Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

The preview video seemed awfully dark, though that could also be because the person who edited it was starting a new fade cut before the old ones ended. The concept is pretty intriguing, though!

EDIT: I'm gonna stick that in the OP, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
That rain effect is amazing and I am hype beyond belief. More Terraria

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So how exactly will it be different from Terraria?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

omeg posted:

So how exactly will it be different from Terraria?

terraria 2: more terrarias

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Saxophone posted:

Looks interesting. Unfortunately I'm leery that it's going to be the same bullet-hellish type combat system Terraria has.

Could be super neat, though.

I'm hopeful that given a chance to start anew with more experience and more coders they'll be able to avoid making those same basic mistakes that all coalesce to make late-game content so hellish. A blocking mechanic, for one thing. Or dynamic difficulty so certain things are actually possible in singleplayer. Also maybe don't give players near-infinite mobility halfway through the game so the only way you can think to compensate is to have the bosses spam lasers everywhere.

The thing I'm worried about is whether the basic gameplay will be different enough that upon release it will avoid the pitfall of just feeling like a less-feature-filled version of the first game.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I hope they don't do any of those things because current Terraria's combat is perfectly serviceable and fun and I don't want this to turn into another Starbound :colbert:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I hope they don't do any of those things because current Terraria's combat is perfectly serviceable and fun and I don't want this to turn into another Starbound :colbert:

whats starbound

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

dijon du jour posted:

I'm hopeful that given a chance to start anew with more experience and more coders they'll be able to avoid making those same basic mistakes that all coalesce to make late-game content so hellish. A blocking mechanic, for one thing. Or dynamic difficulty so certain things are actually possible in singleplayer. Also maybe don't give players near-infinite mobility halfway through the game so the only way you can think to compensate is to have the bosses spam lasers everywhere.

The thing I'm worried about is whether the basic gameplay will be different enough that upon release it will avoid the pitfall of just feeling like a less-feature-filled version of the first game.

Is this going to be that much of a rebuild? I had more of an impression of something akin to a professionally done total conversion mod.

i.e., I think this isn't Terraria 2?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

XboxPants posted:

The wording isn't clear, but "we will be collaborating on a new project that is not Terraria 2" seems to hint that it isn't Terraria 2

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

XboxPants posted:

One of the Terraria devs clarifies in the comments thread that this isn't Terraria 2.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
where's 1.3

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Just because this isn't Terraria 2 doesn't mean they have to ctrl-c, ctrl-v the code from Terraria and there's no room for them to re-work and improve on game mechanics, or at the very least not make the exact same mistakes made the first time. Just looking at the trailer already the player has WAY less inertia than they do in Terraria.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My friend and I sorta trashed our second world, and we want to start a new map. Problem is that none of us want to build a giant 18 room house to service all the NPCs and make a huge storage room again. Are there any recommended map downloads that include a sizable home but no other world tinkering?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
too lazy to make a bunch of rectangles with doors all next to each other *shakes head*

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"We're working on a new project that isn't Terraria 2." What the hell is this then, Terraria B?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

"We're working on a new project that isn't Terraria 2." What the hell is this then, Terraria B?

The fact that they're giving so much credit to Engine Software (the company that does their ports) makes me think they're gonna let that studio do their own thing. Which I guess is neat.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
This looks like it's less Terraria 2 and more down the route of the Terraria: Story of Red Cloud mod. Neat. I wish they had put time into making adventure maps like that for Terraria.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Jesto posted:

This looks like it's less Terraria 2 and more down the route of the Terraria: Story of Red Cloud mod. Neat. I wish they had put time into making adventure maps like that for Terraria.

