Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

requesting this be a 3d animation with this music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBqGC9sVBXY&t=51s and the skull slowly slipping out of th screen

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah iirc 1-wire devices leech power from the bus during downtime and their energy cap is measured in nF i think

1-wire must have been developed on a dare

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah iirc 1-wire devices leech power from the bus during downtime and their energy cap is measured in nF i think

[ASK] me about bit banging 1 wire read and writes with nothin but Texas Instrument's p. decent documentation

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

with a bit of fiddling you can keep a 1wire device dead without power draw

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mido posted:

with a bit of fiddling you can keep a 1wire device dead without power draw

there's a lot you can kill with a bit of fiddling

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

eschaton posted:

there's a lot you can kill with a bit of fiddling

i2c me :wink:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mido posted:

i2c me :wink:

i'm the spy by wire

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm the spy by wire

master in slave out if you know what i mean

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

neg my chip select

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

neg my chip select

twist my pot

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

resist my flow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

those are communications related :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
did someone say supercap

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

did someone say supercap

What kind of device need 470F of capacitors and what is the onrush current draw?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm not sure what the original application is; I picked it up at Halted because it was cool. It's made by Fuji Electric High-Tech Corp and is called "SCU" according to the sticker on it, which I assume means "super capacitor unit" but idk

wait poo poo ive been using capitals and punctuation and poo poo

i think i remember looking the caps up and finding that they have a pretty high internal resistance, so id expect that they're for some sort of rail stiffening or something, rather than a huge amount of rush current

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
upon cursory googlin', it appears to be a raid array cache "battery" bank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-CA05954-0060-Cache-Backup-Expansion-Unit-/161335857151
similar to that, same part number except for the end bit. so id guess this is for something very similar

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

p sweet alpha channel

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oscilloscopes and stuff

90 minute dig into a 100 ghz scope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3w_EWgGQuk

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Raluek posted:

id expect that they're for some sort of rail stiffening

:q:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
should i get this http://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-HAKKO-936-AQ28-ESD-SAFE-Electronic-Iron-soldering-station-D-27-/151358382294 thank

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my coworker has a few of the chinese ones with all the vowels in the name and honestly theyre pretty dang good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so i need to be able to program some simple little spi flash chips, whats the professional version of bus pirate/flashrom because thats slow as molasses

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
maybe a xeltek is01? i think our mfg folks use that

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

so i need to be able to program some simple little spi flash chips, whats the professional version of bus pirate/flashrom because thats slow as molasses

bit bang it with an arduino :unsmigghh: (really easy to do actually, and potentially "fast enough")

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the total phase aardvark is a pretty cheap spi/i2c host adapter that can do SPI @ 8MHz

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Mido posted:

bit bang it with an arduino :unsmigghh: (really easy to do actually, and potentially "fast enough")

is there any reason you wouldn't use the arduino / avr's hardware SPI? i'm not familiar with the arduino but i'm familiar enough with mcu's to know the simplest peripherals can be broken pos's :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

the total phase aardvark is a pretty cheap spi/i2c host adapter that can do SPI @ 8MHz

so wait the bus pirate is 8mhz, I have a 64Mbit flash. it shouldn't take 30 minutes to write. is this just flashrom being terrible?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Yeah maybe its not the flashrom thats the problem. i googled "64Mbit spi flash" and this is the first data sheet i found. http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/25036B.pdf

this fellow has 256 byte pages, a "fast" 1.5ms page program time, this is about 45 seconds 6 minutes to program the whole 64Mbit. maybe 30 minutes is reasonable for your flash device i did a bad math

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 16, 2015

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
hopefully it isn't doing something moronic with the flash like trying to write it byte-at-a-time resulting in 256 read-modify-writes per page

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

Yeah maybe its not the flashrom thats the problem. i googled "64Mbit spi flash" and this is the first data sheet i found. http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/25036B.pdf

this fellow has 256 byte pages, a "fast" 1.5ms page program time, this is about 45 seconds 6 minutes to program the whole 64Mbit. maybe 30 minutes is reasonable for your flash device i did a bad math

yeah was working that out when you did the edit. the chip in question is actually the winbond equivalent, small spi flash chips are all very similar though

when i said flashrom i meant the program flashrom which was originally intended for open source/free software crazy people to modify their motherboard's bios

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

64Mbit/115kbaud = 600s.

:ughh:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
where does the 115k baud come from?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a bus pirate uses a usb serial port for all commands

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flashcat looks like exactly what I want

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am looking for a decent reference for rf circuits things. coworker told me some website like rfcircuits.com or something but coworker was wrong. any suggestions?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
the necronomicon

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Blotto Skorzany posted:

the necronomicon

analog is magic already so this is absolutely right

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Bloody posted:

i am looking for a decent reference for rf circuits things. coworker told me some website like rfcircuits.com or something but coworker was wrong. any suggestions?

if you're taking book suggestions i used this in school, it does a decent job explaining modulation forms, radio receivers/transmitters and transmission line stuff, IIRC it was pretty good at showing circuit examples too
http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Electronic-Communication-9th-Edition/dp/0132251132

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the ARRL Handbook is also really good to keep around

I remember one time at a ham club meeting i won a copy of the ARRL Antenna Book and holy poo poo that was like better than any box of candy to my nerdy self

• Locked thread