Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm more interested about the outpost button, until...

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

That's cool but I also want a way to beam down to that from the ship.

This, basically. If this happens then actual excitement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I assume they haven't fixed the random number generator yet for the planets? :bahgawd: It's kinda important to fix something like that early on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

That's cool but I also want a way to beam down to that from the ship.
Presumably you could select that as an option from the ship's teleporter, just like you can currently select your home planet or your current planet.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick
I installed the update but I am finding everything pretty bland. Are there any mods to add more things to planets or underground to make mining more interesting? I feel like every planet so far is 3 variations of reskinned enemies and occasionally like a hut you don't do anything with. One time I found a planet that just had a bunch of marine tile square chambers below ground with arcade machines in them and that was it... the first one I was like okay cool but beyond that what is the point? Nothing could be interacted with.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Apparently, someone (I think in one of these threads?) found commands in the game's code that let you beam down to specific points on the planet, so I'm betting that where those finally come into play.

This is seriously one of my most anticipated features, not even lying.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Someone needs to make a tech that lets you TP to the surface from underground for spelunkering

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I'd like something like the teleport in marvel heroes, where your first teleport takes you to the ship/home and the next use gets you back where you where for easier loot hauling.

Make it a consumable or whatever, I just want all the loot without having to find my way back.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'd be happy just having a handheld item that lets me warp to my ship from anywhere. Terraria's version of that is called the Magic Mirror and it's a great convenience item. I don't mind having to find my way back down so much.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Here it's called save&exit, at least I'm using that to get back to the ship every time I can't be bothered to walk/jump all the way to the surface again.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Feindfeuer posted:

Here it's called save&exit, at least I'm using that to get back to the ship every time I can't be bothered to walk/jump all the way to the surface again.

Dude you just don't understand immersion.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Save and Exit is the best feature in this game. That and the /spawnitem command for when someone on the Outpost is like "You have 300 diamonds in storage on your ship. Go all the way back to the gate, teleport back to the gate where your ship is parked, teleport to your ship, grab 2 of them, teleport back to the gate, walk over to the console, teleport back to the Outpost gate, then walk all the way back over and give them to me. "

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

mutata posted:

Save and Exit is the best feature in this game.

agreed

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Alright so I'm looking at existing armor mods for giraffe to try and figure out how to update an old abandoned one, and I'm having a problem with the player.config thing, I think. This old mod has a player.config with a merge function at the top, and newer ones seem to use a player.config.patch file with entries for each armor item. However, if I try to use a player.config.patch file, I get an error about a missing player.config file. If I try to use that, I get an error about humanoidtiming. Any tips?

Edit: Also I've been trying to follow this tutorial where I can but it's concise enough to make me think I'm on the right track while simultaneously being too vague to be any real help, even with the downloaded example. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 15, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Does alien seaweed actually exist in the current game? I'm trying to figure out if there's a basic healing food upgrade from beakseed bread (170 hp), and aside from a ton of recipes that were apparently removed, rice cake or sushi looks promising (if I can just learn the recipe to see their current stats with this mod). Buuut you need seaweed to learn those, and I've only ever found kelp.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

mushroom_spore posted:

Does alien seaweed actually exist in the current game? I'm trying to figure out if there's a basic healing food upgrade from beakseed bread (170 hp), and aside from a ton of recipes that were apparently removed, rice cake or sushi looks promising (if I can just learn the recipe to see their current stats with this mod). Buuut you need seaweed to learn those, and I've only ever found kelp.

Here's the relevant code to those items:
code:
  "itemName" : "sushi",
  "effects" :
         "effect" : "foodheal240",
        "duration" : 60
        "effect" : "wellfed",
        "duration" : 210

"itemName" : "ricecake",
  "effects" :
        "effect" : "foodheal145",
        "duration" : 180
Seaweed is set to spawn on the ocean floor, but I've not spent a lot of time looking for it. It's possible that there's a bug preventing it from spawning, that it's rare, you have a mod causing issues, or it's easily missed.

I've been dicking around with guns trying to get some kind of clip action going, but I've not found any really solid ways to just add that. What i'm thinking about doing is having each gun overwrite your energy stat and removing all tech energy costs (maybe add a small cool down to each?). I know this could be an issue with dual wielding, but other than that are there any potential problems i'm overlooking?

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 15, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Here's the relevant code to those items:
code:
  "itemName" : "sushi",
  "effects" :
         "effect" : "foodheal240",
        "duration" : 210

"itemName" : "ricecake",
  "effects" :
        "effect" : "foodheal145",
        "duration" : 180
Seaweed is set to spawn on the ocean floor, but I've not spent a lot of time looking for it. It's possible that there's a bug preventing it from spawning, that it's rare, you have a mod causing issues, or it's easily missed.