Thats how i feel too. :haw:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
but seriously when's 1.3

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

:shrug:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I'm not sure how I feel about this look. It's reminiscent of the movie-licensed crap games of the 16-bit generation. And Bubsy. It's an unfortunate combination.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i like it but the player sprite is kind of crap

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it looks like an acorn-headed hunchback

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

but seriously when's 1.3
Current word from Terraria person Cenx is "not in February or March 2015" but sometime before year's end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DoubleNegative posted:

One of the Terraria devs clarifies in the comments thread that this isn't Terraria 2.

This new Terraria game isn't Terraria 2 just like how Assassin's Creed Brotherhood wasn't Assassin's Creed 3, it was just the 3rd Assassin's Creed game to be made.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this look. It's reminiscent of the movie-licensed crap games of the 16-bit generation. And Bubsy. It's an unfortunate combination.

Now that you mentioned it, I can't unsee it. The art style is very reminiscent of the 16-bit licensed Disney games! It also kinda reminds me of the graphical upgrades applied to SNES RPGs when they're re-released for mobile devices.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

but seriously when's 1.3

Any day n...

no, it just doesn't feel right.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

The health/mana text and icons look pretty goddamn bad, and the hotbar also looks similarly lovely. Most other things look kind of "ehhh..." although I don't like how zoomed-in it seems to be.

DoubleNegative posted:

Now that you mentioned it, I can't unsee it. The art style is very reminiscent of the 16-bit licensed Disney games! It also kinda reminds me of the graphical upgrades applied to SNES RPGs when they're re-released for mobile devices.
"Upgrades" :airquote: which often end up looking horrible. I am not a fan of this look.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Zereth posted:

"Upgrades" :airquote: which often end up looking horrible. I am not a fan of this look.

You mean you don't think this looks good? :shepface:

(I agree it looks like poo poo)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ughhhhh :barf:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alright, we'll call one of them 'terraria 1' while the other gets to be 'terraria A'

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DoubleNegative posted:

You mean you don't think this looks good? :shepface:

(I agree it looks like poo poo)

As long as people keep buying those half-assed FFD :effort: ports of previous FF games they're going to keep making GBS threads them out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

alright, we'll call one of them 'terraria 1' while the other gets to be 'terraria A'

I prefer the Cotton Hill method, the Terraria we have is GT and the Terraria we're being shown is BT

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I must be alone in really liking the direction the art is going. I hoped it would look more painterly than pixely to go along with the revised Terraria website and it looks like it has. Also reminds me fondly of the 90's pc adventure games like Full Throttle and such.

Hopefully the combat get some good upgrades from T1, as I always found the mobs just trying to stand on top of you rather boring. Not to say I love the new Starbound combat system, but they are trying to improve on it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This'd look great if the character gets some idle animations. First thing that comes to mind is that Scott Pilgrim game.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

graynull posted:

I must be alone in really liking the direction the art is going. I hoped it would look more painterly than pixely to go along with the revised Terraria website and it looks like it has. Also reminds me fondly of the 90's pc adventure games like Full Throttle and such.

Hopefully the combat get some good upgrades from T1, as I always found the mobs just trying to stand on top of you rather boring. Not to say I love the new Starbound combat system, but they are trying to improve on it.

I think most of the problem is down to the oddly low quality screenshots, the character sprites being a lot more low res than the backgrounds, and the fact that most of those shots aren't very well composed. Like that house for instance, the tiles that make up the thing don't really look bad but the whole thing taken together is just this confusing pile of stuff.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Optimistic. As someone who doesn't have a problem with hard-mode bosses, bring on more Terraria.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ernie Muppari posted:

I think most of the problem is down to the oddly low quality screenshots, the character sprites being a lot more low res than the backgrounds, and the fact that most of those shots aren't very well composed. Like that house for instance, the tiles that make up the thing don't really look bad but the whole thing taken together is just this confusing pile of stuff.
Given how hosed up the health/mana text is I wonder if these were resized after being taken.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
that new terraria looks way better in motion and also way dark than in the screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Reason posted:

that new terraria looks way better in motion and also way dark than in the screenshot

guys i think it was just nightime in the video

• Locked thread