Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Nobody thought the graphics for dissidia arcade look very, well un-final Fantasy?

In what way? They looked exactly how I'd expect new-gen Dissidia to look. Pretty much like FFXV, or maybe FFXIII in 1080p - the detail level is a bit hard to tell in a YouTube trailer. A Gamersyde copy would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Nobody thought the graphics for dissidia arcade look very, well un-final Fantasy?
No, they look like pretty much every final fantasy since 10.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I thought they looked kinda lovely, so as a result, they're as 'Final Fantasy'as possible.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I thought they looked okay, just wish they were stylized a bit more I guess.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Meh fair enough. It seems (to my eye) like models are missing a shader texture they usually have or they're modelled differently or are rendered in a different engine or a different art director. :shrug:

They just don't look right to me. I'll have to watch the video again to better outline what seems off.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is there any way to see how much experience a party member has and how much they require to get to the next level in FFX-2 without actually getting in a battle and winning/running away? I've picked every menu option I can think to and don't see it anywhere.

It's on the bottom of the Equip menu.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So that "Beacause" FF7 re-translation supports the Steam release now, thanks to a recent patch. It's bad, though, right? I know fan translations (especially of Final Fantasy stuff) almost universally are.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is that the translation that replaces "last minute character" Cait Sith with "TOTALLY COOL ORIGINAL CHARACTER JUDAS MCBACKSTAB" that has come up in the thread?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is that the translation that replaces "last minute character" Cait Sith with "TOTALLY COOL ORIGINAL CHARACTER JUDAS MCBACKSTAB" that has come up in the thread?

That's a separate mod but it's all fed through that same frontend so if the "associated" translation is bad than yes, that's it and I would love to see especially cringe-worthy examples.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
There was some talk about it in the thread, starting from here. Consensus was that it wasn't good enough to justify the effort of patching it and has the common fan translation problem of the translators being way too far up their asses.

I really should track down a complete script of that thing. I'm not playing it ever, but I really do want to read it...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

univbee posted:

I know fan translations almost universally are

Eh, there's plenty of good fan translations out there. Like, yeah, there's awful ones too, but not almost universally so.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Endorph posted:

Eh, there's plenty of good fan translations out there. Like, yeah, there's awful ones too, but not almost universally so.

Fair enough, this is probably more a case of the bad ones haunting me more than the good ones.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Look no further than their changelog

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
They changed Choco Bill to Grean.

Yeah, I don't need to read anything else.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Crime Hazard still makes me laugh for how oblivious it is.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There have been worse choices, check out the official FF7 French translation:

Note the protagonist's default name.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
No Claude no sale

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've heard the German FFVII is pretty terrible too. Spanish too. I've gathered most of them went Japanese -> English -> (target language). So it was an extra layer of lost in translation.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

univbee posted:

The French translation is poo poo, but Clad is actually the pseudo phonetical spelling of Cloud's pronunciation into French. Some (bad) translators do this because they figure we'd pronounce the name wrong (they're right but that's besides the point).

Thankfully translations are way more professional these days (FF7 was the first FF in Europe, I believe)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've heard the German FFVII is pretty terrible too. Spanish too. I've gathered most of them went Japanese -> English -> (target language). So it was an extra layer of lost in translation.

This is exactly what happened because that's how Eidos handled things in those days. So all of the FIGS translations have the exact same issues the English one has, plus some new ones. :argh:

Kurtofan posted:

(FF7 was the first FF in Europe, I believe)

Correct, unless you count Mystic Quest (except it was called Mystic Quest Legends in Europe, no FF in the title).

Dragon Quest/Warrior started with 8 and for a while they didn't even put the numbers on the games because the re-release numbering was jumping around all over the place, although those translations were really loving good otherwise (at least the French ones were).

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

univbee posted:

Correct, unless you count Mystic Quest (except it was called Mystic Quest Legends in Europe, no FF in the title).

And for some added confusion Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu) for the Game Boy was released as Mystic Quest (no FF, no subtitle) the same year.

e: Also I had to check and we didn't get a single SaGa game either until SaGa Frontier 2 in 2000, and for a moment there I was afraid it would've been loving Unlimited Saga. For some reason I always thought we got the GB Final Fantasy Legend games at some point.