I've been dicking around with guns trying to get some kind of clip action going, but I've not found any really solid ways to just add that. What i'm thinking about doing is having each gun overwrite your energy stat and removing all tech energy costs (maybe add a small cool down to each?). I know this could be an issue with dual wielding, but other than that are there any potential problems i'm overlooking?

Is there a stat for energy recover when it depletes the bar? You could have it augment that, so if they empty their energy bar it would recharge at the rate of the clip reload you set.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Awesome, thanks! Looks like sushi's a definite upgrade if I can just find seaweeds.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Davoren posted:

Alright so I'm looking at existing armor mods for giraffe to try and figure out how to update an old abandoned one, and I'm having a problem with the player.config thing, I think. This old mod has a player.config with a merge function at the top, and newer ones seem to use a player.config.patch file with entries for each armor item. However, if I try to use a player.config.patch file, I get an error about a missing player.config file. If I try to use that, I get an error about humanoidtiming. Any tips?

Edit: Also I've been trying to follow this tutorial where I can but it's concise enough to make me think I'm on the right track while simultaneously being too vague to be any real help, even with the downloaded example. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

I made a very simple mod that edits the player.config file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3CDuuBRWUG5cUJVWXdnaVFQYms/view?usp=sharing

All it does is make you grunt constantly, but it works. You should be able to change things from there. Post back if you're still having problems.

(Also - this mod is pretty much basic mod you could make, so if anyone's looking for a very simple mod to look at to get started, see how the Patch system works, etc, it might be useful for you too)

ColHannibal posted:

Is there a stat for energy recover when it depletes the bar? You could have it augment that, so if they empty their energy bar it would recharge at the rate of the clip reload you set.

I'm not sure this actually exists - doesn't it always recharge at the same rate, whether it's locked or not?

I think you might have to do something fancy like:
code:
if status.resourceLocked("energy") and status.resourcePercentage("energy") == 0 then
	~something that makes "energyRegenPercentageRate" bigger~
end

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 15, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Cool, thanks for the help. If you're a huge nerd like me and want to Starbind dressed as Metroid then here you go, original mod, Metroid armor pack by hoxalicious.

Updated version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3m-Q_qzjxC2WnltOGplc0M2Qmc/view?usp=sharing

Craftable at a basic anvil for a handful of pixels.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm feeling like it takes too long to get the first ship size upgrade.

Perhaps I need to stop stuffing all of my crafting stuff into it.

This would be better with a teleporter system mod or whatever the hell Chucklefish is supposed to add.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Inverness posted:

I'm feeling like it takes too long to get the first ship size upgrade.

Perhaps I need to stop stuffing all of my crafting stuff into it.

This would be better with a teleporter system mod or whatever the hell Chucklefish is supposed to add.

You're almost certainly intended to get ship upgrades much sooner than you do.

Though I do think that having the upgrades be rewards for finishing every quest in a given tier is a bad idea. Might be better to have the bosses drop an upgrade token you can turn in to the penguin market. That way your ship upgrade isn't dependent on folding a paper airplane for a random idiot in the outpost or whatever.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I have not played this game since 4-5 months ago. Has it improved and become more filled content wise or is everyone still pissed off?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Yes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No one was pissed off to begin with, but yeah, it's got more content. Improved is subjective; I think it hasn't, some other people think it has. If you own it, might as well give it a go.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Babe Magnet posted:

No one was pissed off to begin with, but yeah, it's got more content. Improved is subjective; I think it hasn't, some other people think it has. If you own it, might as well give it a go.

From what I remember from the last thread people were pretty pissed off that nothing was happening for months on end.

Has the mod community degenerated into furry everything yet?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Your memory might be spotty. People were making fun of the game/developers, but being mad isn't a prerequisite for being able to laugh at something terrible. A lot of us were just having fun at the expense of the increasingly large pile of poor mistakes Chucklefish were making in terms of the development they were posting about on their blog and also the nightlies. Maybe some people were upset, but they were being made fun of too by the majority.

The modding community is actually probably tamer than ever, but that's mostly because most of the modders got bored and left a few months into the 9 month wait. The Avian Sex Mod, the Dragon Dildo Mod, the one where you rape tied up/stockaded floran and then use the juice to make drinkable buff items, those were all from before the long wait.

