Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

has anyone ever attempted to make a dating site for only goons? i think it would be an interesting social experiment

they have already here it is http://www.nsopw.gov/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
My self-summary

Things you need to know about me from the get-go:

* I think in paragraphs. I treat the message feature on here like email.
* I consider myself to be an alpha female (with one hell of a soft side). No cubs, please.
* I'm not terribly interested in commitment/monogamy right now. That could change, but I am willing to wager it won't for the foreseeable future.
* I hold almost no beliefs. This does not mean I am without convictions.
* I will always notice a puppy/kitten, even in the middle of a sentence.

I'm enamored with the "little things," the small gestures and moments in life that make it worth living. I'm also enamored with decorative/unusual chopsticks.

I tend to defy categorization, and can be quite the social chameleon. However, I do have an excellent sense of who I am and what I am about. I'm an outlier on most psychological testing, including the Myers-Briggs (although I am definitely an introvert).

I consider myself a Browncoat.

Regarding the "Personality" tab: Please read "more indie" as the other end of the spectrum from "more traditional," because that's what OKCupid is looking at.

Not your average Virgo: I'm rounded off with the moon/midheaven in Scorpio, ascendant in Capricorn, and most of the rest somewhere in Libra.

Without Darkness, there is no Light.

What I’m doing with my life

For work, I'm a customer service rep for a small but rapidly growing logistics franchise. In a nutshell, I deal with UPS so you don't have to.

My escapes are along the lines of gaming, theatre, writing, making shiny things, and long walks to nowhere in particular. I love a meaningful conversation over a glass of something.

I'm working on the next round of growth and understanding with regard to my health. This is an ongoing project.

I'm continuing my practice and study in Shambhala Buddhism, as well as general mysticism.

I’m really good at

Applied psychology and sociology. Negotiation. Helpful everyday trivia. Telling stories. Mediation/crisis resolution. Event coordinating/execution. Cold reading. Non-fiction/persuasive writing. Crafting. Training/on boarding.

The first things people usually notice about me
It is probably the hair - currently a "black cherry" (according to the box), half-shaved into my standard undercut. I've been told that it's the eyes.

Personality-wise? It's probably the intensity. I've been called a "cult of personality," and have been told there is a calm about me that is just as intense. Calm waters run deep.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food

Books: I don't read much fiction anymore, but if I do, it's medical/legal thrillers or things I consider to be genre-defining... I'm a sucker for Palahniuk, Vonnegut, Deaver, Walker, Morrison, and Sedaris (David, not Amy). My non-fiction is a lot of humanities, memoirs, and medicine.

Movies: I'll admit, I'm rarely current on media. But I dig on a wide variety of things - Fallen, Serenity, American Beauty, Monsters, Inc., Repo: The Genetic Opera, Toy Story, American History X, Breakfast Club, Dogma, Secretary, Fido, The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, The Fall, Cabin in the Woods, Princess Bride.

TV: I haven't watched "real" TV in years, and don't keep up on anything specific. But, for a sense of what I'm into, favorites include Archer, Community, Dead Like Me, Firefly, Better Off Ted, Game of Thrones, Red vs. Blue, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, House, Castle, Bones, Bob's Burgers, and Futurama. For the most part, I dig "smart" tv. I'm also a shameless game show junkie. I don't watch the news. This does not mean I am ignorant of current events worldwide.

Music: Depending on the mood the answer is anywhere from classical to industrial, easy on the new country, sub-genre metal, and bubblegum pop. I love a capella, and folk music warms my heart. I used to play bassoon with an orchestra and tenor sax in a jazz group, so those have a special place.

Food: Seafood is fantastic, from the lobster's tail down to the popcorn shrimp and scallops. I make a lemon-basil salmon that'll melt in your mouth - and it's even better on the grill. I dig on "real food," the kind you get from actual farmers, and some stuff off the beaten path (baked sugar peas are the best snack ever). I also do "comfort food," and to a Midwesterner, that means "hot dish." The occasional bordering-on-rare steak or prime rib is delicious. I'm still learning and exploring food and cooking - it's a wonderful adventure.

The six things I could never do without

Truth be told, I could lose everyone and everything I have tomorrow and be just fine. That said, six things I would rather not be without:

* My Tribe - be it blood, love, or dharma that brings us together. I know great people who challenge, accept, and support me.
* Tools and "the manual" - I am a champion of the DIY idea and the Self-Repair Manifesto. I'm also a fan of getting purging what no longer holds value.
* My planning system - I rely on a few different tools to do this, but the idea is that it's simple, people-first, and value-driven.
* New ideas - I love to learn, and deeply value the perspectives of other people.
* Gaming - It's my escape, my sanity, an arena of my storytelling and my training ground.
* My computers/tablet/smartphone - I appreciate the digital age, and the technology that makes my life both richer and easier.
I spend a lot of time thinking about
How to help people be their authentic selves.

Patterns, process, performance, and power.

On a typical Friday night I am
Very likely out with some of my Tribe.

If not? I'm probably home, curled around a cup of tea and a good book.

The most private thing I’m willing to admit

It's hard to consider most things "private" when I consider very little to be taboo for conversation - in the right circumstance. But, a couple of things that should probably be made known:

I deal with some medical stuff. It doesn't keep me from having an amazing life, but it does affect things.

On a lighter, but no less important, note: I have a terrible weakness (read: fan-girl) for Kirby. He's the pink puffball of inhaling awesome.

You should message me if

You're not intimidated by a woman who can hold her own, and still appreciates an opened door. You're in the mood for a drink (tea, coffee, cider, or cocktail) with or without overtones.

You must be willing to be upfront and honest with me as a person. I don't play games unless we've all agreed to the rules. :)

Please respect my time and my person by reading this profile before you respond, and knowing that any solicitation for sex or any rush to communicate by phone/text/in person will be immediately disregarded.

The deal breakers: If you are looking for a mother for young children, refuse to have pets (ever), are completely vanilla, can't handle structure, or have no ambitions toward self-improvement (however you define that), we're not a good romantic match long-term. drat near everything else is negotiable (including time frame).

Regarding age range: It's kinda flexible. It's intended to give indicators of maturity, generational expectations, and life experience. Too far outside of it, and we might have some problems as dating partners, but I have friends who range from teens to seniors. :D

And yes, I'm also on Fetlife.

tl;dr: Lefty, geeky, kinky (alpha sub/switch), Buddhist Browncoat with soft skills and some medical issues. Looking for partner with self-awareness, maturity, open to heavy Gen-X/indie leanings. Gender irrelevant. Must: not want child-bearing partner, be willing to have pets, be GGG, handle structure decently, have ambitions (open to type). Bonus points for bikers who bought their ride with their investments. (If you did, I heavily encourage you to contact me, regardless of the rest of this)

edit: are pics banned this round? because the pics for this one are great.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I have carefully constructed a number of blanket forts around myself to ensure the fact that I'm dumb as a brink ever attacks me.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
im gender irrelevant

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lol at that list of books. That may be the worst profile yet.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Haha I just saw 'must be GGG' - good guy greg?

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
If your "Message me if" and "Self summary" sections are the same length, chances are you aren't attractive enough to be setting those kinds of terms.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
She watches smart tv and House, so she must be pretty drat clever tho

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

opus111 posted:

Ha. No.

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
ok, i'll bite

what is GGG?

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
gay geriatric german?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

opus111 posted:

good guy Greg (White)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Release those loving pics

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Literal Carehaver posted:

ok, i'll bite

what is GGG?

Good, Giving, and Game. It's from the Savage Love advice column

It means you are willing to do weird stuff in bed within reason

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Arian_Samurai posted:

Good, Giving, and Game. It's from the Savage Love advice column

It means you are willing to do weird stuff in bed within reason

like build a fort or something? a weird fort?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

opus111 posted:

She's gonna end up with D'n'D Greg

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Giving gnarly gonnorhea

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010
How come people that describe themselves as intellectuals and go through a lot of work to come across as smart always have poo poo jobs

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

the chief v2 posted:

How come people that describe themselves as intellectuals and go through a lot of work to come across as smart always have poo poo jobs

society always wants to keep down the intellectual

cams
Mar 28, 2003

there aren't jobs for smart people

why would people in charge want to provide incentive for critical thinking? go sell some cell phones you gently caress

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Ninja Pangolin posted:

And yes, I'm also on Fetlife.

catchphrase

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
how fat is she

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

1G is lookin p drat good

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
off the charts

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

1 g and 3 g have knocked knees but 2 g doesnt, and why? you might think, fat legs means normal position legs. buyt no, 3 g has fat legs too. why was it drawn like this

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The fastest I've ever given up on a profile was one word in. That word was "transhumanist".

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Hadaka Apron posted:

The fastest I've ever given up on a profile was one word in. That word was "transhumanist".

Is that the pinnochio disorder?

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

weren't the browncoats the proto-nazis? what the gently caress?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

subhuman filth posted:

Those were brownshirts, I think browncoats are Firefly fans.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

subhuman filth posted:

*steps on post, hears click, has to get rest of squad to bail him out*

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Fullhouse posted:

Is that the pinnochio disorder?

transhumanist is code for "I'm such a lovely person physically and mentally I need to pretend technology would be able to fix that to give myself reasons to not off myself"

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
carne diem

seize the (okcupid) cow

good hunting out there for the post valentine's day massacre desperate human fat bombs

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Those were brownshirts, I think browncoats are Firefly fans.

Yeah I highlighted that because she says "I defy categorization" and then in the next sentence intentionally puts herself squarely into a really boring and generally insufferable category. I mean, Firefly is good, I enjoyed watching it too, but making it a central part of your identity-to the point where it's at the top of your online dating profile-is just so goddamn annoying.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Ninja Pangolin posted:

Yeah I highlighted that because she says "I defy categorization" and then in the next sentence intentionally puts herself squarely into a really boring and generally insufferable category. I mean, Firefly is good, I enjoyed watching it too, but making it a central part of your identity-to the point where it's at the top of your online dating profile-is just so goddamn annoying.

People that identify themselves by their fandoms are universally boring and insufferable.

See: the tumblr thread

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

mr sad posted:

*steps on post, hears click, has to get rest of squad to bail him out*

just leave me and live your life. nobody else should have to go down because i was ignorant about firefly fandom

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

:words: incoming...

quote:

Before you message me, read this: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-creepy-dating-site-messages-every-woman-has-received/
Don't be one of those guys.

I wrote this info about a year ago. My circumstances have changed a fair bit since then but I am leaving the below information as that's still true of who I am underneath. I've added some new updates in brackets, that info is up to date as of June 2014. I'm also perfectly fine to discuss my circumstances with you, all you have to do is ask. It's just fairly personal so I'd rather not post it here!

I'm in my late twenties (30 in April now, eek!
Still only feel about 23, so tend to go for men my age or younger. Won't rule out older men, but not too much older, usually. Only a couple of years), was in a long term relationship that I thought would end in marriage. Then I met someone else and fell head over heels in love with him. Sadly, although there was a lot of love there, the age difference proved insurmountable, and so we are now just good friends.

EDIT: I'm one of those awful people who cannot abide text speak, poor spelling or lack of grammar. Use of "2", "u" etc, is the fastest way to turn me off! I'm also not into anything sleazy, sorry.

I am not someone who can't be alone, I don't mind being single, but I do feel that at my age, I would like to start thinking about settling down. I don't meet too many new people, so thought I would give this a go.

Yes, I am a fatty. I know that will put a lot of people off. I am also smart and funny, and pretty easy going. Under the fat, I think I'm actually pretty good looking, and I am okay with who I am. I would like to lose weight for my health, but I don't have much will power. So if you think you'd like to help me, that'd be great, but don't do it thinking I will end up looking like a Barbie doll!
EDIT: I mention this because people have been really nasty to me about it on here. Not that I expect anything less on the Internet but if you describe yourself as a nice guy then I don't expect a barrage of insults just for saying hello! You could simply say Sorry, you're not my type. Anyway, mentioned it because I have copped it a bit so I'm a lot less likely to approach people now. If I favorite you, that means I'm interested. If you're not, then just ignore me. If you are then please say Hi!

I have eclectic tastes in music, punk, pop, rnb. I don't listen to it often though, usually I listen to audiobooks while I am driving. I love to read, just about anything. I am a big Harry Potter fan and I love anything by Stephen King (except his fantasy series, can't handle the Dark Tower stuff) or Marian Keyes. I also love biographies and anything funny. Adrian Mole, James Herriot, etc.

I also love TV - stuff like The Office, Community, Eureka, Just Shoot Me...

I am usually quite bright and bubbly. Some people might say I was kooky, but I don't like the image that brings up, of people being really into sporks, and being random. No, I just like jokes and bright colours.

(This is what I added in March. I've left it here so people know what I've been through. But keep reading and I've added a current update at the end which is a LOT more positive!)
(A couple of people have asked me about my circumstances at the moment, which I said above I wouldn't put here because it was personal. But if you've got this far, you deserve to know, even though it will probably scare everyone off. So here we go....

I have chemical depression. It runs in my family and I have managed it with medication for about ten years with no real problems. However last November I had what they call a major depressive episode (fancy name for a breakdown really). I'd been working admin in not for profit for years so had been very over worked and under paid and was getting pretty burnt out. Plus as my profile says, I had been studying and found it didn't work for me (psychology) so back to work. And I was having a hard time at work with my boss being awful to me. Then I went to New Zealand for a week and when I came back, I just didn't want to go in. So badly that it made me physically sick. But I went in, and my boss chewed me out for 2 hours because she had asked me to empty a desk drawer of mine before I left for the holidays and I had, but it was the tiniest (and I mean seriously tiny) bit dusty. We had cleaners at work so if she wanted the drawer wiped out, all she had to do was leave it open but instead she left it and yelled at me over it when I came back. Anyway there's a lot more story about stuff that happened with her that I can tell you later if you're interested. But I kind of lost it, started crying and got huge stress and anxiety and started having massive panic attacks at the thought of going in to work. So I quit and got another job.
This boss was an ***hole too (yes, I did consider that the problem was me, but having spoken to other staff, they confirmed that he really was an ***hole) and the anxiety got worse til eventually I couldn't go there either and I completely broke down.
Got referred to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with major depressive disorder and anxiety and got me on a variety of meds. I see her once a month, because each new med or new dosage level takes a month to kick in which is why several months later I am still not doing too well. So my psychiatrist is trying to get me on the right mix of meds plus I see a therapist once a week. I'm on sickness benefits so I'm not working or anything.
I have good days and bad days and annoyingly there's no way to predict when I will be good and when I won't. Some days I'm perfectly fine and other days I'm so down all I can do is cry or so anxious that I get all fidgety and hyperventilate and can't leave the house.
I know that's a HUGE drawback for anyone considering a relationship with me. I have a support network of friends and family that I turn to when I'm not doing well. And if I started anything up, I wouldn't be able to use that person as a support as it's way too much pressure to put on a new relationship. So I am realistic about that and have a plan to deal with it, which is, like I said, not using that person as a support at all.
But being realistic I also know this means a lot of people will think I'm just too much work and have too much baggage and I get that too. So if that's how you feel I totally understand and wouldn't blame you! I'd still like to make friends though so just let me know!)

Update June 2014:- my visits to the psychiatrist paid off, we found a medication that works for me and I am now doing better than I have since I was a teenager! I'm working full time, doing an art class and going to the gym. I'm saving to go to the USA in December and then I think I would like to go back to uni and work on building a career instead of just a job :-)

:rolleyes:

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i'm a browncoat and my profile is just the best you'll find in the 'verse

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

toggle posted:

:words: incoming...

:rolleyes:

Yes, I am a fatty.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

InterFaced posted:

Yes, I am a fatty.

I have chemical depression - launches into 5 paragraphs of detail concerning her lovely job and dusty desk drawers.*

* can tell you more if you'd like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Darth123123 posted:

* can tell you more if you'd like

NOPE

:suicide:

• Locked thread