is a pain in a couple of areas but can be somewhat mitigated by careful play. It's not nearly as bad as Megaman & Bass. It's a solid port and totally worth getting, but I'd grab the SNES version first because it looks and sounds slightly better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm still excited for Harmony of Dissonance even though it's the worst Metroid style Castlevania.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm still excited for Harmony of Dissonance even though it's the worst Metroid style Castlevania.

GameRankings ranks them as follows:

1. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 93.03%
2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 90.35%
3. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon 88.11%
4. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow 87.90%
5. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia 85.67%
6. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance 85.12%
7. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 84.98%

So it's really just splitting hairs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like it. It's pretty easy, and if you go the wrong way to a dead end, there's almost always an upgrade to compensate you for your time.

It's also nice to play a Belmont for once in a god drat Castlevania game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

HoD is the weakest but it's still a good game, pretty much. Personally I hold Ecclesia and Circle as the best ones (yes, even above Symphony).

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

less laughter posted:

GameRankings ranks them as follows:

1. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 93.03%
2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 90.35%
3. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon 88.11%
4. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow 87.90%
5. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia 85.67%
6. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance 85.12%
7. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 84.98%

So it's really just splitting hairs.

Why is Order of Ecclesia so low? That is some bullshit. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lists are stupid.

Also Portrait of Ruin is better than HoD.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zaa Boogie posted:

Why is Order of Ecclesia so low? That is some bullshit. :colbert:

FFS, the point was that they're all about even. The difference between the highest and the lowest is only 8%.

Like I said, this whole discussion is just splitting hairs. They're all great.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish StarTropics would come out on the Wii U vc. I've never played it before and that game looks interesting.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Lists are stupid.

Also Portrait of Ruin is better than HoD.

I bought Portrait when it came out and remember hating it. It's the only one on the list I never finished, I just can't remember what I thought was so awful about it. Maybe it was the constant switching between characters.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Spacebump posted:

I wish StarTropics would come out on the Wii U vc. I've never played it before and that game looks interesting.

It's great its Hawaiian Zelda.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spacebump posted:

You can get it on the Wii U via the Wii VC in Wii mode.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Startropics 1/2 are pretty much the only big first-party NES games not available on Wii U/3DS VC, I guess they're bound to show up sooner or later.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When does the US store update?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

loudog999 posted:

I bought Portrait when it came out and remember hating it. It's the only one on the list I never finished, I just can't remember what I thought was so awful about it. Maybe it was the constant switching between characters.

Switching characters as well as the game being set up as sub levels in the castle. I also hated the fact that there was a whole mission system, which was almost necessary to get experience to be at an adequate level. If you played the game like a normal Castlevania, you were massively underpowered the whole time. The missions were basically essential busy work, which had the constant bullshit of having to go back to the guy that gave them to you to finish them.

I beat it, but I didn't really like it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Abu Dave posted:

When does the US store update?

Thursdays, midday EST or thereabouts. First-party retail games often go up at midnight on release day.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I mentioned it in the amiibo thread but it's worth mentioning here, too - from the NCL investors' briefing;

quote:

We are also planning a free-download app for Wii U in which you can enjoy NES and Super NES games with your amiibo in the first half of this year.
With this app, once you tap your amiibo on the NFC area of the GamePad, you will be able to play highlighted scenes of one certain title for NES or Super NES. You cannot play the entire game due to a time limit, but another tap of the amiibo will enable you to try another highlighted scene in the game. We hope that when you tap your amiibo, the quickly changing game scenes will pleasantly surprise you and make you feel as though you have just exchanged a game cartridge.

This isn't meant to signify anything about the VC, it's just a value-add for individual Amiibos.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, so it will allow certain amiibos to serve demos for ancient games. Sort of :psyduck:, but at least it allows them not just gather dust.

I'd prefer if they started taking VC seriously again. I reckon the biggest obstacle to VC that pretty much dried those efforts from every company and not just Nintendo is the fact that those bloody old games now have to be rated with all the different rating boards in the world, a process that does take time and money, but still, there's always some return of investment there, surely?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If they bumped up prices of amiibos to 15 bucks but each one gave you eshop credit or a free VC game, that would serve a big promotion boost. Use that as an excuse to start reprinting all the waves and anyone who got the figures early basically got a lower price as a loyalty thing.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

If they bumped up prices of amiibos to 15 bucks but each one gave you eshop credit or a free VC game, that would serve a big promotion boost. Use that as an excuse to start reprinting all the waves and anyone who got the figures early basically got a lower price as a loyalty thing.

That would be awesome. As such it won't ever happen. Especially with the card amiibos confirmed.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I mentioned it in the amiibo thread but it's worth mentioning here, too - from the NCL investors' briefing;

This isn't meant to signify anything about the VC, it's just a value-add for individual Amiibos.

I'd loving love to see how Marth and Ike would operate differently between Japan and the rest of the world, since they only say NES and Super NES they're basically saying no Fire Emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'd loving love to see how Marth and Ike would operate differently between Japan and the rest of the world, since they only say NES and Super NES they're basically saying no Fire Emblem.

They all should just give you 10 minutes of play on any VC game per day.