E: In the beginning there were a lot of people that were starting to get pretty upset that the wait was so long, but almost all of them stopped posting for the rest of the wait (except to pop in and tell the thread how bad it is), maybe that's what you remember?

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 16, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Your memory might be spotty. People were making fun of the game/developers, but being mad isn't a prerequisite for being able to laugh at something terrible. A lot of us were just having fun at the expense of the increasingly large pile of poor mistakes Chucklefish were making in terms of the development they were posting about on their blog and also the nightlies. Maybe some people were upset, but they were being made fun of too by the majority.

The modding community is actually probably tamer than ever, but that's mostly because most of the modders got bored and left a few months into the 9 month wait. The Avian Sex Mod, the Dragon Dildo Mod, the one where you rape tied up/stockaded floran and then use the juice to make drinkable buff items, those were all from before the long wait.

E: In the beginning there were a lot of people that were starting to get pretty upset that the wait was so long, but almost all of them stopped posting for the rest of the wait (except to pop in and tell the thread how bad it is), maybe that's what you remember?

I dunno, when people start endlessly shitposting into a sea of shitposts instead of just doing anything else, you start to suspect they're actually really salty about it

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Magmarashi posted:

I dunno, when people start endlessly shitposting into a sea of shitposts instead of just doing anything else, you start to suspect they're actually really salty about it

Nah, we were actually just having fun since the game isn't really that fun OOOHHHHHHH

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

You can suspect anything your heart desires, but that doesn't make it true.

I was having a lot of fun making photoshops and audio clips, and I suspect everyone else doing the same was also doing so because they thought it was funny, not because they were mad. Hell, even some of the bigger culprits during the time we were joking around at the expense of C-Fish didn't even own the game and weren't going to buy it anyway. What could they have possibly been salty about?

E: either way, so we don't get too far off topic, if you're on the fence whether or not you should try the game again, I'd say you should, since opinions are divided enough to where you could be on either side, really. You have nothing to lose but a few hours of your time. If you're thinking about buying the game, my opinion is that you should not until we see that Chucklefish can actually keep to a sane update schedule this time, since it doesn't matter if you like the game or not when the next update could be 7 or 8 or 9 months from now.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 16, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Did they finish moving to England? Why is it so much trouble for them to just suck it up and put some content/updates out?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah they finished a few months ago I think? The transition didn't really seem to take that long, but who knows how much of it they actually finished before they let us know anyway.

And I'm sure someone will bring it up, but they technically released updates through something they called Nightlies, which was the alpha version of the alpha of the game's beta. It was clearly a sloppily compiled test version of the game (it was never meant to be anything else, to be fair), but even the nightly was delayed a few times and a lot of the time people couldn't even run it. Admin-mode was automatically enabled and it deleted/invalidated your save file every time it updated (which was (almost) every day) so it was garbage to actually try and play. It was only really good for previews of upcoming content. Well, is, I should say, since the nightlies are still a thing.

As for the main reason the update took so long, no one really knows.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah they finished a few months ago I think? The transition didn't really seem to take that long, but who knows how much of it they actually finished before they let us know anyway.

And I'm sure someone will bring it up, but they technically released updates through something they called Nightlies, which was the alpha version of the alpha of the game's beta. It was clearly a sloppily compiled test version of the game (it was never meant to be anything else, to be fair), but even the nightly was delayed a few times and a lot of the time people couldn't even run it.

Admin-mode was automatically enabled and it deleted/invalidated your save file every time it updated
Neither of those things are true but

Babe Magnet posted:

It was only really good for previews of upcoming content.
this part is true, so I guess whatever.

They have put out another (smaller) Unstable update which is supposed to hit Stable this week. If that actually does come out it'll be a good sign.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a final release date yet?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Any day now!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I still can't believe we don't have the hylotl villages, those are the only things i'm really shocked we don't have yet. Some differences in the settlements would be kind of nice, too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Neither of those things are true but

What parts weren't true? Not being able to launch some of the Nightly updates was a common problem in the last thread and you don't have to look very far back on the blog to find posts that talk about the Nightly not being updated for that night.

Grapplejack posted:

I still can't believe we don't have the hylotl villages, those are the only things i'm really shocked we don't have yet. Some differences in the settlements would be kind of nice, too.

lmao the hylotl village screenshot that I don't think was ever actually in the game is still on the game's steam Store page

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 16, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://terrariaotherworld.com/

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why is that trailer so goddamned dark? At first I thought there was something wrong with my phone.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Whoever edited that put absurdly long framecounts on their fade transitions, so it never achieves full brightness before it starts fading to the next .5 second clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

bring back sandmining

• Locked thread