Veib fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 16, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How long has the "My cool Origina Character Iscar Matthias will replace Cait poo poo as his name is pronounced in the original Japanese" thing been in development anyway? Seems to have been at least a couple years now, so who knows if that will ever come to fruition.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually, I'm just about finishing up.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The GIG posted:

Crime Hazard still makes me laugh for how oblivious it is.

I'm fond of their insistence on Moguri.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

univbee posted:

I always name him Clod anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I always forget how great of a game Curtain Call is. With games these days being more of a time sink combined with busier days, it's good to have a fun relaxing game I can pick up and play for half an hour, but have the option to spend a couple hours in Quest Medley if I wanted to.

Hoping Persona 4 Dancing All Night is going to be in the same vein, but I doubt it'll be as charming as Curtain Call.

Still hoping for more DLC characters (particularly Basch or Sabin), but since Krile disappeared into the aether it's looking unlikely.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sakurazuka posted:

I always name him Clod anyway.

Proud Clod*

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

My favorite is changing Yuffie's dad's name from Godou to Godot because everything has to be a reference to something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vanderdeath posted:

My favorite is changing Yuffie's dad's name from Godou to Godot because everything has to be a reference to something.

To be fair, he is the only dude in Wutai with a Japanese name :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It's probably a case of the reveal trailer's screen being a bit too clean and uncluttered, as well as the arena being a relatively plain woodland coastal area. It's probably not using final or polished assets, though I agree that you'd expect a trailer for something in the FF franchise would have a bit more panache.

Ironically, Y'shtola fits right in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
people who hate cait sith are no friends of mine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

To be fair, he is the only dude in Wutai with a Japanese name :v:
Everyone has Japanese last names but Westernish first names, except the really old people. I took it as a sign of Wutai's westernization.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

On reflection, Dissidia is one of my favorite ff games. I hope they do the campaign and bonus content well.

A not totally depressing backdrop world be a nice perk too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Everyone has Japanese last names but Westernish first names, except the really old people. I took it as a sign of Wutai's westernization.

Shinra-zation. Soon they'll be randomly injecting citizens with eldritch horror dna they found in a landfill and building replicas of their city that open doors in the mayors office.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This has nothing to do with FFVII but it does relate to the translation sperg thing.

Isn't there a JRPG where some people insist the main character's name is Crod or Crawd when it's actually Claude? Could have sworn I heard that somewhere. I always remember it because it's incredibly silly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't there a JRPG where some people insist the main character's name is Crod or Crawd when it's actually Claude? Could have sworn I heard that somewhere. I always remember it because it's incredibly silly.

Star Ocean 2, and that's less translation insistence and more what his voice acting sounds like in the English version. "Crawd has advanced forward!" :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

And that's only the original version I think, didn't they redub Second Story for the PSP version? Or was he always voiced by Spike Spencer?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Shame-ridden Clod**

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh don't worry guys we're safe from iscar matthias

quote:

Reply #918 on: Yesterday at 20:46:40
Announcement:

It's with a bit of regret (especially given how much I loathe this crappy, useless character) that I have decided to remove the Cait Sith replacement project. The fact is, I have too many projects to undertake, both here and in my private life to warrant correcting yet another problem in FF7. I am not ready to say I will never start/finish the mod, but for meow it's removed from the Reunion and will stay that way until I am satisfied all other projects are completed. It's still unlikely that it will be completed. I did have some nice ideas about how to go about the mod too, the writing side wouldn't have been a problem.

Cait Sith was a huge dose of stupid by the writing team. When you have a big, white, stuffed toy + robot cat character that speaks Scottish, breaking all suspension of disbelief, bouncing about during a serious scene (like Aerith's death)- you know someone has been stupid in the writing department. It really shouldn't be up to us to sort these issues- all it took was someone with a modicum of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

oh don't worry guys we're safe from iscar matthias

Man, I was really pulling for that crazy kid.