Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What should I call my custom Romuva empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Baron Porkface posted:

George.

It's a good name.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Already taken by some slavs or whomever.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Porkface posted:

Corporate-Personhood.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Looking forward to the tech update -- the game crawls on a Late 2013 rMBP (so much so that it isn't worth playing after 100 years :-S).

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
If I rulerdesign a guy who's reformed Norse and start at say, Charlemagne, will it play like it would if I had reformed the religion myself?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Nuclear War posted:

If I rulerdesign a guy who's reformed Norse and start at say, Charlemagne, will it play like it would if I had reformed the religion myself?

No, there still won't be any fylkariate and so on. You'll just have a religion without any allies essentially and realy low morale authority.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Nuclear War posted:

You can't start with reformed pagan religions from the designer, but you can sort of fake it with the console. Type "religion norse_pagan_reformed" then "give_title d_norse_pagan_reformed [character id]". You could also just give yourself all five holy sites, reform the religion, then hand them back, but I haven't tested that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tulul posted:

You can't start with reformed pagan religions from the designer, but you can sort of fake it with the console. Type "religion norse_pagan_reformed" then "give_title d_norse_pagan_reformed [character id]". You could also just give yourself all five holy sites, reform the religion, then hand them back, but I haven't tested that.

That does work. It's how I do the Fylkirate when I want to do it easy. Mostly because I kept trying to give_title d_fylkirate, which did not work. :downs: Interestingly, even after I grant independence to the temples, the owners of their respective counties are usually rather slow taking them back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dallan Invictus posted:

That is the same event chain that fires when you go through succession while over the vassal limit, so my guess is either:

a) the game is bugged (or exceptionally picky) and will trigger it when you are at the vassal limit as well as over.
b) the heir has a lower vassal limit than the previous ruler and the game checks it against the heir's.

edit oh, wait, I looked closer at the screenshots and b) can't be true, oh well.

Unless the revolting vassals have been removed from his vassal limit, maybe?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Ugh, was trying to keep ultimogeniture but my loving emperor keeps having kids. Now I'm 75 and racing against this war I foolishly joined so I can quickly change the succession to primogeniture so my 5 year son doesn't inherit again and let everyone drive the crown laws back down. :argh:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Is Crusader Kings II vanilla worth 10 bucks or is it like EU4 and really starts to shine with $50 bucks of DLC added on?

Kyyrewyyoae
Jul 20, 2007

Vae debilibus!
Charlemagne DLC is down to $3.74 through 2/20.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is Crusader Kings II vanilla worth 10 bucks or is it like EU4 and really starts to shine with $50 bucks of DLC added on?

Vanilla is easily worth 10 bucks. However there's a pack with like 20 dlc in it that often goes for cheap, which is worth it because the dlc is good.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Its been on my wishlist forever, so right now my option is 10 bucks for the base game or 40 bucks for the base game and everything else.

Though if all the DLC comes down to 10 bucks from time to time maybe I'll just nab the base and wait.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It is easily worth :10bux:. The DLC are awesome and you should get them, but if you're not sure you're ready for that sort of commitment, play the base game. :10bux: is a loving steal.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Is seniority known to be broken? I enforced seniority in my liege's realm through a faction demand (no war) and the heir screen is still showing the old, gavelkind heirs.

Edit: Reloading the game worked. I'll post a bug report in a bit.

Green Wing fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 16, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Green Wing posted:

Edit: Reloading the game worked. I'll post a bug report in a bit.
It might take a while to fix
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...=1#post18881272

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I got the base game a little while back and have spent like 70 hours on it so far without feeling like I've exhausted anything yet. I'll get the expansions at some point but I don't feel any rush to do so.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Its been on my wishlist forever, so right now my option is 10 bucks for the base game or 40 bucks for the base game and everything else.

Though if all the DLC comes down to 10 bucks from time to time maybe I'll just nab the base and wait.

Get Way of Life and The Old Gods.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
And CK2 Vanilla still comes with all the post-release patches that have come along with the DLC, you just don't get the extra content, which is nice but not necessary if you're just starting out.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

I bought this and "The Republic" earlier. I should stop adding more expansions while I still haven't properly grasped some of the more basic mechanics, but there are so many and it adds new things to chase. :saddowns::hf::)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
My recommendation is to put all the DLCs on your wishlist so Steam just lets you know when they're on sale, and then you buy. I like playing Muslim rulers and I have been looking forward to Rajas of India, which I bought today. Ruler Design (with Ruler Design Unlocked mod) is a pretty major deal if you want to try out something new and don't want it to go horribly wrong in the first few minutes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just looked up what we got for free through patches.

Patch 1.06:

quote:

Added new provinces, titles and history for Mali, Songhay and Ghana
Added the province of Aprutium (split off from Spoleto)
Added the new creatable Empires of Russia, Britannia, Spain, Francia, Scandinavia, Persia and Arabia
Strong and Weak Claim System
Added plots to claim titles
Split up the former Kingdom of Khazaria into many de jure kingdoms
Split the Kingdom of Rus into the kingdoms of Rus and Ruthenia
Added the duchies of Susa and Latium
Revised murder plots completely. No decisions, just events.
Commander traits added

I can't even remember how claims worked before SoI. Commander traits! Map expansion + empires besides the HRE and ERE.

Patch 1.07:

quote:

Faction System
Characters can have both a Plot and an Ambition
Liege levies. You only raise levies from your direct vassals, and they are not directly connected to Holdings.
A number of self-improvement Ambitions for characters
New religions: Miaphysite, Nestorian, Monothelite
Spymaster's Discover Plots job has been renamed to Scheme, and now also affects faction membership
Now always allowed to move capital back to the traditional capital of your primary title (even if you've moved capital once already)

Faction system!! The self-improve ambitions that are replaced by the focus system from Way of Life. Ability to have both a plot and ambition. Liege levies worked a lot different, you would actually raise the troops from your vassals' holdings, emptying them just like your personal holdings are emptied now if you raise your troops.

Patch 1.08:

quote:

Retinues no longer get free leaders
Liege levies raised via the province view are now raised in the selected province.
You can now forbid your council from leading armies.

You could get a huge number of able courtiers if your retinues were big enough. That reminds me that the retinue system was a lot different, the higher your military organization tech was, the more retinues you got (as a percentage of your levies I believe), but at the same time your could raise fewer and fewer troops directly from your holdings.

Raising levies in a special province is a popular and somewhat gamey tactic. Give your vassal kings a county at the front and teleport all the troops from your home to the frontlines.

Patch 1.09:

quote:

Added a 'Grant Independence' diplomatic interaction
Titles can now automatically change name depending on the culture of their top liege
Added 1241 Bookmark - "The Mongols"
Reduced max demesne size from ruler tier, especially for Dukes
Reduced the effect of Stewardship on max demesne size (now 15%, down from 25%.)
Added a max demesne size bonus (+1) for dukes with more than one duchy
All merc regiments now grow in max size over time
Added more mercenary bands: Finns, Lapps, Abyssinians, Nubians, Lithuanians, Scots, Irish and Alans
Added Ultimogeniture succession law
Added Tanistry succession law

Tanistry and Ultimogeniture! Demesne size overhaul. Mercs no longer being a lot weaker in the endgame, more mercs!

Patch 1.10:

quote:

Completely revised technology system
Revised buildings to fit the new tech system
Revised the Religious Authority system, with Holy Sites for all religions
Added new "The Mongols" bookmark set in 1220
Added the County and Duchy of Amalfi (merchant republic)
Added "Steppe" terrain

New technology and revised buildings system! Holy sites and a better religious authority system.

Patch 2.0

quote:

Ironman mode
Steam Achievements

Ironman! Achievements! I'm an achievement whore :negative:

Patch 2.1:

quote:

Major map revisions and additions: East Africa, Armenia, Central Asia, Siberia and India
Added diplomatic range, blocking diplomacy and councillor actions vs too distant characters
Factions will now revolt as a single unified realm under a temporary title
Added attrition for units that have been "out-of-supply" for too long (can't live off the land in neutral counties, etc)
New unit type system allowing for more flexible unit types, including War Elephants, Camel Warriors and Horse Archers
Revamped decadence system, based on a new decadent trait, and possibility to "straighten up" decadent relatives.
Seljuk and Timur start as courtiers with special events to encourage their rise to power, rather than appearing as horde leaders. The Mongols function largely as before, although starting further east.

Huge map expansion! Diplomatic range, unified faction revolts, new system for cultural special units. Biggest decadence overhaul.

Patch 2.2:

quote:

Added tribal holdings
Added a learning scenario for new players.
Added the Centralization law, used to control demesne size and vassal limit bonuses.
Added Era and character quick selection screen
Wars can no longer be won before a major battle has taken place or 3 years have passed
Added new decision to go into hiding for characters who are (real or imagined) targets of murder plots. Spouse or children who are targets can also be sent into hiding.
Ibadi is no longer a Sunni heresy, but a separate religion.
Added Kharijite religion as a possible heresy for Ibadi.
Added large number of tribal holdings to map for all start dates.
Added Imperial Administration Law for Byzantium (Increases vassal limit and allows viceroys on both kingdoms and duchies while slightly lowering feudal vassal opinion)

Tribal holdings. Centralization and imperial administration laws.

TL;DR:

Even the unpatched base game was worth 10 bucks, with all the stuff they patched in it's money well spent.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well guess that solves my conundrum... got Way of Life recently on impulse, promising myself I'd wait until Charlemagne was on sale to get it too, as I have every minor+major DLC for this game excluding songs, units and other purely cosmetic stuff. Not one week later, Charlemagne is at -75%, and now my CK2 is fully up-to-date again :v: this game is like a drug.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SeaTard posted:

Get Way of Life and The Old Gods.

Old Gods is the only dlc that expands the playable characters that I recommend for an newish player. Soa, wol, and lor are my top 3 because of what they add to the base.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

:negative:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Making a Byzantine Republic and aiming for the Roman Empire looks fun. I tried recently as the HRE, but then I realized you can't loving form the Roman Empire that way. :argh:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
New minor patch:

quote:

MAJOR:
- Fixed issues in lobby when players were loading saves
CONVERTER:
- Added copy folder to sunset invasion scenario conversion

And apparently we won't be getting another anytime soon

quote:

Yeah, unless something really bad turns up we will not be patching any more for some time, I dont want to risk breaking the current pretty stable version.

That's...pretty disappointing given what the thread (well, Strudel Man) has been digging up over the past few pages.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 17, 2015

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Volkerball posted:

Making a Byzantine Republic and aiming for the Roman Empire looks fun. I tried recently as the HRE, but then I realized you can't loving form the Roman Empire that way. :argh:

I've just gotten as far as having a Roman Republic starting as the Khazars. Inheritance is interesting, since Born in the Purple trumps the republic's Designated Heir title, with the most senior Born in the Purple having preference for inheritance.
I think Designated Heir would still let you pick which Born in the Purple heir you can get though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Edison was a dick posted:

I've just gotten as far as having a Roman Republic starting as the Khazars. Inheritance is interesting, since Born in the Purple trumps the republic's Designated Heir title, with the most senior Born in the Purple having preference for inheritance.
I think Designated Heir would still let you pick which Born in the Purple heir you can get though.

Do you think you could convert to orthodox to create the Byzantine Empire, then switch back to something else later? The biggest thing discouraging me is that I have no interest in playing as a Byzantine vassal, and starting as an emperor is so lame. And you can't form the Byzantine once you've conquered it unless you're orthodox.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Edison was a dick posted:

The honorary title of despot gives a non purple heir their position in succession as if they were born in the purple.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Volkerball posted:

Do you think you could convert to orthodox to create the Byzantine Empire, then switch back to something else later?

That is how I did it.

quote:

The biggest thing discouraging me is that I have no interest in playing as a Byzantine vassal, and starting as an emperor is so lame. And you can't form the Byzantine once you've conquered it unless you're orthodox.

You also lose the Varangian Guard if you re-form the Empire, and destroy the Ecumenical Patriarch in the process if you use a Tribal Invasion.
Which is why I got big enough that I could raid the Byzantines for concubines with weak claims, which I ensured were inheritable by declaring a claim war on their behalf, then white peace out of it. Eventually I had an heir with a claim, which after inheritance, I could press.

This was delayed by a generation because said heir was granted a barony by one of my vassals. I ended up pissing off all my vassals by my attempts to provoke my preferred heir into rebellion by vassal retraction, and ended up at war with all of them except my preferred heir.

But after I pressed the claim for the Byzantine Empire I Tribal Invasioned all the land I needed for the Roman Empire, made Constantinople my capital, and used the RoI decision to convert to local religion (and then a further abandon heresy because I tanked Orthodox moral authority and got unlucky), created Jerusalem to get enough prestige and piety, and convinced enough vassals to convert to Orthodox to seat all of the pentarchs to mend the schism and form the Roman Empire.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The honorary title of despot gives a non purple heir their position in succession as if they were born in the purple.

I'm aware of this mechanic. Despot is not available to a Khazar Orthodox Patrician, I haven't checked exactly what the conditions are for it yet.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

lurksion posted:

New minor patch:

And apparently we won't be getting another anytime soon

That's...pretty disappointing given what the thread (well, Strudel Man) has been digging up over the past few pages.

Yeah but on the plus side it's also saying to modders "here's a stable platform to work on for a while"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So... is the fact that the Depose Antipope CB does not in fact depose an antipope working as designed, then?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How's the quality of the Early Western and Eastern clothing packs? Howe about the various unit packs - I don't really see the point, but do they look kind of cool?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How's the quality of the Early Western and Eastern clothing packs? Howe about the various unit packs - I don't really see the point, but do they look kind of cool?

The clothing packs are eh. The unit packs I can sort of recommend, because it's not all knights in mail hacking at each other, you get Norse axemen and Muslims with scimitars,etc. It's immersion, but it's not that great an investment. I still kick myself occasionally for paying the full 2 bucks for some of the shield, face, and unit packs.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

All of the cosmetic DLC is excellent and 100% worth full price.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dareon posted:

The clothing packs are eh. The unit packs I can sort of recommend, because it's not all knights in mail hacking at each other, you get Norse axemen and Muslims with scimitars,etc. It's immersion, but it's not that great an investment. I still kick myself occasionally for paying the full 2 bucks for some of the shield, face, and unit packs.

Thanks, I guess I'll skip that stuff for now. I feel like Paradox is kind of overdoing it with the tiny DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Thanks, I guess I'll skip that stuff for now. I feel like Paradox is kind of overdoing it with the tiny DLCs.

Err you are seriously listening to a guy that thinks the tiny little men you can barely see are worth it? The face stuff is better because you can actually SEE the portraits. That said, the tiny guys you have to zoom right in to see are also good.

• Locked